1992 - Page 24 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #346
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

An excerpt, getting warmed up for Grunt-Gate at Wimbledon...

ON THE AIR Seles' grunts become Graf-ic
Boston Herald
Tuesday, June 9, 1992
JIM BAKER

Without question, the French Open women's championship was harder on the ears than was the NBA title series' ugly Game 3 on the eyes. Monica Seles' relentless grunting and shrieking for two hours, 42 minutes was the reason.

Ch.4's Scott Wahle gave her the mother of all one-sentence reviews, carving: "Seles was grunting and screaming like a stuck pig!" Ouch: Gloria Steinem and cohorts can send calls and letters of outrage to WBZ, not here.

Wahle's choice of words could have been better, but the point was clear. Seles' play was outstanding as she edged Steffi Graf in a match loaded with peaks and valleys, yet the big constant was Seles' loud grunting with every swing and shrieks (even wailing) when she just missed Graf volleys.

NBC and tennis officials scramble to Seles' defense, saying her noise doesn't bother most rivals. Yet Dick Enberg reported she won't even watch tapes of her own play. Why? Because she can't stand to hear herself grunt. So why should viewers be asked to put up with such audio torture?

Yes, Jimmy Connors is also a notorious grunter - and annoying - but even mild-mannered Enberg acknowledges Seles reaches a new octave of screeching when in deep trouble.

Women's Tennis Association officials insist Seles has never been to stifle herself, but she has acknowledged wanting to reduce her grunts. Yet one sports psychologist she has used her to exclaim with every swing - but to replace grunts with exclamations of "Yesss!" No, Marv Albert wasn't involved.

Wimbledon, the next Grand Slam stop, didn't have to put up with Seles' noise last year. She was missing for a while, remember? There were false reports that she was pregnant, remember? In the end, she claimed she just had shin splints. Wimbledon watchers didn't know how lucky they were.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #347

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Another excerpt, and I have the feeling that the crowd might have been somewhat mocking her...

While Monica Seles was warming up before her second-round match against Karin Kschwendt of Germany, her grunts kept the French fans entertained. When Seles hit the ball and grunted "hon-REE," the fans joined in in unison. The grunts sound like the French pronunciation of Henri Leconte's first name. "The crowd started yelling; it was different," Seles said. "(It) took awhile after that to concentrate."
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #348

1992 VS of Chicago, where Navratilova broke the record for tournament titles...

Harvey-Wild, Adams set for Slims without qualifier
Chicago Sun-Times
Friday, February 7, 1992
Len Ziehm

The Virginia Slims of Chicago, which will be held for the 21st time next week at the Pavilion, didn't need a local qualifying tournament this year.

Linda Harvey-Wild, of Hawthorn Woods, and Katrinia Adams, of Chicago, have high enough world rankings to qualify for the main draw in their city's premier tennis attraction.

Harvey-Wild is ranked 56th and Adams 87th.

Chicago players weren't always so fortunate, and Harvey-Wild - who got her big break at the Chicago Slims qualifier two years ago - is doubly lucky this year because her ranking could easily be much lower.

She injured her knee last summer at Wimbledon and was forced off the court for two months.

"It was a bone bruise," she said of the injury that occurred four games into a third-round match with Laura Gildemeister after victories over Lisa Bonder-Kreiss and Natalia Zvereva.

"I was really lucky. It could have been the anterior cruciate ligament."

Harvey-Wild spent a few weeks on crutches and didn't return to action until July 30. Normally a long layoff means a big drop in the all-important world rankings, but not this time.

Rankings are figured by a complicated formula that subtracts results from the previous year's tourneys. Harvey-Wild didn't have many to subtract.

"I was fortunate because the whole month of July the year before I had played Team Tennis, so I hadn't earned any ranking points," she said.

She missed tournaments in San Diego and Los Angeles, as well as the U.S. Open, but was ready to go when 1992 began.

Her season started with three tournaments in Australia. She lost in the second round of singles and doubles at Brisbane, bowed to Sabine Hack in the first round at Sydney and beat Helen Kelesi before losing to Rachel McQuillan at the Australian Open.

Since then she's been training under the direction of stepfather-coach Steve Wild at the Libertyville Racquet Club and doing fitness training at the Buehler YMCA in Palatine.

The Chicago Slims will start a long run of tournaments for Harvey-Wild, as well as stir a happy memory.

Two years ago she survived the last local qualifier, turned professional and upset then-French Open champion Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in the first round.

The local qualifier gave her career a big, early burst, but its future in the Chicago Slims is doubtful.

International Management Group, which took over the running of the tournament two years ago, has scrapped it.

"I love the idea of local qualifying," said IMG's Mike Savit.

"It's just that if someone ranked in the world's top 30 would like to enter late, you'd like to be able to give them a spot."

This year was a case in point. Steffi Graf, the world's No. 2-ranked player, wanted to come after the entry deadline. The only way should could get in was through the wild-card process or withdrawals. Patty Fendick's recent knee injury got Graf in.

If Fendick had not had that misfortune, the only way a drawing card like Graf could have made the field was through a wild card. IMG still has two of those to hand out, and Savit said IMG is not against giving it to a deserving local player.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #349

SLIMS QUICK FACTS
Chicago Sun-Times
Sunday, February 9, 1992

WHERE
University of Illinois-Chicago Pavilion, 1150 W. Harrison St.

SCHEDULE
Sessions starting times
Monday-Thursday: 10 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Friday: 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Saturday: 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 15: 12:30 p.m.

TICKETS
Prices: $8-25.
Information: Call (312) 565-4100 or (312) 559-1212.

TELEVISION
Singles final: 12:30 p.m. Feb. 16.

THE FIELD
(World ranking in parenthesis)
Steffi Graf (2)
Martina Navratilova (4)
Jana Novotna (10)
Zina Garrison (15)
Gigi Fernandez (18)
Lori McNeil (21)
Amy Frazier (22)
Pam Shriver (37)
Nicole Provis (38)
Debbie Graham (39)
Manon Bollegraf (43)
Tami Whitlinger (45)
Robin White (49)
Marianne Werdel (50)
Mariann De Swardt (53)
Patricia Hy (55)
Linda Harvey-Wild (56)
Ginger Helgeson (57)
Anne Minter (66)
Elna Reinach (71)
Maya Kidowaki (79)
Peanut Harper (84)
Katrina Adams (87)
Audra Keller (88)
Halle Cioffi (90)
Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer (102)

Plus wild card entrys
Sonja Jeyaseelan
Lihini Weerasuriya

THE PRIZE MONEY
Purse: $350,000. Singles champion: $70,000. Runner-up: $35,000. Semifinalists: $17,000. Doubles winners: split $21,000.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #350

Martina's sights set on record - Title total matches Evert
Chicago Sun-Times
Sunday, February 9, 1992
Len Ziehm

So what's another tennis championship to Martina Navratilova? She already has won 157 of them.

This week, however, she bids for her 12th title in the $350,000 Virginia Slims of Chicago, and it will be of more than passing interest if she pulls it off.

Chris Evert won her first professional tennis tournament in 1971. She retired in 1989 with a record 157 championships. Jimmy Connors has the most titles among the men with 109.

So Navratilova, who started winning in 1973, would become the winningest tennis player in history with a victory in the final next Sunday at the Pavilion.

"I'm this close, I might as well do it," Navratilova said.

When that title does come, Navratilova will hold the record for a long time. The third woman in titles is Steffi Graf at 61. Ivan Lendl (88) and John McEnroe (76) are next among the men.

As far as money goes, it's already no contest. Navratilova has $17.6 million in career winnings, followed by Evert ($8.8 million) and Graf ($8.6 million). Connors is the top man with $8.3 million.

Navratilova, 35, has downplayed her quest for Evert's record.

At her last tournament, the Toray Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo two weeks ago, Navratilova even bypassed Evert's record in discussing her season goals.

"To win Wimbledon and the U.S. Open (the only Grand Slam tournaments she will enter) are my targets this season," she said. "I skipped the Australian Open. Because of my age, I have to choose my schedule very carefully. But I am eager to regain the world's No. 1 position.

"If I play consistently, regardless of the Grand Slam events or other tournaments, I will be No. 1 again."

She isn't consenting to interviews away from tournament sites because, her representatives tell tournament promoters, Navratilova doesn't want to field questions about her pending lawsuit involving former companion Judy Nelson.

"I am still good mentally and physically," Navratilova said, "but I am a bit nervous in matches recently."

Titles have been hard to come by since she won No. 156 in Eastbourne, England, last June.

She needed five tries to get No. 157 but finally got it with a three-set upset of top-ranked Monica Seles at the Virginia Slims of California on Nov. 10.

Seles thwarted Navratilova's first try for No. 158 in a four-set final at the Virginia Slims Championships in New York on Nov. 24, and Gabriela Sabatini beat her in three sets in Tokyo.

"It was there for me," Navratilova said of the Sabatini match, "but I didn't play well."

Still, Navratilova has made the final of her last six tournaments after losing to Jennifer Capriati in the quarterfinals at Wimbledon.

Standing in her way at the Pavilion is second-ranked Graf, who will be making her 1992 debut. Graf withdrew from the Australian Open and the Tokyo tourney with a case of German measles. Graf, who is making her first Chicago appearance in singles, will be the top seed this week. Navratilova, who will seek her third consecutive victory here, is seeded second.

Looming as the next challengers are Jana Novotna, the only other entrant ranked in the world's top 10, and Zina Garrison, last year's runner-up and Chicago Slims champion in 1989.

Navratilova isn't thinking about a final with Graf yet, but she expects to set the record soon.

"I should be able to do it unless I get injured or something and have to quit playing," she said. "Even if I have to play a small tournament somewhere, I should be able to break the record.

"It's nice because every time I play a tournament I have a chance. It's not a record, like a consecutive-match streak or consecutive Wimbledon titles, where you only have one opportunity to do it. That makes the pressure enormous.

"But I'm sure if I really get into the situation where I'm close to winning a match and the tournament, I'll be thinking about it (Evert's record). So I'll have to concentrate on not doing that."

Throughout her career, Navratilova has been more than an athlete. She has been able to impact public opinion about broader issues, starting with her defection from Czechoslovakia.

She was a pioneer in physical fitness training techniques for women and among the first prominent people to declare her homosexuality.

Most recently, she stirred opinion with a comment about Magic Johnson's admission that he was infected with the AIDS virus.

Navratilova said that if she were to get the disease, people would say she "had it coming" because of her lifestyle. She also said that if a woman had admitted to as many sexual liaisons as Johnson had, the woman would be branded "a slut and a whore."

Navratilova has not announced plans for retirement.

"Her condition is so superb, she could play at a high level when she's 40," frequent doubles partner Pam Shriver said. "Billie Jean King reached the semifinals at Wimbledon when she was 39, and Martina is physically bigger and stronger and better than Billie Jean."

Evert, who retired at 34, watched Navratilova lose to Sabatini in Tokyo.

"I may break the record, and Chris may come out of retirement and try to win some other tournament somewhere else," said Navratilova, who knows that won't happen. "Then we'll keep going back and forth."
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #351

Slims revives memory of Navratilova-Evert rivalry
Chicago Sun-Times
Sunday, February 9, 1992
Len Ziehm

Navratilova vs. Evert.

For 13 years, it was the greatest rivalry in women's sports - if not all of tennis.

Professional tennis hasn't been the same since Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert last met - in the Virginia Slims of Chicago final at the Pavilion on Nov. 13, 1988.

That was the first and only time the Pavilion sold out for tennis. It has been the site of the Slims for most of the tourney's 21-year history and also hosted seven tournament visits by the men pros and an exhibition that pitted two of the game's giants, Ivan Lendl and John McEnroe. But none of those could pack the place.

That last Navratilova-Evert match was played amid much hoopla, but it was a dud compared to many of their other meetings.

Navratilova needed just 63 minutes to beat Evert 6-2, 6-2.

The postmatch comments were typical of the sportsmanship the two exuded throughout their long rivalry for the coveted No. 1 ranking in the world.

"I enjoyed winning," Navratilova said, "but I'm not as exhilarated as I would have been if it was 7-5 in the third. It was not a thrilling match because I know Chris wasn't playing as well as she can."

"My opponent was just too good," Evert said. "She overpowered me. This is the fastest court on tour. That makes her serve a real weapon. I don't have a weapon on this court, and it's her best surface."

So ended a rivalry that saw Navratilova win 43 of the 80 meetings, including the last 15 on indoor courts.

Neither player knew then that they never would meet in a tournament again. They came within one match of what would have been a climax to their rivalry at the 1989 U.S. Open, but Zina Garrison beat Evert, who had long before announced that the Open would be her last tournament, in the quarterfinals.

Garrison commented on Evert's passing recently as she looked ahead to the Chicago Slims.

"Women's tennis is much stronger since she retired," Garrison said. "The only thing missing is the respect. That's not as good as it was for us when Chris was playing."

Garrison, who posted her only victory over Navratilova in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open the year before, was in tears when Evert, still ranked No. 4 in the world, waved goodbye with 18 Grand Slam titles (the same as Navratilova).

Evert also had 157 pro tournament victories. Navratilova can do one better this week in the 21st Chicago Slims.

Navratilova hasn't announced her retirement, but Garrison knows it's coming.

"It will be interesting without Martina," she said. "It's hard for the young players to understand that they're carrying our game."
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #352

Martina`s Path To Slims Title This Time Has Graf In The Way
February 09, 1992
Neil Milbert
Chicago Tribune

From Aug. 17, 1987, to March 10, 1991, Steffi Graf reigned as the world`s top-ranked women`s tennis player. This week, the 22-year-old native of Bruhl, Germany, will try to show Chicago why she was rated so high for so long.

Her showcase will be the Virginia Slims of Chicago, scheduled to begin Monday in the UIC Pavilion and continue through Feb. 16.

This is the first time in Graf`s career she has played in the Chicago tournament, which is being presented for the 21st time.

``I`m looking forward to coming to Chicago,`` said Graf. ``I`ve heard a lot of very good things about the tournament, and I know the city has a lot of museums and galleries that I`m anxious to visit.``

If one of her sources was Martina Navratilova, you had better believe the Windy City received a long-winded endorsement.

Defending champion Navratilova is one victory away from breaking the all- time record of 157 tournament victories she shares with Chris Evert, and 11 of those triumphs have come in the Chicago Slims.

Fortunately for Graf and Navratilova-but unfortunately for Chicago-area sports aficionados-the world`s No. 1-ranked player, Monica Seles, won`t be making the tennis scene here.

It was Seles who ended Graf`s record 186-week reign as the world`s top woman tennis player, a feat unprecedented in the sport. (Jimmy Connors is second on the longevity list at the top with a 159-week stint, from July 29, 1974 to Aug. 16, 1977.)

Now, Graf is ranked No. 2, but the German with the fabulous forehand remains part of the highest echelon in the world of sports. The defending Wimbledon champion is No. 16 on the Forbes list of the world`s highest-paid athletes. The only woman making more is Seles, who is No. 12.

Both Graf and Navratilova won major tournaments at the expense of Seles last year. Graf`s conquest came in the U.S. Hardcourts championship match. Navratilova did it in the 1991 Virginia Slims of California final, tying Evert`s all-time record in the process.

Navratilova`s career earnings in excess of $17 million make her the all-time leader in women`s tennis. Of that amount, $10,250 was earned in the first Chicago Slims Tournament in 1975 at the International Amphitheatre. She lost the singles championship match to Margaret Court but then teamed with Evert to win the doubles title.

Both the top-seeded Graf and second-seeded Navratilova, who is No. 4 in the Slimstat System world rankings, have first-round byes and won`t play until Wednesday.

Other players of world renown in the field are Jana Novotna (No. 10), Zina Garrison (No. 15), Gigi Fernandez (No. 18), Lori McNeil (No. 21) and Amy Frazier (No. 22).

Garrison was the Chicago Slims champion in 1989 after Navratilova defaulted. Last year in the Pavilion, she again was a finalist but lost to Navratilova in a rematch of the July 1990 championship at Wimbledon.

Next to Navratilova and Graf, the biggest name in the tournament is Pam Shriver. The tall right-hander with the powerful serve is No. 37 in the world rankings. Before suffering a shoulder injury in December 1989, she was ranked as high as No. 3 several times in the `80s.

Also competing are two local women making good on the world tour-Linda Harvey-Wild (No. 56) of Hawthorn Woods and Katrina Adams (No. 87) of Chicago. Harvey-Wild, who`ll celebrate her 21st birthday Tuesday, turned pro in this tournament as a qualifier in 1990 and upset No. 7-ranked Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in the first round. Last summer, the Lake Zurich High graduate upset Natalia Zvereva in the second round at Wimbledon. However, she then injured her left knee during a match with Laura Gildemeister.

``It had been raining for a week straight, and when Laura hit a drop shot, I hyperextended the knee going for it,`` said Harvey-Wild. ``I had to take a couple months off. All I could do was work out on a bike, riding with my arms and one leg.

``My therapist, Mindy Epstein, who had done work on Jim McMahon`s football injuries, worked with the leg and soft tissue. I was lucky-the knee isn`t giving me any problems.``

This year Harvey-Wild has played in three tournaments in Australia, including the Australian Open, twice reaching the second round.

To prepare for her homecoming, she has been working with her stepfather and coach, Steve Wild, at the Libertyville Racquet Club, concentrating on her serve.

``This is a fun tournament for me,`` she said. ``It`s nice to have a lot of support from my family and friends. But once I`m out there playing, it`s just another tournament. Like always, I`m just going out to do my best.``
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #353

Shriver hopes she has some good tennis left
Chicago Sun-Times
Monday, February 10, 1992
Len Ziehm

Pam Shriver, who should know, doesn't think there's any rush for Martina Navratilova to become the winningest player in tennis history.

Navratilova will be in the spotlight this week at the $350,000 Virginia Slims of Chicago. A 12th title in the 21-year-old tournament, which begins today at the Pavilion, would give Nav ratilova a record 158 singles crowns, one more than the retired Chris Evert.

"Chicago is a city Martina has dominated," said Shriver, who arrived with Navratilova late Sunday after they played an exhibition in Omaha, Neb. "Suddenly, with Steffi (Graf ) coming, it becomes tougher for her. Steffi adds a lot to the tournament."

Shriver, Navratilova's main doubles partner the last 13 years, thinks Navratilova, 35, will be on tour for many more years.

"A lot depends on her head," Shriver said. "As you get older, you become a little less tolerant. But Martina's still a threat wherever and whenever she plays.

"She is setting high goals, and I admire her for that. For the second half of 1991, she was co-No. 2 player in the world with Jennifer Capriati, and Martina honestly feels she can contend for No. 1 again."

Navratilova holds a No. 4 world ranking, the same Evert had when she retired at 34 after the 1989 U.S. Open.

Because of her rigorous training regimen, Shriver thinks Navratilova will play tournament tennis "at least

through the 1993 Wimbledon" and could continue into her 40s. That's good news for Shriver, too.

"Martina is the best I could hope for (as a doubles partner)," Shriver said.

They have been a dynamite team through the years, winning all four majors in the same year three times. In 1984-85, they won 109 consecutive matches before losing the Wimbledon final to Kathy Jordan and Liz Smylie.

Navratilova didn't always want Shriver, however. She questioned Shriver's dedication, and the two split up for most of 1988 and 1989.

In one of the most dramatic doubles matches ever, Shriver teamed with Natalia Zvereva to win the U.S. Open last year in their first tournament together.

"If I could capture one moment from last year, that would be it," Shriver said. It ranks even ahead of her victory with Navratilova in the season-ending Virginia Slims Championships, the biggest money event in women's tennis.

Shriver and Zvereva won their U.S. Open in September and talked about playing together again.

"In mid-October, she couldn't decide about the Championships, so it was Martina and me," Shriver said. "We had won six tournaments in a row until we lost the final at Tokyo (two weeks ago). It works out well."

Navratilova isn't the most desirable doubles partner these days because she plays in just two of the Grand Slam tourneys - Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

"But I'm easy because I don't play the French Open, either," Shriver said. "We'll probably play together eight or nine times this year."

Navratilova and Shriver need one more Grand Slam title to break a tie for most championships together. They have won 20, the same number as Margaret Osborne duPont and Louise Brough, who played during the 1940s.

Navratilova and Shriver will be a team this week in addition to bidding for the singles crown. Shriver, the Chicago Slims champion in 1984 - the year she reached a career-high No. 3 in the world rankings - is on the comeback trail.

"My goals are more modest than Martina's," said Shriver, who serves as the president of the Women's Tennis Association. "I haven't gotten to the semifinals in 20 months, and my ranking has been bouncing between 28 and 40.

"I'm looking to getting back into some semifinals and into the top 20."

Her career was slowed by shoulder surgery and a broken bone in her foot two years ago. The year before that, when she split with Navratilova, Shriver suffered from burnout.

"I worked my way through it," she said. "I would have regretted it dearly if I had quit then."

In Tokyo, she had eventual champion Gabriela Sabatini, the world's third-ranked player, down 4-1 in the third set before losing.

"I didn't gag," Shriver said. "She just started swinging away, and I got a little tentative. But I realized I could compete against the top players again.

"What's bothering me is my consistency, and that used to be one of my strong points. Now, in one match, my game can span the globe. That's annoying."

She fears the battle with injuries, for which she was sidelined for nine months and saw her rankings in singles and doubles drop into the 100s, has had a lingering effect.

"I lost something in my head and confidence," she said. "I haven't been the same player, but I didn't think I could be this happy and still be ranked 37th in the world. I still have frustrating moments, but I've had a great time on tour the last 12 months."
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #354

No Identification Needed For Navratilova At Slims
February 10, 1992
Neil Milbert
Chicago Tribune

When Martina Navratilova spent her first night in Chicago back in February 1975, she went to a Greek restaurant on Halsted Street. The Czech gift to the world of women`s tennis was intrigued at seeing Irish coffee and Dutch coffee on the menu.

Navratilova asked for the difference and was told, ``Irish coffee has Irish whiskey in it and Dutch coffee has rum or something.``

She ordered the Dutch coffee, only to be told she was too young to be served.

That unexpected service break is one of a precious few that Navratilova has experienced in Chicago since coming here to play in the inaugural Virginia Slims tournament 17 years ago.

The 1992 tournament begins Monday and finds Navratilova, 35, on the threshold of making history. She enters the Chicago Slims with 157 tournament wins, which ties her with Chris Evert for the all-time record.

Victory No. 157 came when she defeated the world`s top-ranked player, Monica Seles, in the Virginia Slims of California last fall. Since then, she has failed twice in her quest to gain sole possession of the record.

Using history and geography as a guide, Chicago may be the perfect place for it to happen. Navratilova has a first-round bye in this year`s tournament. ``I guess if I ever need a win, I`ll just create a tournament in Chicago,`` Navratilova said last year after she overwhelmed Zina Garrison 6-1, 6-2 in a championship match that lasted just 58 minutes.

Last year`s victory was her 11th in the Virginia Slims of Chicago. The last time she lost a match here was in 1976. The last time she lost a set was in 1982.

The only blemish in her Chicago Slims record over the last 15 years came in 1989 when she defaulted and Garrison went on to win.

From Navratilova`s perspective, however, the tournament that runs through Sunday afternoon is only a stepping stone.

``I am eager to regain the world`s No. 1 position,`` said Navratilova, currently fourth behind Seles, Steffi Graf and Gabriela Sabatini.``Because of my age, I have to choose my schedule very carefully.

``I am still good mentally and physically. If I play consistently, I will be No. 1 again. To win Wimbledon and the U.S. Open are my targets this season. ``I should be able to break the record. It`s not a record like consecutive match streak or consecutive Wimbledon titles where you only have one opportunity to do it and the pressure is enormous.

``Every time I play a tournament, I have a chance to break it. So it`s not tough.

``Of course,`` Navratilova jokingly added, ``I may break the record and then Chris may come out of retirement and win some other tournament somewhere else. Then we`ll keep going back and forth.``

As fate would have it, Navratilova won her first Chicago Slims championship when she teamed with Evert to take the 1975 doubles title.

In 1978, she captured her first Chicago Slims singles title by defeating Evonne Goolagong 6-7, 6-2, 6-2. Later that year, she won her first Grand Slam title at Wimbledon.

The stage was set and Navratilova went on to become the consensus choice as the world`s finest female athlete of the 1980s. Perhaps her greatest achievement of the decade was compiling the longest match winning streak in the history of women`s tennis in 1984, a string of 74 conquests.

The prior record was 55 straight matches set by Evert. In 1991, Navratilova also broke Evert`s record for singles match victories and now is in position to shatter Evert`s tournament record.

If it happens here, maybe she`ll go back to that Greek restaurant on Halsted Street and order a Dutch coffee to celebrate. This time they won`t ask to see her ID.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #355

Martina Turns Tiger When It Counts
Omaha World-Herald
Monday, February 10, 1992
Rich Kaipust

They're good friends and it was just an exhibition tennis match, but instinct took center court Sunday when the Healthy Choice Challenge went to crunch time.

Martina Navratilova overcame a 6-5 deficit in the final set to defeat Pam Shriver 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-3) before a City Auditorium crowd estimated at 3,900.

"I didn't want to give anything away," Navratilova said. "And I didn't."

The nine - time Wimbledon women's champion didn't let Shriver get to match point in the 12th game of the third set. At deuce for the second time, Navratilova froze Shriver with a backhand and then evened the set at 6 - 6 with a crosscourt winner.

Navratilova took control immediately in the tie-breaker. She got two shots past Shriver at the net for a 2-0 lead, then went ahead 4-0 when Shriver netted consecutive backhand shots. The left - hander won the match when Shriver was long on a backhand.

"I almost caught her," said Shriver. "That's the story of my life: almost."

Navratilova, 35, now owns victories in both Healthy Choice Challenges. She defeated Zina Garrison in last year's match.

"I was glad to come back and make it a personal touch rather than all of you having to watch (tennis) on TV," Navratilova told the crowd afterwards.

The Healthy Choice Challenge started with the City Auditorium lights off and the two participants - who have teamed for 20 Grand Slam doubles titles - entering in spotlights through a cloud of smoke. Navratilova's introduction lasted longer than just about every volley.

Navratilova, wearing all white with a pink headband, and Shriver, in a purple skirt and white top, played to the crowd during warmups. The first set also had its lighthearted moments, with Navratilova offering a line judge her glasses after a disputed call and Shriver throwing her racket at a ball that she couldn't get to.

Navratilova quickly showed she was interested in evening the match when she opened the second set with a perfect first game and then broke Shriver's serve in the second. She also broke her opponent in the sixth game for a 5-1 lead.

Shriver, 29, showed her frustration in that game by smashing a ball that soared nearly as high as the arena ceiling. In the final set, the Baltimore native smacked a ball into the second balcony.

Both players said in a pre - match press conference that winning was important.

"You can experiment a little bit, but it's still pretty much a match," Navratilova said. "You want to win. When push comes to shove you still go back to your bread - and - butter shots."

Shriver said the two veterans, who begin play in the Virginia Slims of Chicago today, owed it to the fans to go all out.

"Sometimes in an exhibition there are certain amounts of pressure because you want to make sure everybody leaves having seen good tennis," she said. "When you're really the one serious match - there's not match 2, match 3, match 4 to back you up - you get up for it. Definitely."

They saved their best tennis for the final set.

The hard - serving Shriver held serve for a 1-0 lead - closing out with an ace - before they broke each other's serve each of the next four games. Navratilova dominated the sixth game with an ace and three shots that Shriver couldn't reach and the set was tied 3-3.

But when it got down to it, after splitting the first two sets, they went full bore for an entertaining finish.

EXHIBITION NOTES: Shriver and former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Danny White teamed up to beat Navratilova and Omaha businessman Warren Buffett in a four-game celebrity doubles event. . . . White, celebrating his 40th birthday, wore his 1978 Super Bowl ring during the press conference and an Arizona Rattlers T-shirt for the match. He recently was named head coach of the Rattlers, an Arena Football team. . . . Nancy Lieberman-Cline, who organized the event along with Tom Thompson as ProMotion Events Inc., said they tried to bring in Jennifer Capriati but the star teen-ager could not commit early enough for them. . . . Navratilova, ranked No. 4 in the world, will try to break from a tie with Chris Evert when she goes for her 158th singles title in Chicago . . . . Shriver is ranked 37th. . . . Shriver on her doubles combination with Navratilova: "It's just about the best thing that could have happened. It was a little like winning the lottery. I still remember the phone call when it came." . . . Both players flew in and out of Omaha on Sunday. Navratilova was expected to go to dinner with Buffett before leaving. Pam Shriver...She has joined with Martina Navratlova to win 20 Grand Slam Doubles titles.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #356

No. 5 Seed Fernandez Falls
South African Fairbank-Nideffer Pulls Slims Upset
February 11, 1992
Neil Milbert
Chicago Tribune

Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer is ``embarrassed to say that I`m 105 or something`` in the world of women`s tennis.

A formal apology by the world`s 106th-ranked player took the form of a compelling upset victory Monday afternoon in the opening round of the Virginia Slims of Chicago tournament.

Playing the way she did when she was a fixture in the top 50, Fairbank-Nideffer defeated fifth-seeded Gigi Fernandez 6-4, 6-4.

Fernandez, who came to Chicago ranked 18th, left the Pavilion perplexed and perturbed.

``Rosalyn played really smart tennis,`` said Fernandez. ``She plays the kind of game that doesn`t give you any rhythm. She was either reading my serve well or guessing right. Her ranking should be a lot higher than it is.

``For me, it`s the worst officiating I ever played. But what happened had nothing to do with the line calls-it`s two different stories. My game was terribly off.``

Fairbank-Nideffer also had bones to pick with the line calls but her biggest beef was with the people who left her off the South African Olympic team.

``I`m the one who suffered through not being able to compete in other countries,`` said the 31-year-old tour veteran, who was 50th or better in the world rankings for 12 straight years. ``I carried the flag, so to speak. I`m not for apartheid.

``But I`ve grown up in the country and I`m proud of it. Now, just because my rankings are in a slump, they just dumped me.``

In Monday`s match, Fairbank-Nideffer immediately put the pressure on Fernandez.

In the opening game of the first set she easily broke her rushing 27-year-old opponent`s service by staying on the baseline, redirecting the forays and picking out-of-reach areas to deposit the ball.

Fairbank-Nideffer also won the second and third games and had little difficulty taking the set. Fernandez became increasingly flustered, questioning line calls and chastising herself.

Although she continued to have problems, Fernandez got more shots to fall in the second set and seemed on the verge of putting her game together.

Lady Luck then intervened on behalf of Fairbank-Nideffer. With the players tied in games 4-4 Fernandez trailed 30-40 but was at the net poised for an easy kill. Instead the ball ricocheted off the top of the net and became the game-winning point for Fairbank-Nideffer.

In the next game Fernandez unraveled and Fairbank-Nideffer wrapped up the match with a love game.

Highlighting the evening session was an overpowering victory by Linda Harvey-Wild of Hawthorn Woods. Using a serve that traveled at up to 97 miles per hour as her primary weapon, Harvey-Wild celebrated her 21st birthday by defeating Tami Whitlinger 6-1, 6-2.

- Top-seeded Steffi Graf will make her Slims of Chicago debut Tuesday at 7 p.m. when she plays Japan`s Rika Hiraki.

Martina Navratilova, the 11-time Chicago Slims champion, is scheduled to begin her quest for a record-breaking 158th tournament victory Wednesday night. She will play Halle Cioffi, who Monday eliminated Sonya Jeyaseelan 6-2, 6-1.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #357

Fernandez is ousted early
Chicago Sun-Times
Tuesday, February 11, 1992
Len Ziehm

The opening day Monday at the 21st Virginia Slims of Chicago was reminiscent of the infamous first round of 1990.

That year, unseeded Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer shocked Monica Seles, now the world's top-ranked player, and Linda Harvey-Wild stunned reigning French Open champion Aranxta Sanchez Vicario in her first tournament as a professional.

Fairbank-Nideffer was at it again Monday as she knocked off fifth-seeded Gigi Fernandez 6-4, 6-4 in a match filled with debated line calls.

The only other seeded player in action, sixth-seeded Lori McNeil, breezed past Elna Reinach 6-4, 6-2. Top-seeded Steffi Graf makes her debut tonight, and second-seeded Martina Navratilova, who is gunning for a record 158th tournament title, starts tomorrow.

Fernandez complained about "the worst officiating I've ever had" after her loss to Fairbank-Nideffer.

"It was pathetic for both of us," she said. "They deserve to be berated."

But she didn't think the officiating affected the outcome. Fairbank-Nideffer, who was making her 11th appearance in the Chicago Slims, played far above her No. 106 world ranking.

"This was a big win for me," Fairbank-Nideffer said, "but not as big as Seles. That was huge because my confidence was very low before that."

Fairbank-Nideffer was more angry than depressed after being bypassed as a member of South Africa's first Olympic team. Three players with higher world rankings were chosen ahead of her, including Reinach.

"I'm embarrassed by my ranking," Fairbank-Nideffer said. "I played really bad last year. I wasn't really motivated."

Fairbank-Nideffer was ranked in the top 40 for 10 years, and she thinks the South African Tennis Association should have taken that into account in picking its Olympians.

"I've been a top-ranked player for nine or 10 years," she said. "I suffered through not being able to compete in all the countries and the Federation Cup. I've carried the flag. Now, they've dumped me."
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #358

Harvey-Wild gives herself early gift
Chicago Sun-Times
Len Ziehm

Linda Harvey-Wild of Hawthorn Woods celebrated her 21st birthday a day early Monday.

Though she doesn't turn 21 until today, her family and a big gathering of friends had a birthday cake ready after she routed Tami Whitlinger 6-1, 6-2 to complete opening-day action at the Virginia Slims of Chicago at the UIC Pavilion.

Harvey-Wild didn't lose a point on her serve in the first set and put the match away in 56 minutes.

"I was praying so much," she said. "The first set, I played so well. I was hitting the lines and had some calls go my way. I had to attack her before she attacked me."

Last year, Harvey-Wild had about 70 relatives and friends in attendance for her birthday match at the Chicago Slims, but it turned out to be a first-round loss to Zina Garrison.

Garrison, the fourth seed, is Harvey-Wild's next opponent.

"Last year, my serve let me down," said Harvey-Wild, who made her pro debut at the Chicago Slims two years ago with an upset of Aranxta Sanchez Vicario. "I've been working on it a lot. Hopefully, I'll get some free points off my serve."

Despite Linda's dominance, though, all did not go well for the Wilds. Stepfather-coach Steve Wild, who owns the Libertyville Racquet Club, usually charts her matches.

This year, he planned to do it with a fancy new computer, but it wouldn't work.

"Dead batteries," he lamented.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #359

SOUTH AFRICAN KNOCKS OFF FERNANDEZ IN CHICAGO SLIMS
Seattle Post-Intelligencer
P-I News Services

Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer of South Africa scored a convincing 6-4, 6-4 first-round upset win over fifth-seeded Gigi Fernandez yesterday at the Virginia Slims of Chicago tournament.

Fairbank-Nideffer took an hour and 52 minutes to dispose of the world's 18th-ranked player, forcing Fernandez to hit several returns over the end line.

Fernandez lost the match with a wide return.

Ranked 102nd in the world after being as high as 22nd in 1989, Fairbank-Nideffer said she suspects her poor ranking may have disqualified her from representing her native South Africa in the 1992 Summer Olympics.

But, she said, ``I know I'm better than each of the players selected, and on a given day, I can beat each of the other three.''

In another upset, Japan's Rika Hiraki, No. 113 in the rankings, took 84 minutes to upend Australia's Anne Minter, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4.

Hiraki maintained her poise at the baseline, forcing Minter, No. 66 in the world, into numerous unforced errors.

The match ended in the 10th game of the third set when Minter failed to hold serve, losing a 12-point game when Hiraki hit a drop shot.

Hiraki is matched today against top-seeded Steffi Graf, a player she has never faced.

Also advancing to the second round were Halle Cioffi and Holland's Manon Bollegraf. Cioffi defeated Canada's Sonya Jeyaseelan, 6-2, 6-1, while Bollegraf disposed of South Africa's Mariaan De Swardt, 6-1, 6-2.

Cioffi, ranked 90th in the world, will face No. 2 seed, Martina Navratilova, the world's fourth best player in a second-round match tomorrow.

Navratilova will be seeking her 12th Chicago title.

Also advancing was Marianne Werdel, beating Audra Keller, 6-4, 6-1.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #360

Tennis
Houston Chronicle
Tuesday, FEBRUARY 11, 1992
Houston Chronicle News Services

McNeil cruises

CHICAGO -- Sixth-seeded Lori McNeil had too much experience and finesse for South Africa's Elna Reinach, winning 6-4, 6-2 in just 58 minutes at the Virginia Slims of Chicago tournament.

McNeil, No. 21 in the rankings, broke Reinach in the fifth and ninth games of the opening set and the third and seventh games of the second set.

"I put pressure by rushing her when I came to the net and I forced her to take something off her second serve," said McNeil.

In the last of seven singles matches, Linda Harvey-Wild made short work of Tami Whitlinger, winning 6-1, 6-2.

Fifth-seeded Gigi Fernandez, ranked No. 18, lost to Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer 6-4, 6-4.

Fernandez, rated 18th in the world, failed to hold serve twice in the opening set, breaking her opponent just once.

"She played more steady than I did," said Fernandez. "I didn't get a lot of first serves in."

Japan's Rika Hiraki, ranked 113th in the world, surprised Australia's Anne Minter, ranked 66th, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4. Hiraki faces top-seeded Steffi Graf today.

LINZ WOMEN'S TOURNAMENT at Linz, Austria - No. 7 Regina Rajchrtova of Czechoslovakia beat Isabel Cueto of Germany, 6-1, 6-1, and sixth-seeded Caterina Lindqvist of Sweden beat Katharina Bueche of Austria, 6-3, 6-0, in first-round action.

Yevgenia Mnyokova of the former Soviet Union beat Silke Frankl of Germany, 6-1, 6-1, while Catherine Tanvier of France beat Linda Ferrando of Italy, 6-2, 6-3. Pascale Paradis-Mangon of France beat Marion Maruska of Austria 6-3, 6-4.