1992 - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 10th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #151
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

JUST GRUNT AND BEAR IT, MONICA
Sun-Sentinel
Thursday, June 25, 1992
JIM SARNI

WIMBLEDON, England -- Monica Seles better have a good sense of humor. She's going to need it to get through Wimbledon.

The No. 1 player in the world, who missed the tournament with an injury last year, has become the butt of tabloid jokes.

It started with the Grunt. The tabs sent ''gruntologists'' to her first match and recorded the decibel level of her noises. Higher than a locomotive.

Unkind cartoons followed. One was of a pig running by the court with an official saying ''I thought it was Monica Seles.''

Things got sillier Wednesday when Seles was asked if she was going to be banned for wearing ''figure-hugging'' outfits.

Even more absurd, Seles was questioned about a butter addiction. No fooling.

--

The Sun, Britain's top-selling tabloid, responded to its rivals' Seles jokes Wednesday by setting up a telephone ''groanline.''

Readers were invited to call in, listen to a recording of Seles' grunts and try out their own.

''Simply imitate Monica's eeern-uuurgh as loudly as you can and leave your name and phone number,'' The Sun said. ''We'll test the best with a decibel meter to find the greatest grunter.''

The winner will receive a tennis racket and 10 balls.

--

After 12 years on the board of the Women's Tennis Association, Martina Navratilova is angry that none of the younger stars seems interested in having a say in the way the game is run.

''A lot of the players complain this or that should be different, but then you ask them to run for the board and they don't want to do it,'' she said.

Navratilova said things have changed since the days when she, Chris Evert and Pam Shriver were involved with the WTA.

''Today they talk through their agents,'' she said. ''It's difficult to even talk to somebody and say 'What do you think about this?'''

Navratilova was WTA president from 1979-80 and in 1983. The current president is Shriver.

''Now it's sort of the last of the Mohicans with Pam,'' Navratilova said.

--

Jeremy Bates' upset Tuesday of Michael Chang had a startling effect on Britain's bookmakers.

Before the tournament, the William Hill organization gave 1,000-1 odds against Bates winning Wimbledon. Those were the same odds as Elvis Presley performing again.

Following the win, the odds went to 500-1, the same quoted for the Loch Ness Monster being found.

If Bates beats Javier Sanchez today, the odds will fall to 250-1, the same as an official sighting of a UFO.

--
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 10th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #152

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Wimbledon plans drugs tests - Wimbledon 1992
The Times
London, EnglandThursday, June 25, 1992
John Goodbody

WIMBLEDON will introduce a proper drugs testing programme next year. A meeting at the All England Club yesterday agreed that there should be testing shortly at all leading international tournaments in Britain, using the protocol of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as tennis is now an Olympic sport.

The move follows recent comments by John McEnroe and Steffi Graf, accusing some players of having taken drugs to improve their performances. Graf, who pointed out that she had never been tested, said she wanted more tournaments to be subjected to random sampling.

The meeting was attended by representatives of the International Tennis Federation (ITF), the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) the Women's Tennis Association (WTA), the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) and the Sports Council.

Jim Cochrane, a member of the medical commission and management committee of the ITF, said: "A very open discussion took place. There will be further talks to clarify the situation. However, within a very short period there will be a drugs testing protocol in place based on the IOC procedure."

Cochrane, who chaired the meeting, described the attitude of the players' representatives as "very positive". Their biggest worry was the confidentiality of the player.

However, a breakthrough occurred yesterday when the two players' organisations agreed that if someone had taken drugs, leading to a suspension, their names should be published.

However, if this occurs, tournament organisers will have the problem of reallocating prize money.

It is expected that about 40 players, picked at random, will be tested over the Wimbledon fortnight next year, the analysis to be carried out at King's College, London the IOC-accredited laboratory. In the past, the ATP and WTA have used their own sampling officers.

The Sports Council, which funds the British drugs testing programme, is happy to compromise by having its own independent officials act as supervisors, provided the IOC protocol is followed. This will include the urine being passed in full view of the sampling officer.

The only time that men at Wimbledon underwent drugs testing was in 1986, when it was carried out by the ATP. It was not repeated as there was an outcry in Britain when the ATP refused to disclose the names of anyone found positive. There was also lack of security and strict protocol, which Dick Robinson, a member of the championship committee, later described as "ludicrous". The WTA organised testing for women in 1990.

There has been sampling at the last two French Open championships because the French government insist that any important sports event held in its country is subjected to a programme carried out by its officers at its laboratory.

The ATP and the WTA already have an automatic, nine-month ban for anyone found using anabolic steroids for the first time and a life ban for a second offence. However, for stimulant drugs such as amphetamines, the organisations have agreed only to continue their policy of counselling rather than suspension.

This is despite the fact that stimulants can improve a player's performance, possibly depriving a rival of success and money. In addition, if that player were to be found positive for a stimulant during the Olympic Games, he or she would be disqualified immediately.

The players' organisations are still viewing people taking stimulants as having a social problem rather than attempting to cheat their fellow professionals. They only suspend a player if he or she refuses to undergo counselling.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #153

Capriati easily defeats Shriver at Wimbledon
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Thursday, June 25, 1992
ROB GLOSTER, Associated Press

WIMBLEDON, England - Jennifer Capriati won 17 of the first 18 points as she trounced fellow American Pam Shriver 6-2, 6-4 today in a Centre Court mismatch that was much more lopsided than the score indicated.

The sixth-seeded Capriati, who at 16 is barely more than half Shriver's age, slammed winners from all over the court and tantalized her opponent with soft lobs.

Shriver, who turns 30 next week, was overwhelmed by Capriati's shots and had little power on her own strokes. Shriver simply punched the ball back at times, rather than hitting full strokes.

At one point in the first set, Shriver yelled "Go out!" as a Capriati lob sailed over her head - and then raised her arms in mock triumph when the ball went long.

While Shriver was embarrassed by a younger rival, an old friend - Martina Navratilova - was rallying to defeat another member of the younger generation. Shriver and Navratilova teamed to win 20 Grand Slam women's doubles titles in the 1980s.

Nine-time Wimbledon singles champion Navratilova, 35, the third seed this year, completed a second-round victory over Kimberly Po, 20.

The match was tied at one set apiece when darkness suspended play yesterday, and Navratilova was struggling. But she quickly took control today to finish off a 6-2, 3-6, 6-0 victory.

"I was a wreck after yesterday. She played great yesterday, but I let her," Navratilova said. "The night of rest and being able to watch the match on TV made it much more obvious what I needed to do."

Two other women's seeds advanced into the third round today.

Zina Garrison, seeded 13th, defeated fellow American Linda Harvey-Wild 6-2, 6-4 and 16th seed Judith Wiesner was a 6-0, 6-1 winner over Kataryna Nowak.

Yesterday, the aces were flying faster than in a crooked card game.

Thwack!

Goran Ivanisevic pounded 34 aces, the most in a Wimbledon match in 16 years, while defeating Mark Woodforde on Centre Court.

Ka-boom!

Pete Sampras rattled the ace-counter's abacus with 28 serves that Todd Woodbridge never touched.

Shwoosh!

The ball came off Ivanisevic's racket so fast - up to 129 mph (206 kph) - that it whistled through the air as it flew toward the helpless Woodforde.

"You may as well go out there and have a bit of fun if you're going to be bombarded with serves like I was," Woodforde said. "What could I do? I mean, you either laugh or cry. In front of all those people, I'd rather laugh."

Australians Woodforde and Woodbridge must have started wondering whether someone had painted bullseyes on their chests.

"It was like a shooting gallery. I could not get my racket out to it," Woodforde said of the blasts from the eighth-seeded Ivanisevic, who won 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3.

Sampras, the fifth seed, hit the ball like a rocket against Woodbridge and had pinpoint accuracy on the placement of his serves in his 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (7-9), 6-4 Centre Court victory.

"Most were on the line or half an inch from the line. Against that you just can't get them back," said Woodbridge, who had 10 aces of his own. "Let's face it, you only get one or two chances per set against serving like that, and you have to take them when they come."

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Dec 11th, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #154

"If you throw out all the games I lost and only looked at the games I won, I won a set!"

Shriver serves notice her Wimbledon end is near
The Sun
Baltimore, MD
Friday, June 26, 1992
Don Markus

WIMBLEDON, England -- The first four games lasted all of 10 minutes, and Pam Shriver had won all of two points. Her heart was racing, her serve wasn't working and Jennifer Capriati was breezing in their second-round match at Wimbledon.

"I felt like a club player,'' Shriver would say later.

Clubbed might be more appropriate. Memories of her last two Centre Court appearances, quick and painful semifinal losses to Steffi Graf in 1987 and 1988, played on her emotions. This time, it was Capriati running to a 4-0 lead and running away with the match.

"She didn't miss much, and I was just tense,'' said Shriver, who lost, 6-2, 6-4, but remains alive in doubles with Martina Navratilova. "Then I got better as the match went on.''

Better, perhaps, but not good enough. After winning two games and losing yesterday's first set in 26 minutes, Shriver had opportunities in the second to push Capriati to a third set. But Shriver's serve deserted her again after taking a 3-1 lead, and it never returned.

"You know, if you throw out the first four games and say we just played a pro set, I lost 8-6, and somehow that seems a little better,'' said Shriver, who turns 30 next week. "I was glad I was able to get out my tenseness a little, but I was better.''

The problems with her serve -- she double-faulted twice in her first three service games, four times overall and paid dearly on many second serves, which Capriati crunched numerous times for winners -- came mainly from a faulty toss.

Shriver has had trouble with her toss since undergoing shoulder surgery two years ago and has tried to make a perfect toss to cut down on the wear and tear on her well-worn right shoulder. But it was more than just a faulty toss that did in Shriver yesterday.

"If I could pick one thing to change about the match, that would be it, the serve,'' she said. "I can't come out two sets in a row against a top player and drop my opening service game, especially when you're in position to hold serve at 40-15. So that was disappointing.''

Mostly, though, it was Capriati who caused Shriver most of her problems. Despite some erratic results this year, the 16-year-old Floridian is still one of the strongest players in the game. On top of that, Shriver allowed herself to get caught up in the emotions of what could be her final Centre Court appearance.

"At this stage I get a little reflective,'' said Shriver, a three-time semifinalist at Wimbledon. "So I try to isolate things, instead of thinking about the broad range of things that I can think about.''

The big picture might not look as bleak as it did a year ago, but it doesn't look as promising as it did a month ago. Shriver, like many players her age, has come to the realization that there are not too many Wimbledons left in her future.

Shriver has told her family that she would like them to come over next year, in case it's her last trip to the All England Club as a singles player. She will finish the summer with two regular tour events, the Federation Cup in Germany and the U.S. Open.

"The one disappointment is that I'm not going to play in the Olympics,'' said Shriver, who played for the United States in the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, South Korea, and last summer's Pan Am Games in Havana. "It's the one tournament I wanted to play in that I can't. It would have been great.''

It would have been just as satisfying to win yesterday.

But Capriati, not to mention reality, stepped in her way.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #155

CAPRIATI'S START FINISHES SHRIVER
Sun-Sentinel
Friday, June 26, 1992
JIM SARNI

WIMBLEDON, England -- Jennifer Capriati was back on Centre Court Thursday, the scene of her biggest win.

It was here last summer, on the world's most-fabled court, that the Florida teen-ager upset Martina Navratilova to reach the Wimbledon semifinals. At 15.

This time, the opponent was Pam Shriver, Navratilova's doubles partner and another ancient serve-and-volleyer, almost 30, who had reached three Wimbledon semifinals herself.

Capriati showed little respect again. She raced to a 4-0 lead, winning 16 of the first 18 points, on her way to a 6-2, 6-4 victory and a spot in the third round.

Defending champion Steffi Graf, Gabriela Sabatini, last year's runner-up, and Navratilova, a nine-time champion, also advanced to the third round, but eighth-seeded Conchita Martinez joined her Spanish compatriot Arantxa Sanchez Vicario on the sidelines, ousted by Natalia Zvereva 6-3, 5-7, 6-4.

Graf routed Marianne Werdel 6-1, 6-1, Sabatini stopped Isabelle Demongeot 6-2, 6-3 and Navratilova put down UCLA's Kimberly Po by sweeping the final set of their 6-2, 3-6, 6-0 suspended match.

''Beating Martina here is the highlight of my career so far and now I have great feelings coming back here,'' said Capriati, who will meet Patricia Hy of Canada in her next match Saturday.

''I don't feel any pressure.''

Capriati played sensationally in the first four games, losing a point apiece in the first two games.

Shriver found her stride and took a 3-1 lead in the second set, but Capriati countered by breaking back at 2-3 and again at 5-4, winning key points with volleys.

Capriati's serve reached 106 mph and she hit 38 winners. She also showed that she can play at the net.

''When I saw a short ball, the first thing in my mind was 'Go to the net, approach it' and that's what I did,'' Capriati said. ''Every time I saw a short ball I tried to come in. Of course, there were still lots I could have come in on, but I did come in more than usual.''

Shriver, a Wimbledon semifinalist in 1981, 1987 and 1988, has plenty of memories on Centre Court, some better than others.

''Every time I go out to play a Centre Court match in singles, I know it could very well be my last one,'' said Shriver, who will turn 30 on July 4. ''I get a little reflective. At the start, I was also tense and when I'm uptight, I don't serve as well. I know I can play well on grass and I want so badly to put it together. I got better as the match went on.''

Shriver had never played Capriati before, but when she was 16, she was in the final of the U.S. Open. There's a bond between the two Americans.

''I think a lot of Jennifer and I know it's not easy having these expectations,'' Shriver said. ''I can relate somewhat to that. I sort of sometimes want to just take her under my wing and say: 'Don't fret over all that stuff. Just go out and keep trying to have a great time with your tennis, show your personality, have a big smile.'

''I think Jennifer's really been handling a lot of this a lot better than what she's given credit for. I think it's very difficult when you do what she did in the first year and you have all the hype. I'm sure in her mind she's thinking 'Well, I should be winning these Grand Slam tournaments.' Well, they don't start giving Grand Slam tournaments away when you're 16, 17 years old. Especially, when you look who's up there. Geez.''

Graf, one of the players up there, believes Capriati can challenge for the title this year.

''I definitely think she's closer to it than a year ago because she's got more experience,'' said Graf, who practiced with Capriati this week. ''She's got more experience on grass, which is what she needed. She definitely has the shots for it, so even if people have been putting her off a few weeks ago, a few months ago, I don't really see it this way.''
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #156

Like any other upstanding American citizen worth her remote control, Martina Navratilova went home and watched television Wednesday night.
USA TODAY
Thursday, June 25, 1992
MIKE DAVIS, Gannett News Service

Like any other upstanding American citizen worth her remote control, Martina Navratilova went home and watched television Wednesday night.

She wasn't viewing sitcoms or game shows, though.

It was a private screening of videotaped lowlights from her match against Kimberly Po, a 20-year-old Californian playing in her first Wimbledon .

Navratilova had won the first set 6-2 but lost the second 6-3, at which point the match was halted due to encroaching darkness shortly before 9 p.m.

She then repaired to her rented house in Wimbledon Village and watched the last two games of the second set, both of which she'd lost.

And, with her batteries recharged by a night's rest, the nine-time women's singles champion came out Thursday afternoon and applied what she learned to punish Po 6-0 in the decisive third set and advance to the third round.

"I watched the last couple games two or three times, and it was very helpful," said Navratilova, 35, seeded fourth.

"I didn't realize how much I was hanging back and hesitating about coming in (to the net). I also saw I should be much closer on her serve, about six feet closer in than I was standing.

"I'd never played against her, never seen her play. So when you see it (on tape), all of a sudden it hits home: `OK, now I know what I have to do.' "

There were suggestions in some of the London newspapers Thursday that Navratilova did what she had to do to get the match suspended Wednesday night. It was she who made the request to the umpire that the tournament referee be called in for a determination if sufficient light remained for play to continue on Court 2, the traditional "graveyard" for seeded players.

After the match was suspended, play continued on several other courts for another 15 or 20 minutes.

Navratilova was asked Thursday if she had employed a little gamesmanship to rob Po, a former UCLA player, of the momentum she'd achieved by winning the second set.

She bristled at the suggestion.

"She didn't want to play, either," Navratilova said. "It was quarter to nine. I mean, we had maybe 15 minutes of decent light left, so what's the point of playing? We can't finish the match. It's much more reasonable to start the set fresh (the next day).

"It was even. Nobody was at a disadvantage. It's just that I was the first one to ask the umpire to call the referee, that's all. The day before they stopped play at seven because it was too dark. I would have asked the same thing if I had won the second set or lost the second set. It made no difference.

"There was no gamesmanship involved. What are you talking about?"

OK, next subject.

Navratilova, who won her record ninth singles title in 1990 but lost to Jennifer Capriati in the quarterfinals last year (another two-day match), had her Wimbledon preparations cut short this year when she lost in the second round to Linda Harvey-Wild in the grass-court warmup event at Eastbourne.

"That was a blow," she said. "The match-play preparation was less than what I would have liked, but hopefully I can get a few more here, then I'll be OK."

So where does that leave her chances of winning?

"I'm an underdog, I just don't know how much of one.

"I wouldn't bet on myself unless I got long odds. ... I think I'd cover my ass. In other words, I'd put some on Steffi (Graf, the defending champion) and some on me. That's two out of four; I think I'd have pretty good chances. Better than putting it in the bank at 6 1/2 percent of whatever."
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #157

IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO WIMBLEDON, HERE'S A LOOK
Scripps Howard News Service
Friday, June 26, 1992
THOMAS O'TOOLE

For 50 weeks every year, the town of Wimbledon sits placidly on the southwest outskirts of London, a quaint, upscale bedroom community filled with commuters who ride 30 minutes on the subway to downtown.

The locals enjoy slow living, good schools, tree-lined streets and friendly pubs. The place is so down-home that the mayor's name is "Slim."

"It's an attractive little town," said Carol Black, a woman in her mid-30s who has lived here since she was 12.

"It's commutable. The tube connections are good. It's just a nice place."

It's also real estate's version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. For two weeks each year starting in late June, the place goes absolutely bonkers. The quiet town of 50,000 suddenly becomes a bustling showpiece as the Wimbledon tennis championships take over.

An invasion of 30,000 outsiders a day stalls traffic, fills pubs to overflowing and turns the area into a tourist attraction. It's a veritable Euro-Dizzy.

The locals, with experience from 106 of these fortnights, know exactly how to deal with the commotion: They leave.

Call it the Augusta Syndrome. Every year prior to the Masters golf tournament, residents of Augsta, Ga., follow the same script, escaping and renting their houses to visitors.

Here, a nice house near the courts can go for $2,000 a week, a price only top tennis players and big business can afford. Two-bedroom flats -- apartments to you -- go for $150 a night. Prices vary by location and quality.

"You've got a nice residential area that you wouldn't recognize when the tournament's going on," said Jane Cousins, a real estate agent. "For two weeks the world descends on it and puts it under a big spotlight. The town is transformed dramatically. Quite a lot of people just leave. They rent out their flats and go on holiday. Unless they're avid tennis fans, I don't blame them."

To get to Wimbledon, you don't go to Wimbledon, unless you have so much money that your chauffeur stops the Rolls outside the gates. The commoners who live or stay in London take the subway to Southfields, a small town about a one-mile walk from the courts.

The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club sits on the edge of Wimbledon, maybe two miles from the town center. The Wimbledon tube stop, last on the District line, is nearly three miles away, too far for most to walk. Southfields, with a fleet of taxis and special buses waiting outside the station, is more convenient.

The walk is pleasant, past row houses and then along a tree-lined stretch with individual family homes, many hidden behind walls and high hedges.

A streetcleaner pushing his cart and picking up trash passes by.

Local residents sell food and drink on their front lawns.

If you drove along this road any other time of year, you might miss the tennis club. Like Augusta National, where the Masters is played, the All England Club is hidden by hedges and a fence. Club property extends along Church Road for about a mile.

Club grounds, which include parking lots, is 42 acres.

Instead of seeing the gate to the tennis club, more than likely your eye would be drawn to the golf course across the street or the spires from homes and churches on a hill in the distance. You'd half expect to see Mary Poppins floating down from the clouds.

This time of year, the scene is unmistakable. Lines of fans begin forming just after dawn, stretching halfway back to Southfields. A limited number of tickets are held each day for the public and more become available as patrons leave.

The golf course is transformed into another parking lot. Only nine holes are available for play during the fortnight. At least they don't put cars on the greens.

Police and marshalls are everywhere along the outside of the tennis club property. So are ticket scalpers. But tougher restrictions have significantly reduced their number.

Everybody tries to make money out of Wimbledon, and many do. St. Mary's Parish of the Church of England, located about a block from the club, adds thousands of pounds to its coffers by converting the grounds into a parking lot and by selling baked goods.

Gouging rental prices is another tactic. One player began staying at a house for a reasonable price before she hit it big. When the owner figured out who she was, the rent quadrupled.

Said the player, "I don't care how rich I am, forget this."

The restaurants and pubs in town swell with business, particularly in the evening. At 9:30 on Wednesday, 10 policemen were working one of the busiest intersections, which is flanked by seven eating and drinking establishments. Traffic was bumper-to-bumper.

"We do double, maybe triple business," said a waiter at the Spaghetti Western, an Italian restaurant.

Adds owner Luigi Ferrara, "Looks like the recession is over."

Ferrara welcomes the influx because of the new and sometimes famous faces. Gabriella Sabatini, the women's third seed, was among the patrons.

"When the residents get out of town, it's good for us," said Ferrara. ''It's a change of pace. We get tired of seeing the same faces. This is nice."

Wimbledon is located in Merton Borough (similar to a county) which has a population of 166,000. Katheline Lambert, a borough official, says no economic impact figures are kept but that the monetary benefits are obvious.

The only people not too happy about the tournament are shopkeepers. Parking restrictions and traffic jams hurt their businesses. Some even close.

Most of the complaints concern traffic. A few residents close to the club are given grounds passes (which exclude seating in the main courts) to make up for the inconvenience.

"One year," said Black, "a lady complained that the TV lights from BBC were too bright in the evenings. She said she had to draw her curtains, something she didn't normally do.

"There are one or two people who will complain in every situation. I don't care for tennis that much, but there is an air of excitement that comes over the town that I really enjoy."

Said Lambert, "The tournament's been going on for so long, they've learned to put up with it."
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #158

Martina uses delay to her advantage
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Friday, JUNE 26, 1992
Josh Young

WIMBLEDON, England - Intimidation has won plenty of matches for top players over the years at Wimbledon. Nobody knows that better than nine-time singles champion Martina Navratilova, who might have saved herself with that very element in the second round.

Navratilova, seeded No. 4, was struggling against Kimberly Po on Wednesday night. After winning the first set, Navratilova played two bad games to lose the second set. Both players knew Navratilova could go either way in the third.

But it was 8:40 p.m. and darkness was setting in. Navratilova asked the umpire to appeal to the tournament referee to stop the match. It seemed OK at the time for Po, but in retrospect it was a good Wimbledon lesson.

"I have trouble seeing at night," said Po, 21, who wears academic-looking glasses. "Now that I look back, I think we shouldn't have stopped. She was definitely getting upset and making a lot of errors."

Navratilova came out yesterday morning and won the third set in just 21 minutes, giving her a 6-2, 3-6, 6-0 victory. When asked about the circumstances of play being stopped Wednesday night, Navratilova defended herself.

"She didn't want to play either," Navratilova said. "We had maybe 15 minutes of decent light, so what's the point of playing to 2-2. I said to the umpire, `Call the referee and see if we have to play.' "

The final match of the day did not finish until 9:13 p.m., or 31 minutes after Navratilova and Po left the court. The final match was not called because of darkness; it merely finished.

Regardless of the decision, Po was admittedly felled by Navratilova's experience. Navratilova watched the television replay of the last two games on Wednesday night and discovered that she wasn't standing close enough to the baseline on her service returns. Po also watched but came away with a different feeling.

"It was weird watching myself play her on TV," Po said. "Everyone kept saying how great it was that I was a set-all with Martina, but I didn't want to talk about it."

It almost was a nice 25th anniversary present for Po's parents, who also came to celebrate their daughter's first Wimbledon.

JIM WHO?

Top seed Jim Courier is halfway to a Grand Slam, but he's not exactly the center of attention. He won his 25th consecutive match to reach the third round yesterday, but he has still not played on Centre Court.

"It doesn't bother me that I haven't played on Centre Court," Courier said after beating Byron Black 6-4, 6-1, 6-4 in the second round. "If you look at Wimbledon tradition, they tend to play the past champions there in the early rounds.

"If I keep doing my job, they'll have to play me there."

HLASEK CLASSIC

On the anniversary of the longest pre-tiebreaker match in Wimbledon history, No. 6 seed Petr Korda and Jakob Hlasek paid tribute to the record with a 71-game match that lasted four hours and nine minutes. Hlasek upset Korda 4-6, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (9-7), 16-14.

They played 444 points in the 16-14 final set (there are no tiebreakers in the fifth set).

"On grass you don't get so tired physically, you have to be ready mentally," Hlasek said. "I'm tired, but I'm not exhausted."

This was not Hlasek's longest match. In 1989 in Dallas, he lost to Ivan Lendl in four hours and 47 minutes.

DRUG TESTS PLANNED

Wimbledon officials plan to conduct random drug testing next year - in response to requests from some top players. The testing, which goes beyond that typically used on the pro tours, is expected to include public disclosure of offenders.

Pam Shriver, president of the Women's Tennis Association, says she doesn't believe drugs are a problem and thinks the current testing system works well.

"There have been no positive tests and the feeling is that no one is cheating," said Shriver. "But I think that if any doubts creep in, from anywhere, then there's no reason why a program can't be broadened to suffocate any and all suspicions."

DOGGIN' IT

Monica Seles may grunt, but Steffi Graf has daily chats with her dogs. At least according to the tabloid The Sun, which reported that the defending women's champion telephones her home in Germany and talks to her German shepherds Max and Zar and boxers Ben and Robbie.

The Sun said she rings the "yelpline" every day and, when she hangs up the phone, the dogs go wild, howling to hear her voice again.

When told of the story yesterday, Graf kept a straight face and put on reporters.

"I call them every morning and every night to talk to them and see how they feel," she said. "They always tell me they miss me."

Then she added: "Sometimes I do get homesick, but I don't talk too often to my dogs."
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #159

Tactical battle blossoms on grass - Wimbledon 1992
The Times
London, England
Friday, June 26, 1992
Rex Bellamy

ON GRASS, which accelerates the rallies, women's tennis is at its best and men's tennis at its worst. Yesterday there were two women's matches at Wimbledon that had much in common, not least the fact that each exposed the tactical treasury of the game to an extent that is rare when men indulge in a violence hostile to the graces.

Jennifer Capriati beat Pam Shriver and Zina Garrison beat Linda Harvey-Wild. The scores were the same: 6-2, 6-4. The players were all Americans. Each match featured players of different tennis generations and contrasting styles: young, hard-hitting baseliners (Capriati and Harvey-Wild) against experienced opponents more interested in the forecourt. Each match, too, featured a seed and Capriati and Garrison justified that distinction.

In truth, the parallels were not so neatly drawn. While Capriati was winning 17 of the first 19 points from Shriver, the teenager was doing far more than blaze away from the baseline. She was inflicting psychological damage on Shriver by winning points with lobs (Shriver is 6ft) and with the volleys and overheads that are Shriver's forte. Moreover, Capriati was reading Shriver's game more fluently than Shriver was reading Capriati's.

Shriver's resistance inevitably stiffened and Capriati, asked to play a different and more difficult kind of match, reverted to type still indulging in the forecourt stuff, but with more discretion.

Tennis is tough for Shriver, partly because she has a bad shoulder and partly because matchplay puts a rein on her loquacity. She talks more than most players do and says a lot more with grimaces and body language.

But tennis must be inhibiting for a fast-talking, politically active businesswoman who is no stranger to state dinners at the White House. On and off court, she has a penchant for one-liners. On court, these take the form of loping to the net and finishing rallies before they get started.

At first Shriver had precious few net gains. She was pinned back or passed, or lobbed. Gradually, though, she found her timing and began to put the pieces together. Her touch became more assured, her advances to the net better prepared and more firmly exploited. She used the court, but so did Capriati. The shifting patterns of the rallies were a joyous reminder that both players have contested Wimbledon semi-finals. Shriver had a break point for a 5-3 lead in the second set but, ultimately, Capriati's backhands were decisive.

Garrison appeared on court with bicycle shorts protruding from her skirt, Harvey-Wild with most of her left leg encased in protective elastic. They looked like outpatients but did not play that way.

As far as 6-2 and 4-1 Garrison, the 1990 runner-up, was so much more versatile, technically and tactically, that the match briefly assumed the nature of a tutorial. Then Harvey-Wild, who beat Martina Navratilova at Eastbourne, began to swing her drives about with increasing ferocity and won 13 points out of 17. Like Shriver, she then discovered that she had too big a hill to climb. Mind you, Garrison was grateful for a terminal double fault.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #160

Navratilova dispels the doubts - Wimbledon 1992
The Times
London, England
Friday, June 26, 1992
Andrew Longmore, Tennis Correspondent

TROUBLES came thick and fast for Andre Agassi yesterday. In the morning, he was fined $1,500 for an audible obscenity in his opening-round match; in the afternoon, he had to struggle, desperately at times, to subdue Eduardo Masso, an Argentinian-born Belgian left-hander, who had only won his first match on grass earlier this week.

Agassi, the No.12 seed, seemed more perturbed by the injustice of his fine than his patchy form. "It's not the money," he said, "it's the principle." He will be appealing.

The villain of the piece, in the American's eyes, is Ken Farrar, the grand slam supervisor, who initially heard the comment, reported it to the umpire and administered the fine. But Agassi would not let the person or the incident spoil his enjoyment of Wimbledon . "That would be a disgrace and it would be giving Farrar a lot more credit than he deserves."

Agassi was the last, but not the least of a distinguished quartet on court two yesterday. He was preceded by two champions of different vintages; first by Martina Navratilova, who had cast off her jitters from the previous evening to beat Kimberly Po, and by Jim Courier, the French Open champion.

To take the ladies first, Navratilova needed just 21 minutes to reach a third-round match against Barbara Rittner when her match resumed at one set all. The end was swift, but not necessarily as convincing as the 6-0 scoreline would suggest. Po, bespectacled and wearing a visor to keep her hair from her eyes, had five chances to break the nine-times champion in the second game and the ease with which the Californian latched on to Navratilova's service does not bode well for the future.

Navratilova, though, was just relieved to dispel the doubts, which had surfaced once more. By the fifth game, she had established such command she was even judging her own lines, ignoring a corrected call by the umpire.

"I was nervous the whole time until I got to 5-0," Navratilova said. "I was a wreck after yesterday, but what was helpful was seeing the last couple of games on television last night. I didn't realise how much I was hanging back.

"I still feel the underdog. I just don't know how much of one. I'm not a betting woman, but I would put some on me and some on Steffi."

The only possible bet on Graf's match yesterday was how many games her opponent, Marianne Werdel, would win. The Californian, ranked 59, had managed just two in her only two encounters with Graf.

The German was talking about dogs too. Did she miss her own, she was asked yesterday? "Of course," she replied in exasperation. "Every morning ... every night. I need to phone them to see how they feel and they always tell me: `we miss you.' "

Courier, ever dogged, gave an object lesson to Byron Black, of Zimbabwe, in the art of taking half-chances. The Zimbabwean had matched the No.1 seed throughout the first set until the tenth game, when he double-faulted to give Courier a glimpse of daylight. Instinctively, he increased the tempo and, with the door ajar, produced two blistering returns to take the first set. The door was wide open thereafter, Courier reaching the third round 6-4, 6-1, 6-4.

Two other seeds laboured for a total of 126 games, but with differing degrees of success. Petr Korda, the sixth, squandered a two-set lead and a match point before going down to Jakob Hlasek, 4-6, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6, 16-14 in four hours and 18 minutes, and Guy Forget, Hlasek's doubles partner, had to recover from 2-1 down to outlast Anders Jarryd, 4-6, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 10-8. Forget now meets his Davis Cup team-mate, Henri Leconte, for the second year in succession at Wimbledon and the second time in the last three grand slams.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #161

PRESSING ISSUES AGASSI'S HAIR, SELES' DIET HOT BRITISH TOPICS
Lexington Herald-Leader
Friday, June 26, 1992
Associated Press

WIMBLEDON, England -- "Are you addicted to butter?" "Have you brought an iron with you?" "Are you going to show all your fans your hair before you win?"

Even presidential news conferences aren't this tough -- or this silly. But such is the line of questioning that Wimbledon competitors are facing this year.

Andre Agassi and Monica Seles have emerged as the favorite fodder for Britain's tabloid press, as their back-to-back appearances in the interview room on Wednesday attest.

Let's start with Agassi:

Q: Andre, can you clear up the mystery about your cap? There is a suggestion that you're losing your hair.

A: Oh, really? Just my lucky white hat. I wore it in Paris and it treated me well, so I'm hoping it will carry me through. Plus I'm growing out the sides of my hair. It's tough to keep it with the bandanna. I have to make sure I style it and keep it with the bandanna so it behaves.

Q: There's been a number of stories in the papers here which suggest that you are losing your hair. Where do you think that comes from?

A: It comes from Britain.

Q: Are you going to show all your fans your hair before you win?

A: I'm sure I will. I'm sure I will play with the bandanna here coming up soon.

Q: But you'll keep the hat on because it's lucky?

A: Yes, with the bandanna.

Q: Why did you take your shirt off? You only got the girls more excited, more than they already were. (Agassi had tossed his shirt into the stands after his victory).

A: Are these questions for real?

Q: Have you brought an iron with you this year?

A: An iron? Next question.

And now onto Seles:

Q: There are a lot of different theories as to whether you are saying anything when you grunt. There is a theory that you are saying 'not me' or 'money.'

A: No. People are always going to try to turn around things. When you watch karate and judo, they make sounds. . . . Because I put so much energy into the ball, the sound comes out. As I said, so many players do that, and I just don't know why it's me to make such a big fuss about it.

Q: What happened to the squeal that was in there? There used to be a squeal as well as a grunt. Is your voice changing?

A: Maybe as you grow older. Yes, it might be. I don't realize I'm doing it, and I don't like so much emphasis on it.

Q: Are you addicted to butter? (The tabloid Today quoted her as saying, 'I eat butter on everything, even pizza -- I must be addicted to the stuff.')

A: No. When you read quotes, you think I did say them, and I did not.

Q: What is your favorite food?

A: Everything. I like everything. I have nothing favorite.

Q: How about butter?

A: I like different kinds of food. You always try to pick on something. If I say I like Madonna, you will automatically say I idolize Madonna. That is a big difference idolizing somebody and liking somebody. If I say I like butter, you will say I idolize butter, I can't live without it. That would make a great commercial, but I think you go a little bit too far, to extremes, with a few things.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #162

EVERT UNDERSTANDS CAPRIATI STRUGGLES
Philadelphia Daily News
Friday, June 26, 1992
Bill Fleischman

Chris Evert, in her role as an analyst on NBC's Wimbledon telecasts, is facing a dilemma that all former players must deal with when they become broadcasters: She knows more than she can share with viewers.

The subject came up this week in a conference call from London when Evert, one of the greatest female tennis players of all time, was asked about Jennifer Capriati's restlessness.

Despite their age differences, Evert (37) and Capriati (16) are friends. Both are from south Florida. Evert's father, Jimmy, coached Capriati when she was 5.

Evert said she has talked with Capriati about her problems that include an overbearing father and sponsor and media obligations.

"That's what makes it difficult in my role as a broadcaster," said the three-time Wimbledon champion. "I am a friend of hers and she tells me things in confidence that I don't want to blab to the whole world."

Evert believes that Capriati still enjoys tennis. It's the offcourt hassles that are annoying her.

"I think she loves to play tennis," Evert said. "It's what goes along with it that she's having problems with right now. When she played the Italian Open, she was a little heavy and the press wrote that she was fat. She was 20 pounds heavier than she is now.

"I don't think she likes being away from her school friends. She doesn't know what is reality. Is reality at home with her friends, or is it here at the big-time pro circuit, with all this publicity? She leads a double life.

"Sometimes when she walks on the court, she looks a bit confused. (But) she's probably happier on the court than she is off the court.

"I'm not surprised that this is happening. Everything is happening so fast for her."

Evert said that one of Capriati's problems is, in her first two years on the tour, "everything was great. (Now) she's also going through puberty. She's put on a few pounds, she's noticing boys. It's very normal, but she's in the spotlight."

NBC's Wimbledon telecasts will be on at noon tomorrow and Sunday (Channel 3).

EDBERG, SELES FAVORED

Evert's choices as Wimbledon singles champions are Stefan Edberg and Monica Seles. A victory for Seles would be her first at Wimbledon and give her a 3-for-3 record in Grand Slam events this year.

Discussing Seles's mysterious last-minute withdrawal from Wimbledon last year, when she was the No. 1 seed, Evert said, "Monica is very young (18), and I don't think she knew the impact she was going to have on Wimbledon. That was bigger news than the tournament itself. For somebody to say 'I'm injured' and then just take off and not tell anybody why she's injured. That's not very professional."
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #163

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Friday, JUNE 26, 1992
Josh Young

A sampling of the best that London's gossip tabs have to offer from Wimbledon:

KEEPING TABS ON GABY

Gabriela Sabatini's day off on Wednesday got more ink than her first-round match. It was also more exciting.

Under the headline "Sa-But-Tini" The Sun ran a picture of her in a crouch with her bottom pointed toward the camera. The Daily Mirror showed the No. 3 seed being pushed into a ball by her coach, Carlos Kirmayr, under the headline, "Miss Grab-atini."

Sabatini shocked the snooty members of the All-England Club by practicing in skimpy, multicolored shorts, and fans flocked to the court in droves to watch.

After a brisk workout and a meeting with her agents in the players' tea room at Wimbledon, Sabatini returned to her flat to rest. She and Kirmayr then dined at Spaghetti Western in Wimbledon Village. They left at 11:30 p.m. so Gaby could get a full night's rest for her match - and from the tabloids.

THE BALD TRUTH

Is Andre Agassi hiding a bald spot under his hat?

Agassi has played his first two Wimbledon matches in a white baseball cap with a ponytail pushing its way through the hole in the back. Despite being pressed by tabloid reporters, Agassi would not deny that he is hiding a bald spot.

"I'm growing it longer on the sides so the headband doesn't really work," Agassi said. "This is my lucky hat. I wore it in Paris and it treated me well. I'm hoping it will carry me through Wimbledon ."

The Daily Mail has started a bald watch. When pointedly asked whether or not he is going bald, Agassi laughed. "Maybe I'll bring out the headband later in the tournament," he said.

COURTS GONE TO GRASS

Pat Cash, the 1988 Wimbledon champion, charged that officials at the All-England Club are keeping the grass longer on the show courts in an effort to curb power tennis.

"The grass is too long," Cash said after his first round win on Tuesday. "They need to groom it. It's hard to play on."

All-England Club chief executive Chris Gorringe said that any difference in the courts from years past has been caused by changing weather patterns.

"Every year things change because of the climate the week before the championships and the forecast for the fortnight. It was much wetter last year, and in view of the fact that the outside courts were used for practice before the tournament, we need to protect them," Gorringe said.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #164

WIMBLEDON UPDATE
The Dallas Morning News
Friday, June 26, 1992
Debbie Fetterman

Key moments from the fourth day of matches at the All England Club in Wimbledon, England:

*ON CENTRE COURT: Jennifer Capriati showed no mercy for elder grass-court sage Pam Shriver, charging to a 4-0 lead in 10 minutes before Shriver finally held serve. Capriati needed 66 minutes to secure a 6-2, 6-4 victory despite Shriver's past success on grass. Shriver has 11 grass-court titles and is the only active player on the tour, other than Martina Navratilova, to have played more than 100 matches at Wimbledon. No matter. Capriati felt no sympathy. "Because when you feel sorry," Capriati said, "then if she gets a couple games, then you don't feel sorry any more, and then you want to get it back, and you can't get it back, and before you know it, you've lost the set or something."

*IN THE CLUBHOUSE: Martina Navratilova will have fellow American athlete Lyn St. James, the 1992 Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year, cheering her on for her third-round match against Barbara Rittner. Navratilova offered St. James encouragement and advice the night before the Indy race, and St. James presumably is returning the favor while passing through London . . . Britain's Jeremy Bates says he is astonished by the fanfare he has received since upsetting No. 7 seed Michael Chang in first-round action Tuesday. "I find it incredible," said Bates, who defeated Javier Sanchez, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3, 6-4, on Thursday. "Everybody wants to have an autograph or take pictures." For example, he said he was home on Wednesday eating lunch when he saw four press people in his garden. "I've been playing tennis for 10 years, and it's never happened to me before."

*IN THE PRESS: One of the British tabloids Thursday said Steffi Graf often gets homesick, so she calls home in Heidelberg and talks to her dogs. She was asked if it were true following her 6-1, 6-1 victory over Marianne Werdel. "Yes," she said. "I mean, I need it every morning, every night. I need to talk to them to see how they feel, and they always tell me: 'We miss you.' I mean, sometimes I do get homesick, but I don't really talk too often to my dogs, really. I don't know. Talk to my dogs?"

*WEATHER WATCH: The quiet dry spell that has hovered throughout the week continued Thursday with intermittent cloudiness. The high surged to 22 degrees Celsius (72 degrees Fahrenheit). After a morning mist, Friday is expected to feature light winds and intervals of sunshine. An afternoon shower cannot be ruled out.

*Agassi fined: No. 12 Andre Agassi launched a bitter attack on tournament supervisor Ken Farrar after being fined $1,500 for swearing on court, the stiffest fine of the championships.

"It's a joke to me that somebody can go out there and toss out warnings like that. I was really disappointed," said Agassi, who plans to appeal.

