Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012? - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

2002 106 83.46%
2012 21 16.54%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #106
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
LOL...Davenport was injured in 2002 and only played a few tournaments.
Henin and Clijsters in 2002 were nowhere near the level Azarenka or Pova are in 2012 and Venus was always Serena's underling in Slam finals. In fact, one could argue that the competition in 2012 was stronger than it was in 2002 which is also why Serena didn't even get close to the #1 ranking in 2012 (unlike 2002).

Of course achievement-wise (unlike what RVD claims ), 2002 was a much better year for Serena since she won more Slams, was more dominant overall and was #1 for the most part of the year.
What's with your: "Serena didn't even get close to the #1 ranking"-shade all the time?!
Serena's first half of the year is the only reason she didn't get to the no.1 rank..you can't bomb early at Oz open, Miami and RG..and expect to be no.1. THAT's the ONLY reason she didn't get to no.1.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #107
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
What's with your: "Serena didn't even get close to the #1 ranking"-shade all the time?!
Serena's first half of the year is the only reason she didn't get to the no.1 rank..you can't bomb early at Oz open, Miami and RG..and expect to be no.1. THAT's the ONLY reason she didn't get to no.1.

Yeah, and those results have to be included if we want to talk about 2012. In 2002 she didn't bomb out so often early at big tournaments. What I'm saying is only logical but some people can't even grasp that.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #108
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute

Technically 2002 is her best season namely due to the achievements. You cannot negate the fact that in 2002 Serena dominated all her main rivals, won three straight slams, completed the Serena Slam in 2003, remained #1 for a extended period, and established herself as a formidable champion worthy of respect. This was a 21 year old Serena in her prime with fresh legs, no knee surgery, and at full confidence.

Fast forward to 2012 and Serena is 31 and considered an aging veteran. She missed a year off the tour due to a freak injury which later developed into pulmonary embolism loosing a piece of her lung but still working furiously to get back to the top of the sport. Then came the final loss at the US Open 2011, next she bombed out at the AO in the fourth round, but nothing prepared her for arguably one of the worst loses of her career(losing first round at the French). With Serena's record of never losing a first round slam match that could have easily been a game changer.

We've seen champions lose these type of matches and never quite recover. At that point, everyone assumed Serena couldn't come through at the slams anymore and while Serena struggled through some of her matches at Wimbledon she still fought tooth and nail to stay the course and eventually won the tournament ending her losing streak.
Then came the Olympics singles where she dominated her competitors in devastating fashion plus she even won the doubles with her sister. The US Open and YEC wins were just proof that Serena had somehow found her old form and even in old age she was just as much a champion as she was in 2002.

Yep, maybe she's a step slower than 2002, isn't as explosive and her mental focus sometimes comes and goes but 2012 Serena is a smarter player in the sense that she understands her fundamentals and uses them to the best of her ability. She's confident that her skill set is enough to defeat the competition and has improved her shot selection, forehand, and serve.

So for me, while I respect Serena's 2002 season I much prefer her 2012 season as a fan. In my opinion, the true measure of a champion isn't determined during peak years but how that champion responds to opposition when the best years are behind them. I can truly say that Serena's will and determination in 2012 is impressive when you consider all the circumstances surrounding her year.

harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #109
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
The quality of thne competition in 2012 doesn't come close to 2002.
  1. 02 Serena Williams, 12 Victoria Azarenka
  2. 02 Venus Williams, 12 Maria Sharapova
  3. 02 Jennifer Capriati, 12 Serena Williams
  4. 02 Kim Clijsters, 12 Agnieszka Radwanska
  5. 02 Justine Henin, 12 Angelique Kerber
  6. 02 Amelie Mauresmo, 12 Sara Errani
  7. 02 Monica Seles, 12 Li Na
  8. 02 Daniela Hantuchova, 12 Petra Kvitova
  9. 02 Jelena Dokic, 12 Samantha Stosur
  10. 02 Martina Hingis, 12 Caroline Wozniacki
  11. 02 Anastasia Myskina, 12 Marion Bartoli
  12. 02 Lindsay Davenport, 12 Nadia Petrova
  13. 02 Chanda Rubin, 12 Ana Ivanovic
  14. 02 Magdalena Maleeva, 12 Maria Kirilenko
  15. 02 Patty Schnyder, 12 Dominika Cibulkova
Agreed. I marked red the player I consider to be a stronger threat and 2002 wins almost anywhere (notable exceptions are Kvitova and Stosur). Not sure about #13 and obviously Azarenka and Sharapova and/or Capriati are no slouches either.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #110
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No it's not the only reason. You can still give 1000 points to Serena that she'd still be behind Vika.
Maria and Vika are obviously part of this too they've both reached 9 finals and have been more consistent than Serena overall.
4th round at OZ ain't that bad and QF at Miami either btw. It's just that two players have been way more consistent.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #111
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's not the ONLY reason. If she hadn't skipped Indian Wells (I know, a big no-no for her) and Beijing she could have gotten there. But it's obviously not a top priority for her and she's likely to get there early next year anyway.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #112
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
No it's not the only reason. You can still give 1000 points to Serena that she'd still be behind Vika.
Maria and Vika are obviously part of this too they've both reached 9 finals and have been more consistent than Serena overall.
4th round at OZ ain't that bad and QF at Miami either btw. It's just that two players have been way more consistent.

4th round at the oz and qf at Miami ain't that bad?! You crazy or what?!
This is serena we talking about..anytime she doesn't WIN Miami, she did bad..and the same can be said about the Oz open.

About your consistency: Serena WON 7 titles, so that's already 7 finals there..it ain't like she didn't win anything. She bombed out too early at some big tourneys, didn't play others altogether..but not complaining. She's already been there, done that..

and Chrissiefan: No, she ain't playing IW ever again.

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #113
bandabou

And doomsday: Your sig is If you really believe that, then I guess you still believe in Santa Claus too.

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #114
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
4th round at the oz and qf at Miami ain't that bad?! You crazy or what?!
This is serena we talking about..anytime she doesn't WIN Miami, she did bad..and the same can be said about the Oz open.

About your consistency: Serena WON 7 titles, so that's already 7 finals there..it ain't like she didn't win anything. She bombed out too early at some big tourneys, didn't play others altogether..but not complaining. She's already been there, done that..

and Chrissiefan: No, she ain't playing IW ever again.
No it's not that bad when we know that she won Wimbledon, OG, USO and YEC.
But maybe you were expecting her to win every single title well that's not gonna happen.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #115
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

at people again trotting out the "ZOMG the competition was so much better in 2002!!!11!!". Whoever said people were wrongly conflating 2002 with 1999-2001 was spot-on - 99-01 was truly the WTA's golden age, but in '02, Hingis dropped out, Davenport missed almost the entire season with injury, Henin and Clijsters had a strangely poor year (esp in the Slams) despite their breakthrough seasons in '01. Serena's only significant rivals that year were Venus and Capriati. The strength at the top of the game was certainly on a par with 2002.

With that said, Serena's 2002 is obviously still much better than 2012, because of the fact she dominated on all surfaces. 2 of her big wins in 2012 came on grass, and she was hardly convincing at the US Open. Even though the Willytards don't like to hear it, it's still pretty obvious that Serena's best tournament of 2012 level of play-wise was the YEC (the Li match aside) when you take into account that it was a slow surface that didn't give her much serve much bang for its buck and actually forced her to play better off the ground than she did on grass.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #116
country flag Steven.

Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo View Post
So for me, while I respect Serena's 2002 season I much prefer her 2012 season as a fan. In my opinion, the true measure of a champion isn't determined during peak years but how that champion responds to opposition when the best years are behind them. I can truly say that Serena's will and determination in 2012 is impressive when you consider all the circumstances surrounding her year.
well said. That's why I have extra respect for rena, jcap, masha more than any other multi-slam champions (including hingis) because they came back from career ending scenarios, whether self indueced or not, and managed to get back to the very top of the echelon. Not only is that a mark of a true champion, but a mark of how strong they are as a human being.

I hope Venus can win an 8th slam before she retires.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #117
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

there is really no point in going back and forth with this when the answer is 2012......she is clearly a more complete player today than what she was in 2002......

you cannot register a match record of 48-2 to finish off the season and own no.1 and no.2 players in the world in slam finals and olympics with an incomplete game and incomplete confidence......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #118
country flag lloyders76

lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
can't even begin to get my head round how foolish this comment is

the 'only' reason any player doesn't get to number 1 is losing early in some major tournaments
lloyders76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #119
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
at people again trotting out the "ZOMG the competition was so much better in 2002!!!11!!". Whoever said people were wrongly conflating 2002 with 1999-2001 was spot-on - 99-01 was truly the WTA's golden age, but in '02, Hingis dropped out, Davenport missed almost the entire season with injury, Henin and Clijsters had a strangely poor year (esp in the Slams) despite their breakthrough seasons in '01. Serena's only significant rivals that year were Venus and Capriati. The strength at the top of the game was certainly on a par with 2002.

With that said, Serena's 2002 is obviously still much better than 2012, because of the fact she dominated on all surfaces. 2 of her big wins in 2012 came on grass, and she was hardly convincing at the US Open. Even though the Willytards don't like to hear it, it's still pretty obvious that Serena's best tournament of 2012 level of play-wise was the YEC (the Li match aside) when you take into account that it was a slow surface that didn't give her much serve much bang for its buck and actually forced her to play better off the ground than she did on grass.
Her best tournament was actually Charleston.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #120
country flag doomsday

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetadri06 View Post
Her best tournament was actually Charleston.
Yeah but the the competition was way too weak overall though. She played great for sure but she wasn't even challenged and couldn't be against those mugs except Stosur.

Last edited by doomsday : Nov 15th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.