More impressive title run: STUTTGART 2012 or STUTTGART 2013? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: More impressive title run?

STUTTGART 2012 29 82.86%
STUTTGART 2013 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #1
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
More impressive title run: STUTTGART 2012 or STUTTGART 2013?

Stuttgart 2012 remains my favorite Maria tournament, just in terms of performance, since the shoulder surgery. Her overall play throughout was, I thought, her best in the past 5 years. Her serve was on fire that week. And the level of competition was impressive. Defeating 3 top 10 players, who were all playing well, in a row was a great accomplishment. Coming back from match point down against Stosur to win was a huge moment not just in that match and tournament, but in Maria’s season. It propelled her to the final where she met her early 2012 nemesis, Vika. Her season could have gone downhill with a 4th straight finals loss. But Maria really elevated her game to an amazing level to crush the Extremely Injured Azarenka to win the title, starting her on her clay run.

This year’s Stuttgart certainly had a different feel. Maria’s game wasn’t as sharp as in 2012’s tourney. There were some rough patches in the first 3 rounds especially, but I loved watching her compete again and again in the face of adversity. On paper, going through Stosur/Kvitova/Azarenka looks more impressive than this year’s run. But I was amazed at how well Lucie, Ana, Angie, and Li all played collectively. They all brought their “A” game or close to it and never let up for a second against Maria. She really had to dig deep to earn the victories.

So maybe I’m being prisoner of the moment, but the drama of this year’s Stuttgart and seeing Maria play 9 hours of tennis over 4 straight days and overcoming so much to raise the trophy and win the car was a little more gratifying and rewarding to watch compared to last year. Amazing stuff.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #2
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More impressive title run: STUTTGART 2012 or STUTTGART 2013?

I thought Maria's training and focus in 2012, was to obliterate any of the cow on ice stuff....and her approach was to be slightly thinner and quicker.....it worked for her. Mission accomplished.

This year, she might or might not weigh the same, but her body looks stronger....I believe her overall focus for 2013 is a bit more on beating Serena, hopefully in a grand slam final. There have been embarrassing appearances against her, and Maria would not admit it, but I believe with a grand slam title in all four, of course there is the desire for many more.....but beginning to alter the career story against Serena has to be a key goal. Her physical condition this year looks to me better than I have ever seen. It was not quite 100 percent on thursday.....after three triple sets...she had played herself back to where she is best....not many players can do that....the conventional wisdom was that she would be worn out today. Not the way it works with Maria.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #3
country flag goldlion

goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold
I'd say in this season you know what to expect from Maria on clay given her success last year. I've seen better movement and defence this year and especially in the final three were lots of shots that Li would have nailed them had she been the old Maria but she kept keeping the balls back with depth and pace which made Li think a lot more to where to hit the shots. Hence, she lost. However there has been some inconsistencies in her serve rhythm which I hope she can fix it for the outdoor clay tournaments as it can only be harder to tackle with.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
goldlion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #4
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

2012 for sure. Remember before that tournament Maria hadn't won a title in about 8 months, and She defeated 3 consecutive GrandSlam Champion in a row (Wim 11, US 11, AO 12)...
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#42
PAW Rank:#107
FITD Rank:#188.
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #5
country flag Slampova

Slampova has a brilliant future Slampova has a brilliant future Slampova has a brilliant future Slampova has a brilliant future Slampova has a brilliant future Slampova has a brilliant future Slampova has a brilliant future Slampova has a brilliant future Slampova has a brilliant future Slampova has a brilliant future Slampova has a brilliant future

2012 for sure. I think it gave her the confidence and belief that she would win a slam again - She beat the reigning Wimbledon, US Open and Australian Open Champions consecutively and she turned her finals record around having lost at the AO, IW and Miami.

W'04, US'06, AO'08, RG'12
Slampova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #6
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I really do feel that last year's Stuttgart was one of the most significant tournament wins in Maria's entire career.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #7
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

if you are going to talk about what happened after stuttgart to make the case for 2012.....wait and see what happens next, good and/or bad, for the proper perspective on 2013.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #8
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

I think Stuttgart 2012. it was her first title in 2012 and she managed to beat Aza finally.
Though this win is based on that incredible contrast of erratic and great tennis. So unbelievable evolution!
Asanty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #9
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondan View Post
I thought Maria's training and focus in 2012, was to obliterate any of the cow on ice stuff....and her approach was to be slightly thinner and quicker.....it worked for her. Mission accomplished.

This year, she might or might not weigh the same, but her body looks stronger....I believe her overall focus for 2013 is a bit more on beating Serena, hopefully in a grand slam final. There have been embarrassing appearances against her, and Maria would not admit it, but I believe with a grand slam title in all four, of course there is the desire for many more.....but beginning to alter the career story against Serena has to be a key goal. Her physical condition this year looks to me better than I have ever seen. It was not quite 100 percent on thursday.....after three triple sets...she had played herself back to where she is best....not many players can do that....the conventional wisdom was that she would be worn out today. Not the way it works with Maria.
This is a great post and I totally agree that Maria's No. 1 goal in 2013 is to beat Serena, preferably at Wimbledon Final; if not, USO Final.

Her training this year has been geared to get her stronger, so that strength-wise she is on par with Serena. Then, she can proceed to beat Serena with her more tenacious ground strokes.

Her mission is partly completed by taking a set from Serena at Miami Final. I can't wait for them to meet again because my money will be on Maria.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #10
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

I think Stuttgart 2013 was more impressive actually cause she showed that even when she's not in perfect physical shape she can go through a tough draw and beat her nemesis in the final in straights. Even though the quality of opponents she's faced 2012 is definitely more impressive but this year she played with the pressure of defending her clay queen reputation from the get go. Imagine if she'd lost to Safarova .
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #11
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Easily 2012.
Not just because of the quality of her opponents, but also because of her own excellent tennis.

This year was also quite special. Beat two top ten players and two former Roland Garros champions to claim the title. Not to mention she played 3 matches that went to the final set.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #12
country flag heelsrule1988

heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all

Not even a question... last year. She beat three legit players in a row. This year was more of a struggle, but it was nice to see her beat Li Na rather handily.
heelsrule1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:07 AM   #13
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

2012 no doubt. Not only because of who she beat, but because it came out of buttfuck nowhere

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:42 PM   #14
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Well, based on these results, this was a really stupid poll question to ask, so I apologize for putting it out there.

But I still want to at least try to make a case that Maria's last 3 opponents this year compare pretty favorably to last year's final 3.

Even though Stosur was ranked in the top 10 at the time, Sam is a player Maria has pretty much owned for her career and she's been inconsistent and prone to mental breakdowns. Was she really that great of an opponent? Now, looking at Ivanovic, she's slowly been getting better and better lately and clay is her best surface. She's won a French, unlike Sam, and she beat Maria at RG in 2007. I realize the Ana of that time is long gone, but she's been dangerous lately.

Then you have the semis from 2012 and 2013. I know Petra has that power game of hers that can always do damage, but is she really that dangerous on clay? At that point, her game was already deteriorating from her 2011 stellar form. It was a pretty tough 2-setter, but I think Maria was the clear favorite on this surface against her. And there's no doubt, when you look at the past 12 months, Kerber has been the far better player compared to Petra. Angelique beat Maria on clay last year at the Paris Open. And then you have the added advantage in Stuttgart of Angie playing in front of her home crowd to make things tougher on Maria.

Finally, the title matches. No doubt, Vika was such a huge match for Maria, not just physically, but psychologically. After those embarrassments in Melbourne and IW, Maria had to have been feeling a huge weight and pressure on her shoulders. And to see her defeat Vika so easily was one of my favorite Maria matches ever. But we are talking about Vika on clay, her worst surface by far. If Maria was going to end her slump against her, there was a great chance it would have happened on clay. But I think Li Na is superior on clay compared to Vika. She was the French champion, she has better results. Li was rested and had that recent big win against Maria in Melbourne. This was a huge challenge for Maria.

Just throwing it out there that this year's line of opponents were pretty darn good as well.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:03 PM   #15
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Mexi, I think it's a legitimate question, but I've to go with the majority here.

VIP has never been a very serious rival for Martha, not when she's playing semi decently. RG07 Martha was horrible and VIP was arguably in peak form. I know VIP has won the French before but IMO Sam has the better claycourt game when her head's on. And she had it on during that QF against Martha last year.

I'm always scared of matches against Kvitova, and even last year she wasn't that far off from taking a set off Martha in Stuttgart. It's just that Martha's serve was SO good, she literally saved 10++ BPs, some with her trademark high-risk 2nd serves. But the SF I'd say Kerber did give Martha all she could handle.

But the final, even though it's Vika's worst surface, she didn't even play that badly for her standard. She tried to employ the same strategy against Martha on HC but it just didn't work on clay, not against a very game Martha. All aspects of her game flowed remarkably in last year's final. Whereas this year Martha I'd say is merely solid, with relatively good service numbers and a less volatile errorNa across the net.

Like someone else said, last year Martha brought her game, this year she showed us her fight. Both are admirable.
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote