1992 - Page 38 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 9th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #556
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

Struggling Seles heads to final
The Toronto Star
Sunday, August 23, 1992
CP

MONTREAL (CP) - It wasn't vintage Monica Seles, but the world's No. 1 woman tennis player was good enough yesterday to advance to the final of the $550,000 Matinee International tournament at Jarry Park Stadium.

Seles, 18, struggled with her serve and made uncharacteristic errors but still won her semifinal 6-3, 6-4 over eighth-seeded Lori McNeil of the United States on the hardcourts.

Second-seeded Arantxa Sanchez Vicario of Spain also made the final with a 6-2, 7-5 victory over the seventh seed, 1986 tournament champion Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia.

"This whole week I haven't been playing well," said Seles, an ethnic Hungarian from Serbia who lives in Florida. "I can't play wonderfully every week.

"I'm not a machine. I'm going to have good matches and bad matches. I'm still playing good tennis, it's just that I'm making some mistakes on my serves and ground strokes."

In doubles action, the sixth- seeded duo of Jill Hetherington of Peterborough and Kathy Rinaldi of the U.S. was ousted 6-4, 6-3 by the No. 3 pair of McNeil and Australian Rennae Stubbs.

Seles has made the final of 10 of her 11 tournaments this year after reaching the final in all 16 events she played last year. Her only miss was at Key Biscayne, Fla., last March, when she lost in the quarterfinals to Jennifer Capriati.

But she has won only one of her last four tournaments, losing the Wimbledon final to Steffi Graf and the final at Los Angeles last week to Martina Navratilova.

"I learned a lot from Los Angeles and here and I'll see how I play in the final," Seles said.

Serving has been a problem. Usually an overpowering server, Seles was broken twice by McNeil. That made it 12 service breaks in four matches.

"It's a lot of things coming together at once," Seles said. "I was serving well last week, but in the last six or seven days, I lost it. I don't know why."

McNeil, ranked 22nd in the world and normally a committed serve-and-volley player, stayed back at the baseline longer than usual against Seles, to no avail.

"I tried to mix it up and throw her off because she passes well," said McNeil, 28. "I'll come in more next time I play her. I'm disappointed I lost but there was some progress made that will help me for the U.S. Open."

Sanchez Vicario and Sukova were the top-seeded doubles pair in the tournament, but were beaten Friday night by Hetherington and Rinaldi. Facing one another in singles, however, it was no contest.

Sanchez Vicario, ranked fifth in the world, easily countered the lanky, 6-foot-2 Sukova's serve-and-volley game, chiefly with sharp service returns.

Sanchez Vicario, ranked fifth in the world, easily countered the lanky, six-foot-two Sukova's serve-and-volley game, chiefly with sharp service returns, and is looking forward to facing Seles.

"I'm playing well and if she's having problems with her serve, it will be hard for her," said Sanchez Vicario, who has lost all 10 previous meetings with Seles. "I'll have to attack her second serve, play like I did today and be confident."

Sukova, ranked 15th, broke service for a 5-4 second-set lead but Sanchez Vicario broke straight back and finished off the set at love.

"I didn't count how many mistakes I made, but they cost me the match," said Sukova.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #557

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

MAC'S PLACE IS ON DAVIS CUP TEAM
Daily News of Los Angeles
Sunday, August 23, 1992
MARC STEIN

Sometimes, the art of debate isn't necessary, a theory that always applies to:

Any proposal for a Dan Quayle-Al Gore showdown.

John McEnroe's place on the U.S. Davis Cup team.

The first, let's hope we never see. A more pleasing prospect is never again hearing that McEnroe is iffy for next month's World Group semifinals against Sweden in Minneapolis.

The latter shouldn't have been an issue for discussion, as it became during a tournament in Connecticut, much less a controversy. U.S. captain Tom Gorman was wise in clearing things up quickly, considering there's been enough trouble already just finding a suitable doubles partner for McEnroe.

McEnroe became upset when the U.S. Tennis Association released the names of half the team, singles players Andre Agassi and Jim Courier, without making clear that Mac also would be playing. After a first-round victory Tuesday over Jan Apell at the Volvo International in New Haven, Conn., McEnroe loudly voiced his unhappiness, bringing an immediate reply from Gorman that McEnroe was never in danger of being slighted.

Until the announcement about Agassi and Courier, McEnroe concealed any anger regarding his status, a frustration born last year when he was excluded
from the group that lost to France, 4-1, in the title match.

Three days before the singles spots were filled publicly, the 33-year-old patriot went as far as to say that he'd rather play doubles with a fourth party to conserve the energy of his younger teammates.

"To me, I'm not sure it's necessary to have Andre or Jim, for example, to play singles and doubles and play three matches," McEnroe said. "I did that for a number of years. I think that is probably not necessary with the talent that we have.

"I'm a believer in playing the best team, the best situation for us to win. I'd love to be a part of the team even if I was, at this point, carrying the water around."

For years, in the midst of a U.S. slump in the mid-to-late 1980s, winning points in doubles was about the only thing Gorman could count on. Last year, when two established combinations failed - Scott Davis and David Pate in the semifinals; Ken Flach and Robert Seguso in the final - it was decided that ''McEnroe and somebody" would team up for the United States in all 1992 matches.

In the first two rounds this year, McEnroe and Rick Leach were 1-1 together. For the Sweden match, Leach and Pete Sampras are the top candidates, with Jim Grabb an outside possibility.

"I'd like to see Jim play," said Richey Reneberg, Grabb's regular partner and occasionally an invited guest at U.S.. practice sessions. "I would be surprised if (Gorman) picked Agassi and Courier for doubles.

"It's definitely going to be Mac. It should be. He's the best. Absolutely, he'll be one of the guys. If he's not, there's definitely something wrong."

More mad Mac: Sadly, McEnroe's temper affected his actions twice in New Haven, and the second time was a lot worse than complaining about Davis Cup. On Thursday, after netting a drop shot in a three-hour victory over unknown Thierry Guardiola, McEnroe pushed over a television camera, which nearly fell on the man operating it.

The next day, ESPN commentators Cliff Drysdale and Fred Stolle said McEnroe should have been defaulted immediately. To them, the $3,000 fine that was assessed meant nothing.

No matter how much you might love McEnroe, the sensible fan would have to agree. Drysdale said the incident shocked several of the game's former greats, including Ilie Nastase, who told Drysdale he never did anything that crazy.

If that's true, McEnroe really crossed a line.

Po postscript: Perhaps the toughest part about Kim Po's decision to quit the circuit and return to school at UCLA is that she's not sure if she will receive the rest of her scholarship money.

Po played as a freshman and sophomore for the Bruins before turning pro. At the Virginia Slims of Los Angeles, in which Po reached the quarterfinals, the Rolling Hills resident spoke of the financial conditions binding her intention to resume classes after the U.S. Open.

"That's a touchy situation," Po said. "When I was being recruited, they knew I was only going to stay for a year or two. I didn't have anything in writing. I found out I should have.

"At 17, you don't think about things like that."

Po said regardless of the money situation, "I was going to help out with the team anyway."

Rule change? Given the power, Robin White would abolish the tennis bylaw that allows players to make two quick trips to the restroom during a match. White was leading Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, 6-1, 3-0, in the second round of the Virginia Slims of L.A. when Sanchez Vicario ran off, relieved herself and won 12 of the last 13 games.

"I wish that bathroom break didn't exist," White said. "I think it's very unfair that you're allowed to take one in that situation.... You can't allow it when someone's (losing) like that. You wonder why she took it at that time. I think I had to go two times in nine years."

White later conceded that the loss was her fault for letting Sanchez Vicario's brief departure disrupt her concentration.

Slims champion Martina Navratilova, trying to lend perspective, ended up making a room full of people laugh to tears.

"What can I tell you," Navratilova said. "In TeamTennis, I was running off the court after every set. I have to go a lot more than I used to. Soon I'll be doing those commercials for..."

Navratilova, blushing, couldn't complete the thought. She was laughing too hard. Out of respect for her, we'll let you figure it out.

Itinerary: Based on the seedings, fifth-ranked Sanchez Vicario should reach at least the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open - if she's able to stand by the second week.

She was tired coming into Manhattan Beach for the Slims and played the Canadian Open in Montreal this week. Finally, after New York, she'll take a vacation, during which she plans to do...

"Nothing.

"Stay with friends, go to the beach, go to the movies," Sanchez Vicario said. "Don't touch the racket.

"I need it. I'm waiting for that."

Talk of the town: Monica Seles refused to confirm recent gossip that has her buying a house in Los Angeles.

"It's just better for me not to give any answer to that because it just gets blown out of proportion," Seles said, adding only, "I love the city."

As for definite news about tennis in the area, the International Tennis Hall of Fame has chosen Los Angeles as its city of the year for 1993. The program is designed to develop coalitions of tennis organizations and assets in the chosen city and to increase amateur participation in the sport.

PASSING SHOTS

There is no shortage of good American doubles players. The challenge for U.S. Davis Cup captain Tom Gorman is finding the right one to play with John McEnroe. In his heyday, it was said the best team in the world was "McEnroe and anybody." Not so now. From the following pool, a partner for McEnroe will be chosen for the semifinals against Sweden (Sept. 25-27):

Rick Leach: Has probably the fastest hands on the circuit and won all six Davis Cup appearances with old partner Jim Pugh through 1991. But at McEnroe's side, Leach is saddled with all the pressure, a tough spot.

Pete Sampras: McEnroe dreams of being paired with Sampras, who has all the shots but doesn't play much doubles. "We haven't played (together)," McEnroe said, "which is a concern of somebody."

Jim Grabb: McEnroe mentioned him in the same sentence as Sampras, a pretty nice compliment. Grabb was impressive in the Wimbledon doubles final, teaming with Richey Reneberg to take McEnroe and Michael Stich the distance before losing, 19-17, in the fifth set.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #558

Sanchez breaks her Seles jinx
The Toronto Star
Monday, August 24, 1992
BILL BEACON, THE CANADIAN PRESS

Arantxa Sanchez Vicario fought off the demons of 10 previous defeats to upset world No. 1 Monica Seles in the final of the $550,000 Matinee International Canadian Open tennis tournament yesterday in Montreal.

Sanchez, the second seed from Spain, turned in a dogged performance on a hot, windy day on the hardcourts at Jarry Stadium to win 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.

"I didn't give up," said Sanchez, 20, who had not beaten Seles in 10 matches going back to 1989. "I kept fighting and it worked.

"I'm happy and proud because it was a great victory. It will give me confidence the next time I play her. I beat the jinx. Now that I beat her once, I know I can beat her again."

Sanchez Vicario, ranked fifth in the world, picked up $110,000 (U.S.) to increase her earnings for the season to $816,255.

Seles, 18, got $44,000 and another reminder that the level of her game has slipped a notch going into the U.S. Open beginning Aug. 31 in New York.

Seles, an ethnic Hungarian from Serbia who lives in Florida, lost a final for the third tournament in a row - the first time that has befallen her in more than two years.

"I'd just like to get my game back by next week," said Seles. "It's not so much the losses, because I lost each time for different reasons.

"I just think my game has not been at the level in the last three or four weeks that it was a month ago."

The two staged a dramatic, see-saw battle that drew several long ovations from the centre court crowd of 8,050.

Seles had trouble with her usually dominating serve all week and it showed again in the first set when Sanchez broke twice to take it 6-4.

Seles rallied in the second set, but Sanchez then shot into a 3-0 lead in the final set. Seles rebounded for a 4-3 lead, but Sanchez forced a another service break to tie the set and closed out the last two games for the victory.

Seles, who has reached the final of every tournament but one - the Key Biscayne last March - in the last two years, continues in what by her standards is a slump.

''I just choked,'' she said Sunday.

But she doesn't think that it will carry into the U.S. Open, the last of the four grand slam events.

''I hope not and I don't think so,'' she said. ''I lost three in a row going into the French Open two years ago and then I won.''

Sanchez's mother, Marisa Vicario, charged onto the court to hug and kiss her daughter for one of the biggest wins of her career.

"When I went up 3-0 and then fell behind 4-3, I just put it out of my mind," said Sanchez. "I told myself to play like I did in the first set - be aggressive, finish the points."

The stocky, dark-haired Sanchez, 1989 French Open champion, kept Seles off balance with occasional rushes to the net and some particularly effective drop shots.

It was her second singles victory of the year, after a win at Key Biscayne, Fla., last March, and the 12th time in 15 tournaments this year that she has reached as least the semifinals.

Sanchez is the busiest player on the women's tour this year. With 66 singles matches and 71 in doubles for a total of 137, she is more than 40 ahead of second-place Natalia Zvereva. With a third of the year left to play, Sanchez is approaching the record of 165 matches set by Martina Navratilova in 1982.

Sanchez won bronze medals in singles and doubles on the clay courts at the Olympics in her hometown, Barcelona, Spain, two weeks ago.

Sampras victorious: Pete Sampras broke Jim Courier once in each set for a 6-4, 6-4 victory in the U.S. Hardcourts at Indianapolis, winning his third straight title.

"This is the time of year where I really start playing well on hardcourt, which is my favorite surface," said Sampras, the second seed who earned $144,000 for the win.

In doubles play, Canada's Grant Connell of North Vancouver and Glenn Michibata of Toronto lost in the final to U.S. players Jim Grabb and Richey Reneberg by scores of 7-6 (7-1) and 6-2.

Courier couldn't handle Sampras' trademark serve that consistently hit the court at nearly 120 m.p.h.

"I really served well against him. I mixed up my serves and he really couldn't get any rhythm," Sampras said.

Edberg faces Washington: Stefan Edberg stopped Ivan Lendl's streak of finals appearances at two, keeping him off balance with his net play yesterday in the Volvo International semifinals at New Haven, Conn.

Twice Edberg let Lendl break back immediately after being broken and he nearly did it again in the final game. But Edberg ran off three straight points, capped by a service winner Lendl hit into the net, to advance to the final, 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 6-3.

Edberg will meet MaliVai Washington in today's final. Washington beat unseeded Fabrice Santoro 6-3, 6-2.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #559

Sanchez Vicario knocks off Seles : Canadian Open final goes 3 sets
The Record
Kitchner, Ontario, Canada
Monday, August 24, 1992
Bill Beacon, The Canadian Press

(CP) - Confidence and optimism will follow Arantxa Sanchez Vicario into the U.S. Open next week.

An upset victory over world No. 1 Monica Seles in the final of the $550,000 Matinee International Canadian Open tennis tournament can do that.

"Every time I play (the U.S. Open), I do better," Sanchez said of her propects at the last grand slam event of the year. "I've never before got past the semi-finals. But I've improved my game and I have much confidence.

"I've always been close. I think I'll play better this time because I'm in good shape and I'm coming off a big victory. Other players will have to pay attention to me."

The U.S. Open begins in New York on Aug. 31, still a long way off for Sanchez, who plans to stay in Montreal an extra two days to savour Sunday's 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Seles.

Sanchez, 20, reached the U.S. Open quarter-finals in 1989 and again last year, and made the semis in 1990. But the 1989 French Open remains her only grand slam title to date.

She hopes the win over Seles - the defending U.S. Open champion - and her new-found ease on hardcourts are the elements she needs to win. It was Sanchez's first win in 11 meetings with Seles dating back to 1989.

Seles has lost three successive finals for the first time since March, 1990. But the winner of the French and Australian opens this year insisted her rivals were not closing in.

"It's totally my game being off. The other players are not catching up," Seles said.

Seles, who committed 54 unforced errors, said she choked on the crucial points.

Sanchez thought otherwise.

"She didn't choke. I played good and I beat her," Sanchez said. "I deserved to win. I played a great match. I'm not surprised, I'm happy. I played her 10 times before and lost, but everything has to break some time."

Seles is, by her lofty standards, in a slump.

She lost the Wimbledon final in July to Steffi Graf and the final last week in Los Angeles to Navratilova, marking the first time since February-March of 1990 that she has lost three tournaments in a row.

In the last two years, Seles has reached the final of every tournament she entered except one - at Key Biscayne, Fla., last March, a tournament won by Sanchez.

Sanchez picked up $110,000 for the victory while Seles got $44,000.

In the doubles final, the third-seeded team of Lori McNeil of the United States and Rennae Stubbs of Australia scored a comeback 3-6, 7-5, 7-5 victory over the second-seeded pair of Zvereva and American Gigi Fernandez.

McNeil and Stubbs shared $33,000 while the losers got $16,500.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #560

AUSTIN'S STORY JUST A SERIES OF SOFT LOBS
San Jose Mercury News
Monday, August 24, 1992
COLIN SEYMOUR

A 14-YEAR-OLD tennis player as good as Tracy Austin was in 1977 is, in newspaper parlance, a good story. But 29-year-old former tennis players aren't so rare. Their stories may or may not be worth widespread dissemination, and if the protagonist lives happily ever after, it isn't even a good sign.

Connoisseurs of 14-year-old tennis players probably rooted for Austin in 1977 and will be glad to know she never lost her love for tennis and might still be playing if her body were as willing as her spirit.

That's pretty much the extent of the conflict in "Beyond Center Court/My Story" (William Morrow & Co., $20). Austin manages to make her career -- which peaked in 1981, when she won her second U.S. Open at age 18 -- seem even more tedious than her long, unsuccessful battle to come back from injuries.

Austin adheres strictly to the baseline in tennis, in life and in the book. Washington Post reporter Christine Brennan seems not to have pried much as the collaborator.

During Austin's rise to the professional ranks, she was ballyhooed as the next Chris Evert, against whom she held a 9-8 career record. That rise required a single-mindedness that made it difficult to make friends at the time and apparently makes it difficult to recall riveting details 15 years later.

By the time Austin wins the U.S. Open at age 16, in 1979, we've noted more than occasional references to a certain fast-food restaurant chain. So guess where she and her mother conspicuously celebrate the title after becoming ensnarled in suburban New York traffic?

" . . . Now I was the U.S. Open champion, and no one expected me to be celebrating my victory at McDonald's."

Wanna bet?

There was no conflict that couldn't be resolved in three sets, especially at the Austin household in Rolling Hills Estates (which wasn't nearly as ostentatious as you might have assumed, she says). All but one of the five children played pro tennis, and even the Brady Bunch -- who could have lived next door -- didn't get along this well.

The parents weren't pushy, she assures us. But the mother was ever-present. There was the time when Pam Shriver directed an obscenity at Austin, who had just beaten her in a tournament final. Tracy says her mother was exaggerating only slightly when she huffed -- as Shriver noted in her 1987 book -- that "her three sons had never been around language like Pam used with me at the net at the Canadian Open."

Austin forgave and forgot. She and Shriver are buddies these days. Austin even got over it after Evert made fun of the teen- ager for not having tried marijuana, the most titillating revelation in the book.

There's even a bloodless quality to Austin's description of the injuries that ruined her career. Even when she breaks her leg, she doesn't convey pain.

That is, until her 1989 auto accident, which cut short her final comeback attempt. Even Austin seems to realize her brush with death may come to define her life more than tennis did. The best line in the book: "I have a wonderful existence, a beautiful home, a great man in my life, a close family, terrific friends, everything I could ever want. Except the sense that I fulfilled my potential on the tennis court."

Makes you wanna cry, eh?
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #561
Joseosu19

Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future

Love the Arantxa and Monica quotes from the Canadian Open. Classic Arantxa with the "I knew I would win, and now other players will know it".

With how saintly and nice Monica was after the stabbing, I occasionally forget that she could turn on the snips occasionally. "The other players aren't catching up"...Both of these women proved that attitude plays a huge role in success.
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario Always #1
Joseosu19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #562
country flag lloyders76

lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of

54 unforced errors from seles? sounds like a messy performance from her, not the sort i associated with her when i followed the tour back then
lloyders76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #563

VS of Los Angeles. Some real doozies here...

'Other Sampras' hungry to make a name for herself
Daily Breeze
Friday, August 7, 1992
Verne Palmer

When Stella Sampras steps on the court at the Manhattan Country Club on Saturday to try to win a berth in the $350,000 Virginia Slims of Los Angeles tournament, she'll be playing in a pretty big shadow, regardless of the position of the sun: younger brother Pete Sampras.

At home on the Peninsula she outranks him by two years and five months, but in tennis circles she's pretty much "the other Sampras" -- at least for now.

It's a fact of life that the former NCAA doubles champion and All-American has learned to deal with philosophically.

"People always see me as Pete's sister -- I hear it all the time," she says. "They expect me to play as well as he does and to move right into the top 100. At first it got to me, but I'm pretty much used to it by now. I've learned to play for myself and not worry about what other people expect from me."

Maybe it helps that for the first eight years of their tennis-playing careers she drubbed him regularly during daily practice sessions.

"He didn't want to lose to a girl, and I didn't want to lose to my younger brother, so our games got pretty intense," the former UCLA star says with a grin.

"At times we had to have our parents out there to referee. Pete used to have a little temper, and one day when I beat him he threw his racket on the ground. My father told him if he ever did that again he'd take him out of tennis."

Her kid brother won't be the only shadow on Sampras' professional horizon this week. The nine-day tournament -- which officially gets under way Monday -- will draw 28 top women players from around the world, including No. 1 seed Monica Seles, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, Pam Shriver and Helena Sukova.

Sampras, who turned pro in October and drew one of two wild-card berths allotted to local players, is happy just to be here.

While brother Pete shot straight to stardom, collecting tennis titles like they were shooting gallery prizes, Stella has quietly been winning satellite tournaments in places like New Braunsels and Mission, Texas.

It's more her style.

"Stella has always been a consistent, dependable player," former Palos Verdes High coach John Fullerton has said about her. "She wears her opponents down. For her, each point is a little war in itself. She doesn't go in streaks. She has the focus that pulls her through."

Right now Sampras is focusing on racking up enough tournament points to become a regular on the Virginia Slims tour.

That means playing a lot, and she's done just that, wedging 15 tournaments into 10 months plus a a monthlong stint with the Wichita Advantage, one of 11 teams in a pro league that has drawn the likes of Jimmy Connors and Martina Navratilova.

She's played from Austin, Texas, and Tampa Bay, Fla., to Birmingham, England, and the wilds of Australia.

"It's tough in the beginning," the 23-year-old UCLA grad says. "There are so many players in the satellites, and they're all hungry for points. You have to win four qualifying matches before you can even get into a tournament."

Constantly being on the road can have its disadvantages as well.

"I've made some really good friends and I feel lucky to be able to do what I love, but it can get real lonely," she says, "especially if you're not doing well."

"You live out of a suitcase and move to a new city or a new country each week, which can be a real drag. And it makes it hard to keep relationships going.

"You can't have a boyfriend or husband traveling with you -- invariably they'll have jobs -- but men can always have a girlfriend or wife around. It's easier for them."

It's a fact of life that's left family patriarch Soterios (Sam) Sampras less than thrilled to have a second pro in the family.

"In the beginning I don't think my father wanted me to turn pro -- he expected me to get a job, get married and have kids, but I wanted to keep playing. Times have changed and he understands that. He just wants me to be happy."

Nonetheless, it's brother Pete who's financing her odyssey into pro tennis.

"I don't really see him as my younger brother," she says. He's always been very mature for his age --he had to grow up real fast. He went from 17 to pro. Now he's been on the tour three, four years and he's got a lot more experience then I have."

Sampras, who lifts weights, runs daily and plays mornings and afternoons, spent part of last summer working out with her illustrious kid brother -- and his personal trainer -- at his new home in Florida.

"It was fun to spend time together again," she says. "We were always very close -- we practiced together, traveled to tournaments together and shared the same experiences and problems. Hitting balls with him brought back a lot of memories."

She'll be seeing him again at the end of this month, when they both travel to Flushing Meadows for the U.S. Open. This time she'll be there to play, not to watch.

It's the first step toward an ambitious set of goals that includes making the top 100 ranks in singles, the top 20 in doubles, getting to Wimbledon and playing in a Grand Slam.

Before she could even begin, however, the soft-spoken Sampras had to overcome an admitted dislike for the "win, win, win" pressures of competitive play.

"Pete used to get so frustrated with me because I'd play so well against him and would tighten up and get so tentative in tournaments," she says.

She believes she's put that behind her.

"I think I'm as hungry to win as anyone else, and the way my game's evolving has helped.

"I'm a serve-and-volley player, which allows me to get to the net and play aggressively," she says. "If I'm serving well, everything else falls into place."

And she has another secret weapon. She hates to lose. Just ask brother Pete.

UPCOMING
What: $350,000 Virginia Slims of Los Angeles tennis tournament.
When: Qualifying rounds begin at 10 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. Tournament matches, 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Semifinals 1 and 7 p.m. Aug. 15. Finals 2 p.m. Aug. 16.
Where: The Manhattan Country Club, 1330 Park View Ave., Manhattan Beach.
Tickets: $10 to $28. Available through TicketMaster or by calling the tournament office,
546-7753.
Information: 546-7753.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #564

Easy Target : Battle-Scarred Monica Seles Is Still Reeling From Her Experiences in a War Zone Called Wimbledon
August 09, 1992
THOMAS BONK
LOS ANGELES TIMES

The World According to Monica:

Your peers think you sound like the exhaust from a cement mixer; the world's most important tournament does everything but sell hunting licenses and declare you in season, and the press . . . well, consider this colorful passage from Nick Pitt in the Sunday Times of London:

"The images she conjures on court are certainly unattractive: a figure scuttling along the baseline like a crab; a face screwed up like a rodent's; a racket wielded like a hag with a frying pan; each blow . . . a grotesque double-handed mirror of the other, punctuated by an exclamation from the torture chamber."

Pretty complimentary, huh?

Gee, what happened to all the light-hearted fun you're supposed to have being the No. 1 player in the world?

Call it a honeymoon in hell.

Just a month ago, Monica Seles arrived at Wimbledon safe and secure, confident, unassailable and pretty much unbeatable.

After such a Wimbledon experience culminating in a one-sided loss to Steffi Graf--the first Grand Slam women's final to be measured by a Gruntometer instead of a scoreboard--Seles might be showing a few scars this week when she steps on the courts at the Manhattan Country Club for the Virginia Slims of Los Angeles.

The two-time defending champion of the $350,000 tournament in Manhattan Beach, Seles finds herself in a totally unfamiliar position--on the defensive.

Imagine how confusing this must be for someone like Seles. After all, here is the preeminent offensive weapon in women's tennis, whose groundstrokes leap off her racket like lightning bolts heading for the deepest recesses of the corners of the court.

"I guess this is what happens when you're No. 1," Seles said. "I was told by some people to expect all this attention and stories and everything, so I should have been better prepared, I guess. But I must admit I've been surprised by some of the things that have come out."

The hyperactive English press set the pace. A year ago, when Seles pulled out of Wimbledon three days before it was to begin, the tabloids speculated on the reasons for her absence and reported everything from Seles being pregnant to her being captured by aliens.

Apparently, Fleet Street didn't forget Seles' slight of skipping the country's most renowned sports event, not counting the Henley Regatta or a test match on the cricket ground at Lords.

A picture of Seles' rented house in Wimbledon Village, and which street it was on, was printed in most tabloids. At least two newspapers sent reporters to Serbia to find relatives or childhood friends who were willing to criticize Seles for leaving for Florida instead of staying in her native country.

A headline in the Sun said: "She's much too busy making money nowadays to worry about us, says grandmother."

Then there was a story about an alleged bomb scare at the rented house, postmatch interview questions asking if Seles was addicted to butter and if she thought her bottom too big, and the biggest controversy of all--grunting.

The whole grunting issue might never have happened if not for the All England Club, which informed the women players they could complain to the chair umpire if Seles made too much noise during a match. Now, it was all out in the open--an issue that became more popular than talking about the weather.

Seles was perplexed. "I've played in tournaments all over the world, and Wimbledon is the only one where (grunting) is talked about," she said.

There is a chance that Seles could run up against Martina Navratilova in the final next Sunday, which would be a rematch of their wonderfully entertaining Wimbledon semifinal, during which Navratilova twice complained to the chair umpire about grunting by Seles.

Think Navratilova is looking forward to a rematch? She doesn't sound like she is, at least in public.

"Well, Monica is No. 1, but to me, it wouldn't be any more special to beat Monica than Steff (Graf) or Gabriela (Sabatini)," Navratilova said. "Obviously, I'd take a win over any of them."

Navratilova supports the general notion among the players who critique Seles that she was louder at Wimbledon than she was before and that she can really control herself anyway.

"I think it's just emotional," Navratilova said. "She can (be quiet). Now it becomes an issue because she can get penalized for it.

"Besides, people can't appreciate her strokes because she's so noisy."

It remains to be seen--or heard--whether the grunting issue is over, whether Seles has been able to leave it on the other side of the ocean or whether it will follow in her every sneaker step, perhaps all the way to the U.S. Open later this month.

Or perhaps someone will invent another controversy with Seles' name on it: She's too rough with the tennis balls? Her matches are too short? Something will come up.

Consciousness will be raised possibly, not to mention the decibel level.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #565

Navratilova enjoys her message - At 35, fourth-ranked player going strong
Daily Breeze
Sunday, August 9, 1992
Mitch Chortkoff

Martina Navratilova enjoys playing tennis but doesn't enjoy answering why she hasn't retired.

"I'm asked all the time," she said. "It becomes annoying. Obviously, I still like the sport or I wouldn't be out there."

Is that all?

"Well, the money is nice," she said. "And there's something else."

At this point Navratilova turned especially serious.

"I really feel I'm inspiring people by playing well at this age," she said. "I'm sending out a positive message."

Navratilova is 35 and has won more women's tournaments than any player. By winning in
Chicago two months ago, she surpassed Chris Evert's record of 157.

Navratilova will try to add to her total this week at the Virginia Slims of Los Angeles. The tournament, played annually at the Manhattan Country Club in Manhattan Beach, has an outstanding field.

Defending champion Monica Seles is the top seed, followed by Navratilova and Arantxa Sanchez Vicario.

Due to the Olympics, the tournament will have a draw of only 28 players. That's far less than usual, meaning fewer matches, but there still will be day sessions throughout the week besides the evening program.

The top four seeds will have first round byes.

In Seles' half of the draw are Sanchez Vicario and fifth seed Helana Sukova. Navratilova's half includes fourth-seed Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere and sixth-seed Zina Garrison.

Navratilova is feeling good about her game. Surgery on both knees last year relieved pain and increased her mobility.

"I'm having a good time," said Navratilova. "I'm ranked No. 4 and that's less pressure than being No. 1 or 2. The matches are more enjoyable because it's not like I should win every time.

"Team Tennis has helped a lot too. It sharpens my game. I'll be coming from the Team Tennis championship match so it'll be different getting back to tournament play."

What bothers Navratilova?

"Poor lighting," she said. "When you can't see the ball it's quite a problem. We had an indoor facility in Team Tennis at Tampa Bay where it wasn't so great.

"At Manhattan Beach it isn't fantastic but it's good enough. Sometimes, at night, my glasses fog up but I can handle that problem."

Navratilova has made some concessions to age.

"I'm playing 12 tournaments this year, not 16 like I used to," she said. "I'm taking more days off where I don't practice."

Navratilova, who frequently played doubles earlier in her career, picks her spots now. She won't play doubles in this event.

What's new with her game?

"My second serve has improved," she said. "I really think it's much improved."

Her opponents will be happy to hear that news.

VIRGINIA SLIMS
What: Virginia Slims of Los Angeles Tennis Tournament.
Where: Manhattan Country Club, 1330 Park View Ave., Manhattan Beach, 90266.
When: Monday through Friday at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m., Saturday (semis) at 1 p.m. and
7, Sunday (finals) at 2.
Prize money: $350,000 [
Money Distribution: Winner $70,000; Runner-up $31,500; Semifinalists $15,950.
Tickets: $10 to $28. Available at TicketMaster, May Co. and Music Plus or by calling (310) 546-7753.
Last year: Monica Seles defeated Kimiko Date in the final, 6-3, 6-1.
Top seeds: 1. Seles. 2. Martina Navratilova. 3. Aranxta Sanchez Vacario. 4. Manuela Maleeva Fragniere. 5. Helana Sukova. 6. Zina Garrison. 7. Amy Frazier. 8. Julie Halard.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #566

NO. 1 SEED SELES HAS BROUGHT A VOW OF SILENCE
Daily News of Los Angeles
Monday, August 10, 1992
Marc Stein

It's tennis and it's Monica Seles, which is why the subject of quiet figures to dominate the $350,000 Virginia Slims of Los Angeles that begins today at Manhattan Country Club.

Seles will be trying to win her third straight L.A. title, only this time she plans on doing so gruntless. She hasn't played a tour event since Wimbledon, when the outcry surrounding her unique release of tension drew the ire of, most notably, Martina Navratilova.

Navratilova, seeded second, figures to be No. 1 Seles' main competition this week. The 35-year-old Aspen, Colo., resident was a late entry into the event, which already had Seles and Spain's unsuccessful gold-medal hope, No. 3 Arantxa Sanchez Vicario.

Those three, along with No. 4 Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere, No. 6 Zina Garrison and unseeded Pam Shriver, head the 28-player field. A $70,000 check goes to the winner.

Should the top two seeds reach the final, it would be the first meeting between Seles and Navratilova since the Wimbledon semifinals, during which the nine-time champion complained twice about Seles' noises.

"It's a good opportunity to play the top players," Navratilova said. "I'm ready for some other players after a month of TeamTennis. It's very rare you have three of the top four in the same tournament. I'll take a win over any of them.

"We'll see if Monica can tone it down. It's sort of annoying to everybody. She can do it. She has done it before. If she doesn't grunt anymore, it becomes a moot point."

In a special event last month in New Jersey, Seles stayed quiet and beat Olympic champion Jennifer Capriati in straight sets.

Play starts at 11 a.m. today. Seles, Navratilova, Sanchez Vicario and Maleeva-Fragniere have byes into the second round.

Today's feature matches are during the night session, which starts at 7 p.m. Shriver plays Marianne Werdel of Palo Alto in a first-round match.

VIRGINIA SLIMS OF LOS ANGELES AT A GLANCE

When: Today through Sunday.

Where: Manhattan Country Club, 1330 Park View Ave., Manhattan Beach.

Today's schedule: Play starts at 11 a.m. Center court - Stephanie Rottier vs. Gretchen Magers; Karina Habsudova vs. Laura Gildemeister; Julie Halard (8) vs. Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer. At 7 p.m., Pam Shriver plays Marianne Werdel, followed by Lori McNeil vs. Monique Javer
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #567

Silence of Seles suspect - Slims proving ground for toned-down game
The Orange County Register
Monday, August 10, 1992
Janis Carr

Ever since she popped onto the women's tennis scene, Monica Seles has not exactly led a quiet life.

And we're not talking about her grunting, either. Not yet.

If its not her ever-changing hair color people are talking about it's her dominating victories or her three consecutive French Open titles or her mysterious absence from Wimbledon last year or attraction to Madonna or penchant for fancy clothes or fascination with tennis history or her Woody Woodpecker laugh or her ....

You get the idea.

Every month (week?) it seems, Seles is the topic of a new conversation. The latest subject matter dealt with her grunting during Wimbledon, which some players said was louder than a New Year's Eve noisemaker.

Natalie Tauziat complained about it. Chair umpire Fran McDowell twice asked Seles to tone it down. Martina Navratilova criticized it. The British press even set up a "grunt-o-meter" during Seles' matches.

"It's just so distracting and unenjoyable," Navratilova said. "Now it's become an issue
because she can get penalized, so she's making an extra effort.

"We'll see if she can tone it down."

Seles gets the chance to prove to the world that she is quieter this week at the $350,000 Virginia Slims of Los Angeles, her first tournament since losing the Wimbledon final to Steffi Graf.

Like Sampson without his hair, Seles desperately kept her mouth shut during the final and lost, 6-2, 6-1.

In her defense, Seles said she tried to silence herself at Wimbledon. "There were a few points where I said, `Monica, don't grunt, don't grunt.' But when it gets to such a tense part of the match, I just don't seem to keep it down," Seles said at Wimbledon.

"It's just because it's here (Wimbledon). I'm a top player. If I was No. 5 or 6, not so many people would notice."

Don't bet on it.

Seles, the defending champion, probably will get her first test on Wednesday when she faces the winner of the Laura Gildemeister-Karina Habsudova match.

No doubt Navratilova, seeded second, will be listening as she waits for her first match against the winner of the Ann Grossman-Alexia Dechaume match.

Also entered in the 28-player field is Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, who is coming off her double bronze medal effort at the Olympics, Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere, Zina Garrison, and Pam Shriver.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #568

TENNIS / WOMEN'S TOURNAMENT AT MANHATTAN BEACH : Po, Tired of Traveling, to Return to UCLA
August 11, 1992
JEFF FLETCHER
LOS ANGELES TIMES

When Kimberly Po does something, she devotes 100% of her time to it. That's why she left UCLA a year ago to play on the women's tennis tour.

It's also why she is quitting tennis after the U.S. Open next month.

Po, who advanced into the main draw of the Virginia Slims of Los Angeles with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Julie Richardson of New Zealand at the Manhattan Country Club, said Monday that she will return to UCLA after the year's final Grand Slam.

Po said she would eventually like to study environmental law.

"It's just something I've wanted to do for a while," Po said. "When I tell people, they sometimes give me weird looks, though."

Po, 20, of Rolling Hills, said the tour's main drawback is the travel. So far this year, she has spent about 2 1/2 months abroad, including a 3 1/2-week stay in Australia in January and a month in Europe from the French Open through Wimbledon.

"I don't like being away from home and my friends," said Po, who played from 1989 to 1991 at UCLA. "I don't think I could live like that for seven or eight years."

Before the Virginia Slims, Po was ranked 85th. She was the 11th-ranked college player in her last year at UCLA.

"She's got the type of game that I think she could have done very well," said Susie Mascarin Keane, a UCLA assistant when Po was in college and a pro for eight years.

"I was really surprised to hear (she was retiring). I know so many women from the college crew who are just out there trying to get to that level. Here you have someone who has pretty much made it, and she doesn't want it."

At Wimbledon, Po played well against Martina Navratilova and won the second set before play was called because of darkness. The next day, she lost the third set, 6-0, and was eliminated.

Amy Frazier, seeded seventh at the Virginia Slims, said Po has a good serve and solid ground strokes.

"I'm sad to see her retire," said Frazier, who beat Po at the Suntory Open in April.

Po's next match will be today at 11 a.m. against Catarina Lindqvist of Sweden. Po lost during the first round at last year's tournament.

"It's hard playing here because it's too close to home," she said. But she also said that, in a way, tennis is easier for her now that she is on her way out.

"I have less pressure," she said.

When she returns to UCLA, Po said she would like to help with the Bruin women's tennis team, particularly because of a new NCAA rule that allows teams to have only one paid assistant coach, creating a need for volunteers.

Po said that she might continue to play in a few local pro events that would not require her to skip too many classes, "just to keep my name in the computer."

The most difficult part of her decision, she said, will be leaving the friends she made on the tour.

"I have friends from Japan and Australia," she said. "When am I ever going to see them again?"

Quitting the tour is Po's second tough decision in the past year.

She decided to leave UCLA at the end of the school year because of injuries. She suffered an elbow injury after she fell during a running drill and a thumb injury running into a fence. Po decided she should give the tour a chance before more injuries ended her hopes of playing professionally.

Besides, Po said, she knew that she "could always go back to school."

Tennis Notes

Pam Shriver beat Marianne Werdel, 6-2, 6-1, Monday night. . . . Top-seeded Monica Seles will play her first match at 7 tonight against Karina Habsudova. Martina Navratilova will play her first match Wednesday.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #569

Pam Shriver is of a singles mind - Known for doubles, she hopes to upgrade her solo ranking
Daily Breeze
Tuesday, August 11, 1992
Mitch Chortkoff

Once she was the up-and-coming kid of tennis, bursting onto the scene about the same time as Tracy Austin.

Now Pam Shriver is 30. She's President of the Women's Tennis Association and active in
numerous other activities.

Known primarily as Martina Navratilova's doubles partner in recent years, Shriver still has ambitions to upgrade her singles ranking, which was No. 33 when the week began.

Shriver began play in the $350,000 Virginia Slims of Los Angeles Tournament at the Manhattan Country Club Monday night with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over former Stanford player Marianne Werdel.

After losing two of the first three games, Shriver won 11 of the final 12, requiring only one hour to complete her work.

"After the first few games I was almost perfect," said Shriver. "I stayed on the baseline more than usual because that's the best way to play her. It turned out right."

After undergoing successful shoulder surgery, Shriver earned Comeback of the Year honors last year.

The winner of 22 Grand Slam championships and $4.7 million in earnings, Shriver views the next year as being extremely important.

"The next 12 months will decide a lot for me," she said. "If I'm going to get back into the Top 10 it'll happen in that time.

"Right now, my ranking allows me to get seeded directly into the tournaments. That's something I used to take for granted but it isn't automatic for everyone.

"The ranking determines a lot. For example, my play now isn't much different from when I was in the top 10. But with a lower ranking you don't get great seedings. For the first time I had to play a top seed in the second round at Wimbledon."

Shriver lost that match to Jennifer Capriati 6-2, 6-4, but played well in the second set.

"I'm getting there," said Shriver. "I need to have a breakthrough tournament. Win one or do well in a Grand Slam and get back to the low 20s."

"It's not easy. My shoulder is never going to be perfect. I can't serve as well or as long as I used to. But I haven't had many losses lately to players ranked below me."

Monica Seles, who is top-seeded, will debut tonight at 7 against Karina Habsudova of Czechoslovakia.

Martina Navratilova and Arantxa Sanchez Vicario are the other highly ranked players in the field.

The 6-foot Shriver still commands attention on the court. And, with any partner, she helps form an impressive team.

Shriver won the the Virginia Slims doubles championship last year with Navratilova. She won the U.S. Open doubles title with Natalia Zvereva.

NET GAINS
Some facts about Pam Shriver
Won 109 consecutive doubles matches with Martina Navratilova between 1983 and 1985.
Won 1988 Olympic Games doubles gold medal with Zina Garrison.
Halted Steffi Graf's 46-match winning streak in 1988.

SCHEDULE
CENTER COURT: 7 p.m. -- Monica Seles vs. Karina Habsudova; Arantxa Sanchez
Vicario-Helena Sukova vs. Lindsay Davenport-Akiko Gooden.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #570

Shriver loves winning in Slims of LA - Victory over Werdel helps frame of mind
The Orange County Register
Tuesday, August 11, 1992
Janis Carr

Like many out-of-towners, Pam Shriver said there are many reasons she loves LA. For instance:

There's the Local Yolk, a small breakfast spot, in Manhattan Beach.

"They have the best pancakes. Yesterday, I had blueberry pancakes and today I had banana, with herbal tea and orange juice, fresh-squeezed.

"Just don't tell Richard Krajicek that I had the big stack," Shriver said, referring to Krajicek's remark at Wimbledon that women tennis players are "fat, lazy pigs."

Then there are her pals, the Reagans, Ronald and Nancy, who live in Santa Barbara.

"I might give them a call," said Shriver, a registered Republican. "I haven't seen them in two or three years."

And Nordstrom.

"I love it because they have a lot of size 11 1/2 shoes there."

And the Pacific Ocean.

"That's where I had one of my more interesting body surfing incidents," she said. "The top of my bathing suit ripped off and I didn't know it when I stood up, so the Pacific has some meaning."

Then, of course, there's the hard courts at the Manhattan County Club, where Shriver has had a modicum of success in the Virginia Slims of Los Angeles.

A two-time doubles winner and one-time singles finalist here, Shriver on Monday took a step toward her first singles title in four years with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Marianne Werdel.

"I would love to win one more singles title," Shriver said. "My last one was in Zurich in October 1988. Maybe it's like the Olympics, they come once every four years.

"But I'm not going to put that kind of pressure on myself and neither are you (press)."

Shriver, who was once ranked as high as third, has dropped to 33rd after not playing a singles match in five weeks.

"I didn't come in here with a lot of match toughness," she said. "I think I'm playing well,
though. I'm playing at a top 20 level, even though I'm 32ish. I think people still respect my game even though I'm not the top 10 player I used to be."

Ros Fairbank-Nideffer also knows what it feels like to drop in the rankings.

Fairbank-Nideffer and her husband took an exciting sightseeing vacation last year to Europe. And while they didn't spend a lot of lire and francs, the trip proved costly for Fairbank-Nideffer.

Because she spent more time checking the sights than practicing tennis on the clay courts, her ranking plummented faster than the Dow Jones on a bad day.

From a spot in the low 30s to "well below 100."

"After you've been in the 30s, it doesn't feel good to be in the 100s," said Fairbank-Nideffer, who should move up from her current No. 59 after upsetting
eighth-seeded Julie Halard, 6-3, 6-2, Monday.

Fairbank-Nideffer acknowledges that her clay-court swing through Italy, Germany and France that year was a mistake - but fun.

"I'm not a clay-court player and hadn't played those tournaments since back in 1979 or '80," she said. "But we thought this might be a good way to see the cities."

NOTES:

Debbie Graham of Fountain Valley withdrew from the Slims of LA because she has the chicken pox. ... Top-seeded Monica Seles faces unseeded Karina Habsudova at 7 tonight.