1992 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #46
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

TUNING OUT TENNIS TUNNEL VISION FERNANDEZ, 20, WANTS A FAMILY
The Miami Herald - Monday, March 2, 1992
Author: AMY NIEDZIELKA

Mimi Foster and her famous little sister are sitting on a couch in Foster's Coral Gables home. They laugh, tell stories, make fun of one another. They interrupt each other constantly.

They are the best of friends.

But Mary Joe Fernandez, the little sister with the fame, No. 7 in the world tennis rankings and the silver-blue Porsche 944, admits she gets a little jealous of her big sister now and then.

That's right, there are times, Fernandez confesses, when she wishes she had what Foster has.

Their names are Megan, 6, and Carolina, 1.

"I love kids," Fernandez, 20, says. "I grew up practically an only child because Mimi and I were 10 years apart. I always wanted a brother or sister."

In the not-too-distant future, Fernandez, who is single and unattached, would like a few children of her own.

"I'm thinking of playing tennis five or six more years, and then it would be nice to settle down and have a family," she says. "But I have to save up a lot of money to be able to put four kids through school."

There's obviously a lot on Fernandez's life agenda besides playing tennis -- though she has certainly invested plenty of time in doing that and will compete in the Virginia Slims of Florida beginning today at The Polo Club Boca Raton. Fernandez, the third seed, began playing when she was 4 and taking lessons at 5. By the time she turned 6, she was entering junior tournaments.

Last year, Fernandez, who turned pro at 14, was a semifinalist in the Australian Open and Wimbledon and a quarterfinalist in the French Open. For one week in August last year, Fernandez reached No. 4 in the rankings. In January she made it to the final of the Australian Open before losing to Monica Seles.

Still, Fernandez has a long list of priorities that doesn't begin and end with tennis.

"Tennis is a big part of my life, it's one of the most important things right now, but I know it's not forever," said Fernandez, who will play the winner of today's Isabelle Demongeot-Cammy MacGregor match Tuesday or Wednesday. "There are more important things than tennis."

Her family, for one. There's her father, Jose, her mother, Sylvia, her sister and husband Chris and their two daughters. Between tournaments, Fernandez resides in an apartment in South Miami with her parents, though they are planning to move to a new house soon. Fernandez visits her sister almost daily.

"I don't really enjoy traveling to big tournaments," she said. "I enjoy playing and competing but I miss home when I'm away for more than six weeks." Growing up, Fernandez said, her sister made the mistakes, and she learned from them.

"My sister was more of a rebel than I was," she said. "I saw how that was, so I went the other way."

Fernandez played tennis, did well in school and obeyed her parents. She says she never had any desire to look for trouble. "I've never done anything really bad," Fernandez says, seeming a little amazed at the realization. "It's kind of sad. I haven't done anything wrong."

Fernandez can be too nice for her own good.

"She's a very sincere, genuine type of person," said Harold Solomon of Fort Lauderdale, Fernandez's coach since mid- December. "She's not on an ego trip at all -- sometimes to her detriment. Sometimes there's not enough animal on the court. It's my job to try to bring that out."

Fernandez's internal drive has been questioned. Is she focused enough? Does winning really matter? Will Fernandez, who has won only one singles title (Tokyo, 1990), always be a semifinalist but never a champion?

Doubtful, Solomon insists. The reason, he says, is that Fernandez is surprisingly unrefined for a player at her level. The hours she spent leading a fairly typical teenaged life left her game only partially developed. In other words, she has plenty of room for improvement.

Strength was one area Fernandez had neglected. Severely. Last year at about this time, she executed a push-up. Just one. For the first time. Since Solomon has been coaching her, however, Fernandez has been doing 70 push-ups (not all at once) each day. She also is doing 300 sit-ups daily and spending time after practice in the weight room.

Subtle, technical flaws need to be nudged out of Fernandez's game, Solomon said. In December, he got her to switch from a two-handed to a one-handed backhand volley. In January she worked on lowering her backswing 8 or 10 inches to get more spin on her forehand. After that, she did the same with her backhand backswing.

But how far she goes will be up to Fernandez.

"The No. 1 question is, does she have the drive and determination to make this happen?" Solomon said.

Hard to tell. Tennis seems to be the farthest thing from her mind as she and Foster examine a photo album and laugh about the birth of Carolina, Foster's second daughter, 14 months ago. Foster's husband held one hand and Fernandez the other during the delivery.

"I was in pain," Foster said.

"Oh, come on," Fernandez said.

"I was in a lot of pain," Foster said.

"She was not. She pushed 10 times at most and the baby was out," Fernandez said.

"The painful part comes after you push," Foster said.

"She didn't go through any pain," Fernandez said, definitively. "The woman in the next room was screaming for 3 1/2 hours. Now that was pain."

Fernandez worries about things like being a good role model. She is disturbed when she sees on-court outbursts -- racket-throwing, abusive language -- from other players.

"It has such a huge impact on kids," she said. "You have to be very careful. I wouldn't want to set that kind of example for anyone. It's a sport, not a matter of life or death."

Today's matches

CENTER COURT

9 a.m. session: Eva Sviglerova vs. Kristin Godridge; followed by Linda Ferrando vs. Shaun Stafford; Nicole Arendt vs. Barbara Rittner; Kimiko Date vs. Carling Bassett-Seguso; Marianne Werdel vs. Julie Halard.

6 p.m.: Natalia Zvereva vs. Chanda Rubin; Michelle Jackson- Nobrega vs. Halle Cioffi; Belinda Borneo/Nathalie Herreman vs. Kimiko Date/Laura Gildemeister.

COURT 23

9 a.m.: Akiko Kijimua vs. Patra Langrova; Isabelle Demongeot vs. Cammy MacGregor; Yayuk Basuki vs. Naoka Sawamatsu; Brenda Schultz vs. Meike Babel; Larisa Savchenko-Nailand vs. Petra Thoren.

COURT 24

9 a.m.: Clare Wood vs. Sara Gomer; Stephanie Rottier vs. Amanda Coetzer; Helen Kelesi vs. Katie Piccolini; Radka Zrubakova vs. Bettina Fulco-Villela; Maya Kidowaki vs. Linda Harvey-Wild.

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Nov 30th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #47

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

BASSETT-SEGUSO'S HOPES FOR COMEBACK NOT SLIM, NECESSARILY, IN SLIMS
The Palm Beach Post - Monday, March 2, 1992
Author: PATRICK McMANAMON

In September, Carling Bassett-Seguso had no intention of returning to play professional tennis.

She just wanted to work her way into better shape, and when she did that she decided to start hitting the tennis ball again.

She found she was stronger than ever, and hitting better than she had in a long time. The result: Bassett-Seguso starts one more comeback today when she faces No. 11 seed Kimiko Date in the first round of the Virginia Slims of Florida at the Polo Club Boca Raton.

"I'm just going to play and have fun with it," said Bassett-Seguso, who lives in Boca Raton.

Bassett-Seguso was ranked No. 8 in the world in 1985, but she took almost two years off after the birth of her son Holden in 1988.

She briefly came back in 1990, taking Steffi Graf to two 6-4 sets at Amelia Island, but returned to the sideline after she became pregnant again with her daughter Carling.

Now she's worked out intensely, gaining 14 pounds (to 116) and working her way toward running a mini-triathlon. As for the tennis, she just wants to see what will happen.

"Naturally I want to do well," she said. "I'm very competitive. But I'm just excited to be in the tournament. I just want to give myself a chance to get into the match, stay focused and not panic."

Bassett-Seguso received a wild-card entry into the Slims of Florida. She said she hopes to receive a wild-card into qualifying at Lipton, Hilton Head and Amelia Island as well.

Bassett-Seguso has always set goals for herself-- she had said in the spring of 1990 that she hoped to reach the Top 20 in six months-- but this time she will not set long-range goals.

"I just want to come back slowly and not make a big deal out of it," she said.

Her only long-range plan is for 1993, and that is to play mixed doubles with Bjorn Borg at the Grand Slams. Talking with Borg at Nick Bollettieri's Academy, where the two work, helped Bassett-Seguso realize she shouldn't push her comeback.

"He told me that when he came back at Monte Carlo (last year) that it was a big panic for him," Bassett-Seguso said.

Bassett-Seguso's biggest worry is not playing tennis. The key is adjusting mentally.

"You can play hundreds of practice matches, but it's the competitive aspect that I hope to be able to deal with," Bassett-Seguso said.

Bassett-Seguso understands if things go well she will not be around her children as often as she would like.

"That's the hard thing about it," she said. "I'm not a part-time mom. I have a tough time when I'm away from them."

For that reason, she will accept whatever happens, good or bad, in this comeback.

"I don't think I've ever been happier," she said. "Everything seems so balanced. I like that consistency because I'm very chaotic anyway. . . . Tennis has given me a great life."

PUGLIESE, SPADEA LOSE QUALIFIERS

Lisa Pugliese and Luanne Spadea, both of Boca Raton, were eliminated by two former University of Florida stars in the qualifying draw Sunday.

Nicole Arendt of Princeton, N.J., defeated Pugliese 6-0, 3-6, 6-1; and Shaun Stafford of Gainesville beat Spadea 6-1, 6-2.

* Matches of interest today, especially with local players: Bassett-Seguso and Date play the fourth match of the day on Center Court. Former top U.S. junior Chanda Rubin plays No. 13 seed Natalia Zvereva on Center Court at 6 p.m. Michelle Jackson-Nobrega of Palm Beach Gardens plays former UF star Halle Cioffe following the Rubin-Zvereva match on Center Court.

* Nicole Provis of Australia has withdrawn from the main draw for the $550,000 Virginia Slims of Florida due to recurring migraine headaches.

Ann Grossman of Grove City, Ohio, has withdrawn from the main draw due to a back injury sustained last week at the tournament at Indian Wells, Calif. Her position in the main draw will be replaced by Amanda Grunfeld of England. Grunfeld in the Lucky Loser No. 2 from the qualifying.

Clare Wood of England moved into the main draw as "Lucky Loser" No. 1. The Lucky Loser is the highest ranked player among those who lost in the Virginia Slims of Florida qualifying.

VIRGINIA SLIMS

AT A GLANCE

What: The Virginia Slims of Florida .

Where: The Polo Club Boca Raton.

When: Today through March 8.

Who: A field of 64, including No. 2-ranked Steffi Graf, and No. 3 Gabriela Sabatini, the defending champion. Other top-10 players are Mary Joe Fernandez and Conchita Martinez.

Tickets: Available, priced $10-24. Sunday's final has the fewest remaining. For information call 385-9512 or 1-305-491-7115.

Directions: The Polo Club Boca Raton is located east of Jog Road between Linton Boulevard and Yamato Road. All parking, though, will be at Royal Palm Polo, which is on Jog Road between Linton and Military Trail. Shuttles will run from the parking lot to the tournament site all day.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #48

'HAPPY-GO-LUCKY' DAYS OVER FOR BASSETT-SEGUSO
The Miami Herald - Tuesday, March 3, 1992
Author: SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

It took less than a minute for the writers covering the Virginia Slims of Florida to confirm how Carling Bassett-Seguso has prioritized her life.

Here she was at the Polo Club Boca Raton, in her first mass interview since making her post-childbirth return to tennis Monday -- a 6-2, 6-1 loss to 11th-seeded Kimiko Date of Japan -- and it was somewhat difficult to get her full attention.

"Holden, get down honey, please," she pleaded as her white- haired 3-year-old son ran laps around the interview platform. "Holden, can you please sit down honey?"

Then: "Holden, go out in the sun so you don't get a cold."

Clearly, tennis has moved behind children and husband in the Bassett-Seguso household ranking.

"Family changes your perspective on life in general," said Bassett-Seguso, whose daughter, Carling, turns 1 this month. "It really makes you more settled when you have all these responsibilities."

As a 17-year-old, Bassett-Seguso was ranked as high as eighth in the world in 1985. Her husband, Robert Seguso, teams with Ken Flach as the world's sixth-ranked men's doubles team.

"When you're 16 or 17 you're so happy-go-lucky," she said. "You think a lot more when you get older. Everything is more analytical. You don't work on impulse."

This coming from a 24-year-old whose short-term goals are to make a comeback on the women's tennis tour and compete in a triathlon in Boca Raton, where she resides.

The trim (5-6, 116 pounds), pony-tailed Bassett-Seguso didn't look nervous against Date, who dominated with stronger groundstrokes and a serve that hovered around 90 miles per hour.

But she conceded that she was nearly terrified.

"She was tough," Bassett-Seguso said of Date, who took 1 hour 10 minutes to earn the victory. "She plays like me but a lot better. She hits flat, hard and deep. She gives you so much pace. I felt like I was always on the defensive.

"It's like I don't have the confidence and I almost feel trapped. You want to win and everyone is watching. It was just the fright more than anything else. When you're not used to doing something over and over you panic."

Bassett-Seguso will have plenty of time for deep breathing. Her next tournament, the Lipton International Players Championships, begins the main draw March 13. She hopes to earn a berth through qualifying.

"I feel a lot of pressure in general," she said. "People expect so much. You just have to grind a little and hang in there."

Date, 21, ranked 25th in the world, struggled with her English, but called her opponent "tough," with "a good backhand."

She said she had never heard of Bassett-Seguso.

"That's OK," Bassett-Seguso said with a smile. "I never heard of her, either."

Ninth-seeded Julie Halard of France withdrew from the main draw Monday because of tendinitis in her right foot. Her position was filled by Natalia Baudone of Italy.

Nicole Provis of Australia withdrew Sunday because of recurring migraines. Clare Wood of Great Britain took her place.

Monday's results

First round: Kimiko Date (11) d. Carling Bassett-Seguso, 6-2, 6-1; Radka Zrubakova (12) d. Bettina Fulco-Villela, 7-6 (7-1), 6-1; Chanda Rubin d. Natalia Zvereva (13), 1-6, 6-4, 6-0; Naoko Sawamatsu (14) d. Yayuk Basuki, 6-3, 6-2.

Barbara Rittner (16) d. Nicole Arendt, 6-4, 6-4; Eva Sviglerova d. Kristin Godridge, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4; Linda Ferrando d. Shaun Stafford, 6-3, 6-4; Petra Langrova d. Akiko Kijimuta, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4; Cammy MacGregor d. Isabelle Demongeot, 6-2, 6-4.

Sara Gomer d. Clare Wood, 7-6 (7-2), 6-2; Amanda Coetzer d. Stephanie Rottier, 6-2, 6-2; Helen Kelesi d. Katia Piccolini, 6-1, 6-4; Petra Thoren d. Larisa Savchenko-Neiland, 6-2, 6-1; Maya Kidowaki d. Linda Harvey-Wild, 6-4, 6-4; Natalia Baudone d. Marianne Werdel, 6-2, 6-1; Halle Cioffi d. Michelle Jackson-Nobrega, 6-4, 7-5.

Today's matches

CENTER COURT

9 a.m. session: Donna Faber vs. Ginger Helgeson; followed by Lisa Raymond vs. Peanut Harper; Helen Kelesi vs. Nathalie Tauziat (5); Mary Joe Fernandez (3) vs. Cammy MacGregor; Kelesi- Brenda Schultz vs. Jo Durie-Lisa Gregory.

6 p.m. session: Steffi Graf (1) vs. Linda Ferrando; Maya Kidowaki vs. Zina Garrison (7); Nicole Arendt-Penny Mager vs. Monique Kiene-Miriam Oremans.

COURT 23

9 a.m. session: Elna Reinach vs. Natalia Medvedeva; Regina Rajchrtova vs. Durie; Leila Meskhi (6) vs. Sara Gomer; Jessica Emmons vs. Laura Gildemeister (10); Tracy Morton-Clare Wood vs. Shaun Stafford-Marianne Werdel.

COURT 24

9 a.m. session: Andrea Mueller vs. Alexia Dechaume; Radka Zrubakova (12) vs. Petra Langrova; Amanda Grunfeld vs. Silvia Farina; Petra Thoren vs. Naoko Sawamatsu (14); Eva Sviglerova- Rajchrtova vs. Kristin Godridge-Dechaume.

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Nov 30th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #49

AN AGGRESSIVE DATE SCARES BASSETT AWAY - DAY 1 IN REVIEW - MISMATCH OF THE DAY - QUOTE OF THE DAY - TODAY'S MATCHES TO WATCH - MONDAY'S OTHER SCORES - TODAY'S SCHEDULE - STADIUM - COURT 23 - COURT 24 - NIGHT SESSION, 6 P.M.
Sun-Sentinel - Tuesday, March 3, 1992
Author: JIM SARNI

BOCA RATON -- Carling Bassett-Seguso had never heard of Kimiko Date.

Kimiko Date had never heard of Carling Bassett-Seguso.

Their games, however, were not strangers.

"She's very, very aggressive," Bassett said. "She plays like me, only a lot better."

Date beat Bassett 6-2, 6-1 in the first round of the Virginia Slims of Florida Monday at The Polo Club.

It was the expected result, and the one-hour, nine-minute match was closer than the score. Date, Japan's best player, is No. 25 in the world, while Bassett had not played in almost two years.

"I need to play matches and gain some confidence," Bassett said. "When it got to 30-all, I didn't feel like I was going to win the game."

Bassett's frustration was evident in the final game of the first set. Bassett missed any easy putaway at 40-15 for 3-5, then lost the set after five deuces. Bassett missed six game points in all.

"The fright more than anything got me," Bassett said. "I haven't been in that match surrounding for a long time, and fear took over. My legs did not move the way I wanted them to."

Bassett's comeback continues next week in the qualifying at Lipton.

"I can get away from the stadium court," she said. "I won't have everyone watching."

-- Natalia Baudone went from a lucky loser to a big winner Monday.

The 19-year-old Italian, who got a second chance when Julie Halard withdrew with tendinitis in her right foot Monday morning, knocked off Marianne Werdel 6-4, 7-5. Werdel is ranked 41st, Baudone 163rd.

"This is one of my best victories," said Baudone, an aggressive right-hander from La Spezia.

Baudone was hanging around the Women's Tennis Association office when word came that Halard was the third player to pull out with an injury or illness.

Nicole Provis withdrew with recurring migraine headaches, making Clare Wood the first lucky loser. Wood lost to Sara Gomer 7-6 (7-2), 6-2 Monday.

Ann Grossman withdrew with a back injury, making Amanda Grunfeld the second lucky loser. Grunfeld plays Silvia Farina today.

Baudone was next on the list.

"I've been No. 1 on the list when there was no lucky losers," she said. "I was so happy there were three lucky losers this time, I couldn't believe it."

-- There was excitement in defeat for Michelle Jackson-Nobrega last year. This time, there was only defeat.

Halle Cioffi stopped Jackson 6-4, 7-5 Monday night, leaving the Edisson-Russell senior from Palm Beach Gardens frustrated.

"It's more disappointing to lose this time," said Jackson, 18, who as a qualifier lost in the first round to Regina Rajchrtova 6-2, 7-6 a year ago.

"I felt I had a good draw and could get to the third round. Halle's a good fighter but I should have played my game -- attacking -- more. She kept me back."

HOW THE SEEDS FARED

Sd. Winner Loser Score

11. Kimiko Date Carling Bassett-Seguso 6-2, 6-1

12. Radka Zrubakova Bettina Fulco-Villela 7-6 (7-1), 6-1

Chanda Rubin 13. Natalia Zvereva 1-6, 6-4, 6-0

14. Naoko Sawamatsu Yayuk Basuki 6-3, 6-2

15. Brenda Schultz Meike Babel 6-2, 6-1

16. Barbara Rittner Nicole Arendt 6-4, 6-4

MATCH OF THE DAY

--Petra Langrova outlasted Akiko Kijimuta 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 in the only three- setter of the day.

--Brenda Schultz overpowered 17-year-old German qualifier Meike Babel 6-2, 6-1.

-- "I hope my kids weren't watching. I'll show them videos from five years ago." -- Carling Bassett-Seguso after losing to Kimiko Date 6-2, 6-1.

ETC.

-- There are only two players under 18 in the tournament: Chanda Rubin (16) and Meike Babel (17).

-- Four players from Japan are in the main draw: Kimiko Date, Maya Kidowaki, Akiko Kijimuta, Naoko Sawamatsu.

-- The parking lot stops are named after Gabriela Sabatini, Steffi Graf, Mary Joe Fernandez and Zina Garrison.

Day session, 9 a.m.

--Lisa Raymond vs. Peanut Harper (second match, stadium): Raymond takes a break from college to try the pros.

--Regina Rajchrtova vs. Jo Durie (second match, Court 23): Battle of the six- footers.

--Mary Joe Fernandez vs. Cammy MacGregor: (fourth match, stadium) MacGregor, a qualifier from California, has never played Fernandez.

Night session, 6 p.m.

--Steffi Graf vs. Linda Ferrando (first match): Graf beat the Italian easily in 1989, the only time they've played.

--Zina Garrison vs. Maya Kidowaki (second match): Garrison is off to a great start (10-3) in 1992.

Winner Loser Score

Eva Sviglerova Kristin Godridge 7-6 (7-5), 6-4

Linda Ferrando Shaun Stafford 6-3, 6-4

Natalia Baudone Marianne Werdel 6-4, 7-5

Petra Langrova Akiko Kijimuta 6-4, 5-7, 6-4

Cammy MacGregor Isabelle Demongeot 6-2, 6-4

Sara Gomer Clare Wood 7-6 (7-2), 6-2

Amanda Coetzer Stephanie Rottier 6-2, 6-2

Helen Kelesi Katia Piccolini 6-1, 6-4

Petra Thoren Larisa Savchenko-Neiland 6-2, 6-1

Maya Kidowaki Linda Harvey-Wild 6-4, 6-4

Halle Cioffi Michelle Jackson-Nobrega 6-4, 7-5

Day session, starting at 9 a.m.

Donna Faber vs. Ginger Helgeson; Lisa Raymond vs. Peanut Harper; Helen Kelesi vs. Nathalie Tauziat; Mary Joe Fernandez vs. Cammy MacGregor; Helen Kelesi and Brenda Schultz vs. Jo Durie and Lise Gregory

Elna Reinach vs. Natalia Medvedeva; Regina Rajchrtova vs. Jo Durie; Leila Meskhi vs. Sara Gomer; Jessica Emmons vs. Laura Gildemeister; Tracey Morton and Clare Wood vs. Shaun Stafford and Marianne Werdel

Andrea Mueller vs. Alexia Dechaume; Radka Zrubakova vs. Petra Langrova; Amanda Grunfeld vs. Silvia Farina; Petra Thoren vs. Naoko Sawamatsu; Eva Sviglerova and Regina Rajchrtova vs. Kristin Godridge and Alexia Dechaume

Steffi Graf vs. Linda Ferrando; Maya Kidowaki vs. Zina Garrison; Nicole Arendt and Penny Barg vs. Monique Kiene and Miriam Oremans.

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Nov 30th, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #50

RUBIN, 16, ENJOYS COMING-OUT PARTY
Sun-Sentinel - Tuesday, March 3, 1992

BOCA RATON -- Back home in Louisiana, it's Mardi Gras time.

"Parades, parties, crowds and drinking; it's fun," said Chanda Rubin, who decided to play the Virginia Slims of Florida instead this week.

The Lafayette teen-ager is not missing out on a celebration, however, after upsetting 13th-seeded Natalia Zvereva 1-6, 6-4, 6-0 before 4,455 at The Polo Club Monday night.

"This win is real good for my confidence and ranking," said Rubin, 16, a rookie pro who is ranked No. 94.

"It's a real big win," said Ashley Rhoney, Rubin's coach. "Chanda needed a win like this. She's lost a lot of first-round matches lately, so it doesn't hurt to be on stadium court and knock off a player in the top 30."

Zvereva, ranked No. 27, was the only loser among the six seeds that played Monday. Kimiko Date (11) stopped Carling Bassett-Seguso's comeback homecoming 6-2, 6-1; Radka Zrubakova (12) downed Bettina Fulco-Villela 7-6 (7-1), 6-1; Naoko Sawamatsu (14) defeated Yayuk Basuki 6-3, 6-2; Brenda Schultz (15) beat Meike Babel 6-2, 6-1 and Barbara Rittner (16) eliminated Nicole Arendt 6-2, 6-1 during the day session before 3,822.

Top-seeded Steffi Graf and third-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez play their first matches today.

Last April, Rubin was winning the Easter Bowl at Doral. At the U.S. Open, she decided to turn pro, and then reached her first final in Phoenix.

"I got into the top 100, but trying to get to the next level has been tough," Rubin said. "It's a difficult transition, but I had no doubts about turning pro."

Rubin struggled this year, losing in the first round in Sydney (to Nathalie Herreman), the Australian Open (to Ros Fairbank-Niedeffer) and the Virginia Slims of Oklahoma (to Elna Reinach). Rubin's only victories came at a smaller USTA event in Midland, Mich., where she won three matches and gained the semifinals.

Rubin was heading for another first-round exit when she dropped the opening set quickly to Zvereva.

But Rubin shook off her nerves and began belting the ball, as Zvereva let her back in the match. At the end, Zvereva seemed to be pushing Rubin through the door.

"Natalia was in control in the first set, she had her chances in the second and then she collapsed," said Boca Raton's Juan Nunez, who has been coaching the former Soviet star, who was ranked No. 5 in the world three years ago.

"She was playing smart tennis, then she changed the game plan. Natalia needs to be more aggressive. I thought we were making progress."

"I've been working hard here for the past two weeks, so it's a bit frustrating to lose," said Zvereva, from Minsk, Belarus. "I couldn't put up with her power. I didn't have confidence. Maybe it's not time yet."

Rubin, like a lot of juniors, has a mighty forehand but needs other shots to make it in the pros.

"Chanda has a one-dimensional game, and we've been working on her slice and getting her to volley more," said Rhoney, who played college tennis at Southwestern Louisiana and has been coaching Rubin for two years, in conjunction with the USTA.

"The main thing is to make these adjustments without her feeling any pressure."

Rubin is the youngest player in the tournament, but she doesn't make many headlines.

"Nobody knows me," said Rubin, a high school junior at the Episopal School of Acadiama, who likes Bo Jackson, Eddie Murphy and rap music. "The recognition would be OK, but I don't care."

Rubin, who has a big smile to go with her big shot, may not be able to hide much longer. She plays Halle Cioffi in the second round for a possible shot at defending champion Gabriela Sabatini.

The Virginia Slims of Florida has always belonged to the teen-agers, from Carling Bassett to Steffi Graf to Jennifer Capriati.

Now Rubin comes marching in, wanting to be in that number. Mardi Gras time on Clint Moore Road.

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Nov 30th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #51

UF'S RAYMOND SHOWS THE PROS
Sun-Sentinel - Wednesday, March 4, 1992

BOCA RATON -- She is the No. 1 player on the No. 1 team in the country, but here at the Virginia Slims of Florida, Lisa Raymond is on spring break.

No one is counting on her. No one is counting on much. Raymond, No. 276 in the rankings, is a wild card, enjoying a reward for a sensational freshman season at the University of Florida.

The top Gator could turn into a real wild card in the draw, however, after an impressive 6-3, 6-1 victory over Peanut Harper at The Polo Club Tuesday.

It was a routine day: no seeds were upset. Top-seeded Steffi Graf opened with an effortless 6-1, 6-2 victory over Linda Ferrando and third-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez turned back Cammy MacGregor 6-4, 6-1. Fifth-seeded Nathalie Tauziat had the only struggle -- a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory over Helen Kelesi.

Leila Meskhi (6), Zina Garrison (7), Laura Gildemeister (10), Radka Zrubakova (12) and Naoko Sawamatsu (14) all won in straight sets.

Raymond takes on 11th-seeded Kimiko Date in today's first match, and the collegian could give Japan's top player problems with her all-around game.

"I want to have fun and play my best tennis," said Raymond, 18, from Wayne, Pa. "There's no pressure on me in this tournament."

Pressure is playing for the Gators, who are making their annual quest for that elusive national championship.

Over the weekend in Minneapolis, Florida beat defending champion Stanford for the national team indoor title.

"It was so much fun," said Raymond, who has won two collegiate Grand Slams this season. "We pulled out the semifinals against UCLA and then beat Stanford. One step at a time, but if we play the way we're playing, we can win the title this year."

Raymond, the U.S. Girls 18 national champion last year, chose Florida over UCLA.

"I loved the school and Andy (Brandi) swayed me," Raymond said. "Going to college and particularly Florida was the best decision I've made. The mentality is so gung-ho about turning pro after the juniors, but a lot more girls and boys should go to school first, at least for a year or two. I'm not ready to turn pro. My game isn't ready, and mentally I'm not ready."

Raymond's game doesn't lack much. She has a strong forehand and a wicked backhand slice. She has proven she can win on any surface.

"I've played a lot of top young players and Raymond is very good," Harper said. "I would have had to play my best to keep up with her today."

"The talent is there," said Florida assistant coach Jim Tresler, who is here with Raymond. "Lisa can play with these pros. It's a bonus to play in this tournament."

Raymond did not call for a wild card. Tournament director Sharon O'Connor called her.

"I was thrilled to get the chance," Raymond said. "I didn't even know I was in the running."

Florida does not play again until Saturday, when Mississippi visits Gainesville.

"All I'm missing are classes," said Raymond, who is a criminology major and loves Agatha Christie novels.

For now, Raymond hopes to create some suspense at the Virginia Slims of Florida .

Meanwhile, Ferrando was no mystery for Graf, who overpowered the Italian in 57 minutes.

Graf beat Ferrando by the same score she did in Mahwah three years ago, the only other time they played. Ferrando stunned Monica Seles at the U.S. Open two years ago, and it appears that is going to be her career upset.

Graf made 36 winners, 25 from the backcourt, and won 62 percent of the points. Ferrando had three break points in the match.

Graf has been practicing on the stadium court at The Polo Club, where she lives, for the past five weeks, but this was the first time she left with a score.

"I've been working really hard, but I've been missing the matches," said Graf, who has totally recovered from a combination of a viral infection and the German measles which knocked her off the tour this winter.

"I want to play real badly now."

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Nov 30th, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #52

FRANCE'S TAUZIAT AT HOME IN FLORIDA
Sun-Sentinel - Wednesday, March 4, 1992

BOCA RATON -- There are the regulars at the Virginia Slims of Florida every year -- Steffi Graf, Gabriela Sabatini, Mary Joe Fernandez, Nathalie Tauziat.

Nathalie Tauziat?

The 24-year-old French woman doesn't have any South Florida ties, but she is playing the Virginia Slims of Florida for the seventh straight year.

"I like it here," she said.

Tauziat especially liked it last year, when she reached the semifinals by upsetting Mary Joe Fernandez. It was her best showing.

Tuesday afternoon, it was a struggle to get out of the first round. Tauziat tussled with Helen Kelesi, pulling out a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory

"It was a tough first match," said Tauziat, the fifth seed. "Kelesi fights a lot."

The fiesty Kelesi fought the chair umpire after a close call against her. She fought Tauziat to 4-all in the final set. Tauziat broke for 5-4, but Kelesi had love-40 to even the match.

"At 15-40, I went to the net and won two points," Tauziat said. "I didn't want to play a tiebreaker."

Tauziat is playing only her second tournament of the year, after missing 10 days with pneumonia.

"I stayed home and watched the Winter Olympics," Tauziat said.

--

Mary Joe Fernandez is using every match opportunity to work on her game.

"I'm working on my movement," said Fernandez, the third seed, who defeated Cammy MacGregor 6-3, 6-1 Tuesday. "I'm trying to cover the court better and open it up with angles. I want to create opportunties for myself, have a purpose with every ball I hit."

Fernandez converted eight of 10 break-point opportunties against MacGregor.

--

Conchita Martinez, who plays her first match against Eva Sviglerova today, ranks fourth in winning percentage among active players with a minimum of 200 matches on the Kraft Tour:

The top five: 1. Monica Seles 182-23 (88.7), 2. Steffi Graf 516-70 (88.0), 3. Martina Navratilova 1,328-183 (87.8), 4. Martinez 166-44 (79.0), 5. Gabriela Sabatini 430-116 (78.7).

--

Regina Rajchrtova, a surprise quarterfinalist last year, lost to Jo Durie 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) in the first round Tuesday... The O'Reilly twins (Christine and Patti) play their first doubles match today... Graf will play her second match today, before Sabatini plays her first match tonight.

--

People is working on a Carling Bassett-Seguso story for next week... Sunshine Network will televise tonight at 7:30 p.m... Happy birthday to tournament director Sharon O'Connor.

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Nov 30th, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #53

GRAF ROLLS; RAYMOND ADVANCES
The Palm Beach Post - Wednesday, March 4, 1992

Good feelings were overflowing Tuesday at the Virginia Slims of Florida.

Steffi Graf feels good about her health. Mary Joe Fernandez feels good about her new game. And Lisa Raymond feels good just to be here.

Top-seeded Graf defeated Italy's Linda Ferrando 6-1, 6-2 in her opening tennis match at the Polo Club Boca Raton. No. 3 Fernandez beat Cammy MacGregor 6-4, 6-1 and Raymond, a wild-card entry and a freshman at the University of Florida, defeated veteran Peanut Harper 6-3, 6-1.

Graf, who returned to the tour last week in Chicago after suffering from German measles, dominated in a 57-minute victory on a court across the street from her home.

"I'm totally all right physically. But the only thing missing is the matches," said Graf, who owns a home at the club. "It was frustrating with my injuries last year and always having to start over. . . . I'm building up for the big ones this summer. I just need tournaments."

Graf contracted the measles in Perth while preparing for the Australian Open in January. It took three doctors on two continents-- Australia and Europe-- to diagnose the illness. Graf said she was so weak she could barely move her hands and arms.

"I have to say, I lost a little faith" in the doctors, Graf said.

Except for her week at the Virginia Slims of Chicago, Graf spent the last five weeks practicing at the Polo Club with her new coach Heinz Gunthardt.

Fernandez used a key service break at 4-4 in the first set en route to her win.

"It took me a little time to adapt to the surroundings," Fernandez said, "but I'm glad I got over it."

Fernandez also has a new coach, former pro Harold Solomon who is trying to get Fernandez to come to the net more often. Fernandez admits she's not totally comfortable at the net, but she likes the strategy. She used the style to beat Gabriela Sabatini in the semifinals of the Australian Open.

"I'll just keep practicing it and practicing it," Miami's Fernandez said. "I'll try to come in on second serves, keep attacking. Hopefully it will come naturally and show in the big matches."

Raymond, 18, is 25-2 in her two years at Florida, where she won both the ITCA Collegiate National Clay Courts and National Indoors earlier this season. "I'm not surprised by my success, just happy," said Raymond, a sophomore from Wayne, Pa. "It was the best decision I could make to go to college."

The nation's top-ranked collegiate player utilized an all-court attack featuring powerful groundstrokes and booming serves to pin Harper, a former top 20 player now ranked 121, to the baseline.

"College is more team-oriented and a lot more fun," Raymond said. "You're not out for yourself."

Despite missing out on prize money, Raymond, who is ranked 276, said she will remain an amateur at least through her junior year.

"I'm capable of playing pro, but I'm not ready mentally to do it on an every-day basis," she said. "I'm getting an education, having a great time, and my tennis is improving."

In the other evening match, Zina Garrison, seeded seventh, eliminated Maya Kidowaki of Japan 6-0, 6-1 to advance to the third round.

The top eight seeds were given first-round byes.

Fifth-seeded Nathalie Tauziat of France also advanced Tuesday. Tauziat, ranked 14th, was down a set and an early break before winning eight straight games to defeat Helen Kelesi of Canada 3-6, 6-1, 6-4.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #54

GRAF CRUSHES 14TH SEED
The Miami Herald - Thursday, March 5, 1992

It wasn't during, but after her match Wednesday that Steffi Graf got miffed.

In defeating Naoko Sawamatsu, 6-0, 6-1, in 48 minutes to advance to the quarterfinals of the Virginia Slims of Florida at The Polo Club Boca Raton, Graf had little reason to get riled up. With a 100 mph-plus serve and blistering forehand and backhand slices, Graf swung Sawamatsu from side to side, forcing errors and hitting the corners for winners.

In an evening match before a sellout crowd of 6,181, second-seeded Gabriela Sabatini, the defending Slims champion, mixed power and finesse in winning her second-round match against Jo Durie, 6-2, 6-0, in 57 minutes.

"I thought she was going to come to the net a little bit more," Sabatini said. "She has a very good first serve, but she was staying at the baseline pretty much."

Durie kept her sense of humor throughout the match. After missing an easy backhand volley into the net, she laughed, covered her eyes and flailed her racket in front of her as if she couldn't see.

The match for Graf, also, was the fun part. In the interview room, however, she got a bit flustered when she was asked about the photos a free-lance photographer had taken of her about 10 days ago. Graf said she was sunbathing nude in the back yard of her Polo Club home when photographs were snapped from a helicopter hovering overhead.

"I don't know where you can have your privacy anymore," she said. "If you're just in your garden and you can't do what you want in your own home, I think that is pretty sick."

Wednesday's New York Post reported that the photographer was Art Seitz and that he is trying to sell the pictures. Seitz would not comment on the matter.

Graf, who said she plans to take legal action, was lying stomach down.

"He only got my back, you know," she said with a slight laugh, dropping her head into her hands. "Thank God. Otherwise I would go crazy."

Kind of like Sawamatsu, who must have been dizzy Wednesday chasing down so many well-placed Graf shots. Playing in only her second tournament in four months, Graf looked sharp for the second straight day. Tuesday she beat Linda Ferrando, 6-1, 6-2, in 58 minutes.

"She really didn't have too much chance today when the ball got into a rally," Graf said. "I'm really happy with the way I've been playing so it doesn't really bother me that itwas easy."

The only game Graf lost was the first of the second set.

"You try to be consistent," she said. "That's the main thing you go for. I was more patient than I am usually."

Graf missed January's Australian Open with a case of the German measles and suffered from an inner ear blockage before that. During the time off, Graf dropped to 38th in the Kraft Point Standings, her lowest ranking since March, 1984.

"I'm definitely trying to build up for the big ones in the summer," she said. "I just need the tournaments right now. . . . It was frustrating to have the time off."

Graf will play the winner of today's Brenda Shultz-Zina Garrison match Friday.

Chanda Rubin, the youngest player competing in the Florida Slims at 16, advanced to the third round with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 win over Halle Cioffi. She will face Sabatini today.

* The University of Florida's Lisa Raymond, the NCAA's top- ranked woman, was knocked out by Kimiko Date, 7-5, 6-3. Raymond had received a wild card into the tournament.

* Two-thirds of a set of triplets, Christine and Patti O'Reilly, Duke University graduates, lost their doubles match today to Renata Baranski-Hellas Ter Riet, 7-5, 7-6 (4).

* The Gabriela Sabatini Rose, the new variety of rose named for Sabatini by the Virginia Slims of Florida , has yet to bloom. In fact, 200 of the flowers are running behind schedule because of unseasonably cool temperatures in Eustis, Fla., where they were being grown. The roses were shipped to Delray Beach but it is not expected that they will bloom this week.

Seedings in parentheses

Second round: Conchita Martinez (4) d. Eva Sviglerova, 6-3, 6-1; Laura Gildemeister (10) d. Donna Faber, 7-6 (7-0), 6-4; Kimiko Date (11) d. Lisa Raymond 7-5, 6-3; Brenda Schultz (15) d. Alexia Dechaume, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2; Barbara Rittner (16) d. Amanda Grunfeld, 6-1, 6-3; Chanda Rubin d. Halle Cioffi, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4; Amanda Coetzer d. Natalie Baudone, 6-3, 6-4; Gabriela Sabatini (2) d. Jo Durie, 6-2, 6-0; Judith Wiesner (8) d. Natalia Medvedeva, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-3).

Third round: Steffi Graf (1) d. Naoko Sawamatsu, 6-0, 6-1.

Today's key matches

* 10 a.m.: Raka Zrubakova vs. Nathalie Tauziat, Brenda Shultz vs. Zina Garrison. * 6 p.m.: Mary Joe Fernandez vs. Laura Gildemeister.

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Nov 30th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #55

GARRISON TAKES SPORT TO CITY KIDS
The Miami Herald - Thursday, March 5, 1992
Author: Amy Niedzielka

Zina Garrison, who remains one of the few blacks on the tennis tour, must have been shaking her head, as usual, when she arrived at The Polo Club Boca Raton to compete in the Virginia Slims of Florida this week.

Garrison's first-round victory Tuesday was viewed by a predominantly rich, white audience in a stadium so tidy it looks like it was just dry-cleaned.

"This scares me," Garrison, 28, said after the match. "This is the ultimate of being rich. This place is very beautiful, there are a lot of nice homes here, the country club is very nice . . . "

Garrison stopped. After all, it has been more than 12 years on the tour now that she has dealt with the irony of it all: the people who see her play -- those wealthy enough to purchase tickets -- are not the only ones with whom she wants to share the game.

Garrison recently put the $20,000 check she received for winning Family Circle magazine's "Player Who Makes a Difference Award" toward making a difference to inner-city youth. This summer the Zina Garrison All Court Tennis Academy will open its doors to 300 Houston children, allowing them to play tennis for free.

"Sometimes I wonder why I seem to give back more than a lot of other tennis players," Garrison said. "It's because of my background, the way I grew up. A lot of tennis players come out of rich homes."

Garrison got her break in Houston from John Wilkerson and his public tennis program at MacGregor Park in Houston. No. 20- ranked Lori McNeil also played at MacGregor.

"A lot of people I knew took wrong turns," Garrison said. "Coming out of black neighborhoods, things are pretty depressed. Kids don't have a lot to look forward to."

Thanks to Wilkerson, that wasn't Garrison's experience.

"I was never star-struck because I learned that I was just as good as the next person," Garrison said. "It kept me out of trouble -- it was somewhere to go after school. I'd be there all day and into the night."

The new tennis academy won't change everything for everybody in one summer. But it's a start.

* Steffi Graf, who lives at The Polo Club, will no longer enjoy the convenience of walking across the street to play in the tournament. Florida Slims officials announced Tuesday the signing of a 10-year contract with the city of Coral Springs.

"If you're able to practice on center court almost 10 days, it helps a lot," Graf said Tuesday. "I'm living right across the street. It's perfect for me."

* Having watched "every single event, every single day" of the Winter Olympics, Miami's Mary Joe Fernandez can't figure out how Graf, Monica Seles and Martina Navratilova could have bypassed the chance to compete in the Summer Games by failing to play in last year's Federation Cup.

"I can't imagine not wanting to play in the Olympics," she said. "This is the chance of a lifetime."

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Nov 30th, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #56

NET WORKING CHASING TENNIS BALLS AT SLIMS TOURNEY OFFERS CHANCE TO SEE PLAYERS UP CLOSE.
Sun-Sentinel - Thursday, March 5, 1992
By DEBRA L. WALLACE

BOCA RATON -- Ben Gauci's world history test on the Spanish Revolution cannot compete with the Virginia Slims of Florida.

Getting out of school and postponing tests are among the perks of being one of the 115 ball persons at one of the most successful U.S. women's tennis tournaments.

But the real excitement for these people ages 10 to 26 is to be on the same court as the pros.

The bustling stops and the tent becomes quiet when it is time for ball person coordinator Monica Sica to decide who will work the center court fetching balls for Mary Joe Fernandez.

"I'm hoping to be on the court with Mary Joe and (Gabriela) Sabatini. They are my favorite players, and this is one of the reasons I did this," said Gauci, 15, of Boca Raton, a sophomore at Spanish River High School.

The ball persons chase tennis balls and provide the players with water and towels. But many are worn out from working 12- and 14-hour days.

During a match on Tuesday the unexpected took place.

"The kids came in off center court and they were flabbergasted," Sica said. "One of the players changed her shirt on the court, ignoring the fact she was in her underwear. One boy just couldn't believe it."

Marc Feuerstein and Lauren Norris, both 14, are working both shifts at the tournament. They begin at 8:30 a.m. and stay until at least 10:30 p.m.

They are experienced ball persons at the Slims, which is played at the Polo Club Boca Raton. They are hoping to be among the 32 chosen for the semifinals and finals this weekend.

"You get to see how the pros play and you get to see them up close," Norris said. "Right now I play over the summer at tennis camp. But after seeing the players I become inspired and I want to start playing more often."

Some say they get a little nervous. They fear making a mistake and looking silly in front of as many as 4,500 tennis fans.

Also, their feet become tired. But any hardship is secondary to the fun.

"It's an honor to be on the court with them. It's the best to be around the highest and best women players," Feuerstein said.

The stories the ball persons tell about the players vary greatly. Some players say thanks for every ball, while Sica said others curse at them in frustration.

Sica, 45, an adult education teacher, soothes their egos by telling them not to worry because everyone makes mistakes.

For several years Sica has acted as den mother, camp counselor and tennis coach for the ball persons.

Her only gripe is the mess that accumulates in the ball persons' tent. It prompted this sign: "Today is the maid's day off. Clean up after yourselves."

The ball persons also have to make sure they do not get dehydrated or sunburned. To help them the tournament provides complimentary sodas, Gatorade, sun visors and sun screen.

Nearly all of the ball persons play tennis regularly and a few have aspirations to become tennis professionals.

For tickets and information on the Virginia Slims of Florida call: (305) 491-7115. In Boca Raton call: (407) 395-8512.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #57

SABATINI ENDS WAIT WITH WIN - ROLLS IN LATE MATCH; GRAF REACHES QUARTERS
The Palm Beach Post - Thursday, March 5, 1992
Author: JEFF SNOOK

Gabriela Sabatini had to wait two days to play her first match in the Virginia Slims of Florida.

Then she had to sit through a three-set marathon match Wednesday night between Judith Wiesner and Natalia Medvedeva.

So she wasn't about to spend any more time on Center Court than was needed.

It took Sabatini 57 minutes to advance into the third round by beating England's Jo Durie 6-2, 6-0 in front of 6,181 fans at the Polo Club.

"I wanted to play a little earlier," said Sabatini, the tournament's No. 2 seed behind Steffi Graf. "I had to wait and play very late, but that did not affect me."

Also Wednesday, Graf became the first player to advance to the quarterfinals, defeating Japan's Naoko Sawamatsu 6-0, 6-1 in 48 minutes.

Wiesner of Austria rallied from a two-break deficit in the third set to beat Medvedeva 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-3) and 16-year-old Chanda Rubin of Lafayette, La., advanced with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory over Halle Cioffi.

Sabatini, 21, who received a first-round bye, used all of her game to beat Durie, who committed 32 unforced errors.

The world's No. 3-ranked player came to the net, played the baseline, lobbed, and used drop shots as well as power to rattle Durie.

Sabatini has to win five matches in five days for her fourth Slims of Florida title. She won the event in 1988, `90 and `91.

"I am in very good shape," she said. "I don't think that would be a problem."

Despite the wait, there were few problems against Durie, who won the match's first game and then lost 12-of-13. Moments later, Sabatini led 5-1 and the crowd had been treated to a barrage of spectacular yet routine-for-Sabatini shots.

"I am pretty satisfied," Sabatini said. "It was a good match . . . a good start. I thought she would come to the net more, but she was staying on the baseline."

That forced Sabatini to try a few drop shots. Each worked perfectly and Durie never bothered to leave the baseline.

"I had to mix it up a little bit," Sabatini said.

Graf, relying on her powerful groundstrokes, brushed off adversity off the court before routing Sawamatsu, 18.

"I just try to be consistent . . . that's the main thing you go for in a match like that," Graf said. "I am more patient than I usually am. She really didn't have much of a chance when we got into a rally."

It was the second easy match in two days for Graf, 22, who beat Linda Ferrando Tuesday in 57 minutes.

But winning never is boring to Graf, the world's No. 2-ranked player who is playing in only her second tournament since November.

"Not at all," she said. "I can take every match I can get at this point. I was really happy with the way I played. Doesn't bother me that they have been easy."

Graf, winner of 10 Grand Slam titles, spent much of her post-match interview session answering questions about photographs taken of her sunbathing nude at her home at the Polo Club.

"It's OK to lose some of your private life," she said, "but you should have some of your space."

Other players who advanced Wednesday were fourth-seeded Conchita Martinez of Spain, 10th-seeded Laura Gildemeister of Peru, 11th-seeded Kimiko Date of Japan, and 15th-seeded Brenda Schultz of The Netherlands.

In today's feature matches, seventh-seeded Zina Garrison plays Brenda Schultz in the second match on Center Court and Sabatini meets Rubin in the fourth match.

Rubin lost to Sabatini 6-1, 6-3 in last year's Lipton International Players Championships at Key Biscayne.

"I don't worry about who I am playing anymore," Rubin said. "I am just going to think about being steady. I got overwhelmed last year."

In the only singles match of the evening, Gildemeister will meet third-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez of Miami.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #58

RUBIN MAKES MARK IN SLIMS ROOKIE BATTLES, FALLS TO SABATINI
The Miami Herald - Friday, March 6, 1992

Chanda Rubin just hasn't gotten the hang of all this celebrity business. Sure, she can swing the racket (boy, can she swing the racket), but ask her for her autograph or about her place on the women's tour and you're likely to get uncomfortable looks and shrugging shoulders.

All Rubin, 16, did this week at the Virginia Slims of Florida at the Polo Club Boca Raton was collect victories in the first two rounds before bowing out with bluster Thursday, falling, 6-2, 6-2, to Gabriela Sabatini, the returning champion and second seed.

Sabatini will face Amanda Coetzer in a quarterfinal match today.

Also Thursday, third-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez topped Laura Gildemeister, 6-2, 7-5, setting up a quarterfinal today against Nathalie Tauziat. Seventh-seeded Zina Garrison beat Brenda Shultz, 7-5, 4-6, 6-3, and will face top-seeded Steffi Graf today. In the other quarterfinal, fourth-seeded Conchita Martinez will face 16th-seeded Barbara Rittner tonight.

In the Sabatini-Rubin match, Sabatini was more composed, more controlled and more aggressive than her opponent, but Rubin also displayed all those qualities.

"She was not making any mistakes, that's why it was so tough," Sabatini said. "She hits the ball very hard. She just goes for the shot."

Sabatini never let things get out of hand, but she wasn't coasting through games as she did in her 6-2, 6-0 second round victory over Jo Durie Wednesday. Unforced errors, especially off Sabatini's spinning serves, did Rubin in, but she hung in until the last game, taking Sabatini to deuce before losing on a backhand volley.

"I wasn't that intimidated, really," Rubin said. "She's just another player, that's how I was thinking about her."

Rubin, the 94th-ranked woman on the tour, seemed more intimidated by the autograph-seekers who accosted her after the match.

"I feel weird," she said, smiling sheepishly. "I'm not famous or anything. I write my name down and they look at it and it's like, 'Oh.' "

Rubin meant "Oh" as in "Who are you?"

That's not a question Sabatini would be likely to ask. The two also met at the Lipton International Players Championships last year, when Sabatini won, 6-1, 6-3.

"She's very young and she has a very good game," Sabatini said. "She's very solid from the baseline. She's probably going to have to work more on coming to the net. I know she can beat a lot of players right now."

Rubin, who attends Episcopal School of Acadiama in Lafayette, La., said she was more awed last year at the U.S. Open, the first tournament she played after turning pro in August.

"You walk around the locker room and you see all these big-name players," she said. "It's kind of just the aura around you, but I'm getting used to it."

Rubin, who lost to Sabine Appelmans in a tournament final in Phoenix last year, said she plans to play in the Lipton on Key Biscayne March 13-22.

"I hope to play a few more players in the top five or 10," she said. "I had a good time."

The 38-minute rain delay that interrupted the Garrison- Shultz match Thursday gave Garrison just enough time to get her head together to come out and top Shultz in the third set. The delay came with Garrison up, 3-1.

"It actually helped me," she said. "When I went off I thought about some points I had played and what I needed to do."

Fernandez couldn't fool Gildemeister, her friend and frequent practice partner, but she outswatted her from the baseline in Thursday night's match.

"It's hard playing against Laura because we know each other's games so well," Fernandez said. "We got into some long rallies and that was good for me."

Thursday's results

Third round: Gabriela Sabatini (2) d. Chanda Rubin, 6-2, 6-2; Mary Joe Fernandez (3) d. Laura Gildemeister (10), 6-3, 7-5; Conchita Martinez (4) d. Kimiko Date (11), 6-1, 7-6 (7-3); Nathalie Tauziat (5) d. Radka Zrubakova (12), 6-2, 7-6 (7-4); Zina Garrison (7) d. Brenda Schultz (15), 7-5, 4-6, 6-3; Amanda Coetzer d. Judith Wiesner (8), 6-3, 6-1; Barbara Rittner (16) d. Leila Meskhi (6), 6-2, 6-3.

Today's matches

Stadium court

10 a.m.: Meredith McGrath-Rennae Stubbs vs. Alexia Dechaume-Kristin Godridge; Coetzer vs. Sabatini; Graf vs. Garrison; Fernandez vs. Tauziat; Jill Hetherington-Kathy Rinaldi or Silvia Farina-Linda Ferrando vs. Eva Pfaff-Catherine Suire.

6 p.m.: Barbara Rittner vs. Conchita Martinez; Linda Harvey Wild-Martinez vs. Shaun Stafford-Marianne Werdel; Larisa Savchenko Neiland-Natalia Zvereva vs. Nicole Arendt-Penny Barg Mager or Jo Durie-Lise Gregory.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #59

SABATINI CONTINUES MASTERY AT SLIMS ANOTHER VICTORY IN STRAIGHT SETS AS RUBIN, 16, FALLS
Sun-Sentinel - Friday, March 6, 1992

BOCA RATON -- The Gabriela Sabatini Rose is not in bloom yet at the Virginia Slims of Florida, but the defending champion is thriving.

Sabatini dismissed Louisiana schoolgirl Chanda Rubin 6-2, 6-2 Thursday, and has lost only six games in four sets.

"I felt I was in control of the match all the time," said Sabatini, who is trying to become the first four-time champion in the tournament's history.

Rubin lost to Sabatini 6-1, 6-3 a year ago at Lipton.

"I don't know what I expected, but I was hoping I would do a little better," said the 16-year-old, who upset Natalia Zvereva in the first round.

"I could have been a little steadier at times. I couldn't outhit her from the baseline."

Rubin committed 26 unforced errors to 15 for Sabatini, who led in winners 21-18. Sabatini won 19 of 21 points at the net, while Rubin made 12 of her 21 net approaches.

-- Laura Gildemeister is a microwave: she can get hot in an instant.

Thursday night, Gildemeister heated up as Mary Joe Fernandez served for the match. Gildemeister broke, but then she cooled down in time for Fernandez to finish off the match 6-3, 7-5.

"Laura can play well at any time," said Fernandez, who served for the match at 5-3, and eventually won it by breaking Gildemeister in the final game.

"She goes into streaks and hits winners. She played a good game to break me. In the last game, I hit the ball harder."

Fernandez advanced to a quarterfinal rematch against Nathalie Tauziat, who ruined the form with a 6-1, 7-5 victory.

"Tauziat is a very talented player," said Fernandez, who lost on a sprained ankle, one of her numerous injuries here. "She does everything well. Hopefully, I can get her back."

-- Attendance through four days and eight sessions is 41,642, with sellouts expected for the weekend.

Sunday's final was sold out before the tournament began. There are less than 100 tickets left for each of Saturday's sessions and less than 200 tickets left for each of today's sessions.

Tuesday and Wednesday night's sessions were sellouts (6,181). Thursday night's crowd of 5,919 was just short of capacity.

The total should hit 72,500, breaking the record of 59,000 set last year.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #60

GARRISON HOPING TO SLOW GRAF DOWN IN LATEST MATCH - DAY 4 IN REVIEW - DOUBLES SCORES - MATCH OF THE DAY - MISMATCH OF THE DAY - OUOTE OF THE DAY - ETC - TODAY'S MATCHES TO WATCH - TODAY'S SCHEDULE - NIGHT SESSION, 6 P.M.
Sun-Sentinel - Friday, March 6, 1992

BOCA RATON -- It's Zina Garrison's greatest hit -- beating Steffi Graf in the 1990 Wimbledon semifinals.

But can Garrison play it again today at the Virginia Slims of Florida ?

Graf and Garrison meet again in the quarterfinals, but instead of the slick grass at the All-England Club, they will face off on the slow, hard court at The Polo Club.

"The first time I hit in the stadium, I thought this court is too slow," Garrison said. "But now I actually like this court. I'm feeling the ball well."

Garrison liked the way she hung in against powerful Brenda Schultz, pulling out a 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 victory in Thursday's most dramatic match.

"Brenda has such a big serve, you have to take what you can get," said Garrison, who is seeded seventh.

Schultz, who is 6 feet 2, revved up her serve to a tournament-fastest 105 mph.

Schultz smashed four aces, but doublefaulted six times. She connected on 69 percent of her first serves, but only 43 percent (12 of 28) second serves, which proved to be her undoing.

Garrison converted four of five break points, including one for a 3-1 lead in the third set, just before a 38-minute rain delay.

"The rain delay helped me," Garrison said. "I thought about the points I played. I was a lot more keyed-up when we came back."

Garrison, 28, won the Virginia Slims of Oklahoma last month, her first title in two years. It improved her ranking to No.15.

Garrison is also gaining some overdue recognition off the court. She was recently named the winner of the Family Circle magazine "Player Who Makes A Difference" award for her work with the inner city kids in Houston, her hometown.

The Zina Garrison All Court Tennis Academy will open this summer for 300 needy children.

"I want to give the kids an opportunity to play," said Garrison, who is a product of John Wilkerson's public parks program.

"Tennis is good for their self-image and self-confidence. Tennis is an individual sport, which helps you learn about yourself. It's been my dream to do this for seven years.

"There's an obvious need for something positive in their lives. The more time kids have, the more time they have to do nothing."

For years, Garrison has made appearances at schools to give motivational talks to youngsters. After she retires, Garrison wants to open a homeless shelter and start junior tennis programs around Texas.

That's for later. For now, Garrison seems to have some good tennis left.

"I'm really looking forward to playing Steffi," she said. "We've had good matches in the past."

Garrison is 2-8 against Graf, also winning their first meeting back at Amelia Island in 1985. Graf has repaid Garrison three times since then, but the German had to rally to win in three sets in Brighton last year.

In today's other quarterfinals, defending champion Gabriela Sabatini plays unseeded Amanda Coezter and third-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez faces fifth- seeded Nathalie Tauziat. Fernandez lost 6-1, 7-5 to Tauziat at the same stage of the tournament last year.

Fourth-seeded Conchita Martinez, who beat 11th-seeded Kimiko Date 6-1, 7-6 (7-3) Thursday, faces 16th-seeded Barbara Rittner in tonight's last quarterfinal.

Sabatini beat 16-year-old Chanda Rubin of Lafayette, La., 6-2, 6-2. Fernandez stopped 10th-seeded Laura Gildemeister 6-3, 7-5. Tauziat defeated 12th-seeded Radka Zrubakova 6-2, 7-6 (7-4).

Coetzer, 20, a South African ranked No. 61, pulled the biggest upset of the tournament so far, trouncing eighth-seeded Judith Wiesner 6-3, 6-1.

Rittner, 18, from Germany, surprised sixth-seeded Leila Meskhi 6-2, 6-3.

HOW THE SEEDS FARED

Winner Loser Score

2. Gabriela Sabatini Chanda Rubin 6-2, 6-2

3. Mary Joe Fernandez 10. Laura Gildemeister 6-3, 7-5

4. Conchita Martinez 11. Kimiko Date 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)

5. Nathalie Tauziat 12. Radka Zrubakova 6 -2, 7-6 (7-4)

16. Barbara Rittner 6. Leila Meskhi 6-2, 6-3

7. Zina Garrison 15. Brenda Schultz 7-5, 4-6, 6-3

Amanda Coetzer 8. Judith Wiesner 6-3, 6-1

Kristin Godridge and Alexia Dechaume d. 2. Sandy Collins and Elna Reinach 6-4, 7-5; 8. Meredith McGrath and Rennae Stubbs d. Renata Baranski and Hellas Ter Riet 6-1, 6-0; Eva Pfaff and Catherine Suire d. Akiko Kijimuta and Naoko Sawamatsu 6-2, 3-6, 6-0; Shaun Stafford and Marianne Werdel d. 4. Tauziat and Wiesner 6-4 7-6 (7-4); Linda Harvey-Wild and Martinez d. 5. Peanut Harper and Cammy MacGregor 6-3. 1-6, 6-4; 7. Jo Durie and Lise Gregory d. Nicole Arendt and Penny Mager 7-5 6-4; Silvia Farina and Linda Ferrando d. Jill Hetherington and Kathy Rinaldi 6-3, 2-6, 6-1.

Zina Garrison outlasted Brenda Schultz and the rain in three sets.

Gabriela Sabatini was too strong for 16-year-old Chanda Rubin.

"I'm there... not way up there... I'm sorta there... getting there," rookie pro Chanda Rubin.

-- Amanda Coezter of South Africa, the only unseeded player to reach the quarterfinals, has not lost a set.

-- Steffi Graf, Mary Joe Fernandez, Nathalie Tauziat and Gabriela Sabatini are repeat quarterfinalists.

Day session, 10 a.m.

--Gabriela Sabatini vs. Amanda Coetzer (2nd match): Sabatini beat Coezter 6-2, 6-2 at the 1991 Italian Open, their only meeting.

--Steffi Graf vs. Zina Garrison (third match): Graf leads the series 8-2.

--Mary Joe Fernandez vs. Nathalie Tauziat (fourth match): Tauziat upset Fernandez 6-1, 7-5 in last year's quarterfinals.

Night session, 6 p.m.

--Conchita Martinez vs. Barbara Rittner (first match): No one is talking about Martinez, the fourth seed, who has played two strong matches.

Day session, starting at 10 a.m.

Meredith McGrath and Rennae Stubbs vs. Alexia Dechaume and Kristin Godridge

Gabriela Sabatini vs. Amanda Coetzer

Steffi Graf vs. Zina Garrison

Nathalie Tauziat vs. Mary Joe Fernandez

Silvia Farina and Linda Ferrando vs. Eva Pfaff and Catherine Suire

Conchita Martinez vs. Barbara Rittner