Agassi lost his cool Tuesday night in a first-round match against Russian Andrei Chesnokov. Farrar happened to be standing within earshot and instructed umpire Jeremy Shales to give Agassi a warning.

Agassi said he did not believe Farrar could have heard what he said.

Texas ties

*Lori McNeil: Houston's McNeil continued her winning grass-court ways, eliminating Rennae Stubbs in second-round action, 6-1, 6-3.

*Zina Garrison: Houston's Garrison, the 1990 Wimbledon finalist, needed 90 minutes to defeated Linda Harvey-Wild, 6-2, 6-4. Garrison also won her first-round doubles match with partner Mary Joe Fernandez. *Christo Van Rensburg: Van Rensburg, who recently moved to Austin, exited in the second round to No. 14 seed Wayne Ferreira, 6-3, 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3.

*Richey Reneberg: Houston's Reneberg teamed with Jim Grabb to win a second-round doubles match against John De Jager and Marcus Ondruska, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5, 6-4.

*Kevin Curren: Curren, who lives in Austin, advanced to second-round doubles action with partner Gary Muller by defeating Tom Nijssen and Cyril Suk, 7-5, 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (7-0), 6-3. Friday's key matches

*Ivan Lendl vs. Sandon Stolle: Lendl, who has struggled in his first two matches, takes on former TCU standout Stolle, who has proven he can compete with the best of players.

*Monica Seles vs. Laura Gildemeister: Seles has beaten Gildemeister in their last two meetings, both on clay. But the Peruvian beat Seles in their first meeting on hardcourts in 1990 and could give the world's No. 1 trouble on grass.

*Goran Ivanisevic vs. Mark Rosset: Ivanisevic, the No. 8 seed, will face an imposing server like himself in what could be a record-setting acing bonanza.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #165

Martina's trick shot saves day - Stich advances to fourth round
Houston Chronicle
Friday, JUNE 26, 1992
Associated Press

WIMBLEDON, England -- Martina Navratilova reached into her bag of tricks today to escape from danger in a third-round match at Wimbledon.

Navratilova hit a behind-the-back shot that led to a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Barbara Rittner.

Facing a break point at 5-5 in the first set, Navratilova hit the reflex volley on a shot rocketed at her by Rittner. The ball flew softly past Rittner and turned the match around.

Rittner smiled and applauded Navratilova, then fell apart.

Navratilova, a nine-time champion, won that game and then quickly broke Rittner's serve to wrap up the set. Rittner, the 1991 Wimbledon junior champion, never recovered.

"It was the most important shot of the match, that's for sure," Rittner said. "I hit it really hard and she didn't know what to do. It was unbelievable -- I haven't seen it before.

"The whole match just turned around on it. Maybe I started thinking about that shot too much. I think she was a little more confident because of that unbelievable shot."

Navratilova, the fourth seed, agreed that point was the key to the match.

"I've hit those before, but I don't think I've hit one at a better time," she said. "I was on the skids at that point. I needed something to happen. That would take the wind out of my sails if someone did that to me. I dodged a bullet there.

"You do hit them in practice, more so than in a match," Navratilova said. "You guess one way and the ball goes the other way. The only way to get there is to hit it behind your back."

Joining Navratilova in the fourth round were 12th seed Katerina Maleeva and 14th seed Nathalie Tauziat. Maleeva defeated Mana Endo 7-5, 6-3 and Tauziat came back for a 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 victory over Nicole Provis.

Tenth seed Anke Huber was eliminated by Yayuk Basuki of Indonesia, 6-2, 6-3.

Defending men's champion Michael Stich, the third seed, strolled to a 6-4, 6-1, 6-3 Centre Court victory over Magnus Larsson to reach the fourth round and Goran Ivanisevic, the eighth seed, advanced with a 7-6 (7-4), 6-4, 6-4 victory over Marc Rosset in a battle of overpowering servers.

Ivanisevic also won the war of aces, serving 22 to 15 for Rosset.

Two men's seeds, Richard Krajicek and Alexander Volkov, lost third-round matches.

Krajicek, the 11th seed, lost 4-6, 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 to Arnaud Boetsch and Volkov, seeded 15th, was defeated 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (10-8) by Henrik Holm.

Krajicek also became the center of controversy with a comment that "80 percent of the top 100 women's tennis players are fat pigs" and by disparaging women's attempts to earn equal prize money at Wimbledon .

That provoked an immediate blast from players such as Navratilova.

"It's insulting to women players. There's no reason to be making statements like that," she said. "My body fat's lower than his.

"There are some men out there who have got pot bellies. That doesn't make them lazy players. You don't judge people by their appearance. It's their ability to play tennis."

On Thursday, former champions John McEnroe and Pat Cash frolicked like a couple of teen-agers on Centre Court, producing great tennis and high drama before McEnroe won in five sets.

McEnroe now wears a knee brace and is losing his hair. Cash spends almost as much time playing guitar as tennis. Both have wedding rings and small children.

But, for four hours, the unseeded veterans created the tension-filled tennis that has been in short supply at a Wimbledon tournament featuring few upsets and many lopsided matches.

They dived after balls and rolled into the net. They cussed at themselves and fussed at line judges. They hit blistering aces and soft drop shots, overhead slams and delicate lobs.

McEnroe, a three-time Wimbledon champion, lost a pair of tie-breakers but rallied to defeat 1987 champion Cash 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 6-7 (1-7), 6-3, 6-2.

"I climbed off the ropes and was able to get a secod wind. He had me on the ropes," McEnroe said. "We both played really hard. It was a great match."

McEnroe, 33, who won his last Grand Slam title in 1984, produced memories of his old brilliance against Cash -- including drop shots, lobs and sharply angled volleys.

McEnroe yelled at himself and line judges, slashed the ground with his racket and showed flashes of his famous temper -- but never lost control.

Cash is six years younger than McEnroe, but has played infrequently this year and fallen to 191st in the world. He said his lack of match experience made it emotionally difficult to finish off the match.

"You just get a bit sick of being a good loser, pushing the guys all the way and not beating them," said Cash, who still wears his trademark black-and-white checkered headband but now also ties his hair back in a sumo-like knot.

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Dec 11th, 2012 at 07:28 PM.