1992 - Page 37 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 9th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #541
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

Hy rallies for win in Matinee tennis
The Record
Tuesday, August 18, 1992
Donald McKenzie, The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - Patricia Hy realized that self-pity wouldn't help her against an opponent once ranked No. 7 in the world.

Hy, Canada's top-ranked player, dropped the first set of her first-round match with Kathy Rinaldi at the $550,000 US Matinee International women's tennis tournament on Monday.

Hy attributed her poor early performance to her own concerns about playing under the glare of lights.

"I hadn't played too many night games, so in the first set, I was so worried about adjusting."

Her discomfort was evident as Rinaldi, now ranked 100th after climbing as high as No. 7 in 1987, blasted shot after shot past a bewildered Hy.

"I don't know if people saw it but I was definitely whining inside," said the Cambodian-born Hy, who lives in Richmond Hill. "So I had to turn that around."

And that's what happened as Hy, ranked 40th on the women's computer rankings, stormed back for a convincing 2-6, 6-3, 6-0 victory, which guarantees her a second-round match against the winner of today's contest between No. 15 seed Gigi Fernandez and Rika Hiraqi.

Hy said being stretched to three sets early in the tournament can only be beneficial.

"I tend to play better with each match and winning a three-setter is always a confidence-booster. You just feel that it doesn't matter how poorly you start, that you can finish up strong when it matters."

Hy's victory salvaged some pride for the Jarry Stadium fans, who saw three other Canadians eliminated in first-round action.

In afternoon action, Vanessa Webb of Toronto was beaten by Noelle van Lottum of France 6-2, 6-2, while Vancouver's Sonya Jeyaseelan was hammered 6-1, 6-0 by South African Elna Reinach.

Maureen Drake took a 4-2 first-set lead against No. 14 seed Naoko Sawamatsu of Japan before losing 6-4, 6-3 - the Toronto native's fourth consecutive first-round loss in the tournament.

Drake admitted to a case of nerves as the match progressed.

"I do tend to get nervous on centre court in front of big crowds," said Drake, who had lost her only previous match with Sawamatsu.

"I started getting a little bit tired and trying to go for a lot more but I was making too many errors. But it's tough playing in your own country, with everbody wanting you to win."

Canada's two other hopes - Helen Kelesi of Richmond Hill and Toronto's Rene Simpson Alter - play their first-round matches today.

Kelesi, now ranked 179th, plays Andrea Temesvari-Trunkos of Hungary, who is ranked 109th. Simpson Alter goes against American Louise Allen, with a second-round match against Sawamatsu the winner's reward.

Top-seeded Monica Seles, who received a first-round bye, is scheduled to play her second-round match today against Marianne Werdel, of the United States.

Organizers hope Seles's presence will attract fans to a tournament that was rocked by the last-minute withdrawals of top stars Steffi Graf, Martina Navratilova and Jennifer Capriati.

The other top seeds are No. 2 Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, No. 3 Mary Joe Fernandez and No. 4 Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere.

Monday's action drew 8,938 fans and, including weekend qualifying rounds, boosted attendance to 17,089, compared with 16,834 in 1990 when the tournament was last held here.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #542

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Hy's win over Rinaldi saves day for Canada
The Toronto Star
Tuesday, August 18, 1992
Pat Hickey, MONTREAL GAZETTE (SOUTHAMSTAR NETWORK)

MONTREAL - Patricia Hy went from being a whiner to being a winner last night in the opening round of the Matinee International women's tennis championships at Jarry Tennis Stadium.

"I don't know if you could see it from the stands but I was whining inside," the 26-year-old from Richmond Hill said after she rallied to beat American Kathy Rinaldi 2-6, 6-3, 6-0.

The victory salvaged some pride for the home team on a day when three other Canadians tried to follow the advice of tourism officials by being kind to visitors.

"I started out worrying about too many little things," said Hy. "I've never been comfortable under lights and I let that bother me. The result was that I let her run me from side to side. It was the middle of the second set before I regained my focus. I told myself that if I was going to lose, I was going lose with an intention. I didn't want to be the only one working out there."

Hy became more aggressive in the second set, coming to the net and trying to break Rinaldi's rhythm.

"I saw her starting to back up and I started mixing things up," said Hy. "I know she let a few bad calls upset her but I think there were some bad calls against me as well. I've never seen a perfectly called match. I knew I had her when she was serving at 0-3 in the third set and she double-faulted twice."

Hy said the win was a good omen for the rest of the week.

"A three-set win always gives you confidence and I play better as the week goes on," said Hy, whose ranking on the Women's Tennis Association computer jumped to a career-high 40 in the rankings released yesterday.

Hy, who plays the winner of today's match between 15th-seeded Gigi Fernandez and qualifier Rika Hiraki, also said she gets a boost from playing in Canada.

While the other Canadians in action yesterday all said they were nervous playing at home, Hy, who was born in Cambodia, said she felt more comfortable knowing the crowd was behind her.

The other Canadians in action yesterday didn't figure to get past the first round - and they didn't.

The only member of the trio with a WTA ranking, Maureen Drake of Toronto, had the most respectable scores as she lost to 14th-seeded Naoko Sawamatsu of Japan 6-4, 6-3.

Two 16-year-olds who received wild-card berths looked out of place as they suffered one-sided losses.

Noelle van Lottum of France beat Vanessa Webb of Toronto 6-2, 6-2 while South African Elna Reinach beat Sonya Jeyaseelan of Vancouver 6-1, 6-0.

Drake, who is No. 205 on the computer, said she was baffled by a player who doesn't hit the ball very hard.

"She's very steady and obviously she's very good because she's in the top 30 in the world," said Drake, who fell apart after taking a 4-2 lead in the first set. "I played her in juniors three or four years and I knew what to expect but I didn't have enough patience.

"I've been working on my serve-and-volley game and if I had been serving better, I might have been able to dictate the pace. But I wasn't getting that many first serves in and that meant I was stuck on the baseline and I couldn't beat her from there."

Only three seeded players saw action yesterday and they all had some difficulty reaching the second round.

Ninth-seeded Judith Wiesner of Austria beat American Patty Fendick 2-6, 6-2, 6-2; 12th-seeded Brenda Schultz of the Netherlands outlasted American Halle Cioffi 6-2, 1-6, 7-6; and 16th-seeded Nicole Provis of Australia beat Stephanie Rottier of the Netherlands, 6-0, 7-6.

Top-seeded Monica Seles will make her Canadian Open debut when she plays American Marianne Werdel in the first match of tonight's evening session. There was some concern when Seles sprained her ankle in a tournament in Los Angeles on the weekend, but she worked out here yesterday and seemed to be moving well.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #543

Garrison Stalled By Bulimia On Climb Up Tennis Ladder
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Tuesday, August 18, 1992
By Alison Muscatine, The Washington Post

Not so long ago, Zina Garrison tiptoed to the edge of tennis greatness. She humbled legends such as Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf. She knew what it was like to curtsy on Centre Court and play in a Wimbledon final. She was among the elite of her sport: ranked fourth in the world, with more than $3 million won.

Her life seemed the stuff of myth, a young black athlete who emerged from the steamy playgrounds of Houston to compete successfully in the rich and almost lily-white province of professional tennis.

But despite the success, all was not well in Garrison's universe. She lacked the killer instinct of the great players. She was emotional, easily hurt, more concerned about helping others than helping herself.

And she had a secret, a demon that tormented her as she pursued her dream of the No. 1 ranking.

''I've struggled with the eating disorder of being bulimic,'' Garrison, 28, said last week in a telephone interview from California, where she lost to Navratilova in the quarterfinals of the Virginia Slims of Los Angeles.

''It's hard [to admit it] because I want to be a perfectionist, and any time you have to say there is something wrong with you and you need help for it, it's like criticism and being put down and you have to deal with it.''

Now ranked No. 16 and still waiting for a victory this year that she can be proud of, Garrison remains a woman of passionate causes. The homeless and inner-city children occupy a large chunk of her time. And in the last year, she has begun to speak more openly about the once-taboo subject of bulimia.

''It's something a lot of women and a lot of girls have a problem with and a lot of them are afraid to talk about it,'' Garrison said. ''I believe the way to correct something is to hit it head-on and talk about it.''

Her bulimic episodes started after her mother's death in 1983, when a relative suggested that by purging after meals she could eat heartily and still stay trim. Although she broke into the top 10 that year and remained there for six of the next seven years, Garrison privately endured the ravages of the disease.

''You can't control it. You're very depressed and you don't know why you're depressed. Your fingernails are very soft, your hair starts to fall out, your skin is bad,'' she said.

She still had bulimic episodes when she ended Evert's Grand Slam career in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open in 1989. And when she married Willard Jackson later that year. And when she toppled Graf and Monica Seles to reach the Wimbledon final in 1990.

But instead of capping those triumphs with a straight trajectory to the No. 1 ranking and a Grand Slam title, Garrison's career veered off its mark. Just when she was on the verge of her biggest breakthrough in 1989, she slipped back, inexplicably faltering when it counted most. Only with time did Garrison admit the severity of her health problem and the toll that it was taking physically and professionally.

''I lost to someone ranked 350th in the world and I lost because I didn't have any energy,'' she recalled. ''That had never happened to me before.''

She is not the only famous woman athlete to have suffered from bulimia. Recently, a host of other stars have gone public as well: tennis player Carling Bassett-Seguso; Olympic gymnasts Cathy Rigby, Nadia Comaneci, and Kathy Johnson; and diver Megan Neyer.

But Garrison is one of the few athletes to discuss bulimia openly while still competing. After years of keeping it hidden - even her friend and Olympic gold medal doubles partner in Seoul in 1988, Pam Shriver, never knew about it - she has found it therapeutic to speak up.

She would like to play another four or five years if she remains healthy. She is philosophical about her ranking - her lowest in a decade - and the fact that she has won only one title in nearly two years. She has scaled back her goals, tried to stay in shape with more running, and promised not to overlook that tennis should be fun.

For now she can take pleasure in other victories. Like conquering bulimia, which for the most part she has done.

''It's more under control, although it has triggered off a couple of times more recently, within the last year,'' Garrison said. ''It's just a matter of controlling it. It's something you live with day to day.''
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #544

Kelesi has easy time in opener
The Record
Kitchner, Ontario, Canada
Wednesday, August 19, 1992
Donald McKenzie, The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - So what if the defeated opponent wasn't Monica Seles or Steffi Graf; Helen Kelesi was still thrilled with the victory.

"I haven't played many tournaments this year and I was really pumped up when I walked out on the court," a smiling Kelesi said after her 6-0, 6-2 whipping of Andrea Temesvari-Trunkos at the $550,000 US Matinee International tennis event Tuesday.

Kelesi, who was born in Victoria and now lives in Richmond Hill, was ranked 29th in the world at the end of 1991 but a serious hip injury last March has sent her freefalling to 178th.

Her first-round performance against Temesvari-Trunkos, however, featured the type of shots which earned her the nickname Hurricane Helen and propelled her as high as 13th in the world in late 1989.

"My hip felt fine and I just didn't let her play her game," Kelesi said of her victory, which took less than an hour.

"I hit deep and made her run and I really felt the points were coming to me."

Kelesi has no time to bask in the glory, however, as she faces No. 6 seed Nathalie Tauziat of France in second-round action tonight.

"I really don't have any expectations for the next match," Kelesi said. "I don't know if I can handle the pressure (of a really tough opponent), but I'll have to be just as energetic as I was today."

Rene Simpson Alter of Toronto, Canada's other singles player Tuesday, was not as fortunate, losing 6-3, 3-6, 3-6 in a hard-fought contest against American Louise Allen.

"It was very disappointing," said Alter, who won the Canadian Nationals last month.

"I played well in the first set, but I must have got over-confident in the second set because my concentration slipped away."

The only other Canadian survivor, Patricia Hy of Richmond Hill, plays her second-round match today against Japan's Rika Hiraqi, who pulled off a minor upset Tuesday with a three-set victory over No. 15 seed Gigi Fernandez.

The other seed to lose Tuesday was No. 12 Brenda Schultz of the Netherlands, who was eliminated in three sets by Carrie Cunningham of the United States.

As expected, top-seeded Seles reached the third round, but the world's top-ranked player often looked uncomfortable against Marianne Werdel, a hard-hitting American.

Werdel led 4-2 in the second set before Seles, whose shots were punctuated by the loud grunts which landed her in trouble at this year's Wimbledon, wore her down for the 6-2, 6-4 win.

But the Florida-based Yugoslav said she didn't feel in any danger even when she trailed 4-2 in the second set.

"I player her (Werdel) in November and I was down 4-1 or 5-1 and I came back, so that kind of stuck in my mind."

Seles was playing her first match since losing 6-4, 6-2 on Sunday to Martina Navratilova in the final of the Virginia Slims of Los Angeles - a tournament in which she sprained her left ankle in the semifinal.

Seles added that the ankle hurt a little Tuesday but didn't bother her as much as Werdel's powerful groundstrokes and the jet lag from Monday's flight from Los Angeles.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #545

Kelesi takes first-round rival by storm
The Toronto Star

MONTREAL - Helen Kelesi took out five months of frustration on longtime rival and former doubles partner Andrea Temesvari at the Matinee International women's tennis championships yesterday.

"I've been a basket case all week waiting for this match and I came out strong," Kelesi said after she beat Temesvari 6-0, 6-2 in 53 minutes.

Meanwhile, top seed Monica Seles, who received a first-round bye, got off to a great start in a later match, beating Marianne Werdel of the U.S., 6-2, 6-4.

Matches have been few and far between for Kelesi this year. The last time she finished a match on the women's tour was at the Lipton Championships in mid-March. She missed three months with hip, hamstring and groin problems, returned to upset Conchita Martinez of Spain in Federation Cup play and then came down with a case of bronchitis which forced her to skip the Olympics.

"It was very frustrating," said Kelesi. "I remember after I pulled out of the Italian Open, I went home and I couldn't even read about tennis or watch it on TV. I'd hear a result and I'd want to be there."

The frustration was compounded by the fact that Kelesi's ranking on the WTA computer plummeted. She's down to No. 178, although an injury exemption allows her to play tournaments this year without qualifying.

"I look at that ranking and I think it's a bad joke," said the 22-year-old, who recently gave up her condo in Whistler, B.C., to move back in with her father, Milan, in Richmond Hill. "When I started eight years ago, I wasn't No. 178. I think I first went on the computer at No. 80 and I've been in the top 50 for eight straight years. It's okay this year because I have the exemption but if I don't win some matches, I'll be back in qualifying next year. That will be a character builder."

If Kelesi plays many more matches like she did yesterday, she won't have to worry about qualifying. She dictated the play against Temesvari and had only one moment of doubt.

"She had four break points in the second game and if I had lost and gone down 2-0, it might have been different. But I fought to win that game and it felt good."

"I knew what to expect against Andrea because we've played a few times and I know that she either plays well or she doesn't play well. Today, I didn't let her play."

Kelesi became the second Canadian to reach the second round. She joins Federation Cup teammate and Richmond Hill neighbor Patricia Hy. Hy won her first-round match Monday.

Hy and Kelesi are back in action today and Hy received a break when qualifier Rika Hiraki of Japan upset 15th-seeded Gigi Fernandez of the U.S. Hiraki, at No. 138, should present far less of a challenge than Fernandez, who is No. 31.

Kelesi plays sixth-seeded Nathalie Tauziat of France and she said she's looking forward to the rematch after losing to Tauziat this year at the Virginia Slims of Florida.

Canada's Rene Simpson-Alter also had to deal with frustration but her experience wasn't as positive as Kelesi's.

"I was frustrated because I didn't play as well as I could," Alter said after dropping a 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 decision to American Louise Allen.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #546

Seles is back winning - and grunting
The Toronto Star

Let's get the grunting issue out of the way right off the top.

Monica Seles did not grunt in the Wimbledon final, which she lost to Steffi Graf and didn't grunt in Sunday's Virginia Slims of California final, which she lost to Martina Navratilova.

She did, however, grunt last night in a 6-2, 6-4 win over American Marianne Werdel in a second-round match at the Matinee International at Jarry Tennis Stadium.

"I try not to think about it," said Seles, squelching reports that she lost to Graf because she was distracted by the grunting issue.

"That had nothing to do it," said Seles, "but I was disappointed that two players I've been playing against for years suddenly decided to say something about it. I'm not the only who does it."

Seles, who received a first-round bye, was one of three seeded players to reach the third round.

No. 5 Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria beat Noelle van Lottum of France 6-3, 6-3 while No. 8 Lori McNeil beat fellow American Donna Faber 6-2, 6-3.

The only seed to lose in the first round was 15th-seeded Gigi Fernandez. She lost to qualifier Rika Hiraki of Japan 6-2, 2-6, 6-4. Hiraki plays Canadian Patricia Hy this afternoon.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #547

Hy advances to third round, but Kelesi KOd at Matinee
The Record
Thursday, August 20, 1992
Donald McKenzie

MONTREAL - And then there was one.

If a Canadian is to win this year's Matinee International Canadian Open women's tennis tournament, it's going to have to be Patricia Hy.

The Cambodian-born Hy emerged as the lone Canadian survivor in the round of 16 after her 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory over Japan's Rika Hiraki on Wednesday.

Canada's hopes of two representatives in the last 16 died when Helen Kelesi was swept aside 6-2, 6-4 by sixth-seeded Nathalie Tauziat of France.

Hy's victory set up a third-round meeting today with No. 5 seed Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria, last year's Canadian Open runner-up.

Maleeva has won their only previous encounter, but Hy, of Richmond Hill, no doubt will be motivated by the prospect of a quarter-final showdown, in all likelihood against top-seeded Monica Seles.

The round of 16 will feature the top 11 seeds, including No. 2 Arantxa Sanchez Vicario of Spain, No. 3 Mary Joe Fernandez of the United States and fourth-seeded Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere.

Sanchez Vicario drubbed American Caroline Kuhlman 6-1, 6-1 in just one hour, Fernandez celebrated her 21st birthday with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Pascale Paradis of France, and Maleeva-Fragniere of Bulgaria downed U.S. university champion Lisa Raymond 6-2, 6-1.

The gritty Hy took a certain pride in bouncing back from a set down for a second consecutive match in the $550,000 US tournament.

"When I don't start well and then fight back, that gives me confidence," said Hy, who attributed the slow start to a first-round doubles win with partner Rene Simpson Alter of Toronto that went late into the night Tuesday.

"I keep saying I'm going to start quicker, but the way Rika was hitting, I was on the defensive a lot," said Hy, who trounced Hiraki in their only previous meeting two years ago in Oklahoma.

"That was indoors and she wasn't as powerful then," said Hy, who will turn 27 on Saturday. "I did remember that she doesn't go to the net and that I won by running her down, so that's what I did."

After dropping the first set, Hy broke service for a 3-1 second-set lead and held it.

In the final set, Hy broke Hiraki for a 3-2 lead while the Japanese was serving against the stiff breeze blowing down the hardcourts at Jarry Stadium. Another service break made it 5-2 and Hiraki hit long on match point to bow out.

Kelesi, trying to find her groove after a lengthy layoff due to a serious hip injury and pneumonia, was not unduly disappointed by the setback against Tauziat, ranked 13th in the world.

"I think I played a good match," said Kelesi, coughing repeatedly during the post-match interview.

Kelesi said the strong winds played havoc with her shots, particularly her serves.

"The wind was a factor and with it blowing like that, it was really cold and I could feel my chest really tightening up," said Kelesi, also of Richmond Hill.

Kelesi, ranked 178th after hitting the giddy heights of 13th in late 1989, said the defeat highlighted the need for her to play more competitive matches so she can reach her physical peak.

"I felt kind of weak on some points. I didn't have enough energy out there and I'm not in the best shape."

Play Wednesday drew 10,958 spectators, boosting attendance to date for the tournament to 39,589. In 1990, when the event was last held here, attendance at the same point was 36,238.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #548

Hy passes a very tiny test Canadian beats 5-foot-2 dynamo to advance
The Toronto Star
Thursday, August 20, 1992
CP

MONTREAL (CP) - Patricia Hy of Richmond Hill overcame a blustery wind and a tiny dynamo of an opponent in Rika Hiraki of Japan to advance to the third round of the Matinee International Canadian Open women's tennis tournament yesterday.

Hy rebounded from a sluggish opening set to win 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 over Hiraki, a 5-foot-2, 99-pound qualifier with surprisingly strong baseline shots.

"The way she was hitting, there wasn't a lot I could do but try to run down her balls and try to run her down," said the unseeded Hy, Canada's top-ranked player at No. 40 in the world.

Later yesterday, Helen Kelesi of Richmond Hill was to play sixth-seeded Nathalie Tauziat of France and second-seeded Arantxa Sanchez Vicario was to meet American Caroline Kuhlman.

Hy had also struggled early in her first-round win over American Kathy Rinaldi on Monday.

"I keep saying I'm going to start quicker, but the way Rika was hitting, I was on the defensive a lot," said Hy, who trounced Hiraki in their only previous meeting two years ago in Oklahoma.

"That was indoors and she wasn't as powerful then," said Hy, who will turn 27 on Saturday. "I did remember that she doesn't go to the net and that I won by running her down, so that's what I did."

The victory set up Hy's third-round meeting today with Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria, a Canadian Open finalist last year in Toronto when she lost to American Jennifer Capriati. Maleeva won their only previous match, but Hy says she's on a roll.

"When I don't start well and then fight back, that gives me confidence," said Hy, who attributed the slow start to a first-round doubles win with partner Rene Simpson-Alter of Toronto that went late into the night on Tuesday.

Hiraki, 20, ranked 138th in the world, had upset 15th-seeded Gigi Fernandez of the United States in the opening round and looked headed for a second surprise against Hy.

But after dropping the first set, Hy broke service for a 3-1 second-set lead and held it.

In the final set, Hy broke Hiraki for a 3-2 lead while the Japanese was serving against the stiff breeze blowing across the hard courts at Jarry Stadium. Another service break made it 5-2 and Hiraki hit long on match point to bow out.

Mary Jo Fernandez, the third seed, celebrated her 21st birthday with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Pascale Paradis of France.

Fernandez, whose only prior appearance at the Canadian Open was in doubles in 1986, fell behind 3-2 in the second set but then overpowered Paradis with an attacking game.

"I didn't want to lose on my birthday," said Fernandez, the Australian Open finalist who has quietly risen to No. 6 in world rankings. "With Pascale, you never know what to expect because she can make some unbelievable shots.

"I played aggressively. I knew she'd come in to the net a lot and when I play someone like that, I try to attack them.

"But it was tough in the wind. On one side, you didn't want to hit too hard and on the other, you didn't know if you'd make it to the net."

In the third round, Fernandez is to meet 1988 Canadian Open finalist Natalia Zvereva, the 11th seed who downed qualifier Jennifer Santrock of the U.S. 6-3, 6-3.

Fourth-seeded Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere had a successful debut, downing U.S. university champion Lisa Raymond 6-2, 6-1.

Maleeva, the elder sister of Katerina who is now playing out of Switzerland, will meet ninth-seeded Judith Wiesner of Austria in the third round. Wiesner dispatched Sweden's Catarina Lindqvist 6-4, 7-5.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #549

Capriati says winning Olympics boosts her chances in U.S. Open
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Thursday, AUGUST 20, 1992
Josh Young

Winning an Olympic gold medal might have saved Jennifer Capariati's career. Will it help her win the U.S. Open?

Capriati, 16, has had her share of problems this year. In February, things seemed to be unraveling in camp Capriati.

She was admittedly unhappy with tennis early in the year. Her father, Stefano, and her agent, John Evert, were criticized in several articles. Her game lost its zip.

It was nothing that a big victory couldn't cure. Although the Olympics didn't count in the rankings, beating Steffi Graf in the final was the high point of her career.

"I can't describe the feeling," Capraiti said by telephone from her home in Saddlebrook, Fla. "I had chills. It was like, 'Wow, everything I've done is worth it.' It was a feeling of relief that I had finally done something really big."

Capriati's victory in Barcelona was circumstantial, if you will. She loved the Olympic Village. She used the computerized message system, a blind date setup of sorts that allowed athletes to contact each other, like a schoolkid who had just discovered video games.

On the court, she beat Spain's Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario in front of her country's king and queen - Capriati didn't know who they were until later - and she beat Graf for the first time in five career matches.

The combination of Capriati finding her tennis game and her happiness could prove to be potent at the U.S. Open, to be held Aug. 31-Sept. 13.

"[Beating Graf and Sanchez-Vicario] proved a lot to me and it built up my confidence for the U.S. Open," Capriati said. "My confidence is really high. Steffi was always the one I couldn't beat, even though I was close. Now, I have passed a level; I'm at a new, higher level."

Last year's U.S. Open brings back a painful if motivating memory for Capriati. In the semifinals, Capriati came within two points of beating the eventual champion, No. 1 ranked Monica Seles.

"It took me a couple of weeks, a couple of months actually, to forget that loss," she said. "Sometimes I will be laying in bed thinking, `Geez, why couldn't I win just two more points at 5-4, 30-all in the third set.' "

Capriati will play the Mazda Classic in San Diego the week before the U.S. Open. Her goal there, she said, is to keep her game grooved. Nothing fancy, just baseline tennis. She doesn't have a full-time coach, nor will she hire one before the U.S. Open.

After all, things seem to be going well for her for the first time this year. Why try something different?

Pre-U.S. Open notes - As usual, USA Network will carry early rounds of the U.S. Open live, and CBS will handle the weekends. . . . An issue that won't come up is equal prize money between the sexes because the U.S. Open is the only one of the four Grand Slam events that pays men and women equally. The take for this year's singles winners: $500,000, up $100,000 from last year.

It is not surprising that John McEnroe will play doubles with Michael Stich since the duo won Wimbledon in July. . . . Martina Navratilova and Pam Shriver also will be on the same side of the net, going after their fifth U.S. Open title as a team. . . . In case you happen to be autograph-seeking during the two weeks, the men's players will stay at the U.N. Plaza Hotel on First Avenue, while the women will bunk at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.

Wimbledon champ Steffi Graf pulled out of the Canadian Open, her only U.S. Open warm-up event, with tendinitis in her right shoulder, but she should be fine for the U.S. Open. . . . Finally, 1979 and 1981 U.S. Open champion Tracy Austin, who recently got engaged to Scott Holt, hits the road this week to promote her autobiography, Beyond Center Court, due in bookstores before the first ball is hit at the 1992 Open.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #550

Hy upsets Maleeva, will now battle Seles
The Record
Friday, August 21, 1992
Bill Beacon

MONTREAL - Patricia Hy will celebrate her 27th birthday Saturday on a roll.

Even if she loses today's quarter-final match to world No. 1 Monica Seles at the $550,000 US Matinee International Canadian Open women's tennis tournament, she has already made great strides in both the tournament and her career.

Ten years older than the age at which most players achieve success, Hy has equaled the best-ever performance by a Canadian at the Canadian Open and has risen to a career-high world ranking of 40th.

"Better late than never," Hy said Thursday. "I guess you could say I'm peaking at 27. I took my time to enjoy life."

The unseeded Hy mastered cold, windy conditions Thursday to upset fifth-seeded Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria, a Canadian Open finalist in Toronto last year, 6-3, 6-3 before an appreciative Centre Court crowd at Jarry Stadium.

That set up today's meeting with Seles, who at 18 already has two French Open titles as well as Australian and U.S. Open crowns under her belt.

Seles, an ethnic Hungarian from Serbia who refuses all comment on the current troubles in Yugoslavia, scored a two-set victory in their only previous meeting in Palm Springs last year.

That was before Hy turned up her game a notch, the Toronto resident said.

"I've worked really hard on my serve and backhand and that's really improved my game," said Hy, a native of Cambodia who received Canadian citizenship on July 17, 1991.

"Before, all I really had was my forehand. Now, opponents don't know which I'll use. I want to play Monica again because I lost to her a year ago and I'm fitter and tougher now."

Carling Bassett in 1985 and Helen Kelesi in 1987 were the only other Canadians to reach the Canadian Open quarter-finals in the modern era. Neither got any further.

Hy was not so lucky in doubles, where she and partner Renee Simpson-Alter of Toronto were beaten 6-4, 6-4 by the sixth-seeded team of Jill Hetherington of Peterborugh and Kathy Rinaldi of the United States.

Seles, an easy 6-1, 6-2 winner over Japan's Naoko Sawamatsu, is aiming for a meeting in Sunday's final with second-seeded Arantxa Sanchez Vicario of Spain, who bounced 10th-seeded Amanda Coetzer of South Africa 7-6 (7-3), 6-2.

The power-hitting Seles is using the Canadian Open to prepare for the U.S. Open which begins Aug. 31 in New York.

"There are a couple of tough players here to make it interesting," said Seles, who is coming off disappointing defeats to Steffi Graf in the Wimbledon final and to Martina Navratilova last week in Los Angeles.

Neither Graf nor Navratilova entered the Canadian event.

"I wish either of them was playing, but not both," Seles said. "That would be too much like a grand slam. I came here to get into match shape. I haven't been playing that well in the last few weeks. I have to improve my game. My serve is erratic."

Sanchez, 20, is also looking ahead to New York. One of the busiest players on the women's tour, Sanchez plans to take a holiday after the U.S. Open.

"I'm not tired," said Sanchez, currently ranked No. 5. "I know I play a lot, but I feel good. And I'll have next week off to get ready for the grand slam."

Sanchez is to meet sixth-seeded Nathalie Tauziat of France, who needed three sets to oust South African qualifier Elna Reinach.

Third-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez of the United States also had a tough third-round match with 11th-seeded Belorussian Natalia Zvereva, but still prevailed 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).

"I played her a couple of weeks ago at the Olympics and it was a tough match there too," said Fernandez, who also needed a tie-breaker to win in Barcelona.

When Zvereva had trouble serving in the windy conditions, Fernandez put her attacking style to work.

"She kicks her second serve - that's probably the shortest ball she hits," Fernandez said.

"I knew I had to take advantage of that. I think I got a couple of double faults off it, so it paid off being aggressive."

Fernandez will meet seventh-seeded Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia in the quarter-finals. The last quarter-final sees fourth-seeded Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere, who plays out of Switzerland, against eighth-seeded American Lori McNeil.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #551

Hy moves on to challenge Seles after beating fifth-seed Maleeva
The Toronto Star
Ontario, Canada
Friday, August 21, 1992
Pat Hickey, Montreal Gazette (SOUTHAMSTAR NETWORK)

MONTREAL - Patricia Hy says every tennis player hits her peak at a different age.

"Jennifer (Capriati) hit her peak at 12 and I'm hitting mine at 27," Hy joked yesterday after she upset fifth-seeded Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria 6-3, 6-3 to reach the quarterfinals of the $550,000 (U.S.) Matinee International at Jarry Tennis Stadium.

It wasn't the biggest victory of Hy's career - she beat Jana Novotna of Czechoslovakia earlier this year when Novotna was No. 10 on the Women's Tennis Association - but it served notice that, after 10 years on the women's tour, Hy fully deserves her current position in the top 40 on the WTA computer.

"I think I'm playing my best tennis," Hy said, "but I think I can play better. I've been working on my serve and I've been working on finishing matches off. That was my concern after I won the first set. I remember when I played Mary Joe Fernandez at the Olympics and I had match points against her and I couldn't put it away."

Hy lost that match 6-2, 1-6, 12-10 but she didn't have a similar problem yesterday. There was a brief moment of panic when she fell behind 0-2 in the second set, but she said that helped pump her up.

"I have to be an aggressive player," Hy said, "and my intensity level picked up after I fell behind. When I pulled even at 3-3, I thought I saw something go out of her."

Hy said it was important to have a good start against Maleeva after losing the first set in her first two matches.

"I knew I couldn't do the same thing," said Hy, "because if Katerina won the first set that would give her all sorts of confidence."

In the wake of her victory, Hy said she didn't yet have any thoughts on her quarterfinal matchup against top-seeded Monica Seles, who beat her 6-4, 7-5 last year.

"I always try to give myself an hour to enjoy my victories," she said. "Sometime this afternoon, I'll start worrying about Monica."

Seles looked awesome as she ran through 14th-seeded Naoko Sawamatsu of Japan 6-1, 6-2 in her second consecutive 53-minute romp.

"I don't think I'm at 70 per cent of my game," said Seles, who could have fooled a lot of people. "My ankle is still a little sore but I'm winning and that's what I'm here to do. I'll take next week off to rest for the (U.S.) Open, so I want to get lots of matches."

Second-seed Arantxa Sanchez Vicario of Spain had a shaky start but won a first-set tiebreaker 7-3 en route to a 7-6, 6-2 win over 10th-seeded Amanda Coetzer of South Africa.

Sanchez Vicario plays sixth-seeded Nathalie Tauziat of France today. Tauziat advanced with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 win over South African Elna Reinach.

The other quarterfinal matchups have third-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez of the U.S. against seventh- seeded Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia, while fourth-seeded Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere of Switzerland meets eighth-seeded Lori McNeil of the U.S.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #552

Hy makes Open quarterfinal by ousting No. 5 seed Maleeva
The Toronto Star
Friday, August 21, 1992
CP

MONTREAL (CP) - Monica Seles cruised to an easy win in the third round of the Matinee International tennis championship and Toronto's Patricia Hy fought to a crowd-roaring 6-3, 6-3 victory.

Top-seeded Seles, who is still listed as living in Yugoslavia while she resides in Florida, beat 14th-seeded Naoko Sawamatsu of Japan 6-1, 6-2.

Then Hy walked on to centre court at Jarry Stadium to the cheer of the crowd.

After working her way through long matches against American Kathy Rinaldi and Japan's Rika Hiraki, Hy had to confront fifth-seeded Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria.

Maleeva is ranked 12th in the world.

Unlike her previous two matches, Hy started like a woman with a mission and smashed Maleeva 6-3 with her sharp serve and powerful forehand.

The test came in the second set.

Hy fell behind the more-experienced Maleeva 1-3. But she fought back to 3-3, then went ahead 4-3.

Hy broke Maleeva's serve to go up and began to serve for the match. She went to deuce, won the point, took the advantage, then won the second set 6-3, to take the match.

"I was flying out there," said the beaming Hy after the contest which she ranked as one of her most satisfying wins against higher-ranked players.

"I felt like I could get to any ball and I was very aggressive. The crowd was really behind me . . . and it made me happy to be a Canadian."

The other major match of yesterday afternoon's third round pitted Spain's Arantxa Sanchez Vicario against South Africa's Amanda Coetzer.

Sanchez won the first set 7-6 on a tiebreaker, then swamped Coetzer 6-2.

The Cambodian-born Hy, who will be 27 tomorrow, was educated in Florida but now lives in Toronto and became a Canadian citizen last year.

She now has the unenviable honor of playing her quarterfinal match today against the world's best player, Seles, who admitted she wasn't really tested by the soft-hitting Sawamatsu.

"It was fun playing out there today," Seles said. "I just want to get in some good match play before the U.S. Open next month."

Hy is only the third Canadian to reach the quarterfinals in the history of the Canadian Open. The first was Carling Bassett in 1985 and the second was Helen Kelesi in 1987.

Yet, Hy said she wasn't nervous about meeting Seles today.

"I want to play Monica again because I lost to her a year ago in Palm Springs and I think I'm fitter and tougher now," Hy said with a determined look.

Mac goes wild: John McEnroe attacked the net -and a television camera- to survive a challenge by Thierry Guardiola at the Volvo International yesterday in New Haven, Conn.

McEnroe was at his ranting and raving best - or worst as he describes it - during the three-hour, 12-minute match as he beat Guardiola 6-7, (6-8), 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) to advance to the third round.

McEnroe pushed over an ESPN camera during the first-set tie breaker. After the match, he admitted it was a dumb move. "If you can't channel your energies in a more positive way and enjoy it, it's just kind of ridiculous to go out there and put myself in a position where I end up doing something stupid," he said. "It's just not necessary. I don't need it and tennis doesn't need it." McEnroe said that after hitting the ball into the net he meant simply to push the camera up, not tip it over. He apologized to the camera operator two sets later.

ATP supervisor Mark Darby said McEnroe would be fined between $500 and $5,000.

Stefan Edberg, Ivan Lendl, Michael Chang and Goran Ivanisevic also won their matches Thursday.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #553

Seles ends Hy's bid for history
The Record
Saturday, August 22, 1992
CP

MONTREAL (CP) - Patricia Hy's bid for Canadian tennis history was ground to dust Friday by the relentless power shots of world No. 1 Monica Seles.

Seles rebounded from a second-set mental lapse to crush Hy 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 in the quarter-finals of the Matinee International Canadian Open women's tennis tournament on the windswept hardcourts at Jarry Stadium.

"I was proud of taking that second set," said Hy, of Richmond Hill. "I didn't have a good first set, but was able to turn my focus around in the second."

"But in the third set, she was making everything."

Hy, who turns 27 today, was only the third Canadian of the modern era to reach the quarter-finals of the Canadian Open. But like Carling Bassett in 1985 and Helen Kelesi in 1987, she got no further.

Top-seeded Seles advanced to a semifinal meeting today with eighth-seeded American Lori McNeil, who upset Switzerland's Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere, the fourth seed, by 7-5, 6-2 with a sharp serve-and-volley game.

Another serve-and-volleyer, Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia, also pulled an upset with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 win over third-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez of the United States.

Sukova, the 1986 Canadian Open champion currently ranked 15th in the world, will play her semifinal against her doubles partner, second-seeded Arantxa Sanchez Vicario of Spain.

Sanchez was a 6-2, 6-4 winner over sixth-seeded Nathalie Tauziat of France.

After breezing through the opening set, Seles saw Hy come alive for a 5-0 second-set lead that had a large centre court crowd roaring with each point. But Seles fought back to 5-4 before Hy was able to close the set.

"At 5-0, I was a little back on my heels," said the unseeded Hy, whose performance will raise her world ranking to a career-high 36th. "She made one or two balls and then she got her momentum back and started shooting those bullets."

Seles, 18, an ethnic Hungarian from Serbia who lives in Florida, took 10 of the last 12 games to score her second victory in as many meetings with Hy.

"I don't know what happened in the second set - my mind went off the court," said Seles, who has two French Open as well as Australian and U.S. Open titles. "She's a tough player, but I still don't think I should have let that happen."

Seles continues to struggle with her service. She was broken at love on her serve for Hy's only win of the final set - her 10th loss of service in three matches this week.

"I don't think I've served so many double-faults in my whole career as this week," said Seles, who had five in the match.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #554

Connors no match for Becker's serves
Houston Chronicle
Saturday, AUGUST 22, 1992
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- The body and spirit was willing, but Jimmy Connors' shots failed him.

Connors committed costly errors in two crucial service games and lost to Boris Becker 6-4, 6-3 in a quarterfinal of the U.S. Hardcourts on Friday.

Defending champion Pete Sampras defeated wild card Thomas Enqvist of Sweden 6-0, 7-6 (8-6), and second-year pro Todd Martin of Lansing, Mich., ousted sixth-seeded Francisco Clavet of Spain 6-1, 6-2.

Becker got all the breaks -- three -- in their first match since 1987. The German won with booming serves that blasted past his 39-year-old opponent.

"Sometimes you can't hit what you can't see," Connors said.

"I wanted to make sure I was always just a little ahead," said Becker, who is 5-0 lifetime against his idol. "He's trying all the time. It doesn't matter what score, against who, doesn't matter what kind of temperature it is. He doesn't let the other guy know he's down. He always puts his head up."

Connors was unable to take advantage of ideal conditions for him -- cool temperatures and low humidity, immense crowd support and a familiar stadium court where he won four U.S. Clay Court titles in the 1970s.

Sampras, the defending champion, raced through the first set against Enqvist in 23 minutes. Enqvist, the world's No. 1 junior last year, regained his composure to force the second-set tiebreak, but Sampras' experience was too much.

Sampras, who has won his last two tournaments, will meet Becker in today's semifinals. He beat the German in three sets in last year's U.S. Hardcourts final.

Martin, a former Northwestern standout, dominated Clavet, who gained his No. 23 world ranking on the strength of his clay-court results.

Martin hasn't dropped a set in reaching the semifinals of a tournament for the first time this year. Sanchez reaches semifinals

MONTREAL -- Monica Seles showed a hint of vulnerability as she and Arantxa Sanchez Vicario of Spain cruised into the semifinals of the Matinee International Canadian Open women's tournament with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over France's Nathalie Tauziat.

"Everything is going well," Sanchez said. "I'm serving well and I'm playing great."

Sanchez, the second seed, easily countered the sixth-seeded Tauziat's attacking style to advance to a semifinal meeting today against her doubles partner, Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia.

Sukova, seeded seventh, beat No. 3 Mary Joe Fernandez 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.

Another serve-and-volleyer, eighth-seeded Lori McNeil of Houston, beat fourth-seeded Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere of Switzerland 7-5, 6-2.

Sanchez, ranked No. 5 in the world, reached her third semifinal in as many weeks. She was beaten in the Olympic semifinals by gold medalist Jennifer Capriati and lost a semifinal to Seles last week at Los Angeles.

Sanchez, who has reached at least the semifinals of 12 tournaments this year, won Olympic bronze medals in singles and doubles.

Sanchez has won all her five career meetings with Tauziat, who is ranked 13th in the world.

Sukova was down a service break at 4-3 in the third set, but roared back to beat a frustrated Fernandez, who double-faulted on match point in the stiff wind.

"I played better than she did," said Sukova, 27. "I think I should have won the second set, but I made some mistakes."

Fernandez won two meetings with Sukova earlier this year, but "this time, I didn't choke," Sukova said.

For McNeil, it was only her second win in eight meetings with Maleeva and her first since 1987 at Dallas and she hadn't even captured a set in their last five encounters.

"The key was that I returned well and served well," said McNeil.

Seles, the top seed, lost a set to unseeded Patricia Hy of Canada before prevailing 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 in an unusually long -- for Seles -- match of 1 hour, 29 minutes.

Hy, ranked 40th in the world, won the first five games of the second set and then broke Seles' serve in the 10th game to win the set, only the second that the world No. 1 has dropped this year to a player outside the top 20.

"I don't know what happened in the second set. My mind went off went off the court," Seles said. "I was not moving. At 5-0, my feet were coming back. Then I lost it again at 5-4. She's a tough player to play. Still, that should not happen in the second set."

Ivanisevic advances

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Goran Ivanisevic overcame sloppy play and Marc Rosset's powerful serve to advance to the Volvo International quarterfinals with a three-set victory.

Ivanisevic, the second seed, won 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 in 99 minutes.

Other high seeds advanced fairly easily as top seed Stefan Edberg beat 16th seed Paul Haarhuis 6-2, 6-4; No. 3 Michael Chang defeated No. 14 Andrei Cherkasov 6-2, 6-1; No. 4 Petr Korda won over Chuck Adams 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, and No. 5 Ivan Lendl beat Amos Mansdorf 6-2, 6-3.

Ninth-seed John McEnroe was beaten by eighth-seed MaliVai Washington 7-6 (7-0), 6-4 and No. 7 Guy Forget and unseeded Fabrice Santoro also advanced to the quarterfinals with straight-set victories.

Ivanisevic could hardly touch Rosset's first serve as the Olympic gold medalist had 17 aces and won the point on 46 of the 49 first serves he got in.

"It's tough to play a guy like him," said Ivanisevic, who leads the ATP in aces this year. "Every second serve was 127 (mph), 120, 125. You can't see it. It's going too fast. You can't react."
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #555

No.1 Seles beats back gritty Hy to advance
The Toronto Star
Saturday, August 22, 1992
Pat Hickey, Montreal Gazette (SouthamStar Network)

MONTREAL - That old devil Mo Mentum was jumping all over centre court at Jarry Tennis Stadium but he saved the last dance for Monica Seles.

Seles, the No. 1 seed from Yugoslavia, slipped into the semifinals of the Matinee International Canadian Open women's tennis championships with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 win over unseeded Patricia Hy of Richmond Hill.

Seles plays eighth-seeded Lori McNeil in the first semifinal today at noon. The second semifinal sends second-seeded Arantxa Sanchez Vicario against seventh-seeded Helena Sukova.

The Seles-Hy match had more ebbs and flows than the tides in the Bay of Fundy. Hy started slowly, took a 5-0 lead in the second set, slipped to 5-4 and then watched Seles take control in the third set when she took a 3-0 lead.

Chance evaporated.

There was a time when the 26-year-old Hy had a chance to get back into the match in the third set but it turned on a missed volley.

Hy was trailing 3-1 but had a 40-30 lead on her serve when she tried a drop shot. Seles reached the ball and tried to angle it cross-court. Hy guessed right but her volley attempt into the empty court hit the top of the net and bounced back onto her side.

"The third set probably turned on that point," agreed Hy. "If I had made that shot it would have been 3-2. But I went on to lose that game and I was suddenly down 4-1."

But Hy's biggest regret was that she didn't close out the second set more quickly after leading 5-0.

Indomitable spirit.

"I had two set points at 5-0 and I missed both of them," said Hy. "I finally won the set but it took me four extra games and that was four games of wasted energy."

It's a credit to Seles's fighting spirit that she continued to push after falling behind 5-0. In a similar situation, many players would be content to end the second set and get on with the third.

"My first thought was to try to win my serve so that I least lost 6-1," said Seles. "Then, as I started winning games, I thought if she could go up 5-0, there was no reason why I couldn't make it 5-5.

"Earlier in the set, my mind just left the court," said Seles. "I shouldn't have let it happen but it did and she started playing better."

That wasn't the only time Seles's mind left the court. She was distracted in the 10th game by what she thought was a bad call on the game's first point.

"I let it bother me too much," said Seles.

Very little bothered Seles as she cruised through the final set. Outside the game Hy won, Seles surrendered only 10 points in the set.