1992 - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 6th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #76
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

RAIN HINDERS MUCH OF FIRST-DAY ACTION
The State
Columbia, SC
Tuesday, March 31, 1992
BRUCE SMITH, The Associated Press

A steady rain washed out most of the first-day Monday at the $550,000 Family Circle Magazine Cup.

The schedule called for 21 singles and doubles matches. But the rain started about noon and continued for four hours at the Sea Pines Racquet Club. By late afternoon, crews had dried the puddles from the green clay on one of the side courts and play resumed.

When evening fell, a total of four main draw matches were complete.

In singles, Mary Lou Daniels defeated Ginger Helgeson 6-1, 6-4. Stacey Martin eliminated Helen Kelesi who was forced to retire in the first set with a stomach virus.

And Tami Whitlinger defeated Kataryna Nowak 6-4, 7-5 in a match that was delayed for five hours because of rain. A doubles match was also completed.

None of the tournament's top eight seeds were scheduled to play Monday. And none of the lower seeds completed matches. The top seed is defending champion Gabriela Sabatini.

What started as light showers turned into a steady downpour by midafternoon. In 1985, 22 Family Circle matches were washed out by an opening-day rain.

The rain was the second setback in as many days for the tournament, now in its 20th year.

On Sunday, top-ranked Monica Seles was forced to withdraw. Seles, who would have been the tournament's top seed, injured her wrist in a fall from a bicycle last weekend. Her arm will be in a soft cast for three or four days, tournament officials said.

Sabatini, ranked No. 3 in the world, is now the tournament's No. 1 seed. Martina Navratilova, ranked No. 4 and a four-time winner of the tournament, is seeded second.

During the rain delay, No. 3 seed Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario said she feels good about the tennis she's playing after beating Sabatini in the Lipton International two weeks ago.

"I always play well here. I get to the semifinals and I always stop there," she said. "I think I'm playing really well right now and I try to do my best and see if I can win this one too."

She made the semifinals of the Family Circle Cup last year and in 1989.

This year's Family Circle Cup, with the biggest purse in tournament history, features six of the world's top 10 players.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #77

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

If tennis were an authored work of fiction, this would be an example of dramatic foreshadowing...

Capriati: Teen, tennis lives collide
USA TODAY
Monday, March 30, 1992
Doug Smith

Jennifer Capriati turned 16 Sunday, but life recently for the millionaire tennis phenom has not been sweet.

The bubbliness displayed two years ago, when she became the youngest U.S. player to turn professional, has been replaced by business-like rebelliousness. As a pro, her income from contract endorsements, exhibitions and prize money has exceeded $8 million.

"Am I a rebellious little kid?" she asks rhetorically. "I'm sure I have a little of that in me like every kid. I guess that goes with growing up. Do I give my parents a tough time? Sometimes I'm tough for them; sometimes they're tough for me."

After an Australian Open quarterfinal loss to Gabriela Sabatini, Capriati, No. 6 in the world, said the pressure to win "from everyone ... (was) becoming much more serious."

A week later, she sulked and seethed after a first-round loss in Tokyo. Of Capriati's mood in Tokyo, Martina Navratilova said, "She was not a happy camper."

The National Enquirer recently told of "a bitter battle" with her father, Stefano, who manages her career. Capriati's mother, Denise, called the Enquirer story "disgusting."

"You get criticized for everything you do," Denise says. "We didn't do everything right; we didn't know what to expect. Everything hasn't been perfect."

Stefano Capriati mainly has been criticized for chasing exhibitions. Capriati closed 1991 by playing five consecutive exhibitions (Baltimore; West Palm Beach, Fla.; Knoxville, Tenn.; Lexington, Ky.; and Charleston, S.C.). She had played at least a half-dozen more earlier in the year.

Some top-ranked pros receive six-figure payments for an exhibition. Agents receive up to 20% for negotiating exhibition contracts but generally do not share in the players' earnings at tour events.

Capriati, the No. 4 seed at this week's Family Circle Magazine Cup in Hilton Head, S.C., has played three Kraft Tour events but canceled an exhibition scheduled last month.

"Jennifer said she's not going to play any more exhibitions," Denise says. "She said she tried it and she just doesn't want to do it; she just wants to play (tournaments)."

Capriati's decision to stay in school - she's a 10th-grader at Palmer Academy in Wesley Chapel, Fla. - heightens the stress associated with being a young pro. Despite tutorial assistance, she returned to classes after Tokyo weeks behind her classmates.

Her grades have dropped from straight A's "to A's and B's," says Jo Palmer, the school's supervisor of instruction. "The work has been good, but it's more difficult because some of her subjects now require more analytical thinking. The math is still easy for her; it suits her temperament."

Says Denise: "I told her, let's get this straight. When you try to do tennis full time and go to school full time, you can't excel at both. It's just impossible.

"Your time will come in tennis. You don't have to be the youngest ever to do this or that. That's not important. She's not ready now; it's just not her time."

Says Capriati: "Finishing school is important to me, because what if I get injured or don't want to play tennis anymore? I'd have my high school education and then could at least think about going to college. Besides, I like going to school, to be with my friends and stuff."

Palmer says Capriati thrives on the "socialization part" of being in school: "Sharing the day-in-day-out secrets with friends is very important at her age. She loves our field trips and going to school parties. At our Valentine's Day party, she danced every dance. The wilder the better. I thought she was going to get whiplash."

When she's home, Capriati often goes to movies, shopping malls and restaurants with a group of friends.

"Sometimes we have slumber parties. It's really fun," says Sarah Heer, 17, from Switzerland.

"When we go shopping, a lot of people ask her for autographs," says Bettina Pieri, 16, from Italy. "She doesn't like all the attention."

Says Alex Lehr, 17, Westport, Conn.: "When she's around her friends, she knows she can forget about tennis and all the stress and be herself."

Tensions, which usually exist between parents and teen-agers in every family, become particularly tricky when the teen-ager happens to be a superstar breadwinner.

For example, two years ago, the Capriatis nixed plans to move to Boca Raton, Fla., when Jennifer insisted on staying at the Saddlebrook resort. Last summer, the family moved into a new home next to a lake at Saddlebrook.

Jim Loehr, a sports psychologist who has counseled several top pros, including Gabriela Sabatini and Jim Courier, also is counseling the Capriatis. He declines to discuss the family 's situation specifically but has said father-daughter or mother-son relationships are more apt to overcome problems than same-sex relationships.

"The parent in the different-sex relationship is able to exert comfortable pressure," Loehr says. "Pressure in the father-son or mother- daughter relationships is much more lethal because to the child, it's coming from the person that represents who the child most wants to be. That kind of criticism can be devastating from a self-esteem perspective.

"In the case of (Monica) Seles, Capriati or (Steffi) Graf, you have fathers who are very dominating personalities. It's easier for the daughters to accept their criticism, but the fathers have to know when to back off."

For Stefano Capriati, the backing-off process began last November when he hired Pavel Slozil, Graf's former mentor, to coach his daughter. Stefano's main job, he says, is to be her father.

"I'm there so she can cry on my shoulder. She needs me when she loses," he says. "As a father, I say something maybe she doesn't like, but that's normal. Somebody must tell her how to eat and when to sleep. You must have a little discipline; what do they know about discipline? I feel my soul is at peace. As a father, I do what I'm supposed to do."

The giggly, wide-eyed junior who once enthralled the media with her girl-next-door charm has been replaced by a no-nonsense professional.

"The innocence is gone," she says. "No more acting like a baby. I go in, answer my questions and that's it. Maybe I'm more mature."

But her demeanor and attire at the recent Lipton International Players Championships at Key Biscayne, Fla., suggests the maturation process continues. After her last Lipton match, she wore lipstick, makeup, a ring on each finger, a bracelet on each wrist, a Led Zeppelin shirt and a black, below-the-knee skirt.

"I know some people are saying, `Oh man, she's just going through a stage,' " Capriati says. "Maybe I am, but right now I like it."
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #78

SABATINI LEADS STRONG FIELD FOR FAMILY CIRCLE
The Charlotte Observer
Monday, March 30, 1992
RICK BARGER

The Family Circle Magazine Cup has come a long way in its history, and this year`s has the makings of being the most competitive ever.

Not only will third-ranked Gabriela Sabatini be back to try and defend her title in Hilton Head Island, S.C., but she`ll have plenty of company from the elite on the women`s tennis tour.

Among those scheduled to compete in the 20th edition of the week-long event that begins today are No. 4 Martina Navratilova, fifth-ranked Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and No. 6 Jennifer Capriati.

Steffi Graf, ranked second in the world, was to be the only player missing from the world`s top six players, but No. 1 Monica Seles sprained her wrist while riding her bicycle in Florida Saturday and has pulled out.

Still, the tremendous field doesn`t surprise Rosie Casals, who won the tournament`s initial title in 1973.

"Family Circle and Sea Pines Plantation is a beautiful setting for tennis," she said. "...It seems to be like the opening season for outdoor tennis."

And Sabatini could once again be the story when the final is played Sunday at an expanded 9,300-seat stadium. She`s relaxed and back in an atmosphere she enjoys.

"I love the tournament," she said. "It`s a lot of fun to play here."

And she has always done well there. In 1985, after three months as a pro, Sabatini, then 14, advanced to the title match where she fell to Chris Evert. Many things have changed for Sabatini since. She broke through and won her first Grand Slam tournament two years ago at the U.S. Open and, now, armed with a more diversified game, is dangerous on any surface.

But she`s not putting pressure on herself. When facing competition like she`s likely to meet in this week`s 56-player singles field, that`s enough.

"I`m not thinking about having to defend my title," she said Saturday night in a phone interview. "I`m going to try to play my best; not try to put pressure - thinking I have to win. I just want to go match by match."

But the clay surface should be to her liking, having grown up in Argentina where clay courts are dominant.

Casals said she thinks the field is wide open and previously indicated Seles would be the one to beat. But she didn`t discount Sabatini, now the top seed, or second-seed Navratilova.

"I would say that Sabatini, again, is probably playing fairly good tennis and certainly is capable of winning," Casals said.

"I will always have to include Martina because, even though I don`t believe clay is her best surface, she has performed very, very well on clay." Beating Navratilova, who won the U.S. Women`s Hardcourts Sunday in San
Antonio, is a formidable task in Hilton Head Island, where she has walked away with the title four times, the last in 1990.

But Sabatini, who has won two titles this year, is pleased with how she`s playing, especially after finishing second in the Lipton International Players Championships in Florida two weeks ago.

"I`m playing very well," she said. "I`m confident."
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #79

FERNANDEZ OUSTED IN HILTON HEAD
The Charlotte Observer
Wednesday, April 1, 1992
OBSERVER NEWS SERVICES

After torrential rains washed out most of the first-day matches, the sun broke through at the Family Circle Magazine Cup on Tuesday and seven of the nine seeded players advanced.

Conchita Martinez, at No. 5 the highest seeded player in action, dispatched Mary Lou Daniels 6-0, 6-2, but the No. 9 seed, Gigi Fernandez, was upset by unseeded Silke Frankl.

The top seeds, including top-seeded Gabriela Sabatini and No. 2 Martina Navratilova, begin play today.

Fernandez saved two set points in the first set. But then she won but three games the rest of the way in losing 6-7 (7-9), 6-2, 6-1.

It was the biggest victory in Frankl`s five-year career. She was ranked 115 in the world coming into the tournament. Fernandez is ranked No. 19.

The No. 10 seed, Natalia Zvereva, also won, defeating Julie Shiflet 7-6 (7-3), 6-1. Six other seeds advanced.

But Patty Fendick, the No. 15 seed, was ousted by unseeded Ines Gorrochategui of Argentina 7-5, 6-3.

Heavy rains on Monday washed out most of the first-day action at the tournament. Thirty matches were played Tuesday.

Singles

First Round

Silke Frankl, Germany, def. Gigi Fernandez (9), Aspen, Col., 6-7 (7-9), 6-2, 6-1; Natalia Zvereva, (10) CIS, def. Julie Shiflet, Virginia Beach, Va., 7-6 (7-3), 6-1; Magdalena Maleeva (11), Bulgaria, def. Rachael Ann Jensen, Atlanta, 6-1, 6-1; Brenda Schultz, (12), Netherlands, def. Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer, San Diego, 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-3.; Sandra Cecchini, Italy, (13) def. Katrina Adams, Houston, 6-2, 6-0.; Amanda Coetzer, South Africa, (14) def. Angela Kerek, Germany, 6-3, 6-2.

Ines Gorrochategui, Argentina, def. Patty Fendick, (15) Sacramento, Calif., 7-5, 6-3.; Debbie Graham, Fountain Valley, Calif., (16), def. Laura Garrone, Italy, 6-3, 6-4.; Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, Germany, def. Bettina Fulco-Villela, Argentina, 6-4, 6-4.; Shaun Stafford, Gainsville, Fla., def. Sandy Collins, Odessa, Texas, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5).; Ann Grossman, Grove City, Ohio, def. Mercedes Paz, Argentina, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2.; Patricia Hy, Canada, def. Linda Ferrando, Italy, 6-4, 6-4.; Audra Keller, Memphis, Tenn., def. Christine O`Reilly 5-7, 6-1, 6-3.; Andrea Temesvari, Hungary, def. Elena Brioukhovets, CIS, 6-0, 6-2.

Halle Cioffi, Knoxville, Tenn., def. Federica Bonsignori, Italy, 6-0, 6-2; Petra Ritter, Austria, def., Silke Meier, Germany, 6-3, 7-6 (14-12); Veronika Martinek, Germany, def. Denisa Szabova, Czechoslovakia, 6-1, 6-0; Caroline Kuhlman, Lakeside Park, Ky., def. Florencia Labat, Argentina, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3; Patricia Tarabini, Argentina def. Eugena Maniokova, CIS, 6,1, 6-3; Sabine Hack, Germany, def. Beverly Bowes, Dallas, 6-3, 6-1; Donna Faber, Bradenton, Fla., def. Linda Harvey-Wild, 6-4, 3-6, 6-2.

Second Round

Conchita Martinez, (5) Spain, def. Mary Lou Daniels, Munster, Ind., 6-0, 6-2.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #80

CAPRIATI SENT PACKING AFTER 2ND-ROUND UPSET
The Charlotte Observer,
Thursday, April 2, 1992
Observer News Services

On a day when the top three seeds easily advanced, fourth-seed Jennifer Capriati was bounced Wednesday from the Family Circle Magazine Cup.

Capriati was eliminated by unseeded Veronika Martinek 6-4, 1-6, 6-4. The victory was the biggest career win and an early birthday present for the German, who turns 20 Friday.

Martinek is ranked No. 83 in the world. Capriati, who celebrated her 16th birthday earlier this week, is No. 6.

Top-seed Gabriela Sabatini, second-seed Martina Navratilova and No. 3 Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario all advanced, winning in straight sets in second-round matches.

Sabatini defeated Halle Cioffi 6-0, 6-0, Navratilova ousted Donna Faber 6-0, 6-2, and Sanchez Vicario defeated Sabine Hack 6-4, 6-2.

"She just got everything back. She played top spin. She came in to hit it," Capriati said. "I don`t think I was really off. I was just impatient a lot of times."

After dropping the first set, Capriati stormed back to force a third. But Martinek broke Capriati in the first game and built a 5-2 lead on the green clay at the Sea Pines Racquet Club.

"By 5-2, I thought, now I can win," Martinek said. However Capriati won the next two games.

At that point Martinek admitted, "I thought I was going to lose." But she said she told herself "when you are leading 5-2 in the third set, you must win."

The crowd at stadium court was pulling for Capriati and an audible sigh went up when she lost the first point of the final game. Martinek broke Capriati that game, winning the match when Capriati netted a forehand.

Martinek immediately hugged her brother and coach Jaroslava, who lifted her into the air.

"She was not playing her best match," Martinek said. "It was good for me that she didn`t play so well."

Two other seeded players lost. Caroline Kuhlman, a qualifier, ousted No. 8 Zina Garrison 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 and Patricia Hy defeated 11th-seed Magdalena Maleeva 3-6, 6-3, 6-2.

Wednesday`s second-round singles: Gabriela Sabatini (1), Argentina, d. Halle Cioffi, 6-0, 6-0; Martina Navratilova (2) d. Donna Faber, 6-0, 6-2; Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (3), Spain, d. Sabine Hack, Germany, 6-4, 6-2; Veronika Martinek, Germany, d. Jennifer Capriati (4), 6-4, 1-6, 6-4; Jana Novotna (6), Czechoslovakia, d. Patricia Tarabini, Argentina, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4; Leila Meskhi (7), Georgia, d. Audra Keller, 6-1, 6-2; Caroline Kuhlman d. Zina Garrison (8), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3; Natalia Zvereva (10), Belarus, d. Shaun Stafford, 6-1, 6-1; Patricia Hy, Canada, d. Magdalena Maleeva (11), Bulgaria, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2; Brenda Schultz (12), Netherlands, d. Stacey Martin, 6-4, 6-2; Sandra Cecchini (13), Italy, d. Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, Germany, 6-4, 6-1; Amanda Coetzer
(14), South Africa, d. Tami Whitlinger, 6-3, 6-4; Debbie Graham (16) d. Ann Grossman, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3; Ines Gorrochategui, Argentina, d. Andrea Temesvari, Hungary, 2-6, 6-3, 7-5; Petra Ritter, Austria, d. Silke Frankl, Germany, 6-3, 6-3.

First-round doubles: Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, Germany-Conchita Martinez, Spain (5) d. Elena Brioukhovets-Eugenia Manikova, Russia, 6-1, 6-2; Mary Lou Daniels-Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer (7) d. Florencia Labat-Ines Gorrochategui, Argentina, 6-2, 6-7 (6-8), 6-3; Halle Cioffi-Audra Keller, d. Bettina Fulco- Villela, Argentina-Laura Garrone, Italy, 3-6, 6-3, 6-0.

Second-round doubles: Jana Novotna, Czechoslovakia-Larisa Savachenko-Neiland, Latvia, (1) d. Elise Burgin-Katarina Maleeva, Bulgaria, 6-1, 6-0; Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Spain-Natalia Zvereva, Belarus (2) d. Beverly Bowes-Wendy Prausa, 6-2, 6-1; Patty Fendick-Gigi Fernandez (3) d. Renata Baranski-Laura Glitz, 6-2, 6-4; Sandra Cecchini, Italy-Patricia Tarabini, Argentina, d. Amanda Coetzer, South Africa-Andrea Temesvari, Hungary, 6-4, 6-2.

Today`s featured matches (11 a.m.) - Stadium Court: Leila Meskhi vs. Debbie Graham; Patricia Hy vs. Jana Novotna; Natalia Zvereva vs. Martina Navratilova; Gabriela Sabatini vs. Amanda Coetzer. Court One: Petra Ritter vs. Caroline Kuhlman; Conchita Martinez vs. Sandra Cecchini; Ines Gorrochategui vs. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario.

(Noon) - Court 15: Veronika Martinek vs. Brenda Schultz.*
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #81

NAVRATILOVA FALLS ON CLAY AGAIN
Sun-Sentinel
Friday, April 3, 1992
JIM SARNI

HILTON HEAD, S.C. -- Natalia Zvereva had the choice of weapons in her duel with Martina Navratilova at the Family Circle Cup Thursday.

She picked clay. And on clay, Zvereva is lethal; which Navratilova knows too well.

Zvereva zapped Navratilova 6-4, 6-2, the third time the 20-year-old has defeated Navratilova in three clay-court matches.

"I love to play Martina on clay," said Zvereva, who defeated Navratilova at the 1988 French Open and the 1989 Family Circle Cup. "But she beats the hell out of me on grass."

"Natalia always gives me fits," said Navratilova, who is 3-0 against Zvereva on grass, her best surface. "She always plays well against me. She was going for broke and made the majority of her shots. She's been struggling, but she played like a Top Ten player today."

The Family Circle Cup, blessed with seven of the Top Ten before the tournament began, is quickly running out of marquee names.

No.1 Monica Seles sprained her right wrist in a bicycle accident last weekend and withdrew. No.6 Jennifer Capriati was upset by Veronika Martinek Wednesday. No.10 Jana Novotna lost to Patricia Hy 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 earlier Thursday.

Left is defending champion Gabriela Sabatini (3), Lipton champion Arantxa Sanchez Vicario (5) and Virginia Slims of Florida runner-up Conchita Martinez (8).

The Spainards cruised as Sanchez Vicario crushed Ines Gorrochategui 6-2, 6-1, and Martinez routed Sandra Cecchini 6-1, 6-2, while Sabatini was ready to finish off Amanda Coetzer when the sun went down behind the Carolina pines.

There are no lights here, so Sabatini, who led Coetzer 7-5, 5-3, will have to complete her match this morning.

Coetzer, the 20-year-old South African who upset Sabatini at the Virginia Slims of Florida last month, led 5-3 before Sabatini charged back and won the next four games and the first set.

Today's quarterfinals match the Sabatini-Coetzer winner against Hy; Brenda Schultz, who ousted Veronika Martinek 6-2, 6-2, against the last American, Caroline Kuhlman of Lakeside Park, Kent., a qualifier ranked No. 170; Sanchez against Leila Meskhi, last year's runner-up; and Martinez against Zvereva.

Zvereva, whose ranking slipped to No.27, has been looking for a big win all year.

"I felt like I needed a breakthrough," said Zvereva, who trains in Delray Beach with Juan Nunez, who is also coaching Schultz. "I have been losing in the first and second rounds and that gave me a big un-confidence. I felt I was hitting the ball well in practice, but matches are different."

Navratilova, who entered the Family Circle Cup as a wild card to make up for the tournament she missed in Indian Wells in February, took the defeat with a shrug.

"You can't expect to do great on this stuff with just a few days of practice," said Navratilova, who has won the Family Circle Cup four times.

"That and a lack of confidence on clay were evident."

Navratilova committed two easy mistakes as she tried to even the first set at 5-all.

Navratilova's clay-court season is over after two matches -- she beat Donna Faber Wednesday. Navratilova will skip the French Open again and prepare for the grasscourt season in England.

-- John McEnroe will replace Jimmy Connors in the NBC broadcast booth at the French Open and Wimbledon. Connors, NBC's analyst the past two years, wanted to concentrate on playing in the two Grand Slams. McEnroe will skip the French Open, but will play Wimbledon as well as commentate.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #82

NAVRATILOVA UPSET BY ZVEREVA ON CLAY AGAIN
The Charlotte Observer
Friday, April 3, 1992
Observer News Services

Second-seed Martina Navratilova was eliminated 6-4, 6-2 Thursday by Natalia Zvereva, while a qualifier, for the first time in a decade, made the quarterfinals at the Family Circle Magazine Cup.

Navratilova`s match was delayed until late afternoon because of two three-set matches on the green clay of stadium court at the Sea Pines Racquet Club. With the mottled light from the sun shining through the trees, Navratilova said she had a hard time seeing the ball at the net.

"After two or three games, it got pretty nasty out there," she said. "For somebody who comes to the net it was like strobe-light tennis."

Zvereva, seeded 10th, has won all three of their meetings on clay.

"I love it (playing her) on clay. Not on grass that much," she said, smiling. "It was not bad today. I was able to pass her most of the time."

In the first set, Zvereva built a 5-2 lead before Navratilova came back to make it 5-4. But Zvereva broke her in the last game.

"She was going for broke and making the vast majority of her shots," Navratilova said. "You can`t give her that many opportunities. Regardless of what I did, she was doing the right thing."

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, the No. 3 seed, dispatched Ines Gorrochategui 6-2, 6-1 and now meets Leila Meskhi, the No. 7 seed who made last year`s final. Meskhi tallied a 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 win over No. 16 Debbie Graham.

Meanwhile, Caroline Kuhlman, coming back after four years away from the tour with injuries, became the first qualifier in 10 years to make the tournament quarterfinals. Kuhlman, 25, defeated Petra Ritter 6-2, 7-5. Today, she meets No. 9-seed Brenda Schultz, a 6-2, 6-2 winner over Veronika Martinek. And unseeded Patricia Hy eliminated sixth-seed Jana Novotna 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.

Top-seed Gabriela Sabatini led her third-round match against Amanda Coetzer 7-5, 5-3 when play was suspended because of darkness.

The last qualifier in the quarterfinals at the Family Circle was Zina Garrison in 1982. Ironically, Kuhlman beat her Tuesday.

Thursday`s third-round singles (seedings in parentheses): Natalia Zvereva (10), CIS, d. Martina Navratilova (2), 6-4, 6-2; Arantxa Sanchez Vicario (3), Spain, d. Ines Gorrochategui, Argentina, 6-2, 6-1; Conchita Martinez
(5), Spain, d. Sandra Cecchini (13), Italy, 6-1, 6-2; Patricia Hy, Canada, d. Jana Novotna (6), Czechoslovakia, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1; Leila Meskhi (7), Georgia, d. Debbie Graham (16), 3-6, 6-2, 7-5; Brenda Schultz (12), Netherlands, d. Veronika Martinek, Germany, 6-2, 6-2; Caroline Kuhlman d. Petra Ritter, Austria, 6-2, 7-5; Gabriela Sabatini (1), Argentina, led Amanda Coetzer (14), South Africa, 7-5, 5-3 (suspended by darkness).*
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #83

DUTCH SCHULTZ ALIVE AT FAMILY CIRCLE
Sun-Sentinel
Saturday, April 4, 1992
JIM SARNI

HILTON HEAD, S.C. -- The Final Four at the Family Circle Cup features three of the best clay courters in the world -- defending champion Gabriela Sabatini, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and Conchita Martinez -- and surprise -- Brenda Schultz.

Schultz, the Dutchwoman who lives in Delray Beach, came through a giant hole in the draw, created by the upsets of Jennifer Capriati and Zina Garrison, to reach her biggest semifinal ever.

"I had a good draw but I still had to beat good players," said Schultz, ranked No. 30, whose lone pro title was the OTB Classic in Schenectady last year. "It's very exciting to do so well at a tournament like this, and especially on clay."

Schultz, who stands 6-foot-2 and boasts the fastest serve in women's tennis, proved that she could also stay in the rallies. She defeated Rosalyn Fairbank- Nideffer, Stacy Martin and Veronika Martinek, and then topped qualifier Caroline Kuhlman of Lakeside Park, Ky., 6-3, 6-1 in Friday's quarterfinals.

Today, Schultz steps up a class to challenge Sabatini (Channels 4, 5 at 2 p.m.)

"If I'm very patient like I was today, I give myself a good chance," said Schultz, who has Top 10 victories over Mary Joe Fernandez and Jana Novotna. "Sabatini can play incredibly well, but her game can also go off. I have to make sure that I use the time when she is not there."

Schultz won a second-set tiebreaker against Sabatini at Lipton, but got crushed in the other two sets 6-1, 6-0.

"Brenda is a tough player because she does not give you much rhythm," said Sabatini, who defeated Patricia Hy 6-2, 6-3 Friday. "Her serve is not as strong on clay, but she's playing much better from the baseline."

Schultz gets a lot of attention for her serve, which was been timed at 120 miles per hour during a doubles match in Boca Raton three years ago.

"I don't believe that," said Schultz, who was timed at 109 miles per hour Friday. "Everyone talks about my big serve, but it's not true that I'm just a big server."

Today's other semifinal matches the two best players in Spain, who are both off to superlative starts. Sanchez won Lipton, while Martinez reached back-to-back finals at Indian Wells and the Virginia Slims of Florida.

Sanchez defeated Leila Meskhi 6-3, 6-3 Friday. Martinez ousted Natalia Zvereva 6-2, 6-2.

"It's nice to play a player from your country," said Sanchez, who teamed up with Martinez on Spain's winning Federation Cup team last year. "There's no pressure to beat Conchita because she is No. 2 in Spain."

Sanchez beat Martinez 6-4, 6-2 in the quarterfinals at Sydney last January, the only time they've played as pros.

"Arantxa is very quick on the court and she runs to every ball," said Martinez, who will play doubles with Sanchez at the Olympics in their hometown of Barcelona this summer.

"I have to be ready on every ball. I am playing well and I am playing happy. This should be a good match."
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #84

SAME OLD SABATINI IN HILTON HEAD SEMIS
The Charlotte Observer
Saturday, April 4, 1992
LIZ CLARKE

It`s been seven years since Gabriela Sabatini made her first big splash in tennis, advancing to the final of the Family Circle Magazine Cup at age 14.

As she prepares for today`s semifinal against Brenda Schultz of the Netherlands, it remains one of her fondest memories.

"That`s going to be in my mind always," Sabatini said Friday after cruising to a 6-2, 6-3 quarterfinal win over Canada`s Patricia Hy in the 1992 Family Circle Cup . "It seems a long time ago. I feel old now."

Today`s other semifinal features the Nos. 1 and 2 players in Spain: Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, who defeated Leila Meskhi 6-3, 6-3, against Conchita Martinez, who beat Natalia Zvereva 6-2, 6-2. TV coverage begins at 2 p.m.
(NBC, WCNC-TV, channel 36 in Charlotte).

The tournament, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary, started with seven of the world`s top 10 players. But top-ranked Monica Seles withdrew after spraining her right wrist when she fell off a bicycle while groping for her cellular phone.

Then came a flurry of upsets: fourth-seed Jennifer Capriati, followed by sixth-seed Jana Novotna and second-seed Martina Navratilova.

Of the field that remains, Sabatini`s half of the draw is the easier. She may say she "feels old" going into today`s match, but she`s acting anything but.

Sabatini, third best in the world, said she`s enjoying her life and her tennis as she hasn`t in years.

She brought her motorcycle to the tournament, and rides it to matches while a car follows behind carrying her gear. It`s a black and lavender Honda 600 with pink stripes, which she rides without a helmet.

"I`m very happy in everything that I`m doing," she said. "My tennis is improving, and that`s what I`m looking for."

Sabatini has won both previous meetings with Schultz, who beat qualifier Caroline Kuhlman 6-2, 6-2 in Friday`s last quarterfinal.

If Sabatini and Sanchez-Vicario win today, Sunday`s championship would be a rematch of last month`s Lipton International Players Championship in Key Biscayne, Fla., where Sanchez-Vicario upset Sabatini 6-1, 6-4.

Sabatini and Sanchez-Vicario are at home on the tournament`s slow-paced clay courts. And both are fit enough - and patient enough - to wear down opponents with a barrage of steady, rarely erring strokes.

Against Hy, Sabatini showed more stability than flash. She hit hard, aggressive ground strokes but came to the net only sparingly, getting stung four times out of 17 by Hy`s crisp passing shots.

"She doesn`t do any fancy stuff, but you can`t find a solution," Hy said. "The ball is so spinning and high, I can`t hit through it. I try to take it early on the rise, but your shoulder can only do so much."

Sanchez-Vicario mixed up her shots to keep Meskhi off balance, peppering her topspin ground strokes with lobs and drop shots.

"You never know what kind of game I`m going to play," Sanchez-Vicario said. "I have great confidence in every shot."

Family Circle Cup

FRIDAY`S QUARTERFINALS

Gabriela Sabatini (1), Argentina d. Patricia Hy, Canada, 6-2, 6-3.

Conchita Martinez (5), Spain, d. Natalia Zvereva (10), Belarus, 6-2, 6-2.

Arantxa Sanchez Vicario (3), Spain, d. Leila Meshki (7), Georgia, 6-3, 6-3.

Brenda Shultz (12), Netherlands, d. Caroline Kuhlman, Lakeside Park, Ky., 6-3, 6-1.

TODAY`S SEMIFINALS

(beginning at 11 a.m.)

Arantxa Sanchez Vicario vs. Conchita Martinez

Gabriela Sabatini vs. Brenda Shultz
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #85

Sabatini, Martinez reach Family Circle Cup final
The Tampa Tribune
Sunday, April 5, 1992
RICK SCOPPE, The Associated Press

Gabriela Sabatini and Conchita Martinez should be comfortable with the surroundings when they play in today's final of the Family Circle Magazine Cup.

Sabatini, who beat Brenda Schultz 6-3, 6-2 in Saturday's semifinals, is the defending champion and a four-time finalist in this tournament.

Martinez, who beat fellow Spaniard Arantxa Sanchez Vicario 6-4, 7-5, is in the final of her third consecutive tournament.

"It's going to be a tough match," Sabatini said. "She's always a tough opponent."

Sabatini is 1-1 against Martinez on clay. Sabatini, 21, beat the 19- year-old Martinez 6-1, 6-0 at the 1991 Italian Open but lost to her 6-3, 6-2 in the 1989 Eckerd Open in Largo.

Martinez had never made it past the quarterfinals in the Family Circle until this year, while Sabatini made the finals in 1985 at 14 and again in 1988. But it wasn't until last year that Sabatini was able to win the tournament, beating Leila Meskhi 6-1, 6-1.

In advancing to the finals, Sabatini showed that while power may be nice, patience often will suffice on the slower clay surface.

For all her power, Schultz, ranked 30th in the world, had problems holding serve. She was broken by the third-ranked Sabatini three times in each set, falling at love in the final game when her attempted drop shot ran into the net.

"She's been serving very well," Sabatini said. "It's very powerful. She's getting all her first serves in very consistently. So I was ready for that."

In the first semifinal, Martinez and Sanchez Vicario battled back and forth from the baseline, each waiting for the other to make a mistake.

Martinez opened the door first in both sets, but then slammed it shut by rallying from a break down in the first set and two breaks down in the second set.

"I just think you have to be patient. Don't miss," Martinez said. "When she hit a short ball, I was trying to go with my forehand and hit hard."

After breaking Sanchez Vicario at 15-40 to win the first set, Martinez suddenly found herself down 4-1 with Sanchez Vicario serving.

"I really was thinking that I was going to play three sets," Martinez said. "But I was patient and just tried to hit the ball over the net."

Martinez, ranked No. 8, got one break back, but then struggled on her serve in the next game when Sanchez Vicario, ranked fifth, had three break points. But Martinez fought back to salvage her serve and broke Sanchez Vicario to tie it at 4.

Martinez completed her stunning turnaround by breaking Sanchez Vicario at love for the match with a forehand winner.

"She played a good match," Sanchez Vicario said. "But every time I tried to finish a point, I missed the point. So we can say it was not my day. I missed easy shots that I normally don't miss."
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #86

MARTINEZ GETS THIRD SHOT AT TOURNEY TITLE
Sun-Sentinel
Sunday, April 5, 1992
JIM SARNI

HILTON HEAD, S.C. -- Conchita Martinez lost the Evert Cup final to No. 1-ranked Monica Seles in Indian Wells.

Martinez lost the Virginia Slims of Florida final to No. 2-ranked Steffi Graf in Boca Raton.

Today, Martinez plays her third straight final against No. 3-ranked Gabriela Sabatini at the Family Circle Cup (Channels 4, 5 at 2:30 p.m.)

Is the third time a charm, or strike three?

"This is the moment for Conchita," said Paco Lopez, Martinez's coach. "Not just the final this time, the championship. I think she has the confidence to win."

Martinez's confidence soared Saturday when she defeated her Spanish countrywoman Arantxa Sanchez Vicario 6-4, 7-5. Sabatini, the defending champion, stopped Brenda Schultz 6-3, 6-2.

"Arantxa is No. 5 and I am No. 8, so normally I would have to lose this match," said Martinez, who previously beat Sanchez only at the 1988 Spanish Championships. "Arantxa is playing good, she won Lipton. But I am playing well too."

Sanchez was up 3-1 in the first set and 4-1 in the second set, but Martinez fought back.

In the first set, Martinez broke back for 3-all, then broke Sanchez in the final game at 15.

In the second set, Martinez won four consecutive games from 1-4 to 5-4. Sanchez held at deuce for 5-all, but then Martinez won eight of the last nine points, breaking Sanchez at love.

"At 4-1, I was thinking of playing three sets, but I was very patient," Martinez said. "Arantxa made a lot of mistakes. I think she was nervous."

Sanchez committed 36 unforced errors to 28 for Martinez, who smashed 15 winners with her powerful forehand.

"I started well, but I couldn't finish the point," Sanchez said. "I missed easy shots I usually miss. This was not my day."

Schultz, the Dutch star who lives in Delray Beach, stayed with Sabatini for six games, but then she lost her serve. Sabatini broke again to win the set 6-3.

Sabatini broke for 3-1 in the second set, lost her serve, then broke open the match, winning the final three games and dropping only three points.

"I tried to mix up the game," Sabatini said. "I knew she would play aggressive. I learned a lot from beating Brenda at Lipton. I've very happy with the way I played. I'm playing with confidence, and mentally I'm very strong."

"Gaby had to play her best today," said Boca Raton's Juan Nunez, Schultz's coach. "Brenda played well, but she should have mixed up her serve. When Gaby played back, Brenda should have spun her serve in. But she kept going for aces and hitting harder, and eventually she lost control."

Schultz committed 30 unforced errors, twice as many as Sabatini.

"Against Martinez, I hope to play the same and take control of the match from the beginning," Sabatini said.

Sabatini is 5-2 against Martinez, but they have split two matches on clay.

Martinez went 3 for 3 in clay court finals last year, and has not lost a clay court final since 1989, to Manuela Maleeva in Geneva.

"Gaby is going to have to fight and attack and be careful of Conchita's forehand," said Carlos Kirmayr, Sabatini's coach.

Sabatini, who needed to win Saturday to keep the No. 3 ranking from Martina Navaratilova, is in her fourth Family Circle Cup final in eight years. Sabatini defeated Leila Meskhi last year, after losing to Chris Evert in 1985 and Navratilova in 1988.

Sabatini was the Lipton favorite but lost to Sanchez. She doesn't want another Spanish underdog biting her foot.

"A victory, if it comes," Kirmayr said, "would be very welcome."
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #87

MARTINEZ STUNS SANCHEZ, GETS FINAL SHOT AT SABATINI
The Charlotte Observer
Sunday, April 5, 1992
LIZ CLARKE

Gabriela Sabatini can consider herself warned.

When Conchita Martinez is happy, her coach says, she`s a dangerous tennis player. Martinez is happy these days. And today, she is Sabatini`s opponent in the championship match of the Family Circle Magazine Cup (2:30 p.m., NBC, WPCQ, channel 36).

Martinez used a blistering forehand and heap of patience Saturday to oust fellow countrywoman Arantxa Sanchez Vicario of Spain 6-4, 7-5.

In the day`s other semifinal, Sabatini, the defending champion and world`s third-ranked player, dismissed hard-serving Brenda Schultz 6-3, 6-2.

Sabatini holds a 5-2 record against Martinez, who, like Sabatini, thrives on clay. Their styles are similar: heavy topspin, a good bit of patience and a preference for the backcourt.

Sabatini predicts a difficult match.

``She`s always a tough opponent,`` Sabatini said. ``She likes to hit that forehand very much, so I`m just going to try to play the same as I did today, and try to have control.``

Schultz approached Sabatini with a sensible game plan: keep the ball low, mix up the shots, and move Sabatini around.

But it was Sabatini who appropriated the strategy, yanking Schultz from one side of the green clay court to the other with powerful, topspin-laced strokes on both the forehand and backhand sides.

Schultz, who stands 6-2, has the most powerful serve on the women`s tour, clocked in 1990 at more than 120 mph. But its punch is negated on clay, and Sabatini handled it with ease, breaking Schultz three times in each set.

Schultz`s volley wasn`t a weapon either. She seemed reluctant to come to the net - even on short second serves.

``On clay, it`s very hard to come to the net,`` Schultz said. ``She put pressure on me at the right time. That`s her experience, I guess.``

To the computer rankings, Martinez`s win over Sanchez Vicario was an upset. But it came as less of a surprise to those who have tracked Martinez in recent weeks.

Martinez, 19, had reached two finals since the beginning of March, losing to top-ranked Monica Seles and No. 2 Steffi Graf.

She had lost nine games in three matches entering the semifinal against Sanchez Vicario, with whom she`ll play doubles in the Summer Olympics.

Sanchez Vicario opened a 3-1 lead in the first set. Then the momentum shifted.

Martinez ran down a few sneaky drop shots. And her passing shots started to click, blistering past Sanchez Vicario when she ventured to the net.

``I just tried different things because it was not possible all the time to stay back,`` Sanchez Vicario said. ``I missed some easy volleys.``

In the second set, Martinez rallied from a 1-4 deficit by staying steady, waiting for Sanchez Vicario to miss.

Serving at 5-6 in an effort to stay in the match, Sanchez Vicario sprayed two shots long and the third wide. Her final attempt - pulling Martinez wide on the forehand side - served as an invitation to a kill. Martinez ripped it down the line for a winner.

``When Conchita is happy she`s a very dangerous player,`` Martinez`s coach, Paco Lopez, said. ``And Conchita is dangerous when she is hitting with her forehand.``

Saturday`s singles semifinals: Gabriela Sabatini (1), Argentina, d. Brenda Shultz (12), Netherlands, 6-3, 6-2; Conchita Martinez (5), Spain, d. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario (3), Spain, 6-4, 7-5.

Doubles semifinals: Jana Novotna, Czechoslovakia-Larisa Savchenko-Neiland, Latvia (1), d. Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, Germany-Conchita Martinez, Spain (5), 6-4, 6-4; Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, Spain-Natalia Zvereva, CIS (2), d. Mary Lou Daniels-Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer, (7), 6-1, 6-1.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #88

STEADY SABATINI BREEZES PAST MARTINEZ TO REPEAT TITLE
The Charlotte Observer
Monday, April 6, 1992
LIZ CLARKE

The match many thought would give Gabriela Sabatini trouble Sunday was hardly a struggle.

And Sabatini, playing with enormous confidence and new-found aggression, breezed past Spain`s Conchita Martinez 6-1, 6-4 to win her second consecutive Family Circle Magazine Cup tennis title.

The two women, ranked third and eighth in the world, have similar styles, preferring to wear out opponents with a tedious, topspin-heavy barrage from the baseline.

The strategy works best when ground strokes are executed with machine-like precision. That`s why it betrayed Martinez, whose game was on the fritz. Her normally lethal forehand proved benign, as she sprayed shots both long and wide. By the end of the match, Martinez had committed 21 unforced forehand errors to Sabatini`s three.

Sabatini, as steady as Martinez was erratic, simply hung back and played smart. She stayed with Martinez on the longer rallies, and attacked short balls with uncharacteristic verve.

``That made the difference - coming to the net when I had to come to the net,`` Sabatini said. ``She could be very tough when she takes control of the match. And when she is hitting her forehand, it could be dangerous.``

The victory gives Sabatini her third tournament title this season, and it solidifies her third-place ranking behind Monica Seles and Steffi Graf.

``I`m really feeling confident now,`` Sabatini said. ``And mentally, I feel very good. I am moving much better. I am faster.``

Sabatini opened the match with a double fault. It was one of the few mistakes she`d make in the first set.

Sabatini`s strong start signaled that she was perfectly capable of serving as a backboard for Martinez`s baseline assault.

As Sabatini`s confidence grew, she added new elements to her game. She scored winners off forehands and an occasional backhand slice. She even charged the net 28 times, winning the point 24 times off crisp volleys and
sneaky drop shots.

It was a dazzling display of strokes, and in short order, Sabatini`s lead was 5-1. Martinez managed just nine points in that stretch.

Afterward, a befuddled Martinez could only point to fatigue.

``The first set was terrible,`` Martinez said. ``I made many mistakes. I didn`t move. I was tired. In the second set, I tried to move a little bit more, but that was too late.``

With Sabatini serving for the first set at 5-1, Martinez ripped a passing shot to set up her first break point. Sabatini came in on the next point and smacked a forehand volley to get to deuce. She closed out the set behind
another volley, and an error by Martinez.

In the second set, Martinez seized control after falling behind 1-3. She broke Sabatini`s serve to tie at three games each. Up 4-3, Martinez had several chances to break Sabatini again and take a 5-3 lead. But Sabatini
refused to concede, waiting for Martinez to make a mistake.

Two games later, Sabatini served for the match. Down love-40, she fought back to win it with a final charge to the net, pulling off a masterful touch backhand drop shot that died in a puff of green clay well before Martinez
could reach it.

Next, Sabatini`s sights are fixed on a second Grand Slam title.

``I can remember what I felt when I won the U.S. Open,`` Sabatini said. ``I made a big step forward. I just want to have that feeling again.``

* In the doubles, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and Natalia Zvereva defeated Jana Novotna and Larisa Savchenko-Neiland 6-4, 6-2.

* With its new, 9,500-seat stadium, the tournament`s nine-day attendance was a record 60,825.

Sunday`s singles final: Gabriela Sabatini (1), Argentina def. Conchita Martinez (5), Spain 6-1, 6-4.

Doubles final: Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, Spain, and Natalia Zvereva, CIS (2) def. Jana Novotna, Czechoslovakia, and Larisa Savchenko-Neiland, Latvia, (1) 6-4, 6-2.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #89
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

for these reports Ms A-I love reading them!

I recall seeing Schultz that year as a group of us went down for a tennis camp at Van Der Meer's at Hilton Head. The very day we were leaving the women pros were practicing for the Family Circle. Lucky us, to see them hitting for about an hour.

In those days I used to call Schultz "Big Bad Brenda". She was really a sweetie, but her height plus the HUGE serve earned her that nickname. I used to wonder why she didn't so better at Wimbledon or other grass events until I saw her at the French. Yes, she had the killer serve. What didn't help though was her extreme Wetern grip off the forehand. In that regard she reminds of Sam Stosur.

Keep these coming Ms Anthropic-and thanks again

Last edited by Rollo : Dec 6th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #90

SABATINI AGAIN WINS FAMILY CIRCLE CUP DEFEATS MARTINEZ, IS NO. 1 IN POINTS
Sun-Sentinel
Monday, April 6, 1992
JIM SARNI

HILTON HEAD, S.C. -- Gabriela Sabatini got special permission to ride her motorcycle around town last week. Motorcycles are banned on this island playground, but Sabatini is the defending champion of the Family Circle Cup. The queen.

Sabatini should be able to break any rule she wants for another year as she rode off with another title Sunday, defeating Conchita Martinez 6-1, 6-4 before a sellout crowd of 9,300 at Sea Pines Plantation.

Sabatini (26-3) moved into first place in the Kraft Tour points standings with her third victory of the year, adding the Family Circle Cup to Sydney and Tokyo, but this one may have been the most rewarding. It erased two frustrating finishes in Florida.

A cramp-ridden Sabatini was upset by Amanda Coetzer in the quarterfinals of the Virginia Slims of Florida, then knocked off by Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in the Lipton final.

''It always gives me a lot of confidence to win a tournament,'' said Sabatini, 21, who won her 23rd title, tying her with Monica Seles.

''The Family Circle Cup has always been a very special tournament to me, ever since I reached the final when I was 14.''

Martinez lost her third successive final but dueled Sabatini brilliantly in the second set after surrendering the first quickly.

Down 1-3, Martinez won three games in a row, then had two break points for 5-3. Sabatini saved them, held, then broke for 5-4 with a nifty drop volley.

But Martinez was not done. She had Sabatini down love-40 but couldn't push her over the edge.

Sabatini won the last five points, ending the match with another delicate drop volley.

''Down love-40, Gaby played with courage, with determination,'' said Carlos Kirmayr, her coach. ''She was taking chances. I like that.''

Sabatini saved the first break point with an overhead, the second with a drop shot and the third when Martinez netted a forehand.

''At love-40, I was just thinking of the next point,'' said Sabatini, who is 6-2 against Martinez. ''I didn't play bad; she was just playing better.''

''I thought maybe I have a chance to win the second set,'' Martinez said.

''If Conchita had won the second set, she would have had a good chance in the third,'' said Paco Lopez, her coach. She had chances. With a player like Sabatini, you have to take advantage.''

Martinez converted only one of nine break points. Sabatini won four of nine.

Martinez, off with her mighty forehand, committed 32 unforced errors to 15 for Sabatini, who won 24 of 28 points at the net.

''A player like Conchita, who hits a big forehand, has good days feeling the ball,'' Lopez said. ''She had a little bad luck in the second set.''

Martinez had lost finals in Indian Wells (Seles) and Boca Raton (Steffi Graf) before Hilton Head.

''Three finals in a row is very good,'' said Martinez, who will be the fourth seed behind Graf, Sabatini and Sanchez at the Bausch & Lomb Championships at Amelia Island this week. ''Maybe the fourth time I can win.''

-- Carling Bassett-Seguso of Boca Raton defeated Kristina Brandi, daughter of Florida women's coach Andy Brandi, 6-2, 6-2 to qualify for the main draw at Amelia Island.

Bassett, 5-2 in three tournaments since her comeback, will face 16-year-old Lindsay Davenport, the U.S. Girls 18 champion, in the first round today.