1992 - Page 34 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 19th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #496
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

Seles tightens an iron grip - Tennis
The Times
London, England
Friday, January 24, 1992
From Andrew Longmore, Tennis Correspondent in Melbourne

ON THE evidence of yesterday's semi-finals at the Australian Open, Monica Seles is tightening her Graf-like stranglehold on the game just a little each day.

Seles yesterday reached her fourth consecutive grand slam final, extending her unbeaten run to 27 matches including the Australian, French and United States open titles with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and inviting comparison with the German's domination of the late Eighties.

Seles, now a worldly wise 18, still has some way to go before she surpasses Graf's 41 consecutive grand slam victories, or matches her record of eight titles in nine grand slam tournaments. But if opponents continue to play into her hands as neatly as the Spaniard did yesterday, anything is possible.

The only barrier to the world No.1's successful defence of the title is the waif-like figure of Mary Joe Fernandez, who outsmarted Gabriela Sabatini, the No.3 seed, and at least gave a hint that she, for one, wants to loosen Seles's iron grip.

Fernandez was as much of a revelation as Sabatini had been at the United States Open final in 1990. On that day, the Argentinian revealed her conversion to the art of serve-and-volley and stunned Graf with her mastery of it. Yesterday, she seemed genuinely shocked to find the American adopting the same tactic and showing a decent working knowledge of the approach and the volley.

Had she perhaps unwittingly coaxed other confirmed baseliners into coming to the net? Sabatini was non-committal. "Could be. Mary Joe certainly played much more aggressively than she did in Sydney last week," she said. Fernandez won just five games there; yesterday, she won six out of the first seven on her way to a 6-1, 6-4 victory in 84 minutes.

Fernandez's unlikely accomplice in this new aggresive approach is Harold Solomon, the most dedicated of all baseliners. It was said that the only time "Solly" went to the net was to shake hands but he played well enough to his limitations to reach No.5 in the world and the final of the French Open.

Solomon's copious notes on the match will show that his charge ventured to the net 18 times and made 15 winning volleys. Moreover, even when she was under pressure to finish the match in the second set, the dainty American kept coming forward.

The baptism of fire will come for the No.7 seed tomorrow when she has to cope with the Yugoslav's rifling ground strokes. Fernandez nearly upset Seles last year in the semi-final on a hot afternoon and will take heart from that experience.

Sanchez Vicario was once travelling the same road, but the journey to serving and volleying has ended in a cul-de-sac and she went like a lamb to her eighth consecutive defeat by Seles, beaten in mind, if not body, before a grunt had been uttered or a ball hit in anger. "I'll have to try something different next time," the No.4 seed said.

RESULTS: Men's singles: Semi-final: J Courier (US) wo R Krajicek (Neth), scr. Women's singles: Semi-finals: M Seles (Yug) bt A Sanchez Vicario (Sp), 6-2, 6-2; M-J Fernandez (US) bt G Sabatini (Arg), 6-1, 6-4. Men's doubles: Semi-finals: T Woodbridge and M Woodforde (Aus) bt R Krajicek and J Siemerink (Neth), 4-6, 3-1, ret; K Jones and R Leach (US) bt S Davis and D Pate (US), 4-6, 4-6, 7-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 19th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #497

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Seles' aim: slam door on Fernandez - Defending Australian champ not feeling repeat pressure
Austin American-Statesman
Friday, January 24, 1992
Steve Wilstein, AP

MELBOURNE, Australia - Strategy doesn't mean much to Monica Seles, who says the key to winning championships is found in the heart, not the head.

Rather than worry about how to cope in the Australian Open final Saturday against the new net-attacking style of Mary Joe Fernandez, Seles simply looks inside herself to raise her game.

Champions, she said, know how to play the big points in every match and the big matches in every tournament.

"I just really tell myself, 'This is the last match of the tournament and give it everything you've got,' " she said. "I just tell myself to go out there and hit the ball. Sometimes when you have a little bit more pressure on yourself, your feet stop moving, and instead of hitting out, you're just hitting into the net or hitting long balls. That's probably why I play so well in the championships."

Seles also is trying to ignore the pressure of defending her title here and the ranking points that go with it.

"The first Grand Slam title I had to defend was the French Open, and it was really difficult," she said. "I never really felt that type of pressure until then. But I got used to it. I can't think about defending the points. I'm just going to have to play great tennis, and take it as a new year. That's what I promised myself - to forget '91, and in '92 forget defending your points. It's just too much pressure, and each year it's not worth going through all this pressure."

She said too many champions and the players who chase them focus on the rankings, and miss out on the enjoyment of the game.

"I'm just trying to be the same as when I was No. 6, and play the same way," she said. "You can't stop and smell the roses, because the No. 2 player wants the ranking of No. 1 so badly that if you stop you could end up being No. 5 pretty soon."

Fernandez, who reached No. 4 in the rankings after getting to the Australian Open finals two years ago, finished 1991 ranked No. 8. At 20, she's been chasing the top players for a long time with a style fashioned after the baseline slugging of role model and fellow Floridian Chris Evert.

Now, Fernandez has turned to an unlikely coach to make her game more aggressive.

Harold Solomon won 22 tournaments in a long and successful pro tennis career, and rarely ventured to the net. As a coach, Solomon is teaching Fernandez to rush to the net frequently and volley with authority.

Fernandez showed the benefits of Solomon's wisdom with a surprising 6-1, 6-4 victory over No. 3 seed Gabriela Sabatini on Thursday in the semifinals, just after Seles beat Arantxa Sanchez Vicario 6-2, 6-2 from the baseline.

Fernandez hooked up with Solomon only last month but says he already "has influenced me a lot. He told me I had to take chances if I want to achieve a higher goal.

"I think Harold made me realize that I had no choice if it was to be my goal to be the best and improve my game," Fernandez said.

Solomon was among the top 15 money winners on the men's tour from 1974-80 but played his game almost exclusively from the baseline because at 5-foot-7 he lacked the physical stature to match his rivals for power.

Now, he is urging Fernandez, 5-foot-10, to practice what he preaches.

"It is hard to change when you have been playing a certain way forever," Fernandez said. "It is these matches that you look back on and say, 'Hey, I did it.' I won and now I have got to keep on doing it."

Fernandez lost to Seles 9-7 in the third set of last year`s Australian Open semifinals and was beaten by Steffi Graf in the 1990 final. She never has won a Grand Slam title.

She has vowed to adopt the same aggressive approach today.

"I am going to have to do the same thing as I did (Thursday) - play aggressive and go for it," said Fernandez, who is 1-10 against Seles. "I was close last year, and I have learned from it. I got ahead and didn't go for it. I waited for things to happen. You can't do that against a top player.

"I have to return well, serve well, because she takes the initiative right away, and if you return short, she comes in and knocks the ball."
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #498

Seles destroys Fernandez to claim Australian crown
Austin American-Statesman
Saturday, January 25, 1992
Steve Wilstein, AP

Monica Seles brought back the court supremacy of her 1920s idol, Suzanne Lenglen, with a show of ferocity today in the Australian Open final, after which she made a fashion statement in Lenglen's style.

Moments after routing seventh-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez, 6-2, 6-3 for her fifth Grand Slam title, Seles donned the kind of flowery, crushed-silk pink bonnet and ankle-length print dress that Lenglen might have worn when she ruled tennis 70 years ago.

A thoroughly modern teen-ager with an appreciation of the past, Seles is no less the individualist than Lenglen was when she dominated Wimbledon and the French championships. The late Ted Tinling, a fashion designer whose association with women's tennis began with a love for Lenglen and ended with joy over Seles, drew the comparison between them when Seles first began her rise a few years ago.

Seles, 18, spoke of emulating Lenglen before the Australian Open this year, and left looking like her, even if her groundstrokes and grunts are of a new age.

Seles destroyed Fernandez's chip-and-charge strategy with a fusillade of laser-perfect shots on the lines Saturday to win a second straight Australian Open.

Ignoring a slight sore throat and a lingering neck strain, Seles hit the ball with such depth and precision that Fernandez had no chance to use the new attacking style she showed in a semifinal victory over Gabriela Sabatini.

Pinned to the baseline most of the match, the tall, willowy, 20-year-old Fernandez, runner-up here two years ago to Steffi Graf, simply could not match the power and consistency of the skinny but relentless Seles.

"She creates shots from nowhere," Fernandez said in frustration. "When she's at her best, it's very tough to play against her. She's definitely beatable, but you have to play almost the perfect match to beat her. That's not easy.

"The best part of her game is her tenacity. Under no circumstances does she play tentatively. I think that's what wins her most of her matches."

"When I needed good shots, they were there," Seles said. "I did what I always do."

This was one of the most lopsided of championship matches for the 18-year-old Seles, who followed her Australian title last year with her second win in the French Open and first in the U.S. Open. Her second Australian Open title extended her perfect match record in the tournament to 14-0.

The only Grand Slam title she hasn't won in the past year was Wimbledon, which she missed because of shin splints.

Winner of 13 of the 19 straight tournament finals she's made, Seles broke Fernandez's serve all four times in the first set and twice in the second before Fernandez finally held to 4-2 in the second set.

Seles slugged 23 winners from the baseline to Fernandez's eight, and made only 21 unforced errors to Fernandez's 32. Fernandez had nine winners to Seles' one at the net, but couldn't go to the net often.

The long rallies, rather than the closeness of the competition, pushed the first set to 41 minutes. The second set, which Seles began by winning the first four games before her only break of service, lasted 36 minutes.

Seles' only deficiency was on her own serves, a part of her game she's been working on in practice. She began the match with a double fault, and was broken for the first time to 4-1 with a double fault on the final point.

Fernandez had plenty of chances but couldn't break through Seles, the most ferocious of competitors on the big points.

Fernandez finally cashed in on her ninth game point and sixth break point in that fifth game of the first set.

No. 1 ranking and Grand Slam titles aside, Seles figures she's four years from reaching her peak in tennis at 22.

"That was my goal that I set, and then last year when I became No. 1 it kind of mixed up everything," she said. "I thought, 'Where to from here? What's next for me?'

"Always in practice I'd say to myself it'd be nice to become No. 1, and achieve something in sport. Then when I did that I had a little time to get used to the feeling. It's great but it's not the biggest thing. It's not the smallest thing. It just feels good, and you think about winning the most Grand Slams you can and staying No. 1 as long as you can. There're still a lot of
things that I can achieve."

Seles is two years younger than Fernandez, who also turned pro at age 14, like Capriati. Fernandez achieved her highest ranking, No. 4, in 1990 after reaching the final here against Graf. Though still young, both players are feeling pressure from the younger players coming up.

"All the top players are basically teen-agers or very young players," Seles said. "What I don't like is when people say that Steffi or Gaby are getting old. I say, 'Hey, they're only 22.' I don't want that. That's still a very young age. Hopefully, people aren't going to just put a label on you that at 22 you're an old tennis player."

She said she had trouble imagining herself or the other young players now playing until their 30s like Martina Navratilova or Chris Evert.

"But we started so much younger than Martina, and we have a harder tour now than when Martina was 15," she said. "So it's a big difference."

"When you're No. 1 and you win all the time, it's hard to change," Fernandez said. "I think that's a mistake. Graf made the same mistake. Someone is going to come along who is going to beat her. She's not improving. When I did attack, I won most of the points. Eventually someone is going to catch up to her."

Seles agreed she must improve, particularly if she wants to win the only Grand Slam she hasn't claimed -- Wimbledon.

"I would really like to have the serve stronger, just come in more often. I think for Wimbledon, I'm going to have to."

AUSTRALIAN OPEN AT A GLANCE

Women's final: Monica Seles (1) routed Mary Joe Fernandez (7), 6-2, 6-3, for her fifth Grand Slam title and 13th victory in her past 19 championship matches.

Men's final: Stefan Edberg (1) meets Jim Courier (2) in a rematch of the U.S. Open final today at 7 p.m. PST. Edberg beat Courier at Flushing Meadow.

Stat of the day: Seles, who won a record $2.5 million last year, began 1992 with a $270,000 payday.

Quote of the day: "I think Jennifer will realize that she's going to have to get the fun back into the game. It's the first year she's had to defend a lot of points. She's done very well, and she's No. 7, and everyone now expects her to get into the top five. That's a lot of pressure when you're not even 16. It's tough at that age. It's not easy for anybody." - Seles, on Jennifer Capriati.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #499

TENNIS; Seles Pounds Fernandez In Final
SANDRA HARWITT
January 26, 1992
New York Times

MELBOURNE, Australia, Jan. 25— Nobody plays tennis tag better than Monica Seles. She rarely loses because it's rare that anyone can catch her.

The 1992 Australian Open was no exception.

Seles, the defending champion, took Mary Joe Fernandez's supposedly new aggressive game and pulverized it, taking a 6-2, 6-3 victory in a 1-hour-17-minute final.

Seles has never lost a match at the Australian Open, and her career record in matches stands at 173-23.

No Anxiety

"I promised myself coming into this year, I wouldn't pressure myself to get the same results as last years," said the 18-year-old Seles. "It's a new year."

But even though she arrived with a neck injury, Seles is leaving with a trophy.

Seles, a Yugoslav who lives primarily in Florida, has been in the finals of the last 19 tournaments she has entered and has won a lucky 13 of them. Her victory gave her a fifth Grand Slam crown. She has won the Austalian Open twice, the French Open twice and the United States Open once.

"I think when you're No. 1 and winning all the time, it's hard to change," the seventh-ranked Fernandez, a Miamian, said of the top-ranked woman's admission that she goes on court without a game plan and just hits.

"I think it's a mistake. Steffi Graf had the same philosophy when she was winning and didn't improve. There's always someone new who will come along and beat you."

Glimmers of Change

Two days ago, the 20-year-old Fernandez charged the net to upset Gabriela Sabatini in the semifinals, impressing everyone and indicating that she had reached a different level of play. But Sabatini, who was seeded third, is clearly not Seles.

It was the second time in three years that Fernandez had reached the Australian Open final. In 1990, she couldn't stop Graf from winning her third consecutive Australian Open title. Fernandez has only won two titles in her career, both in 1990.

Today, Fernandez could not disrupt Seles's overpowering game, which consists largely of consistently hitting winners from two steps inside the base line.

Fernandez did win nine points at the net, but she needs to hit harder ground strokes and run Seles around more to beat her. The only time Fernandez beat Seles in their 10 matches was in the first, in Fielderstadt, Germany, in 1989.

"She was playing very deep and taking the initiative," Fernandez said of the match today. "I was unlucky not to win the first four games. I had game points. It's a big difference to be down, 4-0, than being 2-all. You have to pick the right times to come in on her and not make too many errors."

The American, who has been working under the tutelage of Harold Solomon, a former top-five player, wasn't strong enough to beat Seles. But she wasn't totally embarrassed.

Hanging On

In the first set, Fernandez held game points in all but the sixth and eighth games, which she was serving. Seles looked tired in the first set, but held her serve in the key first and third games.

By the second set, Fernandez was just hanging on. Seles pounded balls at the American, racing to a 4-0 lead before Fernandez recouped one break in the fifth game. Fernandez held her serve in the sixth and eighth games to push Seles into serving out the match in the final game.

"You have to be focused," said Seles, who came to the interview room as if dressed for a garden party, in a floral dress and floppy Roaring Twenties pink hat. "You can't watch what happens around you. You have to be in the match. But after the match is finished, I try to be like anybody else."
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #500

Seles wins Australian Open in straight sets
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Paul Alexander, Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia - Top-seeded Monica Seles shook off a slow start to defeat mistake-prone Mary Joe Fernandez, 6-2, 6-3, today and win the Australian Open for the second consecutive year.

The seventh-seeded Fernandez had plenty of chances, with break points on Seles' first four service games. But Seles won most of the big points and broke Fernandez the first six games she served.

Fernandez, who had promised to continue the attacking style she used to dismantle No. 3 Gabriela Sabatini in the semifinals, looked unsettled by three errors on approach shots in the first game and largely remained pinned to the baseline by Seles' powerful groundstrokes.

As usual, Seles used her two-fisted forehands and backhands to rip winners, but there was little sign of the net game she says she has been working on.

Both women appeared nervous early. There were six service breaks in the first set alone. But Seles, who has reached the finals of 19 consecutive tournaments, winning 13, got on track first.

Constantly in trouble from her own errors, Seles ran off the first four games, although it was a struggle, with each going to deuce. The combination of Seles winners and Fernandez errors proved deadly to any hopes for an upset.

Seles set the tone with a double-fault to start the match, and also double-faulted to give Fernandez her first game after a half-hour of play.

But Seles bounced back to break Fernandez at love and regain control.

Fernandez also had one break point in Seles' first service game and three in the third.

After Fernandez pulled to within 5-2 in the first set on her second service break, Seles won the next four games to all but extinguish Fernandez's hopes.

The lanky Fernandez finally appeared to get untracked, breaking Seles and holding her own serve for the first time to cut the second-set deficit to 4-2. But Seles then held serve twice, finishing off the match when Fernandez netted a service return.

The left-handed Seles, who won all three Grand Slam events she entered last year, appeared to be completely recovered from the strained neck she suffered shortly before the two-week tournament began. She missed the 1991 Wimbledon, citing injury.

Seles, 18, played her best match in disposing of No. 4 Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, 6-2, 6-2, in the semifinals Thursday. She rediscovered her first serve, which had been giving her trouble.

Right-handed Fernandez, who lost to Seles in the semifinals last year in a 9-7 third-set thriller, turned in possibly the best performance of her career in sweeping past Sabatini, when she unveiled the new attacking style that she has been fine-tuning under new coach Harold Solomon.

Meanwhile, Stefan Edberg expects his new rivalry with Jim Courier to last for years.

When top-ranked Edberg and No. 2 Courier play tomorrow for the Australian Open title, it will be their first meeting since Edberg's overpowering, straight-sets romp against the American in the U.S. Open final on similar hard courts.

Courier won the matchup before that, beating Edberg in four sets on clay in the French Open quarterfinals on the way to the championship.

In their six meetings since 1989, Edberg holds a 4-2 edge.

As Courier continues to improve, Edberg envisions the same rivalry with him that he has had with both Ivan Lendl and Boris Becker.

"If he keeps playing well, and I do, too, yes, definitely," Edberg said.

Edberg will retain his No. 1 ranking whether he wins or loses, but welcomes the chance to increase his lead in ranking points.

"No. 1 playing No. 2 in the final. I like that," Edberg said. "If I win it will obviously help a lot."

Edberg said he felt Courier's improvement from No. 25 to No. 2 in one year was remarkable.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #501

Capriati sets Lively home debut
The Tampa Tribune
JOEY JOHNSTON

Jennifer Capriati will play her first professional event in the Tampa Bay area on March 26-29 when she competes in the $175,000 Light 'N Lively Doubles Championships at the Saddlebrook Resort.

Capriati, 15, has gained international fame during her two-year professional career. But this will be different. She'll walk to work. Her family owns a home at Saddlebrook, some five minutes from the tournament's stadium clay court.

"Jennifer is very excited about playing in front of her home fans,'' said Capriati's manager, John Evert, by telephone from the Australian Open. "She's looking forward to it.''

It could be a memorable weekend for Capriati. Her 16th birthday is March 29 - the day of the Light 'N Lively final.

Capriati will team with Gigi Fernandez, the world's top-ranked doubles player. Other teams scheduled to compete are Jana Novotna-Larisa Savchenko, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario-Natalia Zvereva, Jill Hetherington-Kathy Rinaldi and Leila Meskhi-Mercedes Paz.

Fernandez and Helena Sukova defeated Savchenko-Zvereva 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 in last year's final when the tournament was held at Innisbrook Resort in Tarpon Springs.

Tournament winners receive $65,000, the largest doubles purse for non-Grand Slam events. After losing to Gabriela Sabatini in the Australian Open singles quarterfinals, Capriati raised her career tournament earnings to $850,754.

She plans to play next week in Tokyo and at the Lipton International Players Championships. So Capriati could be closing in on the $1 million career earnings mark at Light 'N Lively.

Tickets are $14 for the first two days, $16 for the semifinals and $18 for the final. For group sales or box seat information, call 535-4511.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #502

Dow Classic from Edgbaston/Birmingham

Siddall stakes wild-card claim - Tennis
The Times
London, England
Tuesday, June 9, 1992
Barry Wood

SHIRLI-ANN Siddall, who last week enjoyed the finest win of her career when she defeated Tammy Whittington at Beckenham, staked her claim for a wild card at Wimbledon yesterday by overcoming the more experienced Austrian, Heidi Sprung, 6-4, 6-3 to reach the second round of the Dow Classic at Edgbaston.

Nerves played a part, for she led 5-1 and squandered eight set points in the first set, and led 4-0 in the second. Siddall often looked clumsy then, while Sprung appeared less inhibited. However, she made just as many errors as Siddall.

"I had to get a grip on myself when it went to 5-4," Siddall said. "I could see myself losing the set and the match. But my determination is my greatest asset, and that saw me through."

Siddall will be 18 next week. "A wild card at Wimbledon is at the back of my mind," she said. "It's everyone's dream to play there."

On a day interrupted, and then prematurely ended, by rain, few matches were completed. Jo Durie, Amanda Grunfeld and Valda Lake all waited in vain to get on court, and Sarah Loosemore, playing only her second tournament this year, will resume today against Kristine Radford, of Australia, having lost the first set 6-3, but 3-1 ahead in the second.

The most interesting aspect of Loosemore's performance was her willingness to serve and volley. Unfortunately, she paid dearly for her numerous errors at the net, something that may deter her from playing with so much assertiveness today.

RESULTS: First round: E Reinach (SA) bt S Rottier (Neth), 6-0, ret; M Endo (Japan) bt M Kidowaki (Japan), 6-2, 6-1; R Fairbank-Nideffer (US) bt M Strandlund (Swe), 6-1, 6-4; A Zugasti (Fr) bt S McCarthy (US), 6-2, 6-4; M Jaggard-Lai (Aus) bt P Fendick (US), 6-4, 5-7, 6-2; S-A Siddall (GB) bt H Sprung (Austria), 6-4, 6-3; J Richardson (NZ) bt L Golarsa (It), 6-2, 5-7, 6-4; M Oremans (Neth) bt E Callens (Bel), 6-2, 6-2.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #503

Edberg advances in tuneup
Houston Chronicle
Wednesday, JUNE 10, 1992
Associated Press

LONDON -- Top-seeded Stefan Edberg of Sweden began his Wimbledon preparation Tuesday by beating Kevin Curren 7-6 (7-4), 6-2 in the Queens Club grass-court tournament.

In other matches, Todd Martin defeated fellow American David Pate 3-6, 6-3, 6-1; No. 10 seed Amos Mansdorf of Israel downed Danny Sapsford of Britain 6-1, 6-4 and No. 14 Todd Woodbridge of Australia ousted Danilo Marcelino of Brazil 6-7 (7-9), 6-3, 6-1.

Rain forced the postponement of third-seeded Boris Becker's match against Christo Van Rensburg.

Garrison cruises

BIRMINGHAM, England -- Top-seeded Zina Garrison of Houston breezed to a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Agnes Zugasti of France in the second round of the Edgbaston women's grass-court tournament.

In other matches, fourth-seeded Lori McNeil, also of Houston, defeated Miriam Oremans of the Netherlands 6-2, 6-1 and Nathalie Tauziat, the No. 2 seed, posted a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Ros Fairbank-Nideffer.

"I thought I played well," Garrison said. "A lot of players don't like grass. They just prefer not to be on it. You either love it or hate it, and I love it. I'll go anywhere to play on it."

Garrison won the first nine games, helped by five double faults from her opponent.

McEnroe wins opener

ROSMALEN, Netherlands -- John McEnroe won his opening-round match in the Rosmalen grass-court tournament, serving up eight aces to trounce Peter Lundgren of Sweden 6-2, 6-3. McEnroe is seeded fifth in this warmup for Wimbledon.

Top seed Michael Stich defeated Austrian Carl Limberger 6-3, 6-4.

No. 2 seed Richard Krajicek of the Netherlands led Russian Andrei Olhovskey 6-4, 5-4 when the match was suspended by rain.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #504

Sampras fans seeing double
The Patriot-News
Harrisburg, PA
Wednesday, June 10, 1992
AP

BIRMINGHAM, England - The name Sampras is certain to attract attention wherever tennis is played.

Stella Sampras knows that she gets more than the usual attention because she is the sister of Pete Sampras, a prominent member of the men's tour and 1990 U.S. Open champion.

Stella, 23, joined the pro tour last September after graduating from UCLA, and is ranked 308th.

Stella Sampras won two matches in the qualifying rounds in the grass court tournament at Edgbaston to reach the main draw, and yesterday she defeated Ann de Vries of Belgium, 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 6-4 in the first round.

"I like grass a lot," Sampras said. "It suits my game. I have a pretty big serve and I like going up to the net and volleying."

In fact, apart from a two-handed backhand, the right-handed Stella looks a lot like her brother on court: tall and slim with dark, curly hair.

Similarities are to be expected. Pete gives his sister advice, like telling her to turn pro.

Sampras had no thought of doing that until she reached her senior year at college, when her brother's results and urging persuaded her to try.

"His success encouraged me to give it a go," she said. "Watching him do well inspired me."

Now they keep in contact, each checking on how the other is doing.

Pete, in London for the men's Queen's Club event, beamed when told of his sister's victory.

"That's great," he said.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #505

Determined Durie holds her nerve - Tennis
The Times
London, England
Thursday, June 11, 1992
Barry Wood

JO DURIE reached the third round of the Dow Classic tennis tournament at Edgbaston yesterday by defeating Betsy Nagelsen, 6-3, 6-4. Perhaps the most impressive aspect of Durie's performance was the manner in which she handled the pressure. In the first set, having won the opening 12 points of the match and leading 3-1, she found herself 40-0 down on her service.

Yet she prevented Nagelsen from breaking back and then, at 4-1 in the second set, she saved two more break points with a couple of superb services, one an ace.

After netting a forehand at match point in the next game, the British No.1 then found herself involved in a struggle to end the match. Nagelsen held her service, broke Durie, held again for 5-4 and then led 30-0 on Durie's service.

But where once she would have tightened up and her game would have collapsed, Durie held her nerve and recovered to claim victory.

With no outstanding favourite, although the top seed, Zina Garrison, is a former Wimbledon finalist, Durie was asked whether she had a chance of becoming the first British player to take the title. "It's quite open, but I don't know whether I can win it," she said. "On the day, I'd have a good chance against anybody on this surface, especially if my service is going well. But it's a question of consistency." Amanda Grunfeld could make little headway against Gigi Fernandez, the No.3 seed, losing 6-1, 6-2.

RESULTS: Second round: J Durie (GB) bt B Nagelsen (US), 6-3, 6-4; J Byrne (Aus) bt M de Swardt (SA), 6-4, 6-4; R Stubbs (Aus) bt J Santrock (US), 6-3, 6-4; P Shriver (US) bt L Allen (US), 6-4, 6-2; K Po (US) bt S Sampras (US), 6-0, 3-6, 6-1; A Temesvari (Hun) bt N Endo (Japan), 2-6, 6-4, 8-6; B Shultz (Hol) bt K Radford (Aus), 7-5, 4-6,

11-9; L Savchenko (Latvia) bt J Richardson (NZ), 7-6, 6-1; N Zvereva (CIS) bt N Guerree (Fr), 6-2, 6-1; G Fernandez (US) bt A Grunfeld (GB), 6-1, 6-2; M Jaggard-Lai (Aus) bt T Whittingon (US), 6-0, 6-1.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #506

Durie extends victory run - Tennis
The Times
London, England
Friday, June 12, 1992
Barry Wood

JO DURIE extended her extraordinary run of success yesterday by defeating Nathalie Tauziat, the No.2 seed, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 to reach the quarter-finals of the Dow Classic at Edgbaston.

With the exception of Martina Navratilova, Durie, aged 31, is the oldest player in the top 50, but she is increasingly defying the years. Free of the nagging injuries that long hindered her ambitions, the British No.1 has produced some exceptional victories over the past two years.

Yesterday, her win over Tauziat, the world No.14, was as well-earned as her other victories. She remained composed when under pressure, overcame the considerable handicap of not being able to serve particularly well and produced some superb shots at crucial stages.

RESULTS: Third round: J Durie (GB) bt N Tauziat (Fr), 5-7, 6-3, 6-4; L McNeil (US) bt K Po (US), 6-4, 6-3; J Byrne (Aus) bt Y Bazuki (Indo), 6-2, 4-6, 7-5; B Schultz (Holl) bt R Stubbs (Aus), 6-2, 4-6, 7-5; A Temesvari (Hun) bt N Zvereva (Russ), 1-6, 7-6, 6-4; L Savchenko-Neiland (Lat) bt G Fernandez (US), 6-4, 6-4; Z Garrison (US) bt S Siddall (GB), 6-3, 6-3; P Shriver (US) bt M Jaggard-Lai (Aus), 6-4, 6-1.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #507

Must have been like "Blast From the Past" day in 1992, with Durie vs. Temesvari...

Durie continues her impressive build-up - Tennis
The Times
London, England
Saturday, June 13, 1992
Barry Wood

JO DURIE'S confidence on the eve of Wimbledon was boosted yet again yesterday when she defeated Andrea Temesvari 6-3, 6-2 to reach the semi-finals of the Dow Classic at Edgbaston.

The 53-minute match was easily her most comfortable of the week and there were no difficult moments for the British No.1.

The first set was settled on a single break of serve, for 4-2, and then Durie ended any hopes her Hungarian opponent had by swiftly taking a 4-0 lead in the second.

"I don't think Andrea played very well," Durie said. "But I served a bit better and hit a few good passes. It was just a very competent match. I'm feeling quite good about myself at the moment, and have never felt better equipped for Wimbledon."

Her semi-final opponent is Jenny Byrne, who defeated Lori McNeil, the fourth seed, 6-2, 6-4. Having lost her world ranking during an 18-month injury break, she has climbed back to 114th.

Zina Garrison, the top seed, was beaten 7-5, 6-3 by Pam Shriver, who plays Brenda Schultz, a 7-6, 7-6 winner over Larisa Savchenko-Neiland.

RESULTS: Quarter-finals: J Durie (Avon) bt A Temesvari (Hun), 6-3, 6-2; P Shriver (US) bt Z Garrison (US), 7-5, 6-3; J Byrne (Aus) bt L McNeil (US), 6-2, 6-4; B Schultz (Holl) bt L Savchenko-Neiland (Lat), 7-6, 7-6.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #508

And Garrison vs. Shriver wasn't exactly a match between two spring-heeled teenagers, either...

TENNIS
The Denver Post
Saturday, June 13, 1992
Denver Post Wire Services

Sampras jolted by Gilbert

Second-seeded Pete Sampras was upset by Brad Gilbert 6-3, 6-4 yesterday in the quarterfinals of the Queen's Club tennis tournament in London.

"I got off to a bit of a slow start, and he played just as well as he could," Sampras said. "My return of serve let me down, but that's the way it is on grass. I couldn't get into it."

Top-seeded Stefan Edberg came within three points of losing, but rebounded to beat Pat Cash 6-7 (7-9), 7-6 (7-4), 6-3. In the other quarterfinals, Shuzo Matsuokoa defeated Guillaume Roaux 6-4, 3-6, 9-7, and Wayne Ferreira downed Jason Stoltenberg 6-4, 6-2.

EDGBASTON: Pam Shriver defeated top-seeded Zina Garrison 7-5, 6-3 in the quarterfinals of the women's grass-court tournament in Birmingham, England.

"She served much better than I did, so naturally the score turned out the way it did," said Garrison, who won the tournament in 1990.

"There seems to be like a twilight second wind here," said Shriver, the Edgbaston champion from 1984-87 who has not reached a final for three years.

The victory put Shriver in the semifinals against Brenda Schultz, a 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (8-6) winner over Larisa Savchenko-Neiland. The other semifinal will match Jenny Byrne, who defeated Lori McNeil 6-2, 6-4, against Jo Durie, who beat Andrea Temesvari 6-3, 6-2.

CONTINENTAL GRASS COURT: John McEnroe advanced to a semifinal match with Michael Stich by beating Alexander Volkov 6-4, 6-3 in Rosmalen, Netherlands.

Stich, the No. 1 seed and defending Wimbledon champion, beat Richey Reneberg 6-2, 6-3.

No. 2 seed Richard Krajicek was upset by fellow Dutchman Michiel Schapers 6-4, 6-2, and American Jon Stark outlasted Henrik Holm of Sweden 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 6-3.

CITY OF FLORENCE: Top-seeded Thomas Muster, No. 3 Magnus Gustafsson and unseeded players Renzo Furlan of Italy and Marcelo Filippini of Uruguay advanced to the semifinals in Italy.

BECKER SUES SPONSOR: Boris Becker has sued Sportstech Industries Inc., a racket wholesaler in Redmond, Wash., claiming the company failed to pay him $1 million in royalties and didn't maintain a $500,000 credit line for him.

The suit, filed in U.S. district court in Seattle, also charged that Sportstech didn't give Becker 650 tennis rackets it had promised.

Sportstech president Jackson Tse said Becker's charges were "totally without merit" and that the company has filed a countersuit in a European court that seeks more than $2 million from Becker.

Tse claimed Becker didn't promote Sportstech's "EstUSA" and "US Tech" rackets by using them in tournaments, per a 1989 sponsorship agreement.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #509

Durie's run of success rudely interrupted by Byrne - Tennis
The Sunday Times
London, England
Sunday, June 14, 1992
Nick Pitt reports from Edgbaston

WHAT shocked the locals was not Jo Durie's abrupt and predictable defeat after a mini-revival, but the rudeness of a spectator who told her: "That was pathetic and I paid good money for it!"

Accurate or not (it was), that is not done at ladies' tennis at Edgbaston, a leafy suburb of Birmingham, on a gentle summer's day.

At first Durie, who lost 6-3 6-1 to Jenny Byrne of Australia, seemed stunned by the comment, but she recovered sufficiently to respond, asking the man what he did for a living. "He was just a prat, a moron," she said later. "He obviously knows nothing about tennis."

But perhaps he does. Durie's week has been a microcosm of her long career: much promised, little fulfilled. As she admitted herself: "I was in there for a while. But in the end I just fell apart."

How easily is the story told. Durie enjoyed an early break of service and surrendered it. Nevertheless, at three games each in the first set she seemed well placed. Thereafter, she won one game and precious few points. From one end, a stream of winners; from the other, errors. It took about an hour.

In mitigation it must be said that Durie lost to a fine and improving player. Byrne, who has so far beaten four seeds in this tournament and should be considered a firm favourite when she meets the big-serving Brenda Schultz in today's final, is a chunky, no-nonsense sort, with all the parts of a good game and a particularly fine backhand.

More noticeable than her game, though, was her attitude. As bouncy and determined as her coach, Paul McNamee, used to be, she zipped where Durie plodded. She has recently overcome ankle and wrist injuries which have kept her out of the game for 18 months, and which led to a fall in the rankings from 45 to nowhere. After a couple of wins in satellite tournaments, she is back to a ranking of 114 which, like many rankings, gives no idea whatsoever of her real capability. Byrne, who was brought up on grass courts in Perth, Western Australia, will be a threat to everybody at Eastbourne and Wimbledon.

The same cannot be said for Durie, who plays Zina Garrison in the first round at Eastbourne. Not everyone can be a champion, but Durie had the talent, if not the resolution, to go much further than she did. When she first came to notice, as a 14-year-old in 1974, Dan Maskell remarked that "she has all the equipment of Christine Truman at that age and, above all, a much better backhand".

She also had a much better backhand than Sue Barker, but Barker's forehand was good enough to win the French Open. Alas, the missing bits, mostly mental, have denied Durie such laurels. At least in the sunset of her career she remains determined to have a little fun. "I enjoyed the match today," she said, "even though she beat me up."

Equally genteel, though much more disappointed in defeat, was Pam Shriver, who lost a battle of the amazons against Schultz, 6-3 7-6. Both players are over six feet (as is Durie, which made the chunky Byrne the smallest semi-finalist by a foot) and both lean heavily on service.

Shriver showed her manners during the first set when Big Brenda stormed towards the net, wound up an enormous forehand, and thwacked it straight at Mighty Pam, holing her amidships. Pam gasped, Brenda apologised and Pam just said "Good shot!" without a trace of sarcasm.

Schultz, who acquitted herself well at Wimbledon last year, has the fastest service in women's tennis, timed at over 120mph. She has added a decent volley, which makes her a much more dangerous player. "I used to try to serve aces because I was frightened of having to volley," she said. But no longer. With a mixture of fast and judiciously placed serves accompanied by fine volleys (she stretches well for such a big woman) she was rarely in danger on her own delivery. Shriver, for all her experience, and for all the clever chipped returns she learned while winning everything at doubles with Navratilova, never broke service.

It was not, though, a spectacle. With the serve so dominant, the tennis was as limited as that expected from men on grass. Schultz won the first set with a single break of service, and the second in a tie-break.

Her victory was helped by Shriver's surprising failure to play the important points with conviction. Today, one suspects, she will find Byrne a much tougher opponent.

But whatever conclusions might be drawn from Edgbaston in determining fortunes at Wimbledon in just over a week, it should be remembered that no member of the world's top 10 entered. If they had, events would doubtless have been very different, for the difference between the very best women and the rest is chalk and cheese.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #510

Schultz boosts confidence - Tennis
The Times
London, England
Monday, June 15, 1992
Barry Wood

BRENDA Schultz defeated Jenny Byrne 6-2, 6-2 yesterday in the final of the Dow Classic at Edgbaston, to claim the winner's cheque of $27,000 (about Pounds 14,600) and the second title of her career.

The match, which lasted 54 minutes, was a disappointing affair. Byrne's game was flat and she failed to produce much evidence of the stinging backhands that had overwhelmed Jo Durie so decisively (6-3, 6-1) in the semi-finals on Saturday.

However, Schultz, aged 21, who had to save a match point in the second round, fully deserved her victory.

Her service often allowed Byrne little chance of making a constructive return, and her volleys found their mark almost without exception.

"I knew my serve was going well and my volley was good, and I started with a lot of confidence," Schultz said. "I really fancy my chances at Wimbledon. I think I can beat anyone."

Byrne's service was her greatest liability, and was largely responsible for her conceding the first set. She double faulted on break point to trail 1-2 and 1-4. Her delivery settled down in the second set, but her third double fault gave Schultz a break point to lead 3-2, and the Australian followed that with a netted forehand.

"I felt a little bit tired after playing so many matches this week, but she didn't give me a chance to settle in," Byrne said. She acknowledged that the Dutch girl's service had played a significant role. "She's always capable of getting out of tricky situations with a big serve, and she proved that several times," she said. Schultz is coached by Juan Nunez, who previously coached her friend, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario.

RESULTS: Singles: Semi-finals: B Schultz (Holl) bt P Shriver (US), 6-4, 7-6; J Byrne (Aus) bt J Durie (GB), 6-3, 6-1. Final: Byrne bt Schultz, 6-1, 6-2. Doubles: Final: L McNeil (US) and R Stubbs (Aus) bt S Collins (US) and E Reinach (SA), 5-7, 6-3, 8-6.