Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012? - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

2002 106 83.46%
2012 21 16.54%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #121
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
at people again trotting out the "ZOMG the competition was so much better in 2002!!!11!!". Whoever said people were wrongly conflating 2002 with 1999-2001 was spot-on - 99-01 was truly the WTA's golden age, but in '02, Hingis dropped out, Davenport missed almost the entire season with injury, Henin and Clijsters had a strangely poor year (esp in the Slams) despite their breakthrough seasons in '01. Serena's only significant rivals that year were Venus and Capriati. The strength at the top of the game was certainly on a par with 2002.

With that said, Serena's 2002 is obviously still much better than 2012, because of the fact she dominated on all surfaces. 2 of her big wins in 2012 came on grass, and she was hardly convincing at the US Open. Even though the Willytards don't like to hear it, it's still pretty obvious that Serena's best tournament of 2012 level of play-wise was the YEC (the Li match aside) when you take into account that it was a slow surface that didn't give her much serve much bang for its buck and actually forced her to play better off the ground than she did on grass.
1997 - 2001 was actually very weak......steffi, arantxa, seles were done and dusted mentally and physically......there were talks of steffi's retirement as early as 1995 but she somehow continued on......

hingis took over the weak era (1997 - 2001) and won all the slams she could before venus and serena peaked too early for her(hingis) unfortunately and took over completely......very much reminiscent of federer's domination before nadal and djokovic peaked(2003 - 2006)......

2001 saw the revival of capriati(a player who i dislike for some reason) and those belgian slam fights(clijsters-henin) started in the same year as well......venus and serena entered their peaks and started smashing everyone else into oblivion......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #122
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Yeah but the the competition was way too weak overall though. She played great for sure but she wasn't even challenged and couldn't be against those mugs except Stosur.
Well i'm talking about her game coming together perfectly, not really competition-wise. At the YEC her level was overall "meh" but she did play great in the final.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #123
country flag Steven.

Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute

nobody gives a shit about nadal
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #124
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No it's not that bad when we know that she won Wimbledon, OG, USO and YEC.
But maybe you were expecting her to win every single title well that's not gonna happen.
Right, right...so why you guys so sad about the 3-6 record in finals this year, then?!
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #125

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven. View Post
nobody gives a shit about nadal
of course you do, that's why you bothered to post about him.....

enlighten yourself...
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #126
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Right, right...so why you guys so sad about the 3-6 record in finals this year, then?!
3-6 is quite bad but only Miami really bothers me though, the others she had zero chance with the way she was playing and of course because of the opponent as well.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #127
country flag forehand27

forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
1997 - 2001 was actually very weak......steffi, arantxa, seles were done and dusted mentally and physically......there were talks of steffi's retirement as early as 1995 but she somehow continued on......

hingis took over the weak era (1997 - 2001) and won all the slams she could before venus and serena peaked too early for her(hingis) unfortunately and took over completely......very much reminiscent of federer's domination before nadal and djokovic peaked(2003 - 2006)......

2001 saw the revival of capriati(a player who i dislike for some reason) and those belgian slam fights(clijsters-henin) started in the same year as well......venus and serena entered their peaks and started smashing everyone else into oblivion......
Hingis wasnt running anything after 1997. 1998 and 1999 Davenport was the true number 1 both years (even if on the computer only in 1998). 2000 and 2001 Hingis was nowhere near best player.
forehand27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by forehand27 View Post
Hingis wasnt running anything after 1997. 1998 and 1999 Davenport was the true number 1 both years (even if on the computer only in 1998). 2000 and 2001 Hingis was nowhere near best player.
she just got shown her way out gradually by better players......davenport too benefited a little from the weak field but at least she scored some quality victories......

enlighten yourself...
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #129
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
LOL...Davenport was injured in 2002 and only played a few tournaments.
Henin and Clijsters in 2002 were nowhere near the level Azarenka or Pova are in 2012 and Venus was always Serena's underling in Slam finals. In fact, one could argue that the competition in 2012 was stronger than it was in 2002 which is also why Serena didn't even get close to the #1 ranking in 2012 (unlike 2002).

Of course achievement-wise (unlike what RVD claims ), 2002 was a much better year for Serena since she won more Slams, was more dominant overall and was #1 for the most part of the year.
Just your opinion alone doesn't make the argument convincing Matt. In fact, you've added nothing to the debate at all here. So why bring up my name as if you've stumbled upon some astounding revelation?
Just for once while discussing Serena...why not check your personal hatred at the door?
SERENA: "I hate losing more than I love winning" | RVD: Knowledge(able)…?- In issues researched that interests me and affect my life directly. | Understand(ing)…?- Many subjects & topics in general; with an unquenchable thirst and open mind to learn more. | Experienced…?- In courses of study, and adversities faced. | Racism…?- Living it everyday; experiencing it’s pain in every way; knowing it’ll never go away; and fully understand the futility of arguing it’s ‘evils’ with 'the ignorant' more than I could possibly say.

Last edited by RVD : Nov 15th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #130
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
3-6 is quite bad but only Miami really bothers me though, the others she had zero chance with the way she was playing and of course because of the opponent as well.
I see..okay, still feel that if Serena had done a better job at the Oz and Miami and RG specially, she'd be no.1
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #131
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Just your opinion alone doesn't make the argument convincing Matt. In fact, you've added nothing to the debate at all here. So why bring up my name as if you've stumbled upon some astounding revelation?
Just for once while discussing Serena...why not check your personal hatred at the door?

Why do YOU not check your personal delusional fandom first?
Even your fellow Serena fans disagree with you about 2012 being a better season for Serena, and the arguments I provided for my opinion you probably didn't even read. So instead of singing your old song about my "hatred" for Serena, why not use your brain for once and come up with some reasonable arguments for a change?
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #132
country flag forehand27

forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold

In no sense was Serena's 2012 better than 2002 except for the fact 2012 it was probably the best season ever by a 30 year old women, and the best season ever by a women who hadnt been able to play a relatively full season in 3 years, while 2002 it wasnt the best season ever in any sense except arguably sheer level of play or most dominance vs an actual real field (vs what Navratilova and Graf faced in their most dominant years which was crap on a bun).
forehand27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #133
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Why do YOU not check your personal delusional fandom first?
Even your fellow Serena fans disagree with you about 2012 being a better season for Serena, and the arguments I provided for my opinion you probably didn't even read. So instead of singing your old song about my "hatred" for Serena, why not use your brain for once and come up with some reasonable arguments for a change?
Simply because my arguments aren't delusions Matt.
With you it's always the same perfectionist requirements when you discuss Serena. Why is that?

Yes, some of my fellow Serena fans have in fact disagreed with me in this thread, and some have agreed with me as well. I read your posts. What's your point?
There is still no revelation expressed here from you Matt. You parrotted what posters have already said.
And you didn't answer the question as to why you brought ONLY my name up when a few other posters shared in my argument.
So again, what point were you trying to make in bringing up my name Matt?
SERENA: "I hate losing more than I love winning" | RVD: Knowledge(able)…?- In issues researched that interests me and affect my life directly. | Understand(ing)…?- Many subjects & topics in general; with an unquenchable thirst and open mind to learn more. | Experienced…?- In courses of study, and adversities faced. | Racism…?- Living it everyday; experiencing it’s pain in every way; knowing it’ll never go away; and fully understand the futility of arguing it’s ‘evils’ with 'the ignorant' more than I could possibly say.

Last edited by RVD : Nov 15th, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #134
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
she just got shown her way out gradually by better players......davenport too benefited a little from the weak field but at least she scored some quality victories......
Well, according to TF logic every past great benefited from a weak field. But the era of our fave is always much tougher than the previous or later one(s) so that it makes our fave look even better.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #135
country flag BuTtErFrEnA
Rena's Army

BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, according to TF logic every past great benefited from a weak field. But the era of our fave is always much tougher than the previous or later one(s) so that it makes our fave look even better.
exactly

I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote