1992 - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 9th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #136
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

MARTINA SHAKES OFF MALEEVA
NINE-TIME CHAMP OVERCOMES NERVES WITH 6-2, 6-2 ROUT
Sun-Sentinel
Wednesday, June 24, 1992
JIM SARNI

WIMBLEDON, England -- Martina Navratilova, nervous?

The woman who has won Wimbledon a record nine times said she was feeling a little shaky about her first-round match with young Magdalena Maleeva on Tuesday.

Losing in the second round last week at Eastbourne, a tournament you've won 10 times, can made a champion feel vulnerable.

''I've been nervous about this match for a week,'' she said. ''I usually don't find out who I play until a couple of days before, but the press told me right away after I lost at Eastbourne, 'It's Maggie Maleeva.' I had just lost to Linda Harvey-Wild, so I didn't think I could beat anybody at that point.''

Navratilova need not have worried. The champ crushed the kid 6-2, 6-2.

''It was just a solid match, exactly how I wanted to get this one behind me,'' said Navratilova, the fourth seed.

The other top seeds in action Tuesday got what they wanted, too. Easy matches.

Defending champion Steffi Graf (2) beat Noelle Van Lottum 6-1, 6-0. Gabriela Sabatini (3), last year's runner-up, defeated Christelle Fauche 6-1, 6-1. Jennifer Capriati (6), a semifinalist a year ago, beat Chanda Rubin 6-0, 7-5. Mary Joe Fernandez (7) defeated Sarah Bentley 6-1, 6-0. Conchita Martinez (8), making her Wimbledon debut, beat Mary Lou Daniels 6-1, 6-0.

Maleeva, 17, the youngest of the three sisters from Bulgaria, returned only half of Navratilova's serves (21 of 42 points), which averaged 89 mph (first serves). Maleeva committed 34 errors and managed but one break point.

Navratilova lost the first set to Elna Reinach before rallying in the first round last year, but that close call never crossed her mind Tuesday.

''If I were losing, I would probably have thought about it, but that didn't happen,'' Navratilova said. ''The court's playing much better this year, the ball's bouncing much higher. Last year, the court was really, really soft.''

Capriati, 16, who lost to Maleeva in Tokyo this year, confronted another member of her generation Tuesday. Rubin, a month older than Capriati, played her first match at Wimbledon Tuesday, and it showed.

The Louisiana teen-ager, who is ranked No. 84, made 51 errors to 24 for Capriati. It could have been over quicker, but Capriati, up 5-1 in the second set, let Rubin back in the match. Rubin won four games in a row to 5-all before Capriati regained the edge.

''She was really going for it in the beginning,'' said Capriati, who will face dangerous Pam Shriver in the second round. ''I just needed to keep the ball on the court and eventually she would miss. Later on, she stopped going for winners and I started missing a few. I should have just put it away, but I didn't.''

Graf showed Van Lottum, the 100th-ranked player from France, no mercy. The German wanted to erase a tough French Open final to Monica Seles.

''I like to jump back on the tennis court after a hard loss,'' said Graf, who spent the last two weeks practicing in London. ''On the day after I lost, I was here. I like to keep on going, try to forget and look forward to the next tournament.''

Graf's determination is no stronger because she lost the last Grand Slam.

''You don't need anything to motivate you more than Wimbledon itself,'' said Graf, who won the title in three of the past four years. ''I'm keen and eager and I like this tournament very much.''

Navratilova likes Wimbledon more than anything, and she's determined to prove that she can win it again at age 35.

''I hope to prove a lot of people wrong,'' said Navratilova, who faces former UCLA All-America Kimberly Po in the second round today.

''I've been reading that I won't win Wimbledon because I'm 35 years old. Another story says this is very probably my farewell. I will tell you when I'll retire; you don't tell me when I retire. I'm certainly not planning on not being here next year. Those kinds of articles really tick me off. But at the same time, I'm grateful that I'm still here. I have no right to be here, but here I am.''
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 9th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #137

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Durie bandwagon derailed - Wimbledon 1992
The Times
London, England
Wednesday, June 24, 1992
Alix Ramsay

IT WAS a hard act to follow, walking onto court 14 after Jeremy Bates had pulled off the best British win in years. The rapidly emptying court had a feeling of anti-climax about it and Jo Durie did little to lift the atmosphere as she lost to Linda Harvey-Wild, of the United States, 6-4, 6-2.

Harvey-Wild has been causing trouble on grass recently - ask Martina Navratilova. After beating the nine-times Wimbledon champion at Eastbourne, she went all the way to the final before falling to Lori McNeil. The Durie bandwagon had been rolling along nicely, too, reaching the semi-finals of Edgbaston and the third round at Eastbourne, but yesterday the wheels came off.

Losing her service with monotonous regularity, Durie was floundering from the start, while Harvey-Wild, encased in bandages on both ankles and most of her left leg, kept her service in working order and waited for Durie to do the rest.

Nothing was going right for Durie; she even lost service for the first time in the second set thanks to an unfortunate net cord.

But these days Durie is more relaxed, enjoying her tennis win or lose and, determined not to go out without a struggle, she fought back from two match points down to claim her first game in six and make Harvey-Wild work a little for her victory.

There was one other British success, even if it was guaranteed from the outset. Shirli-Ann Siddall beat Valda Lake 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 to continue her recent run of wins. She has lifted her ranking nearly 200 places with victories at Beckenham, Edgbaston and Eastbourne, and is now sitting pretty at 252. Not only that, but she has also received her first fan letter. Wimbledon can do that for a girl.

The men also had trouble living up to Jeremy Bates's trailblazing performance. Andrew Castle limped out of the tournament to Leonardo Lavalle, 6-4, 6-0, 7-6. He lost ten games in a row from 4-4 in the first set to put himself within sight of defeat, and then lost an uninspired match with a double fault in the tie-break. It seemed to sum up the entire encounter.

Chris Bailey also found the opposition too hot to handle against Anders Jarryd, losing 6-4, 6-3, 6-0. The defending doubles champion was simply too good for the 24-year-old, showing too much mental and physical agility, breaking Bailey's service in the second set with a full-length diving volley. It may not be in the textbook but it certainly works.

When it comes to lessons, Sarah Bentley was given a masterclass by Mary Joe Fernandez. Bentley entered the draw as the lowest ranked player only to draw the No.7 seed. Fernandez might not be the most natural grasscourt player but she makes few mistakes.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #138

Ranked No. 111, Bowes expects few breaks
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Wednesday, JUNE 24, 1992
Josh Young, SPECIAL TO THE WASHINGTON TIMES

This is another in a series of reports that will appear during the '92 Wimbledon fortnight about some of the players who are the blue-collar workers on the men's and women's pro tours.

WIMBLEDON, England - Beverly Bowes has had better Wimbledons.

Having traveled the world as Chris Evert's hitting partner in 1987, Bowes knows how convenient things can be for the top players. She also knows what it is liked to be ranked No. 111.

Bowes, 26, arrived in London on Monday morning. She had reached the finals of the $25,000 challenger series tournament in St. Simons, Ga., where she lost on Sunday to a 14-year-old Yugoslavian girl.

When Bowes got out of the taxi at the flat she is sharing with doubles partner Shaun Stafford in Wimbledon Village, she felt good. She had sequestered an entire row of four coach seats on the flight from Atlanta, allowing her to sleep for six hours.

Bowes had spoken to three Women's Tennis Association officals about delaying her Wimbledon first-round match against Laura Gildemeister for a day because of her appearance in the challenger series final. She had confirmed the arrangements with a fax from the tournament site in Georgia.

Assured she would not start until Tuesday, Bowes figured she would go to Wimbledon and collect her player pass and then practice on the grass. Perhaps she would also go to the grocery store. It was only 11 a.m.; she had all day.

"You play your singles first match at noon on Court 8, and we drew [Gigi] Fernandez and [Natalia] Zvereva [the No. 2 seeds] in dubs," Stafford said when Bowes walked in.

Welcome to the life of a player who doesn't travel with a coach or have an agent to smooth over the rough edges of the pro tour.

"I called [Wimbledon referee] Alan Mills and said, 'I just got here, and there's no way I can play my first round now,' " Bowes recalled. "He talked to the WTA, and apparently there was some confusion with the person who made the schedule, but they fixed it."

Bowes took the court yesterday at noon and quickly lost the first six games to Gildemeister, a strong baseline player. Playing on Court No. 6 proved distracting as most of the spectators watching Bowes' match were waiting in line to get into Court No. 2.

If Gildemeister's game and the half-interested crowd weren't enough to make for a bad day, Bowes sprained her back in the final game of the match. She ended up losing 6-0, 6-2, which earned her 3,080 pounds (about $5,500).

"I don't know what it is," Bowes said. "It might go away tomorrow, but the doctor said I might not be able to play doubles."

In retrospect it isn't surprising that Bowes never found her form. The challenger tournament she finished on Sunday was played on a slow clay surface, a sharp contrast to the fast grass at Wimbledon .

"I won the challenger last year so I had a lot of [computer ranking] points to defend there," Bowes said. "I could have come to England and practiced on grass for a month, but then I might have drawn Martina. That's why I played the challenger."

Bowes is a long way from 1987, the year she was Evert's hitting partner. All her travel arrangements were handled by Evert's agents. Instead of hoping for an empty flight to get extra seats, she flew first class. She stayed in the best hotels, not a small flat where the hot water only works part time.

Evert's coach, Dennis Ralston, worked with Bowes, and Evert was her daily hitting partner. Consequently, her ranking hit a career high No. 46 during that period.

"Chris and Dennis helped me a lot," Bowes said. "The biggest difference between being Chris and being No. 111 was convenience. We always got a whole court to practice on whenever we wanted, and matches were always at the best times."

Still, Bowes likes the tour and plans to play as long as she has fun and makes money. Is there anything else she would rather be doing?

"Joan Lunden's job would be nice," she said.

WORKING CLASS AT WIMBLEDON

* Who: Beverly Bowes.

* WTA rank: No. 111.

* Vitals: Age 26; 5 feet 7, 145 pounds; born in Highland Park, Ill.; resides in San Antonio and Lubbock, Texas.

* The rest: Bowes turned pro in 1987 and achieved a career-high ranking of 46 in 1987. . . . Former hitting partner of Chris Evert. . . . University of Texas graduate. . . . Has been playing tennis since age 7. . . . Right-handed with two-handed backhand.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #139

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Wednesday, JUNE 24, 1992
Josh Young

A sampling of the best that London's gossip tabs have to offer from Wimbledon:

ELVIS, BRITS LONG SHOTS

Bookmaker William Hill is currently serving up 1,000-1 odds on the following: a British player winning the singles at Wimbledon , the Archbishop of Canterbury confirming the Second Coming or Elvis Presley performing live again.

"Although some 4 million pounds [about $7.25 million] has been wagered on Wimbledon with British bookmakers, none of it has yet been bet on the chances of a British winner of the men's or women's singles," said Hill spokesman Graham Sharpe. "In fact, we have actually taken bets on the Second Coming and on Elvis, but not on a British tennis player for this fortnight."

Odds offered on the men's side include Stefan Edberg at 9-4, Jim Courier at 11-2, Michael Stich at 11-2, Boris Becker at 5-1, Andre Agassi at 14-1, David Wheaton at 22-1, Ivan Lendl at 40-1 and John McEnroe at 66-1. First-round loser Jimmy Connors was 100-1.

Odds offered on the women's side include Steffi Graf at 6-4, Monica Seles at 2-1, Gabriela Sabatini at 9-2, Martina Navratilova at 7-1, Jennifer Capriati at 16-1, Jana Novotna at 66-1, Zina Garrison at 100-1 and Lori McNeil and Katerina Maleeva at 150-1.

The odds on Becker narrowed from 6-1 to 5-1 yesterday morning after William Hill took a 4,000-pound (about $7,200) bet on Monday. The bookmaker also received a 4,000-pound bet on Graf but has not yet narrowed the odds.

THE HOUSING CRUNCH

The top players are reportedly paying up to 1,100 pounds (about $1,900) per day to rent the top houses in Wimbledon.

Ivan Lendl is paying the most - 1,100 pounds per day - for a house worth 800,000 pounds (about $1.4 million). The house has a large garden and overlooks the Wimbledon Common. Steffi Graf is shelling out 1,000 pounds per day for actress Tessa Wyatt's house.

Monica Seles is staying about 300 yards from Graf on Somerset Road, directly across the street from the All England Club. She is paying a reported 6,000 pounds for the fortnight, a bargain compared to her peers.

John McEnroe, wife Tatum O'Neal and their three children have bucked the trend of staying in Wimbledon village. Instead, they have opted for London's Hyde Park Hotel.

GRUNT-O-METER RESULTS

Gruntologists all over London were called to Wimbledon to examine Monica Seles' grunt. The verdict: It is louder than a diesel train but slightly lower than a pneumatic drill.

A noise meter was installed 40 feet from the baseline on Court No. 1. The meter registered Seles' top grunt at 96.23. A diesel train registers around 80 while a pneumatic drill at full speed registers slightly over 100. A jet plane measures 125 decibels.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #140

After going to a Guns N' Roses concert and a ballet, no wonder Steffi looked bored at the Chinese restaurant...

BATES GIVES BRITS A SHOT OF PRIDE AT WIMBLEDON : OTHER NOTES
Scripps Howard News Service
Wednesday, June 24, 1992
THOMAS O'TOOLE

During an angry tirade over a penalty he received last week in a grass tournament, England's Jeremy Bates threatened to retire.

That prompted one British reporter to write that Bates' threat reminded him of the time someone was told that Calvin Coolidge had died and replied, ''How can you tell?"

So it has been with Bates' ho-hum tennis career. He's Britain's best, but the world's 113th. And all too often, he doesn't do much on the court. So if he retired, how could you tell?

Nevertheless, on Tuesday, he gave his homeland a rare chance to celebrate at Wimbledon with a 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 over seventh-seeded American Michael Chang.

"I'm delighted," he said. "Everybody in this country knows who Chang is. This is one of the best wins of my career. It's probably the best place to win a match."

But Bates was then peppered with questions about the sorry state of English tennis. No Brit has won men's singles since 1936. The betting odds on one doing it this summer are 1,000 to 1.

Bates has never been ranked higher than 63rd in 10 years as a pro. He admittedly is in an "intense two or three-year push" to salvage his career.

So at first, he tried to downplay the significance of the victory.

"You have to put it in perspective," said Bates. "I've won one match. I'm not putting it down. It's one of the best wins I've ever had, but it's not going to change the face of tennis."

But as questions persisted about English tennis, he finally said in exasperation, "The jokes are usually from the press, not the other players. They can't believe what the press says about us. Can we just do a press conference about my match?"

-- And you thought Andre Agassi was going to stir things up. Not so.

Bryan Shelton, one of the humblest, low-keyed players on the tour, was told to change his clothes prior to Tuesday's match with Kevin Curren because they didn't conform to the club's all-white policy. Shelton was wearing light-gray thigh-warmers which extended a few inches below his shorts. As soon as he walked onto the court, he was told to change.

"They actually went and got me some white ones," said Shelton. "I guess they're prepared for everything here."

Shelton didn't think he would be in violation because the tights are so close to white in color. He wore white ones on Monday, when his match with Curren began. It was suspended because of darkness while tied at two sets each. Shelton finally won the most gruelling duel of the tournament so far, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 9-7.

"That match mentally was more tiring than physically," said the former Georgia Tech player. "It was kind of a blessing (that they stopped Monday). My back was beginning to stiffen up. It was good for me to have the break so I could get some rest and treatment. I felt a lot better."

-- Rumors in British papers have said that defending champ Steffi Graf had been teaching Prince William and Prince Harry, the children of Prince Charles and Lady Di. On Tuesday, Graf said that wasn't true, but she wished it were.

"I've never been contacted, but I wish someone would call," she said after a straight-set first-round victory. "I'm ready for it. I'd love to do it."

Graf, a loser in that epic French Open final to Monica Seles last month, seems relaxed and confident as she goes after her fourth Wimbledon title. She attributes her attitude partly to the last two weeks she spent going to shows and concerts in London. Included in what she saw were Guns n' Roses, Prince and the ballet.

-- John McEnroe may not be the player he once was, but he hasn't lost a thing when it comes to dealing with reporters. When asked whether he thought being married might hurt the careers of some players because of the family demands, McEnroe replied, "I'd rather not answer that. It's an absurd question, not worth the paper you're writing on."

-- Pam Shriver, appearing in her 14th Wimbledon , staged one of the day's best comebacks. She lost the first set 6-1 to Elena Brioukhovets of The Commonwealth of Independent States and trailed 3-1 in the second. She recovered to win 11 of the next 12 games and wound up winning the match, 1-6, 6-3, 6-1.

She might not be as fortuate the next time. Her second-round opponent is sixth-seeded Jennifer Capriati, who at 16 is 13 years younger than Shriver.

-- An omen? The last No. 1 seed to win Wimbledon was John McEnroe in 1984. That's also the last time an American won. Are you listening Jim Courier?

-- The first fines have been handed out. American Jim Grabb was hit for $1,000 for his actions during a first-round match, which he lost. Diego Nargiso of Monte Carlo was fined $500. These are just pocket change compared with the $10,000 John McEnroe was given for language last year.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #141

Poor Pam is officially declared irrelevant...

Shriver meets Capriati upon return to Centre Court
The Sun
Baltimore, MD
Thursday, June 25, 1992
Don Markus

WIMBLEDON, England -- The last time Pam Shriver played singles on Centre Court at the All England Club, she was ranked fifth in the world. She might as well have been 500th, the way she played that day against Steffi Graf in the 1988 semifinals of Wimbledon.

"I felt naked,'' she said of the straight-set blowout by Graf.

Today, feeling fully clothed and almost fully capable, Shriver returns to the biggest stage in tennis, looking to upset sixth-seeded Jennifer Capriati in a second-round match of the 106th Championships. It will mark the first meeting between two players who represent different generations and play different games.

It's the serve-and-volley finesse of Shriver vs. the bash-from-the-baseline power of Capriati. It's a 29-year-old whose star has faded against a 16-year-old whose priorities have changed drastically since she beat Martina Navratilova here in the quarterfinals a year ago.

"I'm looking forward to it,'' Shriver said Tuesday, after coming from down 1-6, 1-3 to beat Elena Brioukhovets of the Ukraine in the opening round. "It's nice to play the top players. I got to play Billie Jean King as I was coming up and now I'm playing Capriati. I'm like a bridge.''

Shriver, who has played well on grass of late, hopes this bridge extends into the third round. Currently stuck in a holding pattern since her return from shoulder surgery two years ago -- she is ranked 32nd -- Shriver could use her match against Capriati as a gauge to measure her comeback.

And she will use her return to Centre Court as a means to bury her disastrous semifinal losses there to Graf in 1987 and 1988. In losing four straight sets, Shriver won a grand total of five games. Though she has won big matches there before -- including an upset of Tracy Austin in the 1981 quarterfinals -- the losses to Graf are still fresh in Shriver's mind.

"In 1987, I had no arm left after going 10-8 in the third the day before,'' she said. "In 1988, I was annoyed that I was the only semifinalist not to have a look at Centre Court before I played there.''

This time, she is in relatively good physical shape, considering she's been playing professionally for nearly as long as Capriati has been alive. But her opening-round match did not make for any grand delusions.

"My confidence might come back [against Capriati],'' said Shriver, "and it might not.''

While Shriver has been looking forward to her match on Centre Court against Capriati since stepping off Court 3 Tuesday afternoon, it doesn't seem to be that big a deal to the phenom.

After her opening-round victory over 16-year-old Chanda Rubin, Capriati was asked about Shriver. She stared blankly, then rambled on about, "It's great that she's playing, if that's what she wants to do.'' Capriati had no idea Shriver was her next opponent.

"Is that who I'm playing?'' she asked.

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Dec 10th, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #142

SANCHEZ VICARIO OUT IN WIMBLEDON UPSET - Fifth seed falters on grass against Halard
The Dallas Morning News
Thursday, June 25, 1992
Debbie Fetterman

WIMBLEDON, England -- Spain's Arantxa Sanchez Vicario will begin preparing for the Olympics in her hometown of Barcelona earlier than she had expected. The fifth-seeded Spaniard will have an additional week after losing in Wednesday's second-round Wimbledon action to the world's No. 23-ranked player, Julie Halard of France, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3.

Sanchez Vicario joined Michael Chang, who lost Tuesday, as a highly seeded, baseline-hugging, clay-court specialist who was unable to adapt to the erratic Wimbledon grass. For Sanchez Vicario, the unpredictable, low bounces on Court 1 often made attempts at baseline rallies futile. Although she advanced to the Wimbledon quarterfinals in 1989 and again last year, she hasn't gotten past the second round in four of her six appearances.

Like Chang, however, she leaves believing she can win on grass. She said she simply did not play well against an opponent she twice had beaten -- once at Wimbledon in 1989.

"Maybe two years ago, I thought that I could not play on the surface, but now my mentality has changed," she said. "I think today was not a good day for me. But anyway, I think positive . . . I am going to try next year."

Sanchez Vicario was not the only women's seed eliminated in third-day action. No. 15 seed Kimiko Date of Japan lost to unseeded American Gigi Fernandez, 6-1, 6-3. Another seed, No. 4 Martina Navratilova, was struggling when her match against Magdalena Maleeva was suspended because of darkness. Navratilova had breezed through the first set, 6-2, before dropping the second, 6-3.

No. 9 seed Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere advanced to the second round in the resumption of her darkness-delayed match begun Tuesday. No. 1 Monica Seles, No. 7 Mary Joe Fernandez and No. 12 Katerina Maleeva advanced to the third round.

In men's action, 12th-seeded Andre Agassi faced triple break point when he resumed play Wednesday against Moscow's Andrei Chesnokov. He double-faulted, and trailed, 3-1, early in the third set. But he immediately broke back and won the match, 5-7, 6-1, 7-5, 7-5.

Eight other men's seeds -- No. 2 Stefan Edberg, No. 3 Michael Stich, No. 5 Pete Sampras, No. 8 Goran Ivanisevic, No. 10 Ivan Lendl, No. 11 Richard Krajicek, No. 13 Brad Gilbert and No. 15 Alexander Volkov -- advanced to the third round.

Sanchez Vicario almost exited sooner than the match's one hour, 56 minutes. She trailed, 6-3, 2-0, before rallying to win six consecutive games and take the second set. The aggressiveness she used to dominate the second set disappeared late in the third.

With the match 3-3, Halard broke Sanchez Vicario's serve. In the eighth game, Halard aced her on the first point, then used her overpowering serve to leave Sanchez Vicario on the defensive.

"This was one of my best victories," Halard said. "It's better to play her on grass than on a clay court because on clay, she can win. It's easier to beat her on grass. She's less confident."

Sanchez Vicaro had opportunities to hold serve in the ninth game. but Halard finally broke her when a Sanchez Vicario forehand crosscourt sailed long on the first match point.

"I had some chances, but I didn't take it," Sanchez Vicario said. "So this is why I lost the match. I am not very disappointed because anything can happen on this surface. She had a better day, and she beat me."
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #143

Halard's power sufficient to subdue Sanchez - Wimbledon 1992
The Times
London, England
Thursday, June 25, 1992
Andrew Longmore, Tennis Correspondent

NOT for the first time in a chequered career at Wimbledon, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario discovered that a fighting spirit and endless stamina are not strong enough weapons to prevail on grass. In the first big shock in the women's singles at the Wimbledon championships, the No. 5 seed was beaten in three sets by Julie Halard in just under two hours yesterday. It will be little consolation for the Spaniard to know that it was quite comfortably the best match of the week so far.

The Frenchwoman paints in her spare time and has the gentle voice and manner of the artist, but she showed no shortage of killer touch yesterday, surviving the Spaniard's determined fightback to win 6-3, 2-6, 6-3.

Nevertheless, even that surprise might have been put in the shade had Kimberley Po been allowed to maintain her momentum against Martina Navratilova in the evening gloom of court two. Having won the first set, the nine-times champion dropped the second to the American and was only too happy to retreat to the sanctuary of the locker-room when the match was finally called off.

Navratilova might recall that a similar overnight halt did nothing to help her last year against Jennifer Capriati in the quarter-final, and her lack of sparkle was all too reminiscent.

Halard, aged 21, was well prepared for her tilt at the Wimbledon windmill. She practised with the German, Anke Huber, at Wentworth last week and for a week on grass before that in France, and clearly fancied her chances against Sanchez Vicario, whose record reflects her hazy grasp of lawn tennis. Two quarter-finals, in 1989 and 1991, have been balanced by three first-round defeats.

Halard has shown promise on grass before, reaching the final of junior Wimbledon in 1987. "Then I just hit the ball hard," she said. "No serve, no volley. Nothing. It was not really my surface." With a few twiddles, that is roughly what she did yesterday.

Sanchez Vicario's one compensation was that she could concentrate fully on her preparations for the Olympic Games in Barcelona next month. Perhaps half of her mind was already taken up by thoughts of gold medals because she was not as bouncy and aggressive as usual.

There were early hints of an upset. Halard, ranked No. 23, won four of the first five games with a series of raking forehands and punishing serves. The Spaniard had little to offer in return, other than a priceless refusal to stop running, but she finally found her own indestructible stride to take six games in a row from 2-0 down in the second and level the match.

Drop shots, lobs, passes on forehand and backhand both girls explored every angle and every blade of grass on court one before Halard's forehand finally proved stronger than Sanchez Vicario's wit. Serving to stay in the championships at 3-5, a half-volley and a forehand long sealed the Spaniard's fate and sent Halard through to a third round match against Helena Sukova, who is rather more the archetypal grass-court player.

Coincidentally, Halard's compatriot, Nathalie Tauziat, was involved in the other main tussle of the day. As the No. 14 seed, though, Tauziat was expected to win against Natalia Medvedeva. Medvedeva's brother, Andrei Medvedev, had covered himself in glory by reaching the quarter-finals of the French Open on his grand slam tournament debut last month and there was a spring in the Ukrainian's step which suggested she wanted to follow suit.

She certainly plays much the same way, two-handed on the backhand with a hefty thump on the forehand, and Tauziat had her hands full most of the one hour and 40 minutes. Medvedeva led by a break in the third set, but began to try things which were beyond her scope, perhaps out of a growing sense of fatigue, and allowed Tauziat back into the match. From 3-1 up, Medvedeva conceded five games in a row, losing 7-5, 2-6, 6-3. Monica Seles, meanwhile, beat Sabine Appelmans 6-2, 6-3.

Andre Agassi will learn this morning if he has been fined for an audible obscenity during his first-round match against Andrei Chesnokov. The American has appealed against the code violation and accused Ken Farrar, the supervisor for the International Tennis Federation, of waging a personal vendetta against him after incidents at the US Open two years ago.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #144

TENNIS: Sanchez Vicario Upset By Halard of France
New York Times
ROBIN FINN
June 25, 1992

WIMBLEDON, England, June 24— Just three years ago, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario took a look at Wimbledon's green lawns and longed to be back on the red clay in Paris, where she made professional history and a personal breakthrough as the 17-year-old French Open champion. Grass, she sneered, was meant for cows.

Today, Sanchez Vicario, seeded fifth and confident that her all-court game would carry her through to a respectable round, was upset, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3, in the second round by an astonished French underdog, Julie Halard.

"I'm not very disappointed, because anything can happen on this surface," said Sanchez Vicario, who was undone by Halard's confident serves and razorlike forehand.

"You really have to concentrate 100 percent, and probably today I was not there 100 percent, and this is why I lost the match," said the normally dogged Spaniard, who surrendered the match by pumping a pair of forehands out of bounds at break and match point.

"It was better for me to play her on grass instead of on clay, because on clay she can win but on grass she has less confidence, and today she didn't go to the net," said the 21-year-old Halard, who not only worked on her own serve-and-volley technique before this event but wasn't afraid to put her practice to its intended use. Sukova Is Next

On her first competition on grass, Halard reached the final of the junior tournament here in 1987 without a vibrant serve and with a nonexistent volley. "I just hit the ball hard, but this time it's going to be different because I can serve-and-volley," she said. Halard, ranked 23d in the world, will face a veteran of that style, Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia, in the third round.

Sanchez Vicario, now bound for the Olympics and her favorite surface, was the first seeded woman to lose, but she was soon followed by 15th-seeded Kimiko Date, the first Japanese woman ever seeded at Wimbledon. Unseeded Gigi Fernandez defeated Date, 6-1, 6-3. Top-seeded Monica Seles and seventh-seeded Mary Joe Fernandez moved into the third round without incident, but nine-time champion Martina Navratilova had just been forced into a third set by 87th-ranked Kimberly Po when darkness suspended their match.

On the men's side, Andre Agassi lost his shirt -- which he snaked over his head and hoisted to a lucky recipient in the gallery of fans emitting most un-Wimbledonlike shrieks -- but managed to tame Andrei Chesnokov of Russia in four sets. The match had been interrupted by darkness Tuesday night after each player had won a set. When the contest resumed today, Agassi double-faulted on game point in the fourth game to fall behind, 3-1.

But Agassi broke back and, helped along by a multitude of errant backhands from the 31st-ranked Chesnokov, advanced, 5-7, 6-1, 7-5, 7-5 to face a posse of British tabloid reporters intent on proving his white baseball cap is actually a decoy for a receding hairline.

"It's my lucky white hat from Paris," demurred Agassi, who wore it there to commemorate his first Grand Slam doubles effort alongside John McEnroe, who tutored him in the daring airborne volleys he released today.

Goran Ivanisevic, seeded eighth and set to face a fellow sonic server, Marc Rosset, in the third round, pelted Mark Woodforde of Australia with 34 aces, four of them in a single game, during an occasionally farcical 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (7-4), 6-3 victory.

By the third set, Woodforde had despaired of returning Ivanisevic's serve in the conventional manner, so he tried using his racquet handle. When that didn't work, Ivanisevic attempted to serve that way, missed the ball, and then switched to his right hand and sent Woodforde the slowest serve of the tournament, a 37 mile-per-hour floater.

The defending men's champion, Michael Stich, recovered from a slow start against Amos Mansdorf and posted a 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3, 6-3 victory. Stefan Edberg needed two tie breakers in downing Gary Muller in straight sets, and Pete Sampras endured three tie breakers, fumbling away two match points in the third set, before subduing Todd Woodbridge, 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (7-9), 6-4. Ivan Lendl termed his match with big-serving Arne Thoms "basically a shootout," and outaced the German, 16-13, in a 7-5, 7-6 (8-6), 1-6, 7-5 victory.

MATCH POINTS

Members of the Wimbledon seeding committee were able to heave a somewhat smug sigh of relief Wednesday when 10th-ranked CARLOS COSTA of Spain, whom they ignored in their seedings, lost to Sweden's 37th-ranked MAGNUS LARSSON, 7-5, 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 6-4 in the second round.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #145

MARTINA IN A DARK PO TIE
FIRST SEEDS TO FALL: SANCHEZ AND DATE
Sun-Sentinel
Thursday, June 25, 1992
JIM SARNI

WIMBLEDON, England -- Martina Navratilova was back in the twilight zone Wednesday, deadlocked at a set apiece with Kimberly Po when darkness descended on Court 2.

The nine-time champion won the first set 6-2, but Po, a 20-year-old UCLA grad ranked No. 87 and playing her first Wimbledon, took the second 6-3. Their second-round match resumes today.

Navratilova was in the same surprising situation three years ago against another little-known player.

Navratilova and Kristine Radford, an Australian upstart who was playing in a pair of Navratilova's borrowed sneakers, split sets in the same round on the same court when darkness halted play. Navratilova returned to complete a 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory.

While Navratilova hangs on, the first two women's seeds fell Wednesday. Julie Halard ousted Arantxa Sanchez Vicario (5) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3, and Gigi Fernandez defeated Kimiko Date (15) 6-1, 6-3.

Top-seeded Monica Seles and Miami's Mary Joe Fernandez (7) reached the third round. Seles defeated Sabine Appelmans 6-3, 6-2, and Fernandez bounced Nanna Dahlman 7-5, 6-2.

Gigi Fernandez nearly quit in the final set of her first-round match. Down 0-3 to Donna Faber and bothered by a pulled quadriceps muscle, Fernandez thought about retiring.

''I didn't quit because this is Wimbledon ,'' said Fernandez, 28. ''If it had been any other tournament, I would have.''

Fernandez rallied to beat Faber and keep her date with Wimbledon's first Japanese seed.

It was an upset, in that Fernandez is a serve-and-volleyer and Date does not like grass.

''I beat her before on hardcourt, and I knew she was not happy on grass,'' Fernandez said. ''I felt good about playing her.''

Sanchez's was another upset. Sanchez won the French Open on clay, but she doesn't do well on grass. Sanchez has reached the quarterfinals twice, but she has also lost in the first round three times.

''It's better to play her on grass than on clay, because on clay she can win,'' said Halard, a 21-year-old Frenchwoman who had lost two matches to Sanchez on other surfaces.

''You have to concentrate 100 percent on grass, and I was not there 100 percent,'' Sanchez said. ''That is why I lost the match.''

Like Mary Joe, Gigi Fernandez has Miami ties. She was born in Puerto Rico and lived in Miami until moving to Aspen, Colo., three years ago.

''It's very peaceful in Aspen,'' she said. ''Miami made me homesick because it was so much like Puerto Rico.''

Fernandez is highly regarded as a doubles player -- she won the French Open with Natalia Zvereva and was ranked No. 1 at one time last year -- but she could do some more damage in singles.

Fernandez faces Claudia Porwik of Germany in the third round, but with a victory, she could get a shot at Seles. Fernandez reached the U.S. Open quarterfinals last year, her best Grand Slam singles result, before losing to Seles 6-1, 6-2. Fernandez would love to take her chances on grass.

''Grass suits my game,'' said Fernandez, who is ranked No. 26 in singles. ''I serve-and-volley, and the ball shoots through a little bit faster on grass.''

Fernandez can equal her best Wimbledon -- the fourth round in 1987 -- with another victory.

''I don't know if Wimbledon is my favorite tournament, but it is the most prestigious Grand Slam,'' she said. '' Wimbledon is the ultimate in tennis. Everyone grows up dreaming of playing here. It's very special.''

Fernandez will keep playing at Wimbledon -- she has women's doubles and mixed doubles -- as long as her leg holds up.

''It gets better and better each day,'' she said.

Fernandez pulled the muscle during a doubles match at Eastbourne last week.

''I've been praying for rain all week. I'm the only player at Wimbledon who wants rain.''
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #146

Sanchez Vicario ousted by Halard
Washington Post
Thursday, JUNE 25, 1992
ALISON MUSCATINE

WIMBLEDON , England -- There was an outbreak of silliness at Wimbledon on Wednesday. Andre Agassi blew kisses to the crowd, Monica Seles was asked about the size of her backside, and in the midst of these absurdities a top player was quietly retired from the tournament.

Arantxa Sanchez Vicario of Spain, a baseline specialist who was seeded fifth, faltered on the speedy grass and became the second major casualty of the tournament. The culprit was Julie Halard, a hard-hitting 21-year-old from France, whose 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 upset was the biggest win of her career.

"Anything can happen on this surface," said Sanchez Vicario, 20, who won the French Open in 1989 and had twice progressed to the quarterfinals here. "You have to concentrate 100 percent. Probably today I wasn't there 100 percent."

Others trembled, but not as badly. Martina Navratilova, a nine-time champion, split the first two sets 6-2, 3-6, against No. 87 Kimberly Po, a 20-year-old from California, before their match was suspended overnight because of darkness. Defending champion Michael Stich had a scare on Court 2 before defeating Israel's Amos Mansdorf 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3, 6-3. And second-seeded Stefan Edberg won in straight sets over Gary Muller of South Africa 7-6 (7-3), 6-3, 7-6 (7-4).

Pete Sampras, the American seeded fifth, strained even harder before he toppled Australia's Todd Woodbridge 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (9-7), 6-4. Sampras' labors paid off, advancing him to the third round for the first time here.

Tenth-seeded Ivan Lendl had a slightly easier passage but still needed four sets to defeat an obscure 21-year-old German, Arne Thoms, 7-5, 7-6 (8-6), 1-6, 7-5. And Croatia's Goran Ivanisevic, the eighth seed, served 34 aces on his way to a 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (7-4), 6-3 victory over Mark Woodforde of Australia.

Agassi had to struggle, too, before defeating Russia's Andrei Chesnokov in a match suspended because of rain and darkness Tuesday night at one set apiece and Agassi serving at 1-2, 0-40 in the third.

But Agassi, who won over the British when he returned to Wimbledon last year and gleefully adhered to the predominantly white clothing rule, had no problem being the darling of the local fans. After his victory Wednesday, the shaggy-haired American received a screeching ovation, which prompted him first to bow dramatically, blow kisses to the crowd and then finally strip off his shirt and hurl it into the stands.

Later, he was asked an array of ludicrous questions by the British press, including whether he has taken to wearing a white cap during matches because he is balding. "Are these questions for real?" he said laughing.

No player, however, was subjected to as ridiculous a news conference as the top-seeded Seles. Seles was accorded the privilege of her first Centre Court appearance in two years and neatly disposed of Belgium's Sabine Appelmans 6-3, 6-2. Afterward, she was asked about her grunting, whether she is addicted to butter and whether she had gained weight.

The 18-year-old Yugoslav deserved a medal for showing a sense of humor in the face of such inquiries. The stories, she said cheerfully, were the product of "people who have nothing to do all day (except) come out with headlines so they can sell papers. You can laugh at these stories. I think the No. 1 player is always going to get controversy."

As for her tennis, Seles said her game is on track except for her service return. "I'm definitely going to have to return a lot better," she said.

Perhaps the tournament needed some foolishness off the courts to compensate for the lack of upsets on them. So far, it has been a remarkably upset-free Wimbledon , with No. 7 Michael Chang and Sanchez Vicario the top seeds to have been dismissed.

Like Chang, who lost to Britain's Jeremy Bates on Tuesday, Sanchez Vicario encountered an opponent having a great day. Halard, a somewhat rangy righthander with a big serve and forehand, showed uncommon poise as she drilled crosscourts that kept Sanchez Vicario constantly on the run.

"I don't feel disappointed," she said. "She played better than me, and she beat me."
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #147

Attention again shifts from rackets to rumors - Waistlines, hairlines latest gossip material
The Sun
Baltimore, MD
Thursday, June 25, 1992
Don Markus

WIMBLEDON, England -- Tennis questions, anyone?

After three days of fairly routine results and no appreciable amount of rain, the most intriguing aspect of the 106th Wimbledon has more to do with rumors than facts.

Rumor: Monica Seles is addicted to butter and is gaining so much weight that Fila has asked her to stop wearing body-hugging outfits. Also, tournament officials have told her she might start getting penalized for grunting on every point.

Fact: Seles, the women's top seed, advanced yesterday with a -- grunt -- 6-3 -- grunt -- 6-2 second-round victory over Sabine Applemans of Belgium. When asked if she could stop grunting, Seles said, "If I do that, they will pick on something else. . . . Then my skirt will be too short.''

Rumor: Andre Agassi is wearing a cap while playing because he is hiding an increasing hair loss. He is also reportedly upset about the warning he received for spewing an obscenity Tuesday night in his rain-delayed first-round match against Andrei Chesnokov of Russia. The match was finished yesterday before a crowd seemingly made up solely of British schoolgirls.

Fact: Agassi, seeded 12th, also made it to the third round, with a -- squeal -- 5-7, 6-1, 7-5 -- squeal -- 7-5 victory over Chesnokov. When asked where that piece of news about his hair might have come from, Agassi said, in all seriousness, "It comes from Britain.''

It wasn't big news yesterday that No. 5 seed Arantxa Sanchez Vicario of Spain was stunned by Julie Halard of France, thus becoming the first women's seed to lose. It wasn't big news that the rain has held off for most of the first three days, which is probably some sort of Wimbledon record. It wasn't big news -- not yet anyway -- that nine-time champion Martina Navratilova split her first two sets with Kimberly Po.

What got the biggest cheer, especially from the teen-age girls sitting above Centre Court, was the way Agassi turned his post-match celebration into some sort of wet T-shirt contest, peeling off his sweaty top and flinging it 20 rows into the stands. So what if Agassi seemed to feel comfortable at the net?

At his news conference later, a reporter who last year wrote a story at Wimbledon that the mysteriously absent Seles was pregnant ("Wimblemum'' was the headline) had two questions for Agassi: Andre, why did you take your shirt off? You got the girls more excited, more than they already were? "Are these questions for real?'' he asked incredulously.

Now seriously folks, for the most part, the start to what is the most famous fortnight in sports has gotten off to a rather sluggish, albeit dry, start. Consider the defeat of Sanchez Vicario, one of the few women aside from Seles and Steffi Graf to be given a legitimate chance of winning.

That Halard, ranked 23rd in the world, advanced to the third round of Wimbledon for the first time wasn't nearly as interesting as, say, Goran Ivanisevic of Croatia hitting one of his serves right-handed after it became apparent that Mark Woodforde of Australia wasn't going to return his powerful left-handed serve. Woodforde, who is also a lefty, hit the return right-handed. Weakly.

Earlier, a frustrated Woodforde had swung his racket playfully by the top of the strings and Ivanisevic made as if he were going to hit the ball with the head, as if he were using a bat. But Ivanisevic had second thoughts about changing tactics, considering that his 34 aces were the second-most in Wimbledon history.

"I am not a baseball player, I am European,'' said Ivanisevic, whose 129-mph serve helped him advance with a 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (7-4), 6-3 victory.

Agassi is neither a baseball player nor European, but he seems to be getting more comfortable on the grass at the All England Club. He had some shaky moments in his opening-round match against Chesnokov, which was interrupted by the elements Tuesday and began yesterday with Agassi double-faulting to fall behind 2-3 in the second set.

Agassi, who had lost both the second set and his temper after winning the first, came back to break Chesnokov to go up 6-5 and then closed out the set. But he dropped the first two games of the fourth set -- blowing a 30-0 lead in the second game -- before putting Chesnokov away.

"A lot of people say, I like to struggle and get through, and others say, I like to win easy and build myself up,'' said Agassi, who likely will appeal the fine that is expected to be handed down today by Grand Slam supervisor Ken Farrar. "I'd like to feel I'd like to get through. If it's easy, there's a lot to say that can help you confidence-wise.''

Among the men yesterday, Agassi wasn't the only seed to struggle. Defending champion and No. 3 seed Michael Stich of Germany double faulted at love-40 to lose his first set to Amos Mansdorf of Israel, but rallied behind his own 130-mph serve for a 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4, 6-4 victory.

Former U.S. Open champion Pete Sampras, the No. 5 seed, went to tiebreakers his first three sets against Australian Todd Woodbridge -- winning the first two and losing the third -- before securing a 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (7-9), 6-4 victory to advance into the third round here for the first time. Two-time champ Stefan Edberg also had a pair of tiebreakers in a 7-6 (7-3), 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) win over Gary Muller of South Africa. Ivan Lendl dropped a set along the way in a 7-5, 7-6 (8-6), 1-6, 7-5 win over Arne Thoms of Germany.

Now that he is seeded 10th and treated as just another player in the draw, things have quieted for Lendl at Wimbledon. Nobody is asking why he hasn't won here, or if he ever will.

Agassi is getting plenty of questions, and it's getting tough for the man who has everything but a major title. Of all the things he was asked about yesterday -- from his long hair to the screaming fans to why he didn't have more color in his mostly white attire -- perhaps the silliest was this: "Have you brought an iron with you this year?''

"An iron?'' said Agassi, rolling his eyes. "Next question.''

Tennis questions, anyone?
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #148

ACES GIVE IVANISEVIC WINNING HAND
Philadelphia Daily News
Thursday, June 25, 1992
Bill Conlin

Who says there is nothing new under the sun at this tradition-steeped lawn party?

It was the second set of a second-round match between lefthanders Goran Ivanisevic and Mark Woodforde yesterday and the Croatian was tearing through the Australian like a chili pepper through a bleeding ulcer.

After Ivanisevic's 15th ace, Woodforde set up to receive serve holding the head of the racket. Ivanisevic did the same, fired a mock bullet and missed the ball. "I never played baseball," he shrugged as the Centre Court mob laughed.

Next, Woodforde switched the racket to his right hand. Not to be outclowned, Ivanisevic switched hands, served righthanded and got the first ball in. The longest point ever played at Wimbledon by lefthanders playing righthanded ended on the fourth hit when Woodforde netted a forehand.

"I just couldn't return his serve, so I had to try something," Woodforde said after Ivanisevic passed through to the third round with a 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3 victory.

Ivanisevic finished with 34 aces, impressive but well short of the Wimbledon record of 42, set in 1976 by Britain's John Feaver in a loss to Aussie legend John Newcombe.

"Newc kept turning around to the press box and asking, 'How many is that?' " recalled NBC tennis guru Bud Collins.

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWDS

London Daily Mail columnist Ian Woolridge and Melbourne Herald-Sun colleague Bruce Wilson were barred from the British Press Room Tuesday because both men write their dispatches on old-fashioned typewriters. It seems that the clackety-clack of metal keys on rubber rollers was too much for the Knights of the Computer Keyboard. Loud typing has joined smoking as forbidden activity.

Undaunted, Woolridge and Wilson set up a table in Car Park 6, ordered a bottle of champagne and clattered merrily into the humid Borough of Merton twilight. "Thus these words come to you from Car Park Six, across the road from Wimbledon, where exhaust fumes are the very breath of freedom," Wooldridge wrote on his battered Olivetti. "My cohort there yesterday was Bruce Wilson . . . whose considerable experience of war-reporting - Vietnam, Cambodia, Nicaragua and the Iraq conflict, to name but a few - inspired him to say yesterday: 'It's not so much the noise of typewriters that puts me off as the moaning of the wounded.' "

HONNNNNN-WHEEEEEEEE!

Your faithful correspondent was among thousands who called a special number yesterday and joined the Great London Sun Tennis Gruntathon. Callers were invited to surpass the 96.23 decibel reading the tabloid says Monica Seles registered on Court 1 Monday. First prize: a new tennis racket and 10 balls . . . The feisty tab outdid itself with a color front page of beleaguered Princess Di, bending verrrrrrry low to accept a bouquet from a tyke at a tribute to the late Sammy Davis Jr. The headline said, "All Di's Front." Not all, but most. The cutline began "BRA-VO!"

TODAY'S RESULTS

A couple of women's seeds moved into the third round. Zina Garrison, seeded 13th, defeated fellow American Linda Harvey-Wild 6-2, 6-4 and 16th seed Judith Wiesner was a 6-0, 6-1 winner over Kataryna Nowak.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #149

Concessions take a bite
USA TODAY
Thursday, June 25, 1992
Compiled by Doug Smith and Richard Finn

You won't go hungry at Wimbledon, but you might go broke.

According to a Town & Country catering official, 35 food, ice cream and bar stands are scattered around the grounds offering something for everybody's palate and pocketbook.

The Wingfield Restaurant features three-course lunches for $45. Of course, there is afternoon tea for $11.

The price-conscious muncher can choose from popcorn ($3.20), a slice of pizza ($3.50) or cold sandwich ($3.10).

Wimbledon's traditional strawberries and cream goes for $3.20. A plate of fish and chips can be found for $5.60.

A pork and beef sausage hot dog costs $4.10. Ice cream cones are $3 and cookies $1.40.

Refreshments start with a cup of soda or half pint of lager for $1.40 and go up to a bottle of Moet champagne for $66.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #150

British media continue to dissect Seles
USA TODAY
Thursday, June 25, 1992
Richard Finn

Monica Seles continued to be the butt of the London tabloid rumor mill Wednesday, with British reporters shifting their attack to the fashion and eating tastes of the world's No. 1 women's player. To wit:

Question: Did you see a story in the papers this morning about you being apparently banned from wearing figure-hugging outfits?

Answer: When you come here, there is always some new revelations that haven't been revealed before, but I guess these are new. But I don't read the newspapers.

Q: They have banned you from wearing outfits because they are too tight?

A: These are people who are coming out who have nothing to do all day, coming out with headlines so you can sell papers. (I) laugh at these stories.

Q: Are you addicted to butter?

A: No.

Q: They have told you not to wear figure-hugging outfits because your bottom's too big?

A: I don't know. I don't think anybody knows. You would have to vote on it to decide. I don't think it's anybody's business what do I think.

Q: How about butter?

A: You always try to pick on something. If I say I like Madonna, you will automatically say I idolize Madonna. There is a big difference between idolizing somebody and liking somebody. If I say I like butter, I idolize butter, I can't live without it. I think you go a little bit too far, you know, with a few things.