1992 - Page 27 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #391
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

STELLA PERFORMANCE BY SAMPRAS' SISTER - TUESDAY'S QUALIFYING - WOMEN - TODAY'S PAIRINGS (PLAY BEGINS AT 9 A.M.)
Sun-Sentinel
Wednesday, March 11, 1992
JIM SARNI

KEY BISCAYNE -- Stella Sampras did something at Lipton Tuesday that her famous brother Pete couldn't do last year.

Win.

Stella defeated Christina Papadaki of Greece 6-7 (7-5), 6-4, 6-3 in the first round of qualifying.

Little brother got a rude ouster from Rodolphe Gilbert in his first match last year.

''Pete wasn't very happy after that match,'' Stella said.

The newest pro from the Sampras family was thrilled after winning her Lipton debut. Stella, who turned 23 Monday, turned pro in September after graduating from UCLA.

''Playing Lipton is a big opportunity for me,'' said Sampras, who received a wild card into qualifying. ''I get to play higher-ranked players. I was really nervous. I was behind love-three, but I hung in there. I knew that if I could get more balls back, I could win.''

Sampras won going away, taking the final four games.

Like brother, like sister, Stella plays the same aggressive serve-and-volley game that propelled 20-year-old Pete to a U.S. Open championship in 1990, and a No. 3 ranking last month (Sampras is now No. 4).

''Pete and I worked out all the time, growing up,'' Stella said. ''I've developed my serve and good volleys. I love watching Pete play, and I've tried to copy him. I want to play just like him.''

While Pete quit high school to hit the pro tour, Stella went off to college near the family's Palos Verdes, Calif., home. At UCLA, Stella excelled at doubles, winning the NCAA title with Alison Cooper as a freshman and reaching the final with Kim Poe as a senior last year.

''I wasn't planning to turn pro after college,'' said Sampras, who played No. 3 singles last year. ''But Pete offered to sponsor me, so I took advantage of that.''

Pete may have a prospect in his sister. Stella won two $10,000 tournaments in Texas (San Antonio and Mission) this winter. She is up to No. 319 on the computer after breaking in at No. 550.

''I'm happy with my progress. I've been able to concentrate on tennis without homework,'' said Stella, who majored in psychology. ''In college, there are so many players on the team that is hard to get the attention you need. My goals are to reach the Top 100 and play the big tournaments.''

Stella spent the past week in Sarasota, where Pete lives, hitting with her brother and his coach, Tim Gullikson.

''Pete and I have gotten closer in the last year,'' said Stella, who has an older brother and younger sister who are not involved in tennis. ''When I was at college and Pete was on the road, it was hard to stay in touch.''

To join Pete in the main draw, Stella must win two more qualifying matches, beginning with second-seeded Nathalie Herreman, the tricky left-hander who ousted Jennifer Capriati here two years ago.

-- Ivan Baron of Plantation lost to Johan Anderson 6-2, 6-4 in his first- round qualifying match... Carling Bassett-Seguso of Boca Raton plays Claudine Toleafoa, Luanne Spadea of Boca Raton meets Tammy Whittington of Plantation, and George Bezecny of Boca Raton takes on Stephane Simian in second-round matches today.

-- Less than 1,000 tickets remain for Saturday's and Sunday's sessions, less than 600 tickets are left for Monday. Lipton will issue $12 grounds passes after sellouts again this year.

-- Men

Chris Pridham d. Pablo Albano 6-3, 6-2; Richard Schmidt d. Charlton Eagle 7-6 (3), 6-3; Bernd Karbacher d. Maurice Ruah 6-2, 6-3; Miquel Merz d. Steven Brett 4-6, 6-3, 6-1; Marcos Qndruska d. Greg Failla 6-3, 6-0; Paolo Pambianco d. Mario Rincon 6-2, 6-2; Joan Albert Viloca d. Mauricio Hadad 6-4, 6-4; Felipe Rivera d. Kenny Thorne 5-7, 6-4, 6-2; Buff Farrow d. Bret Garnett 6-4, 4-6, 6-3; Scott Davis d. Mark Keil 6-1, 7-6; Sergio Casal d. Nelson Aerts 6-3, 6-1; Nicola Bruno d. Cyril Suk 6-1, 1-6, 6-3; Nicholas Pereira d. Andrei Medvedev 6-4, 6-3; Carsten Arriens d. Keith Evans 6-4, 3-6, 6-4; Brian Garrow d. Jose Daher 7-5, 6-1; Libor Nemecek d. David MacPherson 7-6(5), 6-2; Simon Youl d. Kent Kinnear 6-3, 6-1; Ramesh Krishnan d. Frank Dennhardt 6-1, 6-2; Francisco Montana d. Florian Krumrey 6-2, 6-5; John Sobel d. Otis Smith 6-7(6), 6-4, 6-3; Glenn Michibata d. Thomas Nydahl 6-1, 4-2 (ret.); Dave Randell d. Jeroma Becka 4-6, 6-2, 6-2; Johan Anderson d. Ivan Baron 6-2, 6-4; Mark Kratzmann d. Harald Rittersbacher 6-3, 7-6 (6); Steve Devries d. Roberto Saad 6-4, 6-3.

Nicole Hummel d. Elena Pampoulova-Wagner 7-6 (4), 6-2; Emilie Viqueira d. Luciana Corsato 7-5, 6-0; Kristy Boogert d. Nathalie Baudone 6-2, 3-6, 6-2; Pat O'Reilly d. Sandy Collins 6-4, 6-1; Nathalie Herreman d. Elena Likhovtseya 6-0, 6-1; Hiromi Nagano d. Andrea Leand 6-1, 6-4; Tatiana Ignatieva d. Agnes Zugasti 7-5, 6-1; Angelica Galvadon d. Gima Aurora 6-2, 7-6 (7); Jill Hetherington d. Nathalie Guerree 6-3, 6-4; Caroline Kuhlman d. Sophie Amiach 6-4, 6-1; Stella Sampras d. Christina Papadaki 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-3; Pascale Etchemendy d. Beverly Bowes 2-6, 6-4, 6-4; Wendy White-Prausa d. Suzanne Italiano 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2; Jessica Emmons d. Anoushka Popp 2-6, 6-3, 6-4; Camille Benjamin d. Lubomira Bacheva 7-5, 6-2.

Court 1: Jim Brown vs. Paul Annacone; Chris Garner vs. Jared Palmer; Kataryna Nowak vs. Rachel Jensen; Winner of Youl/Kinnear vs. Winner of RitterBacher/ Kratzmann; Stella Sampres vs. Nathalie Herremann.

Court 2: Johan Donar vs. Martin Wostenholme; Robbie Wiess vs. Carl Limberger; Claudine Toleafoa vs. Carling Bassett-Seguso; Ramesh Krishnan vs. winner of Baron/Anderson; Kristi Boogert vs. Pat O'Reilly.

Court 3: Marius Barnard vs. Ryan Blake; Neil Borwick vs. Daniel Nestor; Tammy Whittington vs. Luanne Spadea; Scott Davis vs. John Sobel; Petra Kamstra vs. Caroline Kuhlman.

Court 4: Todd Nelson vs. Jonathan Stark; Bertrand Madsen vs. Grant Stafford; Cammy MacGregor vs. Maureen Drake; Sergio Casal vs. Nicola Bruno; Pascale Etchemendy vs. Wendy White-Prausa.

Court 5: Martin Laurendeau vs. Martin Blackman; Chris Pridham vs. Richard Schmidt; Louise Allen vs. Kyoko Nagatsuka; Nicolas Pereira vs. Carsten Arriens; Winner of Bacheva/Benjamin vs. Jill Hetherington.

Court 6: Tommy Ho vs. Fernando Meligeni; Bernd Karbacher vs. Miguel Merz; Viktoria Milvidskaia vs. Cristina Salvi; Brian Garrow vs. Libor Nemecek; Jessica Emmons vs. Angelika Gavaldon.

Court 7: Steve Bryan vs. Buff Farrow; Marcos Ondruska vs. Paolo Pambianco; Jolene Watanabe vs. Tamaka Takagi; Francisco Montana vs. Glenn Michibata; Hiromi Nagano vs. Tatiana Ignatieva.

Court 8: George Bezecny vs. Stephane Simian; Joan Albert Viloca vs. Felipe Rivera; Monique Keine vs. Wiltrud Probst; Winner of Becka/Randall vs. winner of Devries/Sadd; Nicole Hummel vs. Emillie Viqueira.
Ms. Anthropic is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #392

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

TOP-RANKED SELES KEEPS PERSPECTIVE, IS ONE FOR THE FUN
The Palm Beach Post
Wednesday, March 11, 1992
PATRICK McMANAMON

Monica Seles doesn't think she's unbeatable.

But there isn't a player on the women's-- or men's-- professional tennis tour who is as close to that level.

Seles has reached the finals a record 21 consecutive tournaments (dating to Oct. 3, 1990), won the last four Grand Slams she's played, and not lost a match since November.

Yet she doesn't want to allow herself to think she can't be beaten.

"I never felt that even in juniors, even when I had a three-year winning streak," Seles said. "I'm just not that type of person."

Yet perfection is her goal.

"My goal is to go one year and not lose a match," Seles said. "I know that's probably impossible, but . . . "

Her competitors might disagree.

"I'm not going to say anything about how to beat Monica," Mary Joe Fernandez said, "because every time I play her she beats me."

For Seles, the Lipton International Players Championships, which starts Friday at the International Tennis Center on Key Biscayne, is where her ascent started.

Two years ago, Seles won Lipton, which was the end of a slow start to the year and the beginning of a six-tournament winning streak. Since, Seles has steamrolled through the Kraft Tour, winning 22 titles. In her career, Seles has won 23 of the 46 tournaments she has entered.

Seles has reached a level by herself, attacking the No. 1 ranking the same way she attacks on the court. Steffi Graf, who won the Virginia Slims of Florida last week and who has not lost to Seles in two years, is her closest challenger.

If Seles reaches the finals at Lipton, she will surpass the record she shares with Graf. But Seles doesn't want to think about it.

"I don't want to put extra pressure on myself in worrying if I don't make it," Seles said.

Unlike others who have reached the top, Seles, 18, seems to have avoided pressure since she became No. 1 at last year's Lipton .

"For me it's not the biggest thing to be number one," Seles said. "I had always said if I did, it would be when I was 22 or 23, but it happened so soon last year. It was so unexpected. I told myself it's a great thing, that few athletes get to be No. 1, but it's not the biggest thing. I'm still only two years in tennis and I hope I have many years ahead of me."

Seles is a walking contradiction. She wants perfection but doesn't want to think about the top ranking. She says she doesn't want publicity, yet seems to court it. At times Seles seems to have fun just tweaking the world's nose about her off-court exploits.

The most glaring example came last summer, when she missed Wimbledon because of shin splints. While reporters searched and speculated, Seles stayed in hiding. When she reappeared at an exhibition at Mahwah, N.J., she emerged from a limousine wearing a disguise. Just for fun.

Though she's not likely to gain much sympathy from fans envious of her millions in earnings, Seles said that some of the speculation about her Wimbledon exploits bothered her.

"Like when people said that my mom had cancer, and that I was pregnant," Seles said. "These things hurt. People don't realize that when you read about yourself and other people read it, it hurts. It really hurts."

Seles has redone her look (for a bundle of money), been called a Madonna-wannabe (not true, she said) and been criticized by her colleagues. Pam Shriver wrote an article for Tennis magazine last year saying the No. 1 player must do more than win matches, and Martina Navratilova, in a recent Tennis interview, said Seles "loves the spotlight, and she's trying to do anything and everything she can to get it, one way or the other."

Not so, said Seles, who doesn't even believe Navratilova made the statement.

"Even if she had said that," Seles said, "I don't think (it's true). So many players get much more publicity than I did. For better reasons, and for worse reasons."

Seles seems to understand that because she's No. 1, worldwide publicity will follow. She's 18, with an adult hairdo and some grown-up aspirations (such as acting) and actions-- she was the only top player to attend the funeral of longtime women's tennis booster Ted Tinling.

But she also seems keenly intent on staying young, keeping a large collection of stuffed animals and dolls and saying that she's pondered becoming a lawyer, clothes designer and/or an actress after her tennis career ends.

"Everybody forgets the age we are," Seles said. "I'm only 18."
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #393

TENNIS: When There's a Burden Beyond the Lines; With Stakes High, So Is the Pressure Often Brought by Tennis Dads
ROBIN FINN
March 11, 1992
New York Times

Lately, as the stars of women's tennis get younger and million-dollar bank accounts pre-empt the more traditional rites of adolescent passage like the diploma and driver's license, the tennis dad has become the most un-invisible, and in some cases most unsympathetic, figure on this grand scene.

Like the ubiquitous stage mother, he is always there, a full-time drill sergeant on the homefront and a general waiting prominently in the wings at show time. He props the child star up for every command performance, decides how many performances there will be, and because managing a sports prodigy's career is a salaried position, reaps revenues along with all that paternal glory.

He usually thinks of himself as a sculptor of raw talent, a visionary wearing tennis shorts and a coach's whistle, his child's most ardent fan and her surest ticket to success and security. But he's often seen as an egoist, an opportunist or, at worst, a menace to his daughter's development.

"Maybe they should let coaches do the coaching and just concentrate on being a parent," said Chris Evert on the touchy subject of tennis dads. "I'm glad I came up when I did. Tenniswise I felt pushed, but I also felt protected. But we were lucky that nobody was really tempting us with million-dollar endorsement deals. The money now is the key. When you come from a middle-class background, I think it's got to be very hard to turn that kind of money down and very easy to justify taking it for your child because of the financial security it represents. I wouldn't want to be a tennis dad these days."

Jimmy Evert, the granddaddy of the species and mild in comparision to the zealots on the Kraft Tour these days, instilled his daughter with a competitive spirit so cold-blooded that by the time she turned 19, she declared her independence from him. But because he was wise enough to let her go, Evert has said in retrospect, she never stopped listening to his advice.

For the next generation of tennis stars, the stakes have been higher, the transitions have not come as smoothly, the careers threaten to be shorter, and the glare of publicity has been unsparing. Just ask 15-year-old Jennifer Capriati. Rift in Capriati Family?

When the Lipton International Players Championships get under way at Key Biscayne, Fla., on Friday, all binoculars will be trained on Capriati, who, according to an unsubsantiated report last month in a national tabloid, has declared war against her father, Stefano, her new coach, Pavel Slozil, and tennis, the sport she is supposed to love. Will she be playing Lipton voluntarily?

Capriati, still searching for a truce between her professional success, which has made hers a household name, and her private life, where her personal identity is still in the discovery stages, says she will.

"Everyone likes you when you win, but when you lose, they have to think up things that aren't true," said Capriati in a recent telephone interview. "Just because I take five weeks off to concentrate on school, that means I'm burned out? Get real. Let's say that some day I decided I do hate tennis and I want to quit; well, then I'm going to need my school. And if I like being at home with my friends and getting away from the tennis, what's so wrong with that?"

"They say my dad just thinks I'm a money-making machine," she said. "I wonder how they'd like it if someone wrote something hurtful like that about their family? And aren't they writing those things about me to make money? Everyone thinks I have it so great, and that this is such an easy life, but that's not true either. Besides dealing with tennis, I'm dealing with all this adolescence stuff. I have my ups and downs just like anybody else. It's normal. And most of it is nobody's business but mine." An Overseas Squabble

Capriati turned professional at 13, won her first event at 14, bubbled through to the semifinals of her first Grand Slam tournament, had nightmares after a semifinal loss at the 1991 United States Open, and cried after bowing to Gabriela Sabatini in the 1992 Australian Open quarterfinals. Mad at herself for losing, and annoyed that her schedule took her next to Tokyo instead of Florida, Capriati played poorly in Japan, squabbled with her father, pulled out of an exhbition, packed away her racquets and flew to her home and schoolmates.

Stefano Capriati, hitherto omnipresent at his daughter's coaching and training sessions, got the message.

"She didn't say to me that she hates me or her coach, and she didn't say she hates tennis," he said, "but in Australia she was trying to win a tournament and trying to work four hours a day with a tutor, and yes, she had moments where she was not a happy camper. It was a mistake for us to go to Tokyo.

But whose job is it to remind Jennifer Capriati that her tennis is important too?

"You can't take an athlete who's 13 or 14 and have them become a champion without pushing them," said Bob Kain, Chris Evert's agent at the International Management Group, who went to Florida two weeks ago to help the Capriati family sort out their priorities. "But what's unfortunate is this combination that's inevitable: the kids getting so good so young, the fathers who devote their time if not their career to helping the player focus, which puts pressure on the teen-aged girl, subconsciously or consciously, and then there's the added element of the money, which makes it all that much more scary."

The list of tennis fathers is long. Peter Graf rarely left daughter Steffi's side during her teen-aged climb to No. 1 and was often accused of trying to run her life. He is no longer her constant companion on the tour, and she is, at 22, starting to call her own shots on all fronts.

Insiders contend that Roland Jaeger, whose daughter Andrea's swift ascent was matched only by her descent, not only ran but derailed her professional life with a force-fed diet of tennis. Andrea, retired and resentful, is embroiled in a lawsuit against I.M.G., her former agent, and is writing her autobiography, a tome that may, say the cynics, be the "Daddy Dearest" of its day.

Karoly Seles, the man who blows kisses to the crowd every time his daughter wins another tournament, invented the strokes that propelled Monica to No. 1 in the world and has convinced her that he's the only coach she needs: the Seles family apparently revels in self-containment.

"We can separate the family from the tennis, and though I can't speak for the future, for now I think there is less pressure on me having my dad for my coach," insisted Monica Seles. "But I can't say that for all fathers: in juniors I've seen fathers hit their daughters for losing a match."

The biggest problem, everyone agrees, is money.

"You've got a parent or parents who formerly worked and whose ego is now subsumed within the talent of the child who, at 16 or 17, now feels responsible for supporting her family," said Phil DiPicciotto, Graf's agent at Advantage International.

"Winning, which starts out being the joy of tennis, becomes a vehicle for cashing in. One has to give people the benefit of the doubt that they won't be corruptible.

When it comes to tennis dads, it may be a simple impossibility for father, or anyone, to know best.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #394

LIPTON DRAW IS STEEPED IN TROUBLE FOR COURIER - LOOKING AHEAD - MEN - WOMEN
Sun-Sentinel
Thursday, March 12, 1992
JIM SARNI

KEY BISCAYNE -- Excuse Jim Courier if he chokes on his Lipton tea.

The defending champion, who will be trying to keep his No. 1 ranking at this year's tournament, was matched with nemesis Andrei Chesnokov in a possible fourth-round collision as the Lipton draw was made Wednesday.

Chesnokov is 5-0 against Courier, his most recent victory at Indian Wells last week. That defeat cost Courier points as he tries to hold off Stefan Edberg for the top ranking. Chesnokov beat three of the Top 10 before losing the Indian Wells final to Michael Chang.

The Courier-Chesnokov summit is one of several possible confrontations in the draw:

-- Pete Sampras (4) vs. Jimmy Connors (30) in the third round: The former U.S. Open champions have never played.

-- John McEnroe (28) vs. Goran Ivanisevic (5) in the third round: Ivanisevic, the strongest server on the tour, has beaten McEnroe in their last three matches.

-- Boris Becker vs. Jan Siemerink in the second round: Becker has never played well at Lipton , and Siemerink defeated him last month in Stuttgart.

-- Andre Agassi (11) vs. Richard Krajicek (22) in the third round: Rematch of Agassi victory at Wimbledon.

-- Edberg (2) vs. Jakob Hlasek (17) in the round of 16: Rematch of Edberg's controversial tiebreaker win two years ago, if Hlasek beats Brad Gilbert (16).

-- Chang (6) vs. David Wheaton (12) in the round of 16: Wheaton, a Lipton finalist last year, is 2-1 against Chang.

On the women's side, the major excitement in the draw was the possibility of another Monica Seles-Jennifer Capriati duel in the quarterfinals. Seles outlasted Capriati in three tense sets last year. Seles also won their semifinal battle at the U.S. Open, and Capriati vowed not to forget it.

Second-seeded Steffi Graf, the Virginia Slims of Florida champion, and third- seeded Gabriela Sabatini are in the same half of the draw. Seles and fourth-seeded Arantxa Sanchez Vicario are in the top half.

If the seeds hold, Courier will oppose Sampras, and Edberg will meet Becker.

All 32 men's and women's seeds have byes in the 96-player fields and play second-round matches Saturday and Sunday.

Lipton opens Friday without the stars, but with some good matches: Sandon Stolle vs. Brian Dunn (the winner plays John McEnroe); Patrick McEnroe vs. Stefano Pescosolido; Wally Masur vs. Leo Lavalle; Stephanie Rehe vs. Sara Gomer; Shaun Stafford vs. Meredith McGrath; Raffaella Reggi vs. Peanut Harper.

-- Carling Bassett-Seguso plays Kataryna Nowak today for a qualifying berth. Bassett defeated Claudine Toleafoa 6-1, 7-5 Wednesday for her second victory in her two-week comeback. Nowak, from Poland, is the No.1 seed in qualifying.

George Bezecny of Boca Raton and Tammy Whittington of Plantation are also one victory away from the main draw. Bezecny beat Stephane Simian 6-4, 7-6 (7-5), and Whittington stopped Luanne Spadea of Boca Raton 6-2, 6-2.

Stella Sampras was eliminated by second-seeded Nathalie Herreman 6-3, 6-3.

How the top 16 Lipton seeds fall:

(1) Courier-Chesnokov (15)

(7) Korda-Bruguera (9)

(4) Sampras-Rostagno (14)

(6) Chang-Wheaton (12)

(5) Ivanisevic-Agassi (11)

(3) Becker-Gustafsson (13)

(8) Sanchez-Novacek (10)

(2) Edberg-Gilbert (16)

(1) Seles-Wiesner (11)

(5) Capriati-Garrison (9)

(4) Sanchez-McNeil (13)

(7) Meskhi-Gildemeister (15)

(8) Tauziat-Frazier (14)

(3) Sabatini-Pierce (10)

(6) M.J. Fernandez-G. Fernandez (12)

(2) Graf-Date (16)
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #395

Women's qualifying results at the end.

CONNORS PERFORMS ALL-OUT EVEN WITHOUT THE CHEERS
The Miami Herald
Friday, March 13, 1992
AMY NIEDZIELKA

The stadium was practically empty, with perhaps 60 people dotting the stands of stadium court at the International Tennis Center on Key Biscayne. There were no cries of "Jimbo," no raucous ovations, just an occasional titter of applause.

But Jimmy Connors was on the court practicing his heart out.

Connors, who will play in the Lipton International Players Championships beginning today, was lunging for backhands that spun him halfway around, rushing the net, launching forehands with both feet in the air, grunting, yelling at himself, crunching overheads.

He showed annoyance almost every time he missed a shot.

"C'mon, don't miss 'em," he said in disgust after hitting a backhand into the net.

"Everything got up there but my legs," he said, grimacing after a missed overhead.

Connors' intensity dominated the workout, but his showmanship made its appearance. For lack of a big crowd at Thursday's afternoon practice session, Connors, 39, wasn't quite as conversant with the spectators as usual, but he saved words for a few. He jogged up to a stadium worker in the corner of the stands after failing to chase down a wide ball.

"I'm too old for this," Connors said, smiling.

A fan asked him how he was doing as he signed an autograph after the practice. "I'm still walking," Connors said. "That's a start."

He was only kidding, of course. Connors, the ATP's 1991 comeback player of the year, doesn't think he's too old for any of this. After last year, when he jumped from No. 990 in the world to No. 48 with third-round finishes at the French Open and Wimbledon and a semifinal finish at the U.S. Open, he is ready to do it all again.

"The whole year, everything that happened was pretty darn good," he said. "Starting with the French, all the way through, it was pretty amazing. That's what it's all about."

Making his fifth appearance at the Lipton , Connors doesn't just want to play well. He said he expects to win.

"Why not?" he said. "I'm not coming here for my health, that's for sure."

It was his health -- he had reconstructive surgery on his left wrist late in 1990 -- that almost took him out of tennis for good. He decided to come back because he still loves the game, the crowds, even the practicing. The difference now is that tennis isn't the most important thing in Connors' life.

"I wear three hats: family, business and tennis," said Connors, married to Patty with son Brett, 12, and daughter Aubree-Leigh, 5. "Before I had a family, tennis was my business. Now my family is first and foremost.

"I don't have any pressure on me," he said. "If I do well, fine. If not, I can just go home and see my family."

He doesn't find anything comparable about his comeback and the resurgence of John McEnroe, 33, who will make his first appearance in the Lipton this year.

"I'm 39. I was out of the game for a year with reconstructive surgery on my wrist," he said. "Do you see any similarities there?"

Of course not, Jimbo.

At the IBM/ATP awards dinner Thursday night, Connors was named the comeback player of the year, Stefan Edberg the player of the year and Jim Courier the most improved player.

Also at the $300-a-plate dinner at the Miami Airport Hilton, John Fitzgerald and Anders Jarryd were named the doubles team of the year, Fitzgerald won the adidas sportsmanship award and Byron Black won the rookie of the year award.

Men's qualifying

Singles: Robbie Weiss d. Jared Palmer, 6-0, 6-2; Grant Stafford d. Neil Borwick, 7-5, 6-4; Bernd Karbacher d. Chris Pridham, 6-1, 6-4; Marcos Ondruska d. Felipe Rivera, 6-4, 2-6, 7-5; Martin Blackman d. Tommy Ho, 6-4, 6-4; Jonathon Stark d. Ryan Blake, 6-2, 7-6, 6-1; Jimmy Brown d. Martin Wostenholme, 4-6, 6-2, 6-0; John Sobel d. Sergio Casal, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6; Steve Bryan d. George Bezecny, 6-7, 6-3, 7-6; Carsten Arriens d. Mark Kratzman, 7-6, 3-6, 6-2; Dave Randall d. Glenn Michibata 7-6, 6-4.

Doubles: Carl-Uwe Steeb-Markus Zoezke d. David Rikl-Tom Zdrazila, 6-1, 4-6, 7-6; Marius Barnard-Brent Haygarth d. Gianluca Pozzi-Sandon Stolle, 7-6, 6-4; Royce Peppe-Marcos Ondruska d. Tommy Ho-David Witt, 6-2, 7-5; Alfonso Mord-Minhea Nastase d. Ted Scherman-John Sobel, 6-3, 7-5.

Women's qualifying

Singles: Carling Bassett-Seguso d. Kataryna Nowak, 6-1, 6-1; Maureen Drake d. Tammy Whittington, 6-4, 6-3; Kyoko Nagatsuka d. Christina Salvi, 6-4, 7-5; Wiltrud Probst d. Jolene Watanabe, 2-6, 7-5, 6-3; Nicole Hummel d. Tatiana Ignatieva, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5; Camille Benjamin d. Angelica Gabaldon, 6-2, 6-2; Caroline Kuhlman d. Pascale Etchemendy, 6-1, 6-3, Nathalie Herreman d. Kristy Boogert, 6-3, 6-2.

Today's Lipton pairings

Stadium Court: Starting at 10 a.m. -- Shaun Stafford vs. Meredith McGrath; Bryan Shelton vs. Paola Cane; Raffaella Reggie-Concato vs. Peanut Harper; Marcos Ondruska vs. Andres Gomez; Starting at 6 p.m. -- Amanda Coefzer vs. Carling Bassett- Seguso; Patrick McEnroe vs. Stefano Pescosolido.

Court 1: Starting at 10 a.m. -- Jeff Tarango vs. Gianiuca; Mercedes Paz vs. Katrina Adams; Kevin Curren vs. Christian Saceanu; Jo Durie vs. Ginger Helgeson. Starting at 6 p.m. -- Jimmy Brown vs. Jim Grabb; Carrie Cunningham vs. Regina Rajchrtova.

Court 2: Starting at 10 a.m. -- Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer vs. Isabelle Demongeot; Wally Masur vs. Leonardo Lavalle; Linda Harvey-Wild vs. Claudia Porwik; Jan Gunnarsson vs. Jaime Yzaga; Nathalie Herreman vs. Akiko Kijirnuta.

Court 3: Starting at 10 a.m. -- Carl-Uwe Steeb vs. Carolos Costa; Sara Gomer vs. Stephanie Rehe; Linda Ferrando vs. Pascaie Paradis-Mangon; Ramesh Krishnan vs. Martin Jaite; Camille Benjamin vs. Meike Babel.

Court 4: Starting at 10 a.m. -- Silvia Farina vs. Gretchen Magers; Fernando Roese vs. Todd Witsken; Wiltrud Probst vs. Elena Brioukhovets; Ronald Agenor vs. Steve Bryan.

Court 5: Starting at 10 a.m. -- Sandon Stolle vs. Brian
Dunn; Katia Piccolini vs. Kathy Rinaldi; Gary Muller vs. Javier Frana; Caroline Kuhlman vs. Erika De Lone.

Court 6: Starting at 10 a.m.: Petra Thoren vs. Eugenia Manlokova; Thierry Champion vs. Christian Miniussi; Rennae Stubbs vs. Kyoko Nagatsuka; Michael Karbacher vs. Grant Connell.

Court 7: Starting at 10 a.m. -- Shuzo Masuoka vs. Michiel Schapers; Helen Kelesi vs. Miriam Oremans; Diego Nargiso vs. Carsten Arriens; Larisa Savchenko-Nelland vs Maya Kidowaki.

Court 8: Starting at 10 a.m. -- Eva Sviglenova vs. Petra Langrova; Martin Blackman vs. Partrick Baur; Nicole Hummell vs. Kristin Godridge; Dave Randall vs. Robbie Weiss.

Court 9: Starting at 10 a.m. -- Mary Lou Daniels vs. Donna Faber; Patricia Tarabini vs. Manon Bollegraf; Catherine Suire vs. Kimberly Po.

Court 10: Starting at 10 a.m. -- Noelle Van Loltum vs. Rika Hiraki; Alexia Dechaume vs. Audra Keller; Eina Reinach vs. Karine Quentrec; Marketa Kochta vs. Sabine Hack.

Court 12: Starting at 10 a.m.: Beltina Fulco-Villella vs. Chanda Rubin; Halle Cioffi vs. Florencia Labat; Lindsay Davenport vs. Maureen Drake.

LIPTON
* What: The Lipton International Players Championships.

* Where: The International Tennis Center, Key Biscayne.

* Tickets: Call 361-5252 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.

* Today's key matches: 10 a.m. session -- Carl-Uwe Steeb vs. Carlos Costa; 6 p.m. session -- Armanda Coetzer vs. Carling Bassett-Seguso; Patrick McEnroe vs. Stefano Pescosolido.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #396

STAFFORD WINS AFTER LONG DELAY
The Miami Herald
Saturday, March 14, 1992
AMY NIEDZIELKA

Former University of Florida player Shaun Stafford had it all planned out. Wake up at 6:30. Meet a friend for breakfast at 7:30. Head to the International Tennis Center. Warm up. Play a first round match in the Lipton International Players Championships on Key Biscayne.

Stafford accomplished all that, and more, beating Meredith McGrath, 6-1, 6-3. What she and McGrath hadn't counted on was the seven-hour rain delay that pushed the start of their match from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

"I knew we were going to have to wait the rain out because we were the first match," Stafford said. "I just wanted to get on and get it over with."

They both sat around the players' lounge all day. Stafford played Yahtzee. McGrath played cards. They talked to other players. They took turns checking the condition of the court.

"You do have friends on the tour," said Stafford, 23, of Gainesville. "I had a good time."

When the match resumed, Stafford, ranked 133rd in the world, proceeded to beat McGrath with a big first serve and an overpowering game.

The schedule for the second day is a cluttered one. The seven-hour rain delay forced the postponement of all but 13 of the scheduled 64 matches.

Never before in the seven-year history of the tournament has such a lengthy rain delay occurred. Eleven courts will be used tomorrow to play the 66 scheduled matches.

No ticket refunds or rainchecks will be given.

* Attendance -- meaning the number of people who walked through the gates -- was 8,926 for the day session and 9,783 for the evening.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #397

A SECOND SETBACK FOR BASSETT-SEGUSO PATIENT COETZER WINS, 6-4, 6-4
The Miami Herald
Saturday, March 14, 1992
AMY NIEDZIELKA

Amanda Coetzer wore down another one.

With the same relentless baseline game she used to defeat Gabriela Sabatini last week, Coetzer outslugged Carling Bassett-Seguso, 6-4, 6-4, Friday night in the first round of the Lipton International Players Championships on Key Biscayne.

Coetzer, of South Africa and ranked 38th in the world, setback Bassett-Seguso's comeback a second time. Prior to the Virginia Slims of Florida last week, where Bassett-Seguso lost to Kimiko Date in the first round, she hadn't played a singles match since May 1990.

Bassett-Seguso won two qualifying matches this week to get into the main draw before Coetzer stopped her cold.

"She's a good grinder," Bassett-Seguso said. "She doesn't really hurt you. She's fast and she has good passing shots on the run. She forces other players to go for a lot and they just miss."

Bassett-Seguso was trying to speed up the slow, long rallies by coming to the net, but Coetzer's patience won out.

"It was quite tough," Coetzer said. "She played well. She was taking the ball early and playing aggressively."

For a while, Bassett-Seguso's net-rushing initiative paid off, earning her a 3-2 first set lead.

"Because of what she was doing, I couldn't really get into long rallies," Coetzer said. "She varies the pace of the ball very well and I struggled early."

Not for long, however. Coetzer broke Bassett-Seguso at 15 to go up 4-3 and she held serve to win the first set.

Coetzer faltered again -- briefly -- in the second, losing the first game after six deuce points, and failing to hold serve to drop behind, 2-0.

That's when Bassett-Seguso's aggressiveness started producing wide balls rather than winners.

"I felt I was in control of most of the points," Bassett- Seguso said. "I just made errors. She didn't give me much pace to work with and I hesitated on some shots. I guess that's how she beats good players."

Coetzer still hasn't quite swallowed all of this. She never beat a top-10 player before defeating Sabatini. And Bassett- Seguso had been the No. 8 player in the world for a time in 1985.

"I've been practicing really hard the last two months," Coetzer said. "I feel comfortable, happy, good on the court. I think if I keep this up, I should go upwards."

Does she have dreams of winning the Lipton ?

"No," she said, smiling. "But it would be very great if I could."

While Coetzer thinks about her next opponent, Debbie Graham, the 25th-seed, Bassett-Seguso will have to look to her next tournament, the Family Circle Cup in Hilton Head, S.C., March 30.

Bassett-Seguso, who said she was nervous during her match with Date, said her confidence is back. Rather than merely trying to make progress in her matches, she wants to win them.

"I'm very upset I lost right now," she said. "I really wanted to win this match."
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #398

After 6-hour delay, ex-Gator Stafford wins at Lipton
St. Petersburg Times
Saturday, March 14, 1992
Associated Press

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - It was a match former University of Florida All-America Shaun Stafford eagerly anticipated: playing in her native state on center court in one of the world's biggest tennis tournaments.

Too bad hardly anybody showed up.

Rain delayed the start of the International Players Championships 6 1/2 hours yesterday, and when Stafford and Meredith McGrath finally began the first match on center court, the stadium had about 200 fans and 12,000 empty seats.

"I was really excited to play on the stadium court," Stafford said. "Being from Florida, I figured I'd have some people on my side. It was disappointing, but then again maybe it was good since I was a little uptight. If there were tons of people there, maybe I would have been more uptight."

Stafford swept McGrath, 6-1, 6-3, to advance to a second-round match against Natalia Zvereva. All seeded players in the 10-day tournament had yesterday off, and many of the daytime matches were postponed until today.

Stafford, whose goal is to climb into the top 20 from her current ranking of No. 133, showed she might have the patience for such a challenge. While the rain delay frustrated many players, Stafford visited with friends and won two out of three games of Yahtzee.

"I had a good time, actually," she said. "I stayed relaxed."

That's more than McGrath could say.

"It's a drag to sit around so much," she said. "It's almost more tiring than if you're out there playing."

Stafford, 23, was the NCAA singles champion in 1988 and appeared destined for a lucrative pro career when she reached No. 48 in the rankings two years ago. Then she plummeted out of the top 150.

Last year her record was 21-18, and she reached the quarterfinals of just one tournament. She blamed "distractions and bad experiences" but declined to elaborate.

"I wasn't really into tennis for a good part of last year," said Stafford, who still lives in Gainesville, Fla. "I've definitely had my ups and downs, but I think I've figured out that this is what I want to do. . . .

"I feel I can be a top 20 player. I know I have the potential."
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #399

WE SHOULD ALL BE SO HELPFUL AS THE LIPTON
The Miami Herald
Saturday, March 14, 1992
EDWIN POPE

A sizzling septuagenarian braced Butch Buchholz before Friday finally cleared for Lipton's opening. "I've never been to a tennis tournament before and I and my son drove 75 miles down here and we can't even find out what's happening and I'll never come back again!" the man stormed.

Chairman Buchholz explained that no precise announcements on starting times could be made, in the absence of a cutoff handle for the faucet upstairs. "But I'll give you guys two tickets for tomorrow," he said.

Two friends were made on the spot. Add the hundreds of thousands who have lapped up the Lipton on Key Biscayne over the past six years and that's a lot of friendship.

Note also, 46 percent of last year's 194,730 paying customers came from outside the tri-county area of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. That's a lot of tourism.

I submit that nothing except, ironically, our special weather brings more people to South Florida than the Lipton. It's clean. It's a happening, a gathering place for all ages of every ethnic sort. We need more Liptons, not fewer.

That doesn't make crackpots out of the environmentalists fighting the permanent stadium scheduled for almost immediate construction. It doesn't mean the rest of us are sinners against the environment, either -- especially when the stadium is designed to look as though it grew right out of the old garbage dump.

As for tourism, Lipton's telecasts reached five foreign countries in the beginning. Now they go to 41. When ESPN's Fred Stolle, Cliff Drysdale and Mary Carillo dispense more than 20 hours of Lipton to all points of the globe, they are seldom loath to mention sun and surf.

Can South Florida use the p.r.? Can Kristi Yamaguchi skate?

I speak as one as sensitive to the palms and paths of Key Biscayne as anyone. In the earliest of the 19 years I have lived there, we would sneak through the stinkpile where Lipton now sits, and fish for tarpon. We raised a few but had to fight the buzzards for them.

Now, voila! A solid-state low-profile stadium is being constructed even as balls cross the 1992 nets. Segments already precast in Tampa will be trucked in here for the county to put together as The Stadium the Bed-Tax Built.

As for Friday, sure we'd like Lipton to be like Wimbledon, but this was ridiculous.

"Ah," chairman Buchholz said, "this weather will just make us appreciate the weekend more."

Nearly 30 years of promoting tennis have taught him to make light of heavy skies and anything else that looks leaden. He'll whip out a scale model of the new stadium for anyone who'll look.

Buchholz is entitled. His tournament makes a grand slam for the territory in general. Lipton's office alone booked 8,000 hotel-room nights just for players and tournament staffers from all over. And I haven't seen a palm or a poinsettia bent yet.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #400

LIPTON OFFICIAL ALL WET AS RAINS DISRUPT
Sun-Sentinel
Saturday, March 14, 1992
JIM SARNI

KEY BISCAYNE -- Alan Mills, the Lipton tournament referee, knows a little about rain.

Mills' summer job is tournament referee at Wimbledon, where rain is as much a part of the British tradition as strawberries and cream.

Rain nearly ruined Wimbledon last summer, and the dark clouds seem to be following Mills.

Persistent showers delayed play at Lipton for seven hours Friday. Instead of the 52 scheduled matches, only 13 were played (on Friday the 13th no less).

''The rain hurts a lot because Lipton is only a 10-day tournament,'' Mills said. ''There's not as much built-in time to catch up as there is at Wimbledon, which is two weeks.''

Lipton is also a 96-draw with 32 seeds getting byes into the second round. None of the big stars can play until they get opponents.

Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Jennifer Capriati and Monica Seles were all supposed to play for today's expected capacity crowd, but they must wait a day for their opponents.

Today's marquee names instead are defending champion Jim Courier, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, Michael Chang, Steffi Graf and Gabriela Sabatini.

The women, who were scheduled to complete the second round today, are now a round behind, and will have to play each day through Thursday's semifinals.

The men are scheduled to complete the second round Sunday.

Lipton will use 14 courts instead of 12 -- adding 10 matches to the schedule -- for the next few days.

-- It was a hard day's night, but a happy one, for Bryan Shelton. He arrived at Lipton at 9 a.m., but did not get on the court until after 6 p.m.

''It feels good to leave here with a win,'' said Shelton, ranked No. 59, who fired 23 aces in a 7-6 (7-5), 7-5 victory over Paolo Cane. ''A lot of guys did not get to play.''

Shelton gets his reward tonight: His first match against Agassi.

''I've never played Agassi, but this is a good time to play him,'' said Shelton, of Atlanta. ''It's always good to face a top player early in a tournament, before they have a chance to get rolling. Agassi is a good frontrunner.''

Shelton, 26, has two advantages tonight: he's already played on the stadium and under the lights. But the court favors Agassi.

''It's playing really slow,'' said Shelton. ''I like them really fast.''

Shelton reached the round of 16 here two years ago, the week after he graduated from Georgia Tech.

''I have some good memories of Key Biscayne,'' Shelton said. ''It's one of the best tournaments I've ever played.''

-- Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer and Isabelle Demongeot split tiebreakers, and appeared to be headed for a final one, before Fairbank, up 4-3, broke Demongeot and served out the two-hour and 50-minute match 6-7 (7-4), 7-6 (7-2), 6-3... Ramesh Krishnan, one of five men who have played all eight Liptons, defeated Martin Jaite 7-6 (7-3), 6-2... Robert Seguso is playing doubles with Stefan Edberg. ''I hope to keep the Swedish thing going,'' said Seguso, who won the French Open with Andres Jarryd one year... Less than 500 tickets remain for today and Sunday, less than 400 for Monday. Grounds passes will be sold.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #401

BASSETT, A LOSER; REHE WINS - OPENING DAY AT LIPTON COMEBACK CORNER - HOW THE SEEDS FARED
Sun-Sentinel
Saturday, March 14, 1992
JIM SARNI

KEY BISCAYNE -- Carling Bassett-Seguso and Stephanie Rehe have both tasted Lipton glory.

Bassett reached the semifinals of the first Lipton in 1985; Rehe made the final four in 1988.

Now, in the '90s, Bassett and Rehe want another sip. The two former Top Ten players are both making comebacks -- Bassett, 24, returning from her second child, Rehe, 22, returning from back surgery.

Friday found the pair back at Lipton, fighting to get out of the first round on opening night after rain delayed play for seven hours.

Bassett, playing her second tournament in two years Friday, lost to Amanda Coetzer 6-4, 6-4. Rehe, the 1991 Comeback Player of the Year, beat Sara Gomer 7-5, 6-4.

Bassett, who qualified with three victories this week, was upset that she lost. Rehe offered some encouragement.

''I would tell Carling to be patient,'' said Rehe, who is ranked No. 111 now. ''Don't be too hard on yourself. Your expectations are so high when you first come back. It takes time.''

It hasn't taken Bassett much time to gain some needed confidence. She was a nervous loser to Kimiko Date in the first round of the Virginia Slims of Florida in Boca Raton 11 days ago.

''Now, I feel I'm in every match,'' Bassett said. ''I played well in qualifying and I really wanted to win tonight. I thought I had a good shot. I was in control of most of the points, but I made too many errors.''

Coetzer, who upset Gabriela Sabatini and reached the semifinals at the Virginia Slims of Florida, frustrated Bassett with her baseline game. The 20-year-old South African does not give opponents anything.

''She didn't give me much pace to work with,'' Bassett said. ''I had to be the aggressor all night. But I guess that's what she does. She makes you feel like you have to win the point. Every game was a grind.''

Bassett won the opening game of the second set on the sixth deuce, then broke for a 2-0 lead, but Coetzer won the next three games.

Coetzer broke for 4-3, but Bassett broke back. Coetzer broke again for 5-4 and served out the match. Bassett saved four match points, but couldn't stop the last one.

''Those games could have gone either way,'' said Bassett, who will try to qualify for the Family Circle Cup in Hilton Head next month. ''This was a tough match to lose, but I would have lost it easier if I didn't play those qualifying matches. I just need more matches.''

Rehe, who took a wild card into the main draw, won her first match at Lipton since reaching the quarterfinals in 1986. She lost her last three first-round matches.

''It was a very close match,'' said Rehe, who will face 21st-seeded Naoko Sawamatsu of Japan in the second round today. ''Durie played well, but I won with some big passing shots. I'm happy because I like Lipton . I've always enjoyed playing in Florida. I won a lot of junior matches here.''

Rehe returned to the tour in the summer of 1990, following extensive rehabilitation after a back injury sidelined her in 1989. She reached the quarterfinals of the Virginia Slims of Los Angeles in her second tournament back and finished the year ranked No. 57.

''There was no pressure after the surgery,'' said Rehe, who lives in L.A. ''Last year, I expected too much and I lost some confidence. We all know how to play tennis; it's in the head. On the crucial points, you have to go for it. It's one thing to say it and another to believe it deep down.''

Rehe has struggled in singles, but excelled in doubles to where she is now ranked No. 19.

''My doubles kept me in there,'' said Rehe, who won Indian Wells with Claudia Kohde-Kilsch two weeks ago. ''I think I'm playing pretty well. My goal is to get back into the Top 20. Getting the Comeback Award last year was wonderful after all the hard work I've put in. It inspired me.''

It was Saturday the 14th by the time Patrick McEnroe finished beating Stefano Pescosolido 3-6, 6-2, 6-1.

Last year, McEnroe upset Boris Becker in the third round on the same stadium court.

''It helps that I've played well here before,'' said McEnroe, who lost his serve in the first game of the second set, before he rallied.

''I started out playing a little defensive. He was controlling the points in the first set. I had to change my game and take the ball early.''

McEnroe will meet Paul Haarhuis in the second round.

Carling Bassett-Seguso and Stephanie Rehe have had success at Lipton . But the former Top Ten players are now on the comeback trail. The trail took different paths on the first day of play Friday: Bassett-Seguso lost to Amanda Coetzer while Rehe defeated Sara Gomer.

Rainy day

How bad did it rain at Lipton Friday? Bad enough to delay play for seven hours. And bad enough for only 13 of 52 scheduled matches to be completed.

''The rain hurts a lot because Lipton is only a 10-day tournament,'' Lipton tournament referee Alan Mills said. ''There's not as much built-in time to catch up as there is at Wimbledon, which is two weeks.''

No seeds played Friday.

MATCH OF THE DAY

Amanda Coetzer defeated Carling Bassett-Seguso 6-4, 6-4 in a two-hour duel on center court.

MISMATCH OF THE DAY

Shaun Stafford stopped Meredith McGrath 6-1, 6-3 in one hour.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

''It's good to play Agassi early in the tournament. If he gets rolling, he'll be tough to beat.'' -- Bryan Shelton, who plays Andre Agassi tonight.

ETC.

--Stefan Edberg has the most lifetime Lipton match wins (22) of anyone entered this year. Ivan Lendl's record of 24 victories is in danger. Steffi Graf (28) is two victories away from tying Chris Evert, who leads the women with 30 wins. Gabriela Sabatini has won 27 matches at Lipton .

--The youngest players at Lipton are Lindsay Davenport (15) and Brian Dunn (17). Davenport is nine months younger than Jennifer Capriati, who turns 16 this month.

--Thirtysomething set: Jimmy Connors (39), Kevin Curren (34), John McEnroe (33), Andres Gomez (32), Michiel Schapers (32), Catherine Suire (32), Jo Durie (31), Peanut Harper (31), Ros Fairbank-Nideffer (31), Brad Gilbert (30) and Mary Lou Daniels (30).

--Lowest-ranked player: No. 794 Nicole Hummel, who qualified.

TODAY'S MATCHES TO WATCH

Day session starting at 10 a.m.

Sandon Stolle vs. Brian Dunn (Court 11, 2nd match): Fred's son against the U.S. Boys' 18 champion for the right to play John McEnroe Sunday.

Jim Courier vs. Thierry Champion (Stadium, 4th match): The defending champion returns as the No. 1 player in the world. Courier has never lost to a French player.

Michael Chang vs. (Court 1, 4th match): Chang is coming off a victory at Indian Wells last week.

Night session, 7 p.m.

Pete Sampras vs. Shuzo Matsuoka (Court 1, 1st match): Sampras lost to Rodolphe Gilbert in his first match here last year.

Andre Agassi vs. Bryan Shelton (Stadium, 2nd match): Agassi, the 1990 Lipton champion, is in a slump.

FRIDAY'S RESULTS

Men -- Bryan Shelton d. Paolo Cane 7-6, 7-5; Shuzo Matsuoka d. Michiel Schapers 6-4, 6-2; Ramesh Krishnan d. Martin Jaite 7-6 (7-3), 6-2; Thierry Champion d. Christian Minussi 4-6, 6-3, 6-4; Carl-Uwe Steeb d. Carlos Costa 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-3; Patrick McEnroe d. Stefano Pescosolido 3-6, 6-2, 6-1.

Women -- Shaun Stafford d. Meredith McGrath 6-1, 6-3; Amanda Coetzer d. Carling Bassett-Seguso 6-4, 6-4; Katrina Adams d. Mercedes Paz 6-3, 6-3; Ros Fairbank-Nideffer d. Isabelle Demongeot 6-7 (7-4), 7-6 (7-2), 6-3; Wiltrud Probst d. Elena Brioukhovets 6-2, 6-2; Stephanie Rehe d. Sara Gomer 7-5, 6-4; Pascale Paradis-Mangon d. Linda Ferrando 7-5, 6-0.

TODAY'S SCHEDULE

Stadium day, 10 a.m.: Raffaella Reggi-Concato vs. Peanut Harper; Marcos Ondruska vs. Andres Gomez; Katrina Adams vs. Gabriela Sabatini (3); Jim Courier (1) vs. Thierry Champion.

Stadium night, 6 p.m.: Wiltrud Probst vs. Steffi Graf (2); Bryan Shelton vs. Andre Agassi (11).

Court 1 day, 10 a.m.: Jimmy Brown vs. Jim Grabb; Carrie Cunningham v. Regina Rajchrtova; Jeff Tarango vs. Gianicluca Pozzi; Ramesh Krishnan vs. Michael Chang (6).

Court 1 night, 6 p.m.: Pete Sampras (4) vs. Shuzo Matsuoka; Shawn Stafford vs. Natalia Zvereva (18)

Court 2 day, 10 a.m.: Eva Sviglerova vs. Petra Langrova; Kevin Curren vs. Christian Saceanu; Jo Durie vs. Ginger Helgeson; Zina Garrison (9) vs. Pascale Paradia-Mangon; Stephanie Rehe vs. Naoko Sawamatsu (21).

Court 3 day, 10 a.m.: Marc Rosset vs. Christo Van Rensburg; Helen Kelesi vs. Miriam Oremans; Arnaud Boetsch vs. Jan Siemerink; Jan Gunnarsson vs. Jaime Yzaga; A. Mora/M. Nastase vs. M. Ondruska/R. Deppe; Robin White (31) vs. Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer.

Court 4 day, 10 a.m.: Silvia Farina vs. Gretchen Magers; Jean-Philippe Fleurian vs. Chuck Adams; Gary Muller vs. Javier Frana; Caroline Kuhlman vs. Erika De Lone.

Court 5 day, 10 a.m.: Ronald Agenor vs. Steve Bryan; Katia Piccolini vs. Kathy Rinaldi; Wally Masur vs. Leonardo Lavalle; Martin Blackman vs. Patrick Baur.

Court 6 day, 10 a.m.: Petra Thoren vs. Eugenia Maniokova; Bernd Karbacher vs. Grant Connell; Jason Stoltenberg vs. Jaime Oncins; Larisa Savchenko-Neiland vs. Maya Kidowaki.

Court 7 day, 10 a.m.: Danilo Marcelino vs. Jonathan Stark; Diego Nargiso vs. Carsten Arriens; Marketa Kochta vs. Sabine Hack; Grant Stafford vs. Cristiana Caratti.

Court 8 day, 10 a.m.: Frederic Fontang vs. Jon Sobel; Tomas Carbonelli vs. Patrik Kuhnen; Nicole Hummell vs. Kristin Godridge; Elna Reinach vs. Karine Quentrec.

Court 9 day, 10 a.m.: Alexander Mronz vs. Markus Zoecke; Mary Lou Daniels vs. Donna Faber; Fabrice Santoro vs. Rodolphe Gilbert; C.Steeb/M.Zoecke vs. M.Barnard/B.Haygarth.

Court 10 day, 10 a.m.: Vell Paloheimo vs. Gilad Bloom; Camille Benjamin vs. Meike Babel; Fernando Roese vs. Todd Witsken; Gabriel Markus vs. Cedric Pioline.

Court 11 day, 10 a.m.: Noelle Van Lottum vs. Rika Hiraki; Sandon Stolle vs. Brian Dunn; Patricia Tarabini vs. Manon Bollegraf; Dave Randall vs. Robbie Weiss

Court 12 day, 10 a.m.: Bettina Fulco-Villella vs. Chanda Rubin; Halle Cioffi vs. Florencia Labat; Lindsay Davenport vs. Maureen Drake; Alexia Dechaume vs. Audra Keller.

Court 13 day, 10 a.m.: Linda Harvey-Wild vs. Claudia Porwik; Nathalie Herreman vs. Akiko Kijimuta; Rennae Stubbs vs. Kyoko Nagatsuka; Catherine Suire vs. Kimberley Po.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #402

Brief mention of Carrie Cunningham at the end.

STOLLES UNITE FOR MATCHUP WITH MCENROE
Sun-Sentinel
Sunday, March 15, 1992
JIM SARNI

KEY BISCAYNE -- It was the Big Dream: Sandon Stolle on Centre Court at Wimbledon, playing John McEnroe, his idol. Father Fred, the former Aussie great, up in the TV booth, doing the commentary.

Today, the Sandman pays a return visit to Sandon, who faces McEnroe again at Lipton . And, again, Fred Stolle will be in the ESPN booth.

''It was a big occasion at Wimbledon last summer,'' said Sandon, 21, who defeated Brian Dunn 7-5, 6-4 in the first round Saturday. ''And it will be a big occasion to play John again.''

McEnroe defeated Stolle at Wimbledon 7-6, 5-7, 6-0, 7-6.

''John was annoyed,'' said Fred. ''He knew he was in a match, and I think Sandon enjoyed that.''

''I gave John a good fight,'' said Sandon, who is ranked No. 135. ''I know I can play against him. He doesn't like to play against my game. I need to get a good start and let him know he's not going to have an easy match.''

-- Carrie Cunningham baked the first double bagel at Lipton Saturday.

''I felt like I was going to win every game, even when I was down 15-40,'' said Cunningham, after she beat Regina Rajchrtova 6-0, 6-0. ''I started off well, put the pressure on her and never let up. In the juniors, if you win the first set 6-0, you know you're going to win the match. But in the pros, you have to keep concentrating.''

Cunningham, 19, who turned pro a year ago today, is the sixth woman to win love-and-love in the eight years at Lipton. Chris Evert did it twice, against Vicki Nelson-Dunbar (1987) and Alycia Moulton (1988).
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #403

SABATINI TAKES RETURN IN STRIDE, RIPS ADAMS 6-2, 6-3
Sun-Sentinel
Sunday, March 15, 1992
JIM SARNI

KEY BISCAYNE -- Gabriela Sabatini spent last weekend here, riding her motorcycle, walking on the beach, trying to figure out what happened to her in Boca Raton.

Sabatini read about Steffi Graf winning the Virginia Slims of Florida by beating Conchita Martinez, who beat Amanda Coezter, who beat Sabatini in a peculiar quarterfinal.

Sabatini lost and limped off the court with cramps.

Sabatini returned to the court Saturday in stride and crushed Katrina Adams 6-2, 6-3.

The Virginia Slims of Florida is lost, but now there is Lipton .

''I'm more eager because of the loss last week,'' Sabatini said. ''It's nice to play here because this is my second home.''

The third-seeded Sabatini, who won Lipton in 1989, was one of only three top 16-seeds to play Saturday, as Lipton catches up after a rainy start Friday.

Second-seeded Steffi Graf defeated Wiltrud Probst 6-3, 6-1, while ninth-seeded Zina Garrison topped Pascale Paradis-Mangon 6-3, 6-4.

Two-time defending champion Monica Seles, fourth-seeded Arantxa Sanchez- Vicario, sixth-seeded Jennifer Capriati and seventh-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez play their first matches today.

The entire women's draw will play Monday through Thursday to get to the semifinals.

Sabatini said she feels fine after her collapse with cramps.

''I've been practicing and I'm in good shape,'' she said. ''I don't know what happened in the Coetzer match. Physically, I wasn't there. With my game, I didn't do too much and she had a very good match.''

The latest Sabatini-Graf Florida clash, promised in Boca Raton, should happen in the semifinals here. Mary Pierce (10) and Nathalie Tauziat (8) are the seeds in Sabatini's way, while Kimiko Date (16) and Fernandez (6) stand in Graf's path.

Graf, the 1987-88 Lipton champion, won her 29th Lipton match, leaving her one behind Chris Evert's record of 30. Sabatini has 28 Lipton victories.

''I'm feeling pretty good right now,'' Graf said. ''I had a few days off Boca, and now I'm real eager to play again. I'm very happy to be here.''

Garrison is in fourth place on the all-time win list with 22 victories.

Garrison has had her ups and downs at Lipton . A semifinalist in 1989, Garrison was upset by Julie Halard in the second round in 1990, then advanced to the quarterfinals last year.

''I've played well more often than not here,'' said Garrison, who won the doubles with Fernandez last year. ''I enjoy playing here.''

While Sabatini tries to forget Boca Raton, Garrison hopes that her superb play there last week (losing to Graf in a three-set quarterfinal) continues.

''Boca helped me a lot,'' Garrison said. ''I felt I had the opportunity to win against Graf. I just need to press more.''

Garrison is in a challenging section of the draw. She plays Naoko Sawamatsu next, and then probably Capriati in the round of 16. Seles awaits if she keeps winning.

''I wouldn't bet against Seles,'' Garrison said. ''She's done so well, but there has to be a letdown sometime. There are a lot of good players who are hungry. She's going to get a lot of competition here.''
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #404

STADIUM TO GIVE LIPTON 'HOME' - CONNORS, COURIER HONORED - COLLINS IS RADIO-READY - UPCOMING LOCAL TOURNEYS - WHEELCHAIR GAME GROWS - ETC.
Sun-Sentinel
Sunday, March 15, 1992
JIM SARNI

KEY BISCAYNE -- The bleachers go up, the bleachers come down. Lipton has been a Lego tennis set for eight years.

But when the bleachers come down this time after the March 22 men's final, workers will start building something that stays up.

The Lipton tennis stadium. At last.

''It's the last piece of the puzzle,'' said Butch Buchholz, the tournament chairman, who envisioned a tennis paradise on the site of a former dump when he moved Lipton here from Boca West six years ago.

The $16.5-million stadium will give Lipton, the biggest tournament in the world after the Grand Slams, a real permanence.

The octagonal-shaped stadium, with its Mediterranean-style look and giant palm trees growing through the middle of the stairways, will also reinforce its distinctive South Florida flavor.

Rossetti Associates, the same firm that is designing the new U.S. Open stadium, is planning this stadium.

The stadium will have 7,500 permanent seats on one level, with 6,500 temporary bleachers on a secondary level. Corporate suites, seating 16, will overlook either the ocean or the nearby lake.

The structure, including the temporary seats, will not exceed the 55-foot maximum allowed by zoning rules, insisted upon by the Key Biscayne residents who fought against the stadium. Covered by the foliage and trees, the stadium will be barely visible from Crandon Boulevard.

''Everyone is going to be proud of this stadium,'' Buchholz said. ''We're excited that this is our home.''

Construction is scheduled to begin the day after the bleachers are taken down, with a completion date of mid-February.

Jimmy Connors was named Comeback Player and Jim Courier received the Most Improved Player at the IBM/ATP Tour Awards Gala Thursday night. Other awards, voted on by the ATP members, went to John Fitzgerald (Sportsmanship Award) and Byron Black (Rookie of the Year). The U.S. Men's Hardcourt Championships was named Tournament of the Year for the fourth consecutive year. The Swiss Open in Gstaad was selected as the best World Series tournament.

Stefan Edberg claimed Player of Year, while John Fitzgerald and Anders Jarryd took Doubles Team of the Year in awards based on computer finishes.

A tennis broadcast is not the same without the booming voice of Bud Collins.

ESPN and ABC are sharing the Lipton telecasts, but NBC's Collins will be calling the action -- on radio.

For the first time at Lipton , stroke-by-stroke coverage will be heard on Sunshine Network Radio. WMRZ-AM will broadcast the semifinals (Thursday and Friday) and the finals (Saturday and Sunday).

''Every serve-and-volley charge to the net. A down-the-line backhand rocketed for a winner. The thunderous roar of thousands at center court,'' said Collins, warming up his microphone.

Lipton is not on ESPN this weekend because of college basketball's ''Championship Week,'' which occurs one week later than normal this year.

Another media note: a record 29 countries (10 more than last year) are covering Lipton this year -- Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Ecuador, England, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Holland, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Nigeria, Peru, Portugal, Panama, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United States, Uruguay and Venezuela.

A pair of USTA men's satellite events will follow Lipton : the first at the Racquet Club of Boca Raton, March 23-29, and the second at Bonaventure, March 30-April 4... The next major ATP event in the state is the USTA Clay Courts of Tampa at the Harbour Island Athletic Club, April 13-19.

Wheelchair tennis -- the fastest growing of all wheelchair sports since its inception in 1976 -- returns to Lipton for the third straight year, beginning with an instructional clinic Thursday.

The Mitsubishi Electronics Invitational will feature 16 men and eight women, including most of the top players in the world.

Steffi Graf is closing in on second place on the all-time prize money list. The Virginia Slims of Florida $110,000 paycheck put Graf at $8,769,034, $127,161 behind Chris Evert... Graf, who last won Brighton in November, went 133 days without a singles title. Her longest droughts: 154 days (1985-86) and 140 days (1990-91)... Graf is 59-5 over the past 12 months, compared to Monica Seles' 73-5 record during the same span... Mary Joe Fernandez is in second place behind Seles on the Kraft points standings. Conchita Martinez, who is skipping Lipton , is fourth... Gabriela Sabatini, upset by Amanda Coetzer at the Virginia Slims of Florida, has lost to six unseeded players since January, 1990. Claudia Porwik (1990 Australian Open), Lori McNeil (1990 U.S. Hardcourts), Sandra Cecchini (1990 Lufthansa Cup), Stephanie Rehe (1990 Virginia Slims of Los Angeles) and Kimiko Date (1990 Virginia Slims of Los Angeles) are the others to surprise Sabatini... Many fans complained, and rightly so, about the quarterfinal schedule at the Virginia Slims of Florida last Friday. Graf, Sabatini and Fernandez all played during the day, while Martinez played the lone night singles. Quarterfinal singles should be split, two and two...

No. 9 Michael Chang, 5 feet 8, is the only player in the Top 10 under 6 feet. Times have changed. In the 1973 first-year ATP year-end rankings, six of the Top 10 were under 6 feet... Jimmy Arias, 27, is missing Lipton for the first time because of wrist surgery (Feb. 19). Scar tissue that had hampered Arias for the past two years was removed... Bjorn Borg, who won the inaugural Senior Shootout over Bob Lutz, plans to play ATP Tour stops in Nice, Monte Carlo and Munich this spring. His next senior event is Mook, The Netherlands, May 25-31...
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #405

SABATINI FINDS MOTIVATION IN SLIMS DEFEAT
The Palm Beach Post
Sunday, March 15, 1992
PATRICK McMANAMON

The mystery of what happened to Gabriela Sabatini in last week's Virginia Slims of Florida may never be solved, but Sabatini said she's back to normal physically.

"I feel strong again," Sabatini said Saturday after her 6-3, 6-2 second- round win over Katrina Adams. "I feel very good."

Cramps caused Sabatini to lose to Amanda Coetzer last week, unusual for a top player familiar with the heat.

Cramps normally are caused by dehydration, but Sabatini said she always drinks a lot of water before and during matches.

Sabatini said the loss last week has her more motivated at Lipton, which is played minutes from her Key Biscayne home.

"I feel I didn't do anything last week," Sabatini said.