Strengths and weaknesses of Top 10 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 13th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #16
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strengths and Weaknesses of Top 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Cherry. View Post
Sharapova

Weakness: Often bends over for her superiors in finals.
Strength: Often bends over for her superiors in finals.
You love Maria fans, don't you?
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 13th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #17
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sharapova

The Dawntreader is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #18
country flag Mary Cherry.

Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
You love Maria fans, don't you?
With every fibre of my being.
Mary Cherry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #19
country flag DevilishAttitude

DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Sharapova the toughest mentally?!
I know this is not something many will agree with, but I do believe Maria is the best mentally. She wins SO many matches, against the best and lesser players, by simply keeping calm and believing in herself. She takes it one point at a time, which means she doesn't allow bad feeling or nerves to take over for a whole set of points. Her opponents will generally always falter mentally before she does, as they don't have her mental stamina or fortitude.

Sure, her record against Azarenka and Serena has been poor this year, but I feel it's more down to them being bad match-ups for her rather than any mental fraility. The only match where she slightly lost it mentally was at the end of the US SF, but apart from that, she's lost to them due to their ability at exploiting her weaknesses better than anyone else, not due to lack of belief or mental issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
OP and Griffin both made great lists, I'd like to add few things.

1. I don't think that Serena lets opponents get inside her head, my impression is that sometimes some bad misses get inside her head (rather than opponents) which was mostly visible in the first part of the season when she simply couldn't win ugly.

2. I don't think that Sharapova is the strongest mentally, Vika and Serena are stronger mentally.

3. Errani's return and mental fortitude are seriously underrated. I'd like to add it to list of her strengths.

4. Azarenka has a great touch, good volleys and drop shots.
I somewhat agree with number 1, although I do believe opponents can get inside her head. Razzano was a prime example. She kept the pressure up against Serena the entire match, and didn't falter. When Serena made that fatal decision to stop the point when she was winning the tiebreak, she completely crumpled and Razzano took full advantage. People forget how badly Serena imploded in that match due to the final game.

It's a combination of putting too much pressure on herself and opponents getting inside her head in the end. Zheng did a fantastic job of that at Wimbledon, she won a huge majority of the rallies cos Serena's ground-game was so off she couldn't handle Zheng's early flat hitting and led to her freezing whenever she had any opportunity. Only her serve saved her that day. The US final also showed how when it's not going well for Serena that she spends so much time having to keep calm that it can have a real negative impact on her play, cos she loses focus and rhythm.

It's making her feel uncomfortable though that is the hard bit, that's why it's so shocking when Serena does fray, cos most of the time she's so in control of her matches there is nothing for her to get stressed about.

BTW, I agree with your point about Azarenka, she does have great touch, I think she should move forward more, she's more than capable. She has excellent court-sense as well, and it's an area of her game that she doesn't get enough praise about.
DevilishAttitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #20
country flag BuTtErFrEnA
Rena's Army

BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute

martha being the toughest mentally stopped reading after that

I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #21
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAttitude View Post
I know this is not something many will agree with, but I do believe Maria is the best mentally. She wins SO many matches, against the best and lesser players, by simply keeping calm and believing in herself. She takes it one point at a time, which means she doesn't allow bad feeling or nerves to take over for a whole set of points. Her opponents will generally always falter mentally before she does, as they don't have her mental stamina or fortitude.

Sure, her record against Azarenka and Serena has been poor this year, but I feel it's more down to them being bad match-ups for her rather than any mental fraility. The only match where she slightly lost it mentally was at the end of the US SF, but apart from that, she's lost to them due to their ability at exploiting her weaknesses better than anyone else, not due to lack of belief or mental issues.
It's exactly because she CAN'T bring it against the TOP TOP players, that's why I can't take of her mentally tough. She's fighting spirit, intensity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAttitude View Post
I somewhat agree with number 1, although I do believe opponents can get inside her head. Razzano was a prime example. She kept the pressure up against Serena the entire match, and didn't falter. When Serena made that fatal decision to stop the point when she was winning the tiebreak, she completely crumpled and Razzano took full advantage. People forget how badly Serena imploded in that match due to the final game.

It's a combination of putting too much pressure on herself and opponents getting inside her head in the end. Zheng did a fantastic job of that at Wimbledon, she won a huge majority of the rallies cos Serena's ground-game was so off she couldn't handle Zheng's early flat hitting and led to her freezing whenever she had any opportunity. Only her serve saved her that day. The US final also showed how when it's not going well for Serena that she spends so much time having to keep calm that it can have a real negative impact on her play, cos she loses focus and rhythm.

It's making her feel uncomfortable though that is the hard bit, that's why it's so shocking when Serena does fray, cos most of the time she's so in control of her matches there is nothing for her to get stressed about.

BTW, I agree with your point about Azarenka, she does have great touch, I think she should move forward more, she's more than capable. She has excellent court-sense as well, and it's an area of her game that she doesn't get enough praise about.
Serena can come and go..but most of the time: when it's crunch time...she's money.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #22
SerenaSlam

SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future

- Can be very up and down mentally. If things aren't going her way then she can go into complete meltdown. Opponents can get inside her head and cause her to doubt her ability.

Is this ^^^^ the joke of the day? Since when does Serena got get to Serena and players get in her head? Lmmfao ROTMFF

Let The Word....Do the Work...

Speak over YOURSELF...

Follow Me! @CedricEarl
SerenaSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #23
country flag NashaP

NashaP is a splendid one to behold NashaP is a splendid one to behold NashaP is a splendid one to behold NashaP is a splendid one to behold NashaP is a splendid one to behold NashaP is a splendid one to behold NashaP is a splendid one to behold NashaP is a splendid one to behold NashaP is a splendid one to behold NashaP is a splendid one to behold NashaP is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Sharapova

cute

Too bad Vika doesnt bend over as well, she just fake injuries
NashaP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #24
country flag Aryman3

Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future

Mostly agree
but
-Sharapova is generally overestimated
-no one takes into account great net play of Radwanska. Her anticipation is not as great as you present it. It's rather variety of her shots and intelligent tactics
that give her advantage even over Top 10 players
Aryman3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #25
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
It's exactly because she CAN'T bring it against the TOP TOP players, that's why I can't take of her mentally tough. She's fighting spirit, intensity...
bring what? You are describing like its just mental and she is never beaten in the actual game. I guess Lord is just incredible lucky scoring 9 wins in row against a choker!
C. Drone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #26
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaP View Post
Too bad Vika doesnt bend over as well, she just fake injuries
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #27
country flag Mary Cherry.

Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaP View Post
cute

Too bad Vika doesnt bend over as well then Maria wouldn't have been bageled in the AO final and maybe saved a bit of dignity
Mary Cherry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #28
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post
Mine:

Victoria Azarenka
Strengths:
-The exceptional depth on her groundstrokes and her ability to create angles allows her to neutralize her opponents’ power until she can get a short ball to pounce on.
-Anticipates extremely well
-Terrific and consistent returner of serve
Weaknesses:
-Weak serve
-She doesn’t have the weaponry of some of her contemporaries, and she can be hit off the court by a power player on their game
-Forehand can break down

Maria Sharapova
Strengths:
-Hits the ball huge and with relentless precision
-When she connects on her returns, look out
-Fights like hell to the very last point
Weaknesses:
-Serena Williams
-Can be a bit predictable off the serve
-Can’t volley to save her life

Serena Williams
Strengths:
-Greatest serve in women’s tennis history
-Hits huge off the ground, moves extremely well, terrific volleyer, can play defense, great returner of serve
-When she’s on, she’s essentially unplayable
Weaknesses:
-Can put too much pressure on herself
-Can be a bit of a slow starter
-Her footwork can go off at times

Aggie Radwanska
Strengths:
-The rare WTA player that possesses some variety
-She’s a terrific defensive player
-Can go games without missing
Weaknesses:
-Poor second serve
-She struggles when she has to generate her own pace
-Her groundstrokes sit up on slower courts, giving her opponents time to tee off

Angelique Kerber
Strengths:
-Extremely fit and a terrific mover
-Can produce some incredible shots on the run
-Terrific competitor
Weaknesses:
-Also struggles to create her own pace
-Her serve could use some work
-Despite her competitive strengths she has gone away in some big matches

Sara Errani
Strengths:
-Like Kerber, she’s extremely fit and has clearly put in the hard yards off the court
-Competes so well
-She’s extremely consistent off the ground and has great depth
Weaknesses:
-Lacks power
-Faster courts dull her heavy topspin
-Serve is crap

Li Na
Strengths:
-When she’s on her game she has every shot in the book
-Has a lot of width on her groundstrokes
-Moves extremely well
Weaknesses:
-Maddeningly inconsistent, both mentally and in her tennis
-Seems to get too satisfied by a good run
-No plan B

Petra Kvitova
Strengths:
-On her day she can hit literally anyone off the court (save Serena)
-Has a great deal of variety
-She is a very naturally gifted ball-striker and hits the ball great on the run
Weaknesses:
-Fitness
-Streaky in basically every department of her game
-Very uneven mentally

Samantha Stosur
Strengths:
-The serve and forehand combo can be menacing
-She’s not the great volleyer the media makes her out to be but she’s still pretty good in that department
-Extremely fit
Weaknesses:
-Doesn’t have that explosive first step
-Falters in pressure situations
-Backhand can be a mess

Caroline Wozniacki
Strengths:
-Extremely consistent off the ground, can basically rally players to death
-Excellent backhand
-Mental stamina
Weaknesses:
-Her father
-Her forehand
-Her serve has deteriorated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
OP and Griffin both made great lists, I'd like to add few things.

1. I don't think that Serena lets opponents get inside her head, my impression is that sometimes some bad misses get inside her head (rather than opponents) which was mostly visible in the first part of the season when she simply couldn't win ugly.

2. I don't think that Sharapova is the strongest mentally, Vika and Serena are stronger mentally.

3. Errani's return and mental fortitude are seriously underrated. I'd like to add it to list of her strengths.

4. Azarenka has a great touch, good volleys and drop shots.
I find these a great deal more accurate.
Especially Serena's critiques.

I would also add that Serena is more of a 'complete' player/athlete/strategist out on the court than most other WTA players, presently. And that she doesn't get enough credit for her on-court adaptability.
When others are receiving coaching from the stands, Serena is devising her next plan of attack.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #29
country flag moonballnurse

moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice moonballnurse is just really nice

Wozniacki's weakness is her fivehead.
moonballnurse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #30
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonballnurse View Post
Wozniacki's weakness is her fivehead.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote