Which would you rather have? Career Slam or 5 titles of the same slam? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which would you rather have?

Career Slam 77 59.23%
5 titles of the same slam 53 40.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #16
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which would you rather have? Career Slam or 5 titles of the same slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matías. View Post
It would be cool to win 5 Wimbledon or French Open because it would mean you're the best, at least on that surface.
The best the very best should be able to win on EVERY surface in my book.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #17
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaP View Post
I'm not referring to ANY players. It is a HYPOTHETICAL situation LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Oh, my bad. You never said that in the OP so I thought you were trying to be shady by referring to an actual player.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #18
country flag i.will2

i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice i.will2 is just really nice
Either way you're a Hall of Famer but I think I would rather have the career slam...if I couldn't win 5 Wimbledon titles. Having the career would put me in rare company but having 5 would show consistency or dominance on a surface.
i.will2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #19
country flag joeh37

joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of

Difficult decision.
5 slams at the same venue will mean you have probably been a top player for a longer period of time.
A career slam could take place over 2 years and then you disappear.
I think it would come down to other things. If the career slam is over two seasons or so, chances are you will be number one. Whereas 5 identical slams, there is a chance you will never make number one.

I think I would stiill back up the idea that 5slams>4slams so ceteris paribus I would take 5 slams.

Thankyou for years of service to British tennis

@Joeh_37
joeh37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #20
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
The best the very best should be able to win on EVERY surface in my book.
Lol I said the best on that surface, grass for winning Wimbledon and clay for winning Roland Garros.

And your point is weak because Sharapova won on every surface and she is not the best in nobody elses book but yours.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #21
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute

So "Who do you like more: Sharapova or Venus?"

I say Sharapova career slam.
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #22
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

There's a term in the USA. 'inside baseball'.

It means stuff that only means anything to fanatical purists of the sport. The career slam is that kind of stat. Agassi has the career slam. Sampras doesn't. Does it mean anything as a comparison?

I would rather have Justine Henin's career than Maria Sharapova's (to date).
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #23
country flag legalise#
17 and counting!

legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future legalise# has a brilliant future

5 of the same.
legalise# is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #24
country flag L'Enfant Sauvage

L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on a couple of things... 5 of which slam? PERSONALLY I would take Calendar Grand Slam >>>>> 5 Wimbledons > Non calendar Career Slam > 5 of any other slam. I mean winning FIVE fucking titles on a surface, even RG with our awful clay era is pretty badass. That's like, total domination(which I've always valued over versatility, within reason that is.) But with equal career accomplishments as far as titles won, YEC/OG/T1s, weeks at #1 etc, the career slam player would be statistically GREATER. I'll still take 5 Wimbledons though

(Anyone playing Sharapova)
L'Enfant Sauvage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #25
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling this thread will derail to yet another Sharapova vs everybody else discussion.

I think it depends a bit on which time we're talking about. Back in the days when the surfaces weren't as homogenized I think I would have preferred a career slam. Nowadays I guess I'd rather have 5 slams than 4 because it's "easier" to be successful on all surfaces with the same style of play.

Last edited by Natural Joe : Nov 11th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Natural Joe is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #26
country flag Mary Cherry.

Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute

5 of the same so I could be really obnoxious and yell "THIS IS MY HOME LOLOL" every time I win.
Mary Cherry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #27
country flag acetoace

acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it that most idiotic threads on TF are created by desperate pova fan base? I mean why? Always something from them trying to make pova look better than she earned on the courts. Great players are respected not just for winning the big ones, but also for having the ability to defend slams. Pova has never, I mean NEVER defended any slam in almost 10yrs and they think she deserves the same respect accorded to great players like Henin, Kim and Venus?

Fluke Career Slam spanning almost a decade to accomplish & made possible by cupcake draws don't equate winning multiple slams in a season and defending same. Henin was off 2yrs from the tour and still came back to woop this phony player to shreds on clay. Of course, pova defeated SARA ERRANI to win FO

Not long ago, pova was labelled "Qeen of Grass" just b/cos she won Wimby 04 and couple of next to nothing MM grass titles in 05 just to front. Um.....FF to 2012, any reason why we no longer hear them call her "Queen of Grass" anymore? I think we all know the answer to that. Now, according to her hallucinating fans, the "fraud in pova" is now "Queen of Clay" just b/cos....... . 2013 will be here soon and we would see how their fraudulent claim holds up. As history thaught us in the past, the "Queen of Australia" joke turned out to be an epic fail as was the "Queen of USO & Hardcourt" nonsense they peddled on TF for years.
acetoace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #28
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

i would take 5 slams if all of them were either french or wimbledon......if not, career slam......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #29
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

What's with these Mashatards, these day?! Career-slam this and that?! Maria has 4 majors TOTAL..it's great that she managed to win all 4 once...but let's stop the delusion that it somehow means that she is in ANY conversation about greatness.

Her position is along with Kim Clijsters/ Martina Hingis..so stop with the hyping like Maria's somehow in the Juju/Vee group.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #30
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute

career slam
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote