1992 - Page 20 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #286
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1992

I just love reading these Ms Anthropic. I've got scrapbooks of British newspaper cuttings from the British Grass Seasons 1981-5, Brighton tournament, Wightman Cup, etc up in my loft - maybe I should think of typing those up sometime.

Titles (6) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #287
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just love reading these Ms Anthropic. I've got scrapbooks of British newspaper cuttings from the British Grass Seasons 1981-5, Brighton tournament, Wightman Cup, etc up in my loft - maybe I should think of typing those up sometime.
Please do when you have time Adey

Could you perhaps start with 1983? This would fit in with my plans to celebrate the 10 year anniverseries.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #288
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
This would fit in with my plans to celebrate the 10 year anniverseries.
Oh dear. I am a-feared that at the rate I'm going it will be 2014 before I get around to 1993 and what little I can produce from 1983.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #289

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

RANKED 150TH, SHE NEARLY HAD SELES' NUMBER
Sun-Sentinel
Monday, June 1, 1992
JIM SARNI

PARIS -- Akiko Kijimuta of Japan had no business being here. Not in the fourth round of the French Open, much less leading Monica Seles 4-1 in the third set.

But there she was, the 150th-ranked upstart, two games from beating the No. 1 player, the two-time defending French Open champion.

Incredible in any language.

But two games are two games. Kijimuta could not run out the clock or hold onto the ball.

Seles restored sanity by winning the final five games to reach the quarterfinals at rainy Roland Garros on Sunday.

Seles was joined there by Steffi Graf, Gabriela Sabatini and Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, the next three seeds, who won with customary ease.

Graf stopped Jana Novotna (10) 6-1, 6-4; Sabatini smashed Patricia Hy 6-3, 6-1; and Sanchez humbled Kimiko Date (14) 6-1, 6-2.

Natalia Zvereva also advanced to the last eight with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Sabine Hack. Two matches were suspended by rain. Conchita Martinez (7) led Leila Meskhi (15) 6-4, 5-all and Nathalie Tauziat (12) was tied with Manon Bollegraf 4-6, 6-1, 1-all.

Jennifer Capriati (5) and Mary Pierce never got onto the court. They lead off today's program on Center Court.

''At 4-1, I was thinking maybe I can win, and I got nervous,'' said Kijimuta, 24, who entered the French Open with a 2-12 record this year. ''Maybe that is what changed.''

Kijimuta, who won three three-setters to get to the fourth round, changed back into No. 150. Instead of ripping winners on the lines, Kijimuta, who hits the ball two-handed off both sides, like Seles, missed wide and long, muffed drop shots and double-faulted.

''I felt that if she has this much luck and she is playing this well, she is better and deserves to win,'' said Seles, who crushed Kijimuta 6-2, 6-0 at the Australian Open in January. ''I thought that if I hung in there, had some long rallies, she would tire and the luck would come my way and change the momentum.''

It did. Seles broke for 4-2 on her fourth break point. Seles then held at love ... broke again at 30 ... held at 15 .. and broke a final time at 30. Kijimuta double-faulted twice in the last game.

''I felt my serve certainly pulled me out on the key points after 4-1,'' Seles said. ''I said, 'Hey, it's 4-2, 4-3, if I keep going like this, I'm out of here.'''

Kijimuta asked twice that the match be stopped at 5-4 but was told to play on in the rain. The match was halted for nearly three hours when heavy showers hit just after Kijimuta won the second set.

''The rain didn't come at the best time, but I really wanted to continue, win or lose,'' Seles said. ''They never cancel these matches until 9:30 p.m. I wanted to finish one way or the other.''

Seles had lost only seven games in her first seven sets before Kijimuta took the second set, breaking at 4-2.

''After the first set, she started hitting some of her forehands inside out and it was pretty wild,'' Seles said. ''She hit the lines or came very close. I could not find the type of game I wanted to play against her, so she couldn't hit those shots. I had so many chances to win in the second set, and it kept bothering me that I wasn't taking advantage of them.''

Crazy things seem to happen to Seles on the way to her French Open championships. Seles went three sets with Helen Kelesi and Manuela Maleeva in 1990. Last year, Sandra Cecchini took the first set from Seles in the round of 16.

And of course, who can forget that Seles lost her last Grand Slam match to that immortal Italian, Linda Ferrando, in the third round of the 1990 U.S. Open.

This time, Seles held up. Seles awaits the winner of Capriati-Pierce in Tuesday's quarterfinals.

Kijimuta, who took Martina Navratilova to three sets at the 1988 Australian Open, was delighted in defeat.

''I am not angry, I am happy even if I lost,'' she said. ''I played very well.''
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #290

Seles, on Ropes, Escapes When Kijimuta Falters
June 01, 1992
ELLIOTT ALMOND
LOS ANGELES TIMES

PARIS — Akiko Kijimuta's shots were falling like the rain above, and Monica Seles was about to fall with them.

Kijimuta, a two-handed Japanese slugger who is ranked No. 150, broke the world's top-ranked woman three times during the third set of their fourth-round Sunday, putting her in position to topple the defending French Open champion at Roland Garros Stadium.

Leading by 4-1 and serving, Kijimuta, from Kanagawa, had everything going her way. Then she began to think about what was happening.

"I got nervous," she said.

Kijimuta lost her rhythm and let Seles escape with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-4 victory that will be remembered not for the way Seles rallied, but for the way Kijimuta wilted.

It was by far Seles' toughest match in this Grand Slam event. Before Sunday, Seles had not lost more than two games in any set in three victories.

As Seles charged back with an all-or-nothing attack, rain began falling on Court 1. It did not seem to bother Seles, who said she wanted to finish the match, win or lose.

Kijimuta, however, wanted to stop. She said she appealed to the umpire twice, but was told to keep playing.

So she played, missing more and more shots, feeling the moment slip away. By the time Seles took a 5-4 lead, Kijimuta was all but through. She fell behind 0-30 on her serve before settling into rallies that forced Seles' errors to tie, 30-30.

Then she made the kind of mistake that could haunt her for some time--she double-faulted to make it match point. Seles then sent a cross-court shot beyond Kijimuta's reach.

"It was a little bit of pressure on me," Kijimuta said.

Said Seles: "It was pretty wild. I could just not find the type of game I wanted to play against her."

Having played Kijimuta before, Seles thought she would not fold.

After five games of the third set, no one watching would have disagreed. But during the sixth game, Seles broke Kijimuta for the second time, and it was apparent she would not give in.

Still, Kijimuta kept up the two-handed forehand punch. After Kijimuta saved a break point with an unreachable shot on the deep corner line, Seles raised her hands and shrugged.

"She just hit some shots I really didn't expect her to hit," Seles said.

Seles moves into the quarterfinals, where she will meet the winner of today's rain-delayed Jennifer Capriati-Mary Pierce match.

In other women's matches Sunday, No. 2 Steffi Graf of Germany defeated No. 11 Jana Novotna of Czechoslovakia, 6-1, 6-4; No. 3 Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina defeated Patricia Hy of Canada, 6-3, 6-1, and No. 4 Arantxa Sanchez Vicario of Spain eliminated Kimiko Date of Japan, 6-1, 6-2, and No. 28 Natalia Zvereva of Belarus beat Sabine Hack of Germany, 6-3, 6-3.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #291

TENNIS; On the Edge of No Return, Seles Storms Back to Gain
ROBIN FINN
June 1, 1992
New York Times

PARIS, May 31— Just when she seemed on the verge of falling through the trap door set by Akiko Kijimuta of Japan, the two-time defending French Open champion instead closed the door on a challenger who, with her naturally black hair and unnaturally double-fisted groundstrokes, looked suspiciously like her.

Monica Seles squinted across the net at her mirror image, felt insulted by the challenge and squelched it.

Down by 4-1 in the third set after giving up the second set to the 150th-ranked Kijimuta -- the first time in Seles's career she had allowed such a liberty to such an underling -- Seles poured on the killer instinct and rallied for a 6-1, 3-6, 6-4 victory that sent her into the quarterfinals.

The victory improved her record to 23-1 at the French Open, where she reached the semifinals in 1989 and reigned as champion in 1990 and 1991.

Stroke of Luck?

"I don't know if it was by luck or whatever," Seles said of the final set's momentum, "but it changed."

And the sea change on this rainy day occurred with a vengeance, which is precisely the way Seles played the second half of the final set.

In a match in which every point hinged on an impossibly angled winner, Seles shrugged off the 0-3 third-set deficit she fell into after dropping the second set; stepped up the ferocity of her serves and strokes, and overwhelmed Kijimuta.

The tables turned in the moment where, with Seles trailing by 1-4 in the final set, Kijimuta realized she had a chance to depose the world's top player and Seles simultaneously decided she didn't want to lose.

"I think I began to think maybe I can win her, so I am getting nervous," said the 24-year-old Kijimuta, who had never before reached a Grand Slam round of 16 and today achieved her finest result in six visits to Paris.

Smiling in Defeat

"I am happy even if I lost," said Kijimuta, who double-faulted twice in the final game and twice had her pleas for another rain delay turned down by the umpire.

The second instance of flawed serves, later referred to by the winner as a "choke," granted Seles a match point on which she set herself up with a barrage of forehands and then whipped a crosscourt backhand winner to finish Kijimuta off.

Seles, who first encountered Kijimuta's eerily familiar double-handed strokes in the course of repeating as this year's Australian Open champion, was properly grateful for the double-faults.

"She has a pretty big determination," Seles said. "She's not a player who's really going to choke. I had to go for it, to win."

White Flag Goes Up

Seles broke Kijimuta in the fourth game to prevent herself from falling behind, 4-0, and she commenced the comeback in earnest by breaking her again in the sixth game, where the underdog fended off three break points but surrendered at last by chopping her drop shot into the net.

Seles held at love with an ace for 4-3, then broke Kijimuta again to tie the set 4-4 and give herself a momentum her challenger couldn't detour.

"I'll just try to forget about today's match," said Seles, whose opponent for the quarterfinals is guaranteed to be another hard hitter: the survivor of the postponed round of 16 match between between Jennifer Capriati, the player who stopped Seles's 21-final, 27-match winning streak in March, and 15th-ranked Mary Pierce.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #292

KIJIMUTA SAYS NEXT TIME SHE'LL KNOW TO GO OVER UMPIRE'S HEAD
The Deseret News
Monday, June 1, 1992
Terril Jones, Associated Press Writer

Next time, she'll know.

Akiko Kijimuta of Japan, who came within two games of ousting defending champion Monica Seles from the French Open Sunday, said her biggest lesson was learning to go over the umpire's head to stop a match for rain.

Twice during her fourth-round loss to the world's No. 1-ranked women's player, she asked umpire Michel Perrot to stop play because of the rain, which had already halted play on other courts. Twice Perrot refused.

"I didn't know what to do,'' she said. "He seemed to want to keep playing.''

Having split the first two sets 1-6 and 6-3, Kijimuta served at 4-1, but dropped the next five games to Seles.

She had asked to stop when she was ahead 4-3 and behind 4-5. She didn't know she could have taken her request beyond Perrot.

Asked what her biggest lesson from the match was, she replied, "When rain starts, I have to call the referee.''

Kijimuta, who like Seles plays with two-handed forehands and backhands, said she couldn't predict what would have happened if the match actually had been postponed.

The 24-year-old from Tokyo had a small contingent of fans among the dozen or so Japanese reporters here. They applauded when she entered the interview room.

"I wanted to go out to the court to cheer her on,'' said Tadahiro Yoshimatsu of the Nikkan Sports newspaper, who punched the air with his fist at nearly every point Kijimuta won from Seles. His Tokyo paper extended its deadline two hours to wait for the match's outcome.

"If she had won, it would have been huge news in Japan,'' said Tatsuya Iida, editor-in-chief of Tennis Journal, one of five Japanese tennis magazines. "There aren't any top Japanese players yet, but there's a lot of interest in Japan.''

Kijimuta, ranked No. 4 in Japan and 150th in the world, was the last Japanese in the tournament, but not the only successful one.

Kimiko Date also reached the fourth round before losing to fourth-seeded Arantxa Sanchez Vicario 6-1, 6-2. Date's third-round victim was fellow Japanese Mana Endo.

Kijimuta acknowledged she had probably played the game of her life, but said she's still kicking herself about blowing her big lead.

"I thought I might win when I was ahead 4-1,'' she said. "I really wanted to make it 5-1, and I got too tense. That was the biggest shame.''
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #293

SELES ROCKY
Miami Herald, The (FL)
Monday, June 1, 1992
STEPHEN WILSON, Associated Press

Monica Seles had a close encounter with herself at the French Open Sunday.

Or almost herself. Japan's Akiko Kijimuta, 24, who imitates Seles' two-fisted ground strokes and high-pitched grunts, treated the top-seeded player to a dose of her own medicine and nearly scored the biggest upset of the week-old tournament.

Ranked No. 150 and sporting only a 2-12 match record this year, the unheralded Kijimuta was not supposed to threaten the two-time French champion. But she paid no attention to the odds and, whacking forehand after forehand to both corners, jumped to a 4-1 lead in the third set.

Then, in a steady drizzle and with thunder sounding over Stade Roland Garros, she suddenly succumbed to a rash of nerves and virtually handed Seles a fourth-round victory, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4.

"It was pretty wild," a relieved Seles said. "After the first set, she really started to hit those forehands. She hit some shots that I did not expect. I was surprised, there is no question."

On the men's side, Andrei Medvedev, 17, became the latest casualty of top-seeded Jim Courier, whose effortless triumphs have cast an intimidating spell over Roland Garros. Sunday Courier pummeled the No. 175-ranked qualifier, 6-1, 6-4, 6-2, in the fourth round.

Courier's victory provided some needed calm after Saturday's stormy third round claimed five seeds. Only one seed, No. 7 Petr Korda, remains in the bottom half of the men's draw.

The women's draw -- Seles' scare notwithstanding -- has gone to form.

Seles' narrow escape (she had never lost a set to a player ranked as low as Kijimuta) was the only excitement on a day again plagued by rain.

After a brief rain delay, Kijimuta moved out to leads of 3-0 and 4-1 in the third set. But then she seemed to lose her nerve.

"I started to think maybe I can beat her," Kijimuta said. "So I started getting nervous and she started to play very well."

Kijimuta double faulted twice in the last game, including at 30-30 to go down match point. "She choked," said Seles, who cracked a backhand winner on the next point to end the match.

The other top women's seeds rolled into the quarterfinals. Second-seeded Steffi Graf beat No. 10 Jana Novotna, 6-1, 6-4; third-seeded Gabriela Sabatini, a Key Biscayne resident, waltzed by Patricia Hy, 6-3, 6-1; and Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, seeded fourth, defeated Kimiko Date, the 14th seed, 6-1, 6-2.

With rain falling on and off all afternoon and evening, there was virtually no chance for any major upsets Sunday.

On paper, the matchup between Courier and Medvedev was one of the most intriguing so far of the tournament. But Courier was not about to fall victim to Saturday's rash of upsets.

"He is on a higher level than the other players," Medvedev said. "He is playing like a machine. He doesn't miss. He is such a great fighter. He is so confident. He is fast. He is cool. He is mentally tough.

"You feel like an idiot because you are just playing against a wall and the ball keeps coming back faster than you hit it. I can't explain it. It's a feeling. You can't win against this guy."

Courier, who has a 20-match winning streak, said he has improved considerably since winning last year's French.

"I'm feeling fitter and I'm playing a little smarter," he said. "I'm more difficult to beat now."
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #294

Seles refuses to join upset list Trailing 4-1 in third set, she advances
USA TODAY
Monday, June 1, 1992
Doug Smith

PARIS - Week 2 of the French Open began Sunday with more rain postponements but no upsets to follow Saturday's epidemic - although defending champion Monica Seles received a huge scare.

The second week began without No. 2 Stefan Edberg, No. 4 Michael Stich and No. 5 Michael Chang, all ousted Saturday.

Seles, trailing 4-1 in the final set, won the last five games, hitting blistering groundstrokes to overtake Japan's Akiko Kijimuta 6-1, 3-6, 6-4 in a steady drizzle.

``She is not the player who is going to choke on any of the points and start missing, so I had to go for it,'' Seles said. ``I felt my serve pulled me out on the key points.''

Kijimuta, No. 150, was on the verge of a stunning upset when she began thinking instead of attacking.

``I think I began to think maybe I can win,'' she said. ``So I am getting nervous; maybe that is the change.''

Men's defending champion Jim Courier gained a quarterfinal berth by defeating Andrei Medvedev 6-1, 6-4, 6-2. He next plays Goran Ivanisevic, who defeated Carlos Costa 6-3, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1.

Of playing Ivanisivec, Courier said: ``He is obviously playing very well; I am playing very well. We will see what happens.''

No. 2 Steffi Graf, No. 3 Gabriela Sabatini and No. 4 Arantxa Sanchez Vicario also are in the quarterfinals.

In suspended matches, Andre Agassi led Emilio Sanchez 6-1, 6-3, 1-1, and No. 8 Conchita Marinez led Leila Meskhi 6-4, 5-5.

No. 5 Jennifer Capriati vs. No. 13 Mary Pierce and No. 3 Pete Sampras vs. Carl-Uwe Steeb were among the matches postponed and rescheduled for today.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #295

Graf thriving without spotlight
USA TODAY - Monday, June 1, 1992
Author: Doug Smith

PARIS - The spotlight for the French Open women mainly has been on Monica Seles, the hard-hitting, two-time defending champion with the recently recolored hairdo.

That's to be expected because Seles, No. 1 in the world, is the reigning force on the Kraft Tour and has won the last four grand slams she has played.

It also is to the liking of No. 2 Steffi Graf, who moved quietly into the quarterfinals Sunday, playing with the patience and intensity of a former champion out to regain her crown.

Graf, 22, the 1987-88 French Open champion, defeated Czechoslovakia's Jana Novotna 6-1, 6-4. Graf led 6-1, 5-1, performing flawlessly until impatience put a quirk in her racket swing the final three games.

"I definitely wanted to get it over with, especially because she started to play really well, from 5-1 to 5-4,'' Graf said. "I didn't play like that in the beginning, but still, she was the one who took that one advantage and tried to come in and tried to do things. So yeah, I wanted to get it done.''

Graf next faces Nathalie Zvereva, whom she beat 6-0, 6-0 in the French final in 1988 - the year she became the fifth player to win the grand slam (Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open in the same calendar year). She was No. 1 for a record 186 consecutive weeks.

Graf was deprived of winning a record back-to-back grand slams by Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, who claimed the 1989 French Open title, rallying to defeat the German 7-6, 3-6, 7-5 in the final.

With No. 4 Sanchez beating Japan's Kimiko Date 6-1, 6-2 Sunday, they are on a collision course for a return engagement at Roland Garros in Thursday's semifinals. Graf has won their last three meetings and leads the series 13-2. Both losses, however, occurred at the French Open - including a 6-0, 6-2 thrashing in last year's semifinals.

Graf, 22, dismisses last year's losing battle with the 20-year-old Spaniard as a bad day in June, something she says is not apt to happen again soon.

"I haven't really looked back to that match,'' she said. "It is something I put aside right away because there was nothing that I could do that day. You have those days and they come rarely. That is good, but when you have them, there is not really much else you can do. I tried to put the ball on the court and it didn't work, so what else can you do?''

Graf often figures out what to do when Seles is on the other side of the net. She leads the series 5-2 and has won the last two meetings. Seles last defeated Graf in the 1990 French Open final.

On Graf, Seles said, "She's just very tough, very strong physically. That's why she was No. 1 in the world for such a long time.''
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #296

Sabatini ends Hy's open bid
The Hamilton Spectator
Monday, June 1, 1992
FROM SPECTATOR WIRE SERVICES

Patricia Hy's run at the French Open tennis championships was abruptly halted yesterday by Gabriela Sabatini.

Sabatini, the women's third seed, swept Hy 6-3, 6-1 to move into the quarterfinals. The Argentine, one of a handful of powerful favorites who could claim the women's title at the Grand Slam event next Saturday, added Hy, of Richmond Hill, in a one-hour and six-minute match on show court No. 1 at the Roland Garros stadium.

Hy didn't make it easy. Her tactic of attacking Sabatini's serve and moving the third seed around the court paid partial dividends.

"I wanted to take advantage of her serve," Hy said. "The other times I played her, I've just pooped the return over.

"I think it (the tactic) worked because she started to hit harder, she missed a couple and she got a bit jittery. I wanted to make her run, I didn't want to just rally, because she can stay out there all day long.

"I thought I did pretty well at that."

The fourth-round loss was the Cambodia-born Hy's best showing in a Grand Slam tournament and bodes well for her chances at Wimbledon on grass, one of her favorite surfaces.

"We were close in the first set," said Hy, who broke Sabatini back in the fifth game of the opener after losing her own serve in the second game. "I didn't start very fast, but I finally got the momentum going, hitting the balls on the court.

Hy, ranked 48th in the world, lost a key serve in the sixth game of the first set to give Sabatini a 4-2 margin. The Canadian saved a set point, but her Argentine opponent took the lead on her next opportunity.

Hy lost serve to begin the second set and fell behind 0-3. But the Canadian broke back for 1-3 before losing serve in the next game for 1-4.

Sabatini, sensing victory, won the sixth game to love for 5-1 and advanced to the quarterfinals with a backhand winner.

"I'm disappointed to lose, but you can always learn from it," said Hy, who has lost six straight meetings to Sabatini. "It's just another one down to Gaby.

"But of all the matches that I've played against her, I thought that this was by far the best."

Hy's departure leaves Jill Hetherington of Peterborough and Toronto's Glenn Michibata as Canada's lone survivors. Hetherington has reached the third round in women's doubles with American Kathy Rinaldi, and faces a third- round match in mixed doubles alongside Michibata.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #297

ITF BAN HAS NO BEARING ON SELES
Sun-Sentinel
Monday, June 1, 1992
JIM SARNI

PARIS -- The International Tennis Federation suspended Yugoslavia from team competitions, following United Nations sanctions against the country, but the ruling does not affect Monica Seles' status at the French Open .

''We must make a difference between national teams and individual players in a sport,'' said Patrice Clerc, the French Open tournament director. ''The French Open is composed of individuals. They in no way represent their country. When you have the nation represented next to the name of a player, it is only for the information of the media and the public.''

Clerc said that there have been similar cases involving South African players.

The ITF said that Yugoslavia would be banned from the Davis and Federation Cups, as well as other team competitions such as the junior Sunshine and Continental Cups in Delray Beach.

The ITF said that the International Olympic Committee would determine the status of players in the Olympics this summer.

Because she refused to play for Yugoslavia in the 1991 Federation Cup, Seles is not eligible for the Olympics.

Seles would not answer questions about the Yugoslavian situation.

"I'm here to play tennis and I don't want to talk about anything else," she said.

--

Croatian Goran Ivanisevic on the U.N. sanctions: ''You have to do this thing to them because they are never going to stop, so now they are going to think a little bit. I know the sportsmen didn't do anything wrong, but Serbia is fighting so they have to suffer for that.''

--

Natalia Zvereva was a nervous 17-year-old girl when she played Steffi Graf in the 1988 French Open final. Zvereva's nerves showed, as Graf embarrassed her 6-0, 6-0.

Older and hopefully wiser, Zvereva will take on Graf again, this time in the quarterfinals.

''That was a long time ago,'' said Boca Raton's Juan Nunez, Zvereva's coach. ''Natalia has been playing great, and I think she will play well against Graf.''

Zvereva, who defeated Sabine Hack 6-3, 6-3 Sunday, has not lost a set in four matches.

Graf, who defeated Jana Novotna 6-1, 6-4 Sunday, is 8-0 against Zvereva, but they have not played since Amelia Island in 1991.

--

Vincent Spadea of Boca Raton and Brian Dunn of Brandon are playing the French Open juniors. Dunn defeated Erik Casas of Mexico 6-2, 6-2 in the first round Sunday. Spadea did not play... Chanda Rubin of Lafayette, La., who is playing on the women's tour, is entered in the junior girls. Rubin is the top seed.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #298

TENNIS; Teen-Agers on Center Court, Fathers on Center Stage
ROBIN FINN
May 31, 1992
New York Times

PARIS, May 30— Each is the apple of her father's eye, a reflection of his dedication and devotion, a monument to his belief that he has made all the right moves, pulled all the right strings and created a one-woman tennis dynasty.

Stefano Capriati, father of 16-year-old Jennifer, and Jim Pierce, father of 17-year-old Mary, are their daughters' perennial coaches and unofficial shadows. They carry the racquets, broker the million-dollar deals, worry about the rankings and don't always remember that the youngsters they have groomed for greatness might have teen-age agendas of their own.

In the gossipy and second-guess-filled tennis world, the fathers, neither one a shrinking violet, have become as famous as the daughters.

Friends in Florida

Back in Florida a decade ago, they traded training tips, and because Mary and Jennifer played in different ago groups -- with Jennifer doing the equivalent of skipping two grades -- they could be friendly rivals for the same pie in the sky.

Their roads diverged three years ago, but after each posted victories today, the sixth-ranked Capriati, the phenomenon who set tennis on its ear in 1990, and the 15th-ranked Pierce, the power hitter who has had to live down her father's reputation before getting a chance to develop her own, are meeting for the first time as professionals Sunday in the fourth round of the French Open.

Will the fathers remain on the sideline for this one?

Their daughters, particularly Pierce, surely hope so.

The Capriati clan settled in Florida and enjoyed the good graces of the United States Tennis Association, along with multimillion-dollar attention from a host of corporate sponsors, while the Pierce family, feeling ostracized, relocated to France, birthplace of Mary's mother. But their ponytailed offspring have plenty in common.

Lately, Capriati and Pierce, the players, have engaged in a cold war against Capriati and Pierce, the tennis dads. The players want less intervention and more independence; the dads insist they're trying to oblige.

"Mary is hard on me; I've seen her refuse to play a point just because she's mad at me, but I don't mind so long as she's as hard on the girls she plays as she is on me," said Pierce, who has also been chastised by the Women's Tennis Association for his inability to keep quiet in the stands and earlier this week had a brief punching match with two Dutch spectators who baited him during his daughter's doubles match.

"And Jennifer's been doing the same thing, kicking her father's butt a little," said Pierce.
The Thrill Is Gone

Capriati's Cinderella story has been well documented; a professional at 13, she was a millionaire at 14, the youngest semifinalist in the history of both the French and the United States Opens, a cheerful child who has, in the last six months, suffered from separation anxiety when the circuit has taken her away from her schoolmates.

Pierce's tale is stranger still. Unable to get along with the U.S.T.A., which gave Jim Pierce the cold shoulder while embracing the Capriatis, her family moved to the south of France outside Nice at the request of the French federation.

In the last year, Pierce has done some catching up with Capriati. Now ranked a career-high 15th, she has a major contract with Ellesse, is negotiating with Mercedes-Benz and has won her first title.

"There's a little lack of confidence, but that comes with maturity, and once she's got it, she's RoboCop," said Jim Pierce. "The way Seles is dominating now is how Mary will dominate in the 90's."

Jennifer Capriati was delighted today to hear that Mary Pierce thought of their match as "the biggest one" of her career so far: "That's nice of her; I'll have to be on my toes."

Mary Pierce said she has never harbored jealousy toward her splashier contemporary. "It didn't matter if I did it as quickly as her," Pierce said of her climb toward the top.

Both players predicted an exciting match; neither father wanted to predict who would win it.

"I can remember going over to Stefano one day before Jennifer played and telling him it looked like she'd have an easy time," said Pierce, "and he looked at me and said, 'Oh, no, don't ever say that. You don't know what a woman is going to do out on the court until it's over.' "

MATCH POINTS

Top-ranked MONICA SELES stayed on course in her pursuit of a third consecutive French Open championship by blitzing LORI McNEIL, 6-0, 6-1. The last woman to capture three consecutive titles here was Hilde Sperling in 1935-37. AKIKO KIJIMUTA of Japan, ranked 150th, drew the dubious honor of facing Seles in the Round of 16 on Sunday. GABRIELA SABATINI, seeded third, overwhelmed JULIE HALARD of France, 6-1, 6-3, to advance against PATRICIA HY of Canada. Fourth-seeded ARANTXA SANCHEZ VICARIO faces KIMIKO DATE of Japan, the only player outside the top 10 to defeat her in 1992, and second-seeded STEFFI GRAF will confront 10th-seeded JANA NOVOTNA.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #299

Jim Pierce was a real specimen...

Capriati: Reunion with junior rival to be tough
USA TODAY
Monday, June 1, 1992
Doug Smith

PARIS - Jennifer Capriati, the No. 5 seed, and No. 13 Mary Pierce - rivals years ago in the USTA 12-and-under division - meet for the first time as pros today on Center Court in the French Open.

The winner faces defending champion Monica Seles in Tuesday's quarterfinals.

``It's a very exciting match, a very big match for me,'' said Pierce, 17, who has lived in France the last two years. ``I'm looking forward to it.''

Capriati, 16, who vaguely remembers playing Pierce when both lived in Florida, expects a tough time.

``She hits the ball hard and likes to play fast tennis,'' Capriati said. ``If she gets on top of you, she can get on that roll. I just have to be on my toes.''

Also keeping her on her toes: painful foot blisters that hampered her in a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 third-round victory against Karina Habsudova of Czechoslovakia.

Capriati, the most talented junior in U.S. Tennis Association history, won several major girls 18 titles at 12 and turned pro at 13. She is ranked No. 6.

Pierce, ranked No. 15, made a less auspicious pro debut a year earlier. When the USTA decided not to back Pierce's development because of squabbles with her father, Jim, the Pierces moved to France.

``When I left the States, I really didn't have anybody to practice with,'' Pierce said. ``I was just with my brother (David) and my father on public courts. When I came here, it was great; they supplied everything for me.''

Her father has come under fire for being too critical during her matches.

``We have talked about it a lot,'' she said. ``He doesn't try to do it to upset me or mess up my concentration or anything; he is really into the match and gets excited.''

On berating his daughter after losses, Jim Pierce said, ``The only time I'm hard on her is when she doesn't give 100 percent.''
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #300

Steroid claims gain some notice
St. Petersburg Times -
Tuesday, June 2, 1992
DARRELL FRY

John McEnroe has been known to run off at the mouth mainly when he's arguing with a umpire. But this time Chris Evert backs him up.

That's why many people around the pro tour still are talking about Evert and McEnroe's comments on steroid use among tennis pros. Some people were surprised by the claims, but even Steffi Graf said she's played against opponents who were on steroids.

"We've heard that before, different guys using steroids,'' said Butch Heffernan, who runs Grand Slam Tennis University in Tampa and has worked with pros Martina Navratilova, Chris Garner, Shaun Stafford and Jimmy Brown. "I'd say there are a half-dozen to 20 players'' using steroids on the two pro tours.

Tom Gullikson, coach of the U.S. Tennis Association's touring pros program, doesn't believe steroid use is prevalent on the tour.

"I've never seen any player take a performance-enhancing drug. There have been rumors about players taking drugs, but maybe they're just that - rumors,'' he said. "If it's happening at all, it's a very, very small percentage.

"I don't think it's a huge problem.''

McEnroe and Evert also attacked the drug-testing systems of the men's and women's tours, saying they needed to be more comprehensive. ATP Tour and WTA officials say the systems are comprehensive even though they use the word "random.''

ATP Tour officials say the top 20 male pros are tested for drugs at least twice a year and 70 of the top 100 pros are tested at least once a year. The WTA conducts random tests at one to three tournaments each year, but only about 35 percent of the players at these events are tested.

Evert and McEnroe said more money should be spent on drug testing and that the four semifinalists of every major tournament should be tested at that event.

Said ATP Tour official Peter Alfano: "We're not going to sit here and say that no one has ever taken drugs or steroids in tennis. (But) we're pretty much drug-free. We don't have a drug problem.''

Pierce brawl: Part-time Tampa resident Mary Pierce may have lost in the fourth round of the French Open to Jennifer Capriati on Monday, but her father, Jim, won the fight. Jim Pierce got into a scuffle with three spectators the other day during one of Mary's mixed-doubles matches with Saddlebrook pro Jared Palmer.

The spectators, Jim Pierce said, were heckling Mary.

"I hit one sucker in the jaw and knocked him three rows back,'' Pierce said by telephone from Paris.

Veteran tennis coach Juan Nunez witnessed the fight and loudly announced, "I've got 50 bucks on Pierce.''

No one was seriously injured, and although Pierce and Palmer lost the second set when the scuffle occurred, they won the match. Jim Pierce, who has been jokingly called "Mike Tyson'' this week, said he has no plans to start a boxing career.

Speaking of Pierce: Mary Pierce has a new hitting partner who travels on the tour with her. He's Alberto Ciampi. Also, Pierce received France's Prix Bourgeon Award, which is sort of like the rising star award. Past winners of the award include Anke Huber, Fabrice Santoro, Monica Seles and Michael Chang.

Going for the money: Brandon junior star Brian Dunn will turn pro later this year instead of attending college.
Dunn, who's competing in the junior portion of the French Open this week, originally had planned to play for the University of Florida.