1992 - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #166
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

KRAJICEK KNOCKS THE WOMEN BEFORE LOSING IN 5-SET UPSET
Daily News of Los Angeles
Saturday, June 27, 1992
Steve Wilstein, Associated Press

Oink!

Once the citadel of civility, Wimbledon turned into a trough of abuse Friday. Grunts yielded to insults and thoughtfulness gave way to threats, starting with one man's opinion that "80 percent of the top 100 women are lazy, fat pigs" who shouldn't be allowed on Centre Court.

That indiscreet fellow, 11th-seeded Richard Krajicek - a 4-6, 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 loser to Arnaud Boetsch - later apologized, sort of, for his self-described "stupid statement."

"What I meant to say, actually, is only 75 percent," he said. "A lot of women are overweight."

Responded Martina Navratilova, perhaps only partly in jest: "I'm going to beat him up."

Tennis anyone?

There really were some marvelous moments amid all the mud-slinging.

Navratilova made the shot of the tournament, a round-the-back volley winner at break point and 5-5 in the first set that sapped the spirit from Barbara Rittner and led to a 7-5, 6-1, third-round win.

"I've hit those before, but I don't think I've ever hit one at a better time," said Navratilova, seeking her 10th Wimbledon title. "I was on the skids at that point."

Rittner, stunned by the trick shot after blasting a forehand straight at Navratilova from about 15 feet away, called the volley simply ''unbelievable."

"The whole match just turned around," Rittner said.

Ivan Lendl, frustrated in a dozen Wimbledons and falling fast in the rankings this year, served 21 aces to win a five-setter against Sandon Stolle, son of three-time Wimbledon finalist Fred Stolle.

Defending champions Michael Stich, two-time champion Stefan Edberg, Pete Sampras and Goran Ivanisevic all swept into the round of 16 with straight-set victories, as did women's top seed Monica Seles.

All looked like potential champions, especially Sampras, the 1990 U.S. Open winner.

"I was more or less in the zone, so to speak, for just about all of the match," he said after beating Scott Davis, 6-1, 6-0, 6-2.

Five seeded players lost, including No. 7 Mary Joe Fernandez, who injured her right hip against Amy Frazier, and No. 10 Anke Huber. Among the men's seeds who lost was No. 13 Brad Gilbert.

Tennis aside - and it seemed to be for much of the day - Navratilova led the chorus of women's protests about Krajicek's comments.

Seles, criticized in the British tabloids about her widening bottom and incessant grunts, declined to talk about anything except her 6-4, 6-1 victory over Laura Gildemeister.

Navratilova knew Krajicek couldn't be talking about her - "My body fat is lower than his" - but she acknowledged that some of her colleagues really are fat "as are some of the men's players."

"I see some pot bellies out there, but that doesn't make you a great player or a lazy player. You get some baseball players who look like they drink beer all day long, but they hit home runs."

Rittner, one of the more full-figured women on the tour, took particular exception to Krajicek's remarks.

"I can only answer that with a question: Have you ever seen women in the last two years defaulting in a semifinal?" she said, recalling Krajicek's pullout from the Australian Open because of a shoulder injury before his semifinal against Jim Courier.

"It's really stupid of him. I can't accept it."

Frenchwoman Nathalie Tauziat, taking delight in Krajicek's five-set defeat against France's Arnaud Boetsch, called the Dutchman's comments simply ''ridiculous."

Krajicek, a skinny, 6-foot-4, 20-year-old with a touch of baby fat in his face, said he was sorry.

He had no regrets, though, about the point of his remark, that women should not get equal pay for unequal play, because they compete in best-of-three matches instead of best-of-fives as the men do. He also insisted that fans want to see the men's matches more and that most women's matches should be taken off the show courts.

"I'm just trying to make the point that they are complaining all the time that they are not getting equal prize money, and they keep pressing it," he said. "I think that they should just be happy with what they are making. We are not asking for more and more at this time."

It's an old and sensitive argument - Wimbledon allocates about $3.7 million to the men's singles and doubles pools, and about $3 million to the women's. The men's singles champion here makes about $500,000, while the women's champion gets about $50,000 less.

The pay also is unequal at the French Open, but at both the U.S. and the Australian Opens the men and women earn the same amounts.

Many of the men's players, including John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors and Pat Cash, have long agreed with Krajicek that the men are a bigger draw for the Grand Slams and should be compensated with larger purses.

Wimbledon is conducting a survey that includes questions about the relative popularity of men's and women's tennis, and that could have an effect on pay parity.

Gerard Smith, executive director of the Women's Tennis Association, said he didn't want to dignify Krajicek's remarks by commenting on them.

But Navratilova, former WTA president, didn't hesitate to respond.

"There have been conversations regarding equal prize money . . . and the biggest argument supposedly for that is men would require higher prices on the 'white market' than the women's matches," she said. "The same with the ratings. Supposedly, TV would be wanting to pay more for men than women's tennis. But when you look over the last 10 years, and look at the ratings in the finals, women have done equally as well as the men.

"The only reason this tournament is so big is because both the men and women play. That's why the Grand Slams are so special and bring in all the attention. That is what makes the tournament, and that's why it should be an equal contribution."

WIMBLEDON AT A GLANCE

Highlights of Friday's play, the fifth day of the $8.2 million Wimbledon championships:

Men's results: No. 2 Stefan Edberg defeated Grant Stafford, 6-1, 6-0, 6-2; No. 3 Michael Stich defeated Magnus Larsson, 6-4, 6-1, 6-3; No. 5 Pete Sampras defeated Scott Davis, 6-1, 6-0, 6-2; No. 8 Goran Ivanisevic defeated Marc Rosset, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4, 6-4; and No. 10 Ivan Lendl defeated Sandon Stolle, 6-3, 1-6, 2-6, 6-3, 7-5.

Women's results: No. 1 Monica Seles defeated Laura Gildemeister, 6-4, 6-1, and No. 4 Martina Navratilova defeated Barbara Rittner, 7-5, 6-1.

Upsets: For the men, Arnaud Boetsch beat No. 11 Richard Krajicek, 4-6, 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2, and Wally Masur defeated No. 13 Brad Gilbert, 6-3, 6-7 (2-7), 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 6-2. For the women, Amy Frazier downed No. 7 Mary Joe Fernandez, 6-3, 6-3 and Yayuk Basuki defeated No. 10 Anke Huber, 6-2, 6-3.

Stat of the day: Goran Ivanisevic and Marc Rosset combined for 37 aces - 22 by Ivanisevic - in their third-round match.

Quote of the day: "Eighty percent of the top 100 women are lazy, fat pigs." - Krajicek, of the Netherlands, on women players and the equal-pay question.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #167

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

This little chauvinist pig went to Wimbledon - Richard Krajicek
The Times
London, England
Saturday, June 27, 1992
Simon Barnes

WE HAVE the yearly scandal of the overpriced strawberries, the yearly suggestion of a sliding roof over centre court to keep out the rain, and the annual piece of out-and-out chauvinist-piggery. This year it came from Richard Krajicek, a 20-year-old Dutch player, who lost his third round match at Wimbledon yesterday.

"Eighty per cent of the top women players are lazy fat pigs who should not be allowed on the show courts," he said on Dutch radio. Naturally, we press people thronged to his post-match press conference to hear more. "I was exaggerating a little bit," he said. "I meant 75 per cent."

"My body fat is lower than his," said Martina Navratilova, when someone was brave enough to report Krajicek's remarks to the nine-times Wimbledon champion. We reported this back to Krajicek. "She shouldn't take it personally because she's obviously not a fat pig," he pronounced. "She is not thick."

Another difference between Navratilova and Krajicek is that she won. "You don't judge people on their appearance, you judge them on their ability to play tennis," said Martina. "Sure, it's insulting. There is no reason to make statements like that."

Krajicek wasn't trying to gain cheap publicity. He was just in a sulk about the old canard of equal prize-money. Women get the same money as men in two of the four Grand Slam tournaments: in Australia and in the United States. Not in Paris, and, no, not at Wimbledon. The winner of the gentlemen's singles at Wimbledon this year will receive Pounds 265,000; the winner of the ladies' singles Pounds 240,000. Either way, the money must help with the mortgage.

"I mean, we play five sets and they only play three sets. Don't you think it's ridiculous?" Krajicek said. As a matter of fact, a lot of women rather like the idea of playing five sets of tennis. The difference in match-length is just an outdated convention. "We play much more," Krajicek grumbled on. "We get equally paid so actually we get less paid if you look at it that way." Still, the idea of tennis as piece-work has yet to catch on. Perhaps the players should be paid by the game? Or by the shot?

It was left to Martina to add a breath of common sense and humanity to the proceedings. "The only reason this tournament is so big is because both men and women play. That is what makes the tournament, and that's why there should be equal prize-money."

But when asked if she might say something to Krajicek, who was to follow her in the interview room, she gave a final, dazzling smile and declared: "I'm going to beat him up."
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #168

KRAJICEK CALLS WOMEN PLAYERS LAZY, FAT PIGS
Sun-Sentinel
Saturday, June 27, 1992
JIM SARNI

WIMBLEDON, England -- Richard Krajicek said it on Dutch radio: ''Eighty percent of the women are lazy, fat pigs and don't deserve to play on the show courts at Wimbledon.''

Naturally, his post-match news conference Friday was packed.

''I regret I said they were fat pigs,'' said Krajicek, a 4-6, 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 upset loser to Arnaud Boetsch.

''That was a stupid statement. But the point I was trying to make is that the women keep complaining about equal prize money when they should just be happy with what they are making. We play five sets and they play only three. I also said that (Steffi) Graf and (Monica) Seles and those top girls deserve equal prize money because they're good and people come to watch them.''

Martina Navratilova rebutted Krajicek: ''I don't think I would call my fellow competitors pigs. I think you can call some of them fat, as are some of the men players. But that doesn't make a great player or a lazy player. You get some baseball players who look like they drink beer all day, but they hit home runs.''
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #169

GIGI FERNANDEZ HAS A CHANCE TO MAKE A MEMORY
Scripps Howard News Service
Saturday, June 27, 1992
THOMAS O'TOOLE

Gigi Fernandez never looks at the draw sheet of a tennis tournament. She only wants to know her next opponent. Nine years on the women's tour have taught discipline.

So, it wasn't until a reporter said it that Gigi found out top-seeded Monica Seles is in her half of the Wimbledon draw. And it wasn't until Fernandez polished off German Claudia Porwick 6-2, 6-0 on Friday that she would discuss coming events.

"Now you can mention her name," Gigi said with a smile.

Fernandez will meet Seles on Monday in the fourth round. Few would give her a chance of lasting any longer.

Seles, three times a winner this week without losing a set, is the world's top-ranked woman and is halfway to a Grand Slam with victories in the Australian and French opens.

Fernandez even calls her the "most intense" player she has seen on the court.

"More intense than Steffi (Graf) when Steffi was winning everything. What can be intimidating about her is her presence on the court."

Fernandez, 28, speaks from experience. Last winter she lost to Seles 6-0, 6-0 in Indian Wells, Calif. But that tournament was on a slow surface. Wimbledon is on fast grass, a edge for Fernandez.

"I feel a lot more confident because it's on grass," said Fernandez, a Puerto Rican native who lives in Aspen, Colo.

"All the pressure will be on her. I don't have any pressure. I can go out and swing. She knows she'll be playing somebody who on any given day can beat her on grass. If it was on clay, I wouldn't give myself a chance. But this is a great opportunity."

Seles understands that.

"She's a tough serve and volleyer," said Seles. "I'm going to have to return very well and play some great passing shots because she comes to the net so well."

Fernandez is more comfortable with her chances for reasons other than the surface. Primarily known as a doubles player (which she's playing in the Olympics), she has improved in singles, consistently ranking in the 20s the last two years. She won the Virginia Slims in Albuquerque last year and finished at No. 20. She is No. 26 now.

In three matches here, she has lost one set. Among her victims was 15th-seeded Kimiko Date.

This much success came after she nearly defaulted. Gigi pulled her quad muscle in her right leg during a grass tune-up tournament. Treatment helped prepare her for Wimbledon , but in her first match against Donna Faber, she reinjured the leg. She trailed 3-0 in the third set before rallying to win.

She would like to rest before Monday's match but she has assignments in doubles and mixed doubles.

"If it had been any other tournament, I would have defaulted (in the first round)," she said. "Only Wimbledon is worth a serious injury. I was lucky to pull it out. I was probably only 50 percent."

In Friday's match, she called a trainer to the court because she felt discomfort in her left knee. The move was a precaution, and she doesn't think it is serious.

She also is playing with more confidence in singles because of doubles success. She shares 26 doubles titles, including four Grand Slams. She and new partner Natalia Zvereva won the recent French Open.

For much of last year, Fernandez was the top-ranked doubles player in the world.

"That was very important for me," she said. "There's very few people who get to the top in their careers. I can look back when I'm 40 and say for six months I was No. 1 in the world."

She has a chance to make another memory on Monday.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #170

MARY JOE TUMBLES TO FRAZIER
STRAINED MUSCLE SLOWS FERNANDEZ - WIMBLEDON - DAY 5
Sun-Sentinel
Saturday, June 27, 1992
JIM SARNI

WIMBLEDON, England -- Mary Joe Fernandez, the seventh seed, fell at Wimbledon -- and out of the tournament -- Friday.

Miami's Fernandez took a hard tumble in the first set against Amy Frazier and lost 3-6, 3-6. She strained a right hip muscle as she chased a ball across the baseline at 3-all, 15-all. Fernandez played on, but didn't play as well.

''I got scared and I moved tentatively after that,'' Fernandez, 20, said. ''It was not acute pain, so I kept playing because it's Wimbledon, the biggest tournament of the year.''

Anke Huber, the 10th seed from Germany, joined Fernandez on the sidelines, after a 2-6, 3-6 loss to Yayuk Basuki of India.

Four seeds stood tall, including top-seeded Monica Seles and nine-time champion Martina Navratilova. Seles defeated Laura Gildemeister of Peru 6-4, 6-1, while Navratilova beat German teen-ager Barbara Rittner 7-5, 6-1.

Katerina Maleeva (12) and Nathalie Tauziat (14) also advanced to the fourth round, along with non-seeds Gigi Fernandez and Julie Halard.

Maleeva beat Mana Endo 7-5, 6-3, Tauziat rallied to oust Nicole Provis 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, Fernandez routed Claudia Porwik 6-2, 6-0, and Halard, who defeated Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in the second round, eliminated Helena Sukova 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.

The top half Round of 16 pairings for Monday: Seles-Fernandez, Tauziat- Frazier; Navratilova-Basuki; and Maleeva-Halard.

The bottom half pairings will be completed today when the third round is finished.

Fernandez was back on Centre Court, where she lost a semifinal to eventual champion Steffi Graf last year. The first set was even, when Fernandez went on her ill-fated dash.

''I don't know what happened, I fell,'' said Fernandez, who returned to play doubles with Zina Garrison later in the day. ''I've fallen before, but not in such an important match.''

Frazier, 19, the 18th-ranked player from Rochester Hills, Mich., held serve for 4-3, broke Fernandez, then served out the first set.

Frazier, a solid baseliner, broke Fernandez four times in five service games in the second set. Fernandez broke back to 2-4 and again to 3-5, but couldn't hold serve.

Fernandez saved a match point with a backhand volley in the eighth game, and another match point with a strong forehand approach shot at 15-40 in the final game, before surrendering the match with a backhand into the net.

''I tried to make the points quicker after I fell, so I wouldn't have to run down as many balls,'' Fernandez said. ''I couldn't move that well to my right. I thought I could still win, but I couldn't hold my serve. Amy hits the ball well, she returns well and didn't make a lot of mistakes.''

Fernandez committed 41 errors to 32 for Frazier, who hit more winners, 21-17.

''I stayed focused on my game,'' said Frazier, who had lost three previous matches to Fernandez, including an Australian Open quarterfinal in January.

''I had to forget about her injury and play my game. I thought I played a little more consistent today, and she made more errors.''

Frazier advanced to the fourth round for the second year in a row. Last year, she lost to Graf on Centre Court, Frazier's first time on the famous court.

''It helped a lot to play on Centre Court last year,'' Frazier said. ''I was very nervous last year.''

Fernandez may also tumble in the rankings after losing in the third round. She was upset by Sabine Hack in the third round of the French Open as well. Fernandez started the Grand Slam season sensationally by reaching the final of the Australian Open, but it has been all downhill since.

''These things happen,'' said Fernandez, who will go on to represent the United States at the Olympics in Barcelona. ''I had an off-day in Paris and the girl played well. It's sad to lose like this at Wimbledon , but hopefully there will be more Wimbledons.''

MEN'S HIGHLIGHTS

-- No. 2 Stefan Edberg d. Grant Stafford 6-1, 6-0, 6-2; No. 10 Ivan Lendl d. Sandon Stolle 6-3, 1-6, 2-6, 6-3, 7-5; No. 13 Brad Gilbert lost to Wally Masur 3-6, 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 2-6.

WOMEN'S HIGHLIGHTS

-- No. 1. Monica Seles d. Laura Gildemeister 6-4, 6-1; No. 7 Mary Joe Fernandez lost to Amy Frazier 3-6, 3-6.

TODAY'S KEY MATCHES

-- John McEnroe vs. No. 16 David Wheaton; No. 6 Jennifer Capriati vs. Patricia Hy.

TV

-- Noon-3 p.m., NBC.

How the seeds fared

Men

2. Stefan Edberg d. Grant Stafford 6-1, 6-0, 6-2.

3. Michael Stich d. Magnus Larsson 6-4, 6-1, 6-3.

5. Pete Sampras d. Scott Davis 6-1, 6-0, 6-2.

8. Goran Ivanisevic d. Marc Rosset 7-6 (7-4), 6-4, 6-4.

10. Ivan Lendl d. Sandon Stolle 6-3, 1-6, 2-6, 6-3, 7-5.

11. Richard Krajicek lost to Arnaud Boetsch 6-4, 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 2-6.

13. Brad Gilbert lost to Wally Masur 3-6, 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 2-6.

15. Alexander Volkov lost to Henrik Holm 4-6, 6-3, 3-6, 6-7 (8-10).

Women

1. Monica Seles d. Laura Gildemeister 6-4, 6-1.

4. Martina Navratilova d. Barbara Rittner 7-5, 6-1.

7. Mary Joe Fernandez lost to Amy Frazier 3-6, 3-6.

10. Anke Huber lost to Yayuk Basuki 2-6, 3-6.

12. Katerina Maleeva d. Mana Endo 7-5, 6-3.

14. Nathalie Tauziat d. Nicole Provis 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.

Other third round scores:

Gigi Fernandez d. Claudia Porwik 6-2, 6-0.

Julie Halard d. Helena Sukova 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.

Match of the Day

Ivan Lendl, the sentimental favorite, rallied to beat Sandon Stolle in five sets.

Mismatch of the Day

Stefan Edberg and Pete Sampras crushed their opponents by identical 6-1, 6-0, 6-2 scores.

Quote of the Day

''Eighty percent of the women at Wimbledon are lazy fat pigs who should never be allowed on the show courts.'' -- Richard Krajicek

Etc.

-- Jennifer Capriati is playing mixed doubles with Luke Jensen.

-- Goran Ivanisevic has 73 aces in the tournament.

-- Stefan Edberg has not lost a set in three matches.

-- Gigi Fernandez has lost six games in her last four sets.

Today's matches to watch

John McEnroe vs. David Wheaton: The winner will likely get Jim Courier in the fourth round.

Andre Agassi vs. Derrick Rostagno: Rostagno beat Pete Sampras here last year.

Boris Becker vs. Bryan Shelton: Alabama's Shelton lost to Becker in the first round in 1989.

Jennifer Capriati vs. Patricia Hy: Capriati has beaten the Canadian the past two years at the U.S. Open.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #171

Fernandez falls from grace - Wimbledon 1992
The Times
London, England
Saturday, June 27, 1992
Alix Ramsay

THE green environment of the centre court proved less than friendly for the No.7 seed, Mary Joe Fernandez, yesterday as she stumbled out of the championships, 6-3, 6-3 to Amy Frazier, of the United States.

The two baseliners were busy trading blows in the first set, with Fernandez marginally ahead on points, when she fell in the seventh game, landing heavily on her right leg and arm. She managed to complete the game, and lose it, before asking for an injury time-out.

After applying much leg flexing and some heavy strapping to her right thigh, Fernandez was ready to continue but was never really back in the match.

The first set came and went to Frazier and Fernandez looked as if she knew her time was up. She rallied briefly in the second set but by that time it was too late, already two breaks down. Frazier proved too high a mountain to climb with a gammy leg.

Julie Halard continued her run on the grass. Having beaten Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, she faced Helena Sukova, who knows all about the art of serve and volley and the vagaries of a natural surface.

At first Halard looked doomed. Sukova raced to a 3-0 lead while the Frenchwoman's main defence, her fierce ground strokes, were failing to find their mark. Taking the second set as a fresh start, Halard suddenly found her range. She began to read Sukova's service, and polish it off with some stunning returns which left Sukova stranded.

Forcing the third set, Halard tired but still Sukova could not find a way past and Halard hung on to win 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.

Anke Huber was another seed to fall. The No. 10 seed, who was beaten by Jo Durie in the French Open, completed a miserable month, losing 6-2, 6-3 to Yayik Basuki, of Indonesia.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #172

Garrison-McNeil showdown ruined
Houston Chronicle
Sunday, JUNE 28, 1992
DALE ROBERTSON

WIMBLEDON, England -- Zina Garrison and Lori McNeil, Houston's celebrated muny-courts graduates, have been fellow travelers to Wimbledon for a decade, yet they never have faced each other. Nor have they survived into the second week of the fortnight together in the same year.

But it almost happened this time.

Almost.

Garrison, seeded 13th, easily defeated Ros Fairbank-Nideffer 6-4, 6-2 Saturday, making the round of 16 for the third straight summer, the fourth time in her last five tries and sixth time overall.

"It would be fun to play Lori on grass," she said afterward, not knowing McNeil, a surprise winner of last week's Wimbledon tuneup tournament in Eastbourne, was about to be tackled from behind by Natalia Zvereva 5-7, 6-4, 7-5.

In a quirk of the draw, they would have played Monday in their first meeting on grass. Other than Martina Navratilova, they are the only true serve-and-volley players on the women's tour.

"It would have been interesting," McNeil said.

Garrison admitted McNeil was on her mind at the outset Saturday when Fairbank-Nideffer took the first two games.

"I was thinking, `Oh no, I'm going to have to go through all that again,' " Garrison said, referring to the media attention a matchup with McNeil would generate. "But (Fairbank) was killing me. I had to get my mind back on today or I wasn't going to be around Monday."

On recent form, the unseeded McNeil seemed the more likely to find herself in the fourth round. She had won eight consecutive matches before Zvereva derailed her; Garrison had bowed out in the first round at Eastbourne after losing in the quarters at Birmingham.

The tournaments were Garrison's first since she fell to Monica Seles on clay in the Virginia Slims of Houston final Easter Sunday. The six-week layoff, brought about by her need to decompress after her pressure-laden hometown event and the decision to avoid more personal frustration at the French Open, left her rusty.

"I didn't know what to do with myself with all that time," Garrison said. "I mentally wasn't ready when I came back, so I didn't play well in those other tournaments. It was a joke. I make the finals of a tournament on clay -- my worst surface, at home where I have a really hard time playing -- then I couldn't win on grass.

"But I'm always relaxed when I get to Wimbledon. I just feel good here."

Garrison, 29 and a month older than McNeil, first burst into world prominence by winning the Junior Wimbledon championship while a Sterling High School student. She has been both a semifinalist (1985) and finalist (1990) in the women's draw.

But in 1986, when the less heralded McNeil, who attended Lamar and Oklahoma State, advanced to the quarters, Garrison was upset in the second round. Ditto 1989, McNeil's only other year to make it to the Sweet 16.

Monday's matchup between the two illustrious MacGregor Park graduates might have come to pass if not for a terribly timed let-cord winner by Zvereva at third match point. McNeil gamely had saved the first two but then couldn't chase down a Zvereva forehand passing shot that dribbled over the net.

History favored a McNeil upset in the next round. Although Garrison consistently has been ranked higher, McNeil holds a 5-2 head-to-head advantage. But most recently, Garrison took a 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (12-10) marathon thriller in the Virginia Slims of Oklahoma final.

"Lori gets up for me," Garrison said, "so she always plays well. It's never her game (that's suspect) anyway. It just depends on what she wants to do that day."

McNeil said want-to was the least of her problems against Zvereva, blaming her demise on too many faulty returns.

"I wasn't thinking about Zina," she insisted. "I feel like I just let the match get away from me. I didn't return as well as I can. I had my opportunities."
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #173

FIRST JAPANESE REACHES FOURTH ROUND
The Commercial Appeal
Sunday, June 28, 1992
Press Services

Naoko Sawamatsu became the first Japanese player to reach the fourth round at Wimbledon when she upset 16th seed Judith Wiesner on Saturday.

"I still can't believe it," Sawamatsu said after beating Wiesner 6-1, 7-5. "I just can't believe this win."

Sawamatsu squandered a 4-0 lead in the second set but managed to hold on and advance to meet sixth-seed Jennifer Capriati, who beat Patricia Hy 6-3, 6-1.

All the players must wait until Monday to play again - Wimbledon doesn't play on the middle Sunday of the two-week event.

"When I reached match point I was so nervous," said Sawamatsu, who played on Court 13. "Now I want to play on the Centre Court."

In other developments:

-- John McEnroe wasn't even on court but he was there in spirit, and perhaps in music.

The occasion was ''People's Saturday,'' when Wimbledon opened its doors to 2,000 first-come-first-served fans. Play started two hours early and the spectators were entertained by a six-piece jazz band before the action started.

The song may not have been aimed at the tempestuous three-time champion, but among the tunes played by the band was Mac the Knife.

The band followed with When the Saints Go Marchin' In, and finished up with The Stripper. The fans clapped, swayed to the music and joined in the chorus.

The festive atmosphere continued as spectators did ''the wave'' between matches.

A group of fans wore t-shirts with letters on the front which spelled out A-G-A-S-S-I. On the back, the letters spelled out Mc-E-N-R-O-E.

-- Jeremy Bates had the flag-waving British fans cheering, biting their nails and then roaring as he became the first player from the host nation for 10 years to reach the last 16 of Wimbledon .

The fans went wild as Bates downed Frenchman Thierry Champion, 7-5, 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 4-6, 6-4, Saturday to gain the fourth round.

''To win like that at Wimbledon, it's beyond words really,'' Bates said.

It was the first time in 11 Wimbledons the 30-year-old Englishman has reached the fourth round. The last British player to get there was Buster Mottram, who lost to American Tim Mayotte in 1982.

-- Andre Agassi warmed up topless for his match with Derrick Rostagno. But when play began, he put his hat on. Agassi has been asked if he had been wearing a hat to cover an emerging bald spot.

-- Monica Seles has begun censoring her press conferences. A Wimbledon official announces prior to each appearance that she will only answer tennis questions. This comes after inquiries about a supposed addiction to butter, a suspected weight gain and the reasons she skipped last year's tournament.

''I don't think it's fair they ask these things,'' said Seles.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #174

I will confess to wondering at the time if Steffi didn't dial back her returns a little so as to create a dramatic match and blow a raspberry Krajicek's way.

GRAF AVOIDS THE UPSET BUG, DEFEATS DE SWARDT
Sun-Sentinel
Sunday, June 28, 1992
JIM SARNI

WIMBLEDON, England -- What's happening to women's tennis? It used to be that the top seeds waltzed through the first week of Grand Slam tournaments.

Without a worry in the world.

Not at Wimbledon, where no one is sacred.

Arantxa Sanchez Vicario was upset by Julie Halard.

Martina Navratilova survived a two-day cliffhanger against Kimberly Po.

And Saturday, in the final match of the week, defending champion Steffi Graf was pushed to the brink by Mariann de Swardt, the No. 76 player from South Africa.

Graf held on for a 5-7, 6-0, 7-5 victory, but the crown was shaking a bit.

De Swardt, listed at 149 pounds in the Kraft Tour media guide, was throwing her weight around Centre Court, pinning Graf back with her strong serve, which measured a women's high of 108 mph.

''She served so well,'' Graf said. ''Everytime I got chances to break, she served so amazingly. If you serve like that, it's so difficult to do something.''

Graf finally broke de Swardt at 15 in the final game. De Swardt saved eight of 12 break points.

De Swardt had only two break points, but converted one in the final game of the first set to take the lead.

''I don't feel bad at all,'' Graf said. ''Maybe my return wasn't as sharp as I wanted it to be, but I only struggled on one service game. It's just the way she played.''

While the second-seeded Graf advanced to the fourth round, three lesser seeds fell:

-- No. 9 Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere was beaten 7-5, 7-6 (7-2) by Kristen Godridge, 19, of Australia, ranked No. 141.

-- No. 11 Jana Novotna was ousted 6-3, 6-3 by American Patty Fendick, ranked No. 68.

-- No. 16 Judith Wiesner was upset 6-1, 7-5 by Naoko Sawamatsu, who became the first Japanese woman to get this far.

Three other seeds had little trouble. Gabriela Sabatini (3) defeated Japanese qualifier Riki Hiraki 6-0, 6-4; Jennifer Capriati (6) topped Patricia Hy 6-3, 6-1; and Zina Garrison (13) beat Ros Fairbank-Nideffer 6-4, 6-2.

Natalia Zvereva edged Lori McNeil 5-7, 6-4, 7-5 in a battle of unseeded players.

The bottom half pairings Monday are set: Graf-Fendick, Garrison-Zvereva, Sabatini-Godridge and Capriati-Sawamatsu.

Zvereva, who reached the French Open quarterfinals, gained the fourth round for the third time at Wimbledon .

Fortune smiled on Zvereva, as she beat McNeil, last week's Eastbourne champion, with a forehand net cord on her third match point.

''This is one of my best victories on grass,'' said Zvereva, who is unseeded and ranked No. 30. ''Was I lucky? It was match point, but it was match point up, not match point down.''

Zvereva, who upset Conchita Martinez, the eighth seed, in the second round, rallied against McNeil, a serve-and-volleyer whose confidence was high after her surprise victory in Eastbourne.

The first set was on serve all the way, until Zvereva was broken in the final game on McNeil's seventh set point.

Zvereva took a 5-1 lead in the second set. McNeil won three games in a row, before Zvereva took the set.

Zvereva broke for 2-0 in the final set, but McNeil broke right back and the players stayed on serve until Zvereva broke at 15 for 6-5.

Serving for the match, Zvereva fell behind love-30, but then won the next three points. McNeil foiled Zvereva on two match points, but then Zvereva got the favor when her baseline forehand hit the tape and fell over.

''I'm still not a proper grasscourt player,'' said Zvereva, who trains in Boca Raton with coach Juan Nunez. ''I'm trying to come in more, but I'm really confident in my passing shots.''

Zvereva hit 15 passing shots, among her 40 winners, two more than McNeil, who won more points (118-113) but still lost.

Capriati has dropped 15 games on her way to the fourth round for the third time in three Wimbledons.

''I had to play well today,'' said Capriati, who beat Hy for the third time in three matches. ''There were too many errors at the beginning, but everything got better toward the end.''

''Jennifer is playing with her head,'' said Stefano Capriati, her father and coach. ''She has more experience. She's not just pounding the ball. She's using more strokes, and she knows the purpose for each one.''
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #175

Take that, Richard Krajicek
USA TODAY
Saturday, June 27, 1992
MIKE DAVIS, Gannett News Service

Take that, Richard Krajicek.

Krajicek, the young Dutchman who said that "80 percent of the top 100 women players are lazy, fat pigs" who don't deserve to play on Wimbledon 's Center Court, was given a figurative slap in the face by Mariaan de Swardt of South Africa.

De Swardt, a 21-year-old wide-body of the sort Krajicek surely had in mind when he made his comments Friday, made her first Center Court appearance Saturday. And she came THAT close to upsetting defending champion Steffi Graf, the most athletic player in the women's game.

Graf, seeded No.2 and the betting favorite to win her fourth title here, lost her first set of the fortnight and had to scramble for a 5-7, 6-0, 7-5 victory.

Not until she broke de Swardt's serve in the final game could Graf breathe a sigh of relief. And afterward she had nothing but admiring words for her opponent.

"She played really well. Really," Graf said. "I didn't feel bad at all about the way I played. It was just the way she played, really."

Undeniably talented, de Swardt's weight is a handicap in that it hinders her mobility. But she is blessed with quick reflexes, a deft volleying touch and, most of all, an overpowering serve.

Pounding serves and chipping approaches relentlessly to Graf's vulnerable backhand, she kept the German on the defensive for much of the 1-hour, 59-minute match. She also played courageously, with many of her second serves registering in the 90-mph range.

"She served so well," Graf said. "Every time I had chances to break (in the first and third sets), I mean she just served amazingly. Especially in the last set.

"It was a very difficult match."

De Swardt wasn't available for comment afterward. Neither was Krajicek. But her message to him was delivered loudly and clearly.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #176

Last bit is about the Capriati-Hy match.

Bates bandwagon rolls on - Jeremy Bates
The Sunday Times
London, England
Sunday, June 28, 1992
Nick Pitt

JEREMY BATES did it, and all credit to him, but he, and many others, had to suffer, for it looked for all the world as though he was going to throw it away.

Once, two weeks ago perhaps, he would have done. He would have contemplated the fact that he had somehow squandered a two-sets-to-love lead, and would have folded.

By beating Thierry Champion of France 7-5 6-4 6-7 4-6 6-4, Bates becomes the first Briton since Buster Mottram in 1982 to contest the fourth round of the men's singles. It seems impossible: there are 16 players left and one of them is Bates.

Of course, he is unlikely to go further. Bates must now face Guy Forget, a more dangerous Frenchman and a much better one on grass than Champion. But whatever happens then, and the last time Bates played Forget on grass he was slaughtered, he has proved a lot, to himself and to his many critics. Bates has been called many things in his time, most of them uncomplimentary. But yesterday he displayed a quality one would not have associated with him: bravery.

Bates revealed that he had received a note on court from a physiotherapist, advising him that he was in danger of dehydration, and suggesting he change his shirt. Before finally serving for the match, he summoned a last effort by downing the best part of a jug of water.

"I'm shattered beyond words," Bates said. "Something was keeping me standing up in the fifth set but I'm not sure what it was. I had done so much running and I didn't have anything else to give. I was exhausted, but I found something from somewhere."

Bates has always been a talented player, but his tactical sense and temperament have been suspect, and he lacks the big shot, either on serve or off the ground, that can earn a few cheap points in the crunch.

Yesterday, though, he not only outplayed Champion for two sets, but outfought him in the fifth, saving five break points on his own serve before breaking through himself in the seventh game.

Champion may be a reluctant volleyer and the third clay-courter the rather fortunate Bates has met during the championships, but he has a much higher ranking than Bates 50 as against 113 and a reputation as a man hard to beat. He defeated Pat Cash in five sets at Wimbledon last year, and emerged from a five-setter and a four-setter in the first two rounds this year.

But against Bates, Champion let his head and himself down, and as a result lost the first two sets, both of which he had chances to win. He allowed himself to get upset by line-calls, alleging poor bounces as an excuse for missing shots, and constantly looking towards his coach for help. There were some questionable line-calls, but after winning one service break courtesy of a foot fault call against Bates, Champion could hardly accuse officials of bias.

Bates was first to break, in the fourth game of the first set, and quickly proved he had the tactical advantage. With Champion camping on the baseline, Bates approached behind deeply sliced approach shots and put away three volleys. At love-40, Champion himself came to the net and missed the volley. He did not volley much thereafter.

There were fears that Bates might fulfil the worst expectations when he contrived to throw away the next game, and his early advantage. But although he lost his next service game as well, the Bates head did not hang. Resuming the chip-and-charge tactic, he broke Champion to level at 4-4.

The first crisis arrived, and Bates faced it stoutly, saving three break points in the 11th game with commendably heavy serving, before breaking Champion for the first set with a screaming backhand down the line. In the second set, Bates again did a British flop in reverse. He lost concentration, allowing Champion to take a 4-2 lead with one break, then saved a further three break points, before admirably taking charge, winning four consecutive games for the set. But the real test was to come, for Bates lost the third set the first he had lost in the championships when he played a worryingly poor tie-break which included two double faults.

Bates appeared to have resumed command in the fourth set, when he broke in the third game. But he was immediately broken back, and for the first time, Champion seemed to believe the match could be his. The conviction grew as Bates, serving at 4-5, lost his service to love, losing the set with the weakest of backhands into the net. But this time, this year, Bates was not finished. He faced further break points, saved them all, and rallied for a famous victory, but saving enough energy to later team up with Jo Durie and reach the second round of the mixed doubles.

Earlier, in the first match on Court One, Jennifer Capriati, the sixth seed, defeated Patricia Hy, a Canadian citizen born in Cambodia, 6-3 6-1. For much of the match, Capriati was content to exchange shots from the baseline and wait for an error. She rarely had to wait long. Hy's service was broken in the fourth game and, in the fifth, Capriati made the first approach to the net by either girl. In the event, she need not have bothered, for Hy had missed the sideline again.

Hy also decided to venture forward in the following game, made a winning volley and held her serve easily. Having cast off her inhibitions, Hy then broke Capriati's serve.

Capriati, however, hit noticeably harder in the next game, breaking service, and serving out for the set.

The second set was won and lost in the second game, during which Capriati saved a break point by winning a rally in which she twice put up chalk, and concluded with a net-cord winner. Fortune favours the rich. After three deuces, the young millionairess had taken a two-love lead and never looked back.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #177

Last bit is about Huber-Basuki with a blurb about Strnadova's popularity as a mixed doubles partner.

They are also served, who only stand and wait - Wimbledon
The Sunday Times
London, England
Sunday, June 28, 1992
Robert Philip

AS SO often happens in the world's great opera houses La Scala, Covent Garden, the Metropolitan it is not always those in the posh seats who derive the most fun from a day out at Wimbledon.

While Michael Stich and Stefan Edberg were obliterating opponents for the combined loss of 11 games on Centre Court last Friday, the great British tennis fan, who had spent seven hours queueing for a humble perch on a haemorrhoid-inducing wooden bench on one of the 12 outside courts, was being royally entertained.

By the time dusk had fallen, and the sound of racket being embedded in net post had given way to birdsong, Court4 had witnessed the demise of two seeds, the appearance of Ivan Lendl, one whirlwind (Jimmy White), one Rolling Stone (Ronnie Wood) and the woman with the Betty Grable legs.

Although they had pressing engagements elsewhere after lunch, Lendl and Stich provided a diverting interlude for the early arrivals by staging a rigorous practice session, the Czechoslovak wearing Andre Aghastly-style cycling shorts and an even more shocking pink baseball cap. The defending champion, by contrast, was the epitome of Germanic decorum in a lilac T-shirt and grey and white striped shorts.

While Stich idly amused himself by thumping down a succession of brutally accurate aces, Lendl worked on his forehand and his backhand, his volley and his lob, his serve and his service return, before ambling off to meet Son of Fred (also known as Sandon Stolle). Once perceived as an automaton whose circuitry was powered by microchips rather than red and white corpuscles, Lendl has mellowed since becoming the father of three baby daughters. Hence his new nickname, Robopop.

There is nothing remotely robotic about the tennis of Alexander Volkov, the 15th-seeded Russian who opened the official order of play on Court 4 against Henrik Holm, the Swedish qualifier whose most striking claim to fame is that he plays with his great size 12 feet encased in a pair of thick woolly army socks. "They are comfortable and give me bounce," Holm said.

Volkov any more laid-back and he would set up a sun-lounger on the baseline began life as a right-hander until he smashed his arm falling out of a tree at the age of 14. There not being much by way of entertainment in Kaliningrad at the time, Volkov simply switched hands and mastered the game all over again.

The arrival of Messrs White and Wood caused a flurry among the collectors of famous persons at courtside, and coincided with the departure of the capricious Volkov always more Baryshnikov than Kalashnikov, and beaten 6-4 3-6 7-6 6-4 aiming dark mutterings at the umpire which might have earned him a code violation had the official understood one word of what was being said.

"Anke, Anke Huber alles," chirruped a trio of German schoolboys as their 10th-seeded heroine entered stage left to face Indonesia's Yayuk Basuki, a throwback to the 1950s with her pat-a-cake serve, classic backhand, graceful volleys, and lobs so heavily disguised that you almost expect them to land wearing dark glasses and a false moustache.

Huber, who managed to lose to Jo Durie at the French Open last month, looks very much younger than her 17 years in pudding-bowl haircut, and her predictable huff-and-puff groundstrokes offered no defence against the artistry of Basuki, ranked a lowly 51st in the world rankings. The powerful young German duly fell 6-2 6-3; death by a thousand cuts.

The Indonesian, who reached the third round here last year before losing to Steffi Graf in a marvellous contest, is a part-time player currently studying management at the Academy of Banking in Jakarta. Huber will not be alone in hoping her future lies in pin-stripes.

Jason Stoltenberg and Andrea Strnadova are the odd couple of the mixed doubles. Stoltenberg learned to play on a court fashioned from levelled anthills on his father's cotton farm in the Australian bush, while Strnadova, the 1990 Wimbledon junior champion and Jenny Agutter lookalike, came through the same Czechoslovak system which produced Navratilova, Mandlikova, Novotna, Sukova et al.

Whatever the secret, their on-court chemistry was too potent for the American duo of Charlie Beckman and Peanut Harper.

Stoltenberg sealed a 6-4 6-7 6-4 triumph by planting a kiss on his partner's lips. According to locker-room gossip, Stoltenberg was one of 32 male players who asked Strnadova to enter the mixed.

The 20-year-old Czechoslovak's popularity, it must be said, is due entirely to her athletic prowess and owes nothing to the fact she has a pair of legs the length of the Wimbledon queue.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #178

Novotna is just getting warmed up for next year's Wimbledon...

Wimbledon notebook
The Kansas City Star
Sunday, June 28, 1992
Star News Services

WHO'S AT FAULT? Andre Agassi, the 12th seed, beat Derrick Rostagno, who assisted in the 6-3, 7-6 (7-5), 7-5 victory by double-faulting at match point. Bryan Shelton put up a stronger fight but ultimately committed that identical mistake in a fourth-set tie breaker against fourth-seeded Boris Becker, who advanced with a 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-5) victory.

BATES WINS AGAIN: In a third-round marathon that riveted the home nation, 113th-ranked Jeremy Bates beat Thierry Champion 7-5, 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 4-6, 6-4. Bates, 30, who has yet to win a title after a decade on the tour, and considering retirement two weeks ago, next faces Guy Forget.

WOMEN'S UPSETS: Eleventh-seeded Jana Novotna committed consecutive double faults on the final two points of a 6-3, 6-3 loss to Patty Fendick, and 16th-seeded Judith Wiesner was upset 7-5, 7-6 (7-2) by Japan's Naoko Sawamatsu.

WAKE UP CALL: Steffi Graf received a scare from the clarion serve of Mariaan De Swardt but managed to prevail 5-7, 6-0, 7-5. "Every time I had a chance to break, she just served amazingly, especially in the last set," Graf said.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #179

POSTCARD FROM WIMBLEDON : STRAWBERRY SCANDAL
Scripps Howard News Service
Sunday, June 28, 1992

There's another strawberry scandal at Wimbledon.

Last year, locals were aghast when prices were raised to $3.20 a serving. And it was revealed that some strawberries had been imported -- for shame -- from France.

This time, All England Club officials announced there would be no price increase and that a bumper crop of English strawberries ensured no need for imports.

According to a press release, "Tennis fans will enjoy a punnet of at least 10 strawberries ... which is one of the best bargains of the English summer season."

One London newspaper wasn't willing to take the club's word on 10 berries in each serving. An investigation revealed that some patrons are receiving nine or even eight strawberries.

A second undercover investigation by three intrepid American journalists produced two servings with 10 (but one of the berries was no bigger than a grape) and another with nine.

This is a serious issue. Strawberries and cream is a Wimbledon tradition. During the two weeks, 23 tons of strawberries and 10,000 pints of cream are consumed here.

Vigilant media representatives have vowed to stay on the case -- as long as expense account money holds out.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #180
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Still lovining these reports Ms A!

LOL@

Quote:
Indonesia's Yayuk Basuki, a throwback to the 1950s with her pat-a-cake serve, classic backhand, graceful volleys, and lobs so heavily disguised that you almost expect them to land wearing dark glasses and a false moustache.
Good writing, but it makes someone who never saw her think she had no power at all. She wasn't as big a hitter off the forehand as Graf of course, but Yayuk's forehand was hit so hard her nickname was Yayuk "Bazooka" or somethig like that. I was lucky enough to see her in the early 90s when I lived in Indonesia.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote