Mary Pierce: Tennis' Biggest Underachiever?? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #16
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mary Pierce: Tennis' Biggest Underachiever??

Far too inconsistent. I think two Slams were a pretty good measure of her career.
Advertisement

Old Nov 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #17
tommyk75

tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future

Jj74 said it best, IMO. Champions have to know how to win even on an off day, and Mary didn't really have the ability to dig deep against players she couldn't blow away. She was still a special player, of course, and yes, Mary at her best hit with more power than anybody else in her generation, and I'm including both Steffi and Monica in that statement (Not saying she was a better player than them, of course, but peak-wise, I'd take her over either of them).
tommyk75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #18
country flag n1_and_uh_noone

n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercarlos View Post
past the Qf round just 6 freaking times out of 52 times
Well, that just means that PEAK Pierce would have won 52*2 (remember, she would embarrass peak Federer ) = 104 Slams. But as we know, peak Pierce was not daily Pierce. Hence just a 2-Slam winner.
n1_and_uh_noone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #19
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see her not loving the sport since she attends so many tennis events to this day!

Anyway, just because you think a player should have won more doesn't make them an underachiever. She had a good career, albeit hampered by many of the things that hamper other players: injuries, family, shifting desires, etc.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #20
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj74 View Post
People seem to not understand that a peak player is not the real player. Mary was able to play at an incredibly high level from time to time, but she wasn't able to sustain that level for long.
Serena, Graf, Navratilova or Evert are on everyone's list as the best (in different order) because they were able to sustain a high level tennis for a long time, and even more, they were able to win big tournaments even without being at her top level or in their best form.

1994 is a good example why Pierce not achieve more. She was in top form, she destroy all her rivals, including Steffi Graf in semis, but she wasn't able to be that good in the final. Arantxa simply doesn't let her play the way she wanted, she had to hit one more ball in every game, and finally she started to make more errors. Her finals against Henin and Clijsters are good examples of that too.
In a good day Mary could defeat everyone, but when she wasn't in a good day, the number of players who were able to defeat her were really high.
And mentally she was very far from the ones that dominated the 90's
WELL PUT.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #21
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis's biggest underachiever is a player neither you or I ever heard of. She had the talent to be a world number 1 but she didn't put in the work when she was young, fell out of shape, lost interest, perhaps didn't have the money to back her up and support her and didn't get the coaching and sponsorship she needed and so she quit the game as a junior, and now none of us have ever heard of her. Sad, but almost certainly true.
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #22
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

biggest underachievers - Tracy Austin, Monica Seles
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #23
country flag fluffyelloballz
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold

2 majors, 4 runner-up trophies, 2 time finalist at YEC, world number 3, $9.7 million in prize money....
Pretty serious achievements there.
Did she underachieve? She could have won another major or two yes but she lost those finals to Sanchez, Henin, Hingis and Clisters, all of whom won more majors than she did and all of whom had the consistency to become number one.
Consistency is what Pierce lacked and why she did not win more.
I think she achieved what she was due, if that makes any sense.
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #24
country flag VultureHater

VultureHater is just really nice VultureHater is just really nice VultureHater is just really nice VultureHater is just really nice VultureHater is just really nice VultureHater is just really nice VultureHater is just really nice VultureHater is just really nice VultureHater is just really nice VultureHater is just really nice VultureHater is just really nice

Pierce the Canadian the French decided to class as their own just so they could say they had a slam winner. She overachieved tbh.
VultureHater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #25
country flag moonballnurse

moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice

Wozniacki is a bigger underachiever because she would have a slam if she pushed a little harder.
moonballnurse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #26
country flag Adi1987

Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future

Mary Pierce was the Hana Mandlikova of Big Babe Tennis.

Sublime when playing at her best , but even if one thing went off, the whole performance suffered.
Adi1987 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 05:21 AM   #27
country flag OsloErik

OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute

If you think of the evolution of Big Babe Tennis as baseliners with...

power off one side -> power off both sides -> power off both sides w/ a big serve

Pierce was the first player to really put all three together. Did it inconsistently, but she was the first top player who had power off both wings and a big serve.

The next step was adding good footspeed to all three components, and that's where the Williams sisters came in.
OsloErik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #28
country flag sebbe

sebbe has a brilliant future sebbe has a brilliant future sebbe has a brilliant future sebbe has a brilliant future sebbe has a brilliant future sebbe has a brilliant future sebbe has a brilliant future sebbe has a brilliant future sebbe has a brilliant future sebbe has a brilliant future sebbe has a brilliant future

Mary would have done much better if her mental part was better - the inconsistency was the result of the mental part which made her so tight on important points. Just looking at her game, she should have had more success in my oppinion. Her strokes were pretty much perfectly performed, and she was moving pretty good when she was in shape. She was in 41 finals during her long bumpy career but she only managed to win 18 of them so I believe that she is an underachiver.
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #29
country flag SV_Fan

SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future

So it seems everyone is split between over and under achiever.

Is there a reason for the inconsistency.
SV_Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote