What are your favourite museums/art galleries? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #31
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are your favourite museums/art galleries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
Next time I go to Vienna, I think much of my time and money will be devoted to seeing the museums. Do you know if there's a museum pass or a Vienna card? Vienna's one of my absolute favourite cities in the world. I think it's just gorgeous!!
There's indeed a Vienna card that allows you unlimited metro access and discounts to museums and other attractions. I'm fortunate that I'm a "journalist" so I've been able to go to museums for free.

I've also been to the Holocaust memorials in Berlin, DC and Jerusalem. Sobbed like a crazy person in all three, but I think the one in Jerusalem is really incredible. It's massive, and they've done a thorough job of not only chronicling the historical development of the holocaust but also making a massive emotional impact.

The Tel Aviv Museum of Art is also quite interesting. The wide range of mediums (paintings, jewelry, photography, installations) makes it a worthy stop in a city so, so young.

I've also been to the Holon Design Museum, and it's awesome! The building itself is just breath-taking.
shap_half is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #32
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting, what you say about making an emotional impact, I feel like the Jewish Museum in Berlin kind of shied away from that. I can respect wanting to present history in a very literal and impartial way but some museums just showcase material or information in a somewhat evocative way - not to manipulate people's feelings but to allow someone to feel a huge impact if they would be so inclined. I think The Dokumentationszentrum in Nuremberg is a little like this. It's probably the museum that really got my interest in museums going actually because although I knew you could find a good museum anywhere, I didn't really realise that a world class museum could be anywhere! I probably overrate the museum a little but I just love it and I always will. Also...Germans do good museums! I had a quick look at one of the museums along Bruhl's Terrace in Dresden and it was a really nice space. On the other hand, one of the thing's I remembered most vividly about my visit to the Jewish Museum in Berlin was a little exhibit on the life of a rope maker x hundred years ago. I was like...I get what you're trying to do and I respect that but, really? A rope-maker? You really want to have a museum with exhibits as mundane as this leading up to exhibits on the holocaust?

When you say the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin, do you mean...

this:

Searching by keithmaguire, on Flickr

or something else?

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #33
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

That is the memorial I was referring to. I thought it was super evocative. Those black slabs of stones - I think they're concrete - were so scary to look. So atmospheric. The entire thing looked like a cemetery.

What I found really interesting was they actually pulled information from the Yad Vashem (the memorial in Jerusalem) so that they can list all the names of the known Jews who died during the holocaust. I especially found those letters they presented on the floor to be incredibly emotional. There was one from a mother writing to her young son about being strong and that they'll see each other again. I just lost it.
shap_half is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #34
WowWow
mhmmm

WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute

Dia:Beacon
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #35
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
That is the memorial I was referring to. I thought it was super evocative. Those black slabs of stones - I think they're concrete - were so scary to look. So atmospheric. The entire thing looked like a cemetery.

What I found really interesting was they actually pulled information from the Yad Vashem (the memorial in Jerusalem) so that they can list all the names of the known Jews who died during the holocaust. I especially found those letters they presented on the floor to be incredibly emotional. There was one from a mother writing to her young son about being strong and that they'll see each other again. I just lost it.
That kind of insight is just something you don't get elsewhere.

Some of the accounts in The Peace Memorial Museum in Hiroshima are so harrowing. The museum and the park are really well done - a very fitting tribute to the victims and a firm commitment to future peace.

I believe the memorial in Berlin is, among other things, supposed to allow the visitor to imagine what it was like for people trying to escape a city (or anywhere) not knowing what could be around each corner.

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #36
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

^^ On the theme of peace, I was at the Nobel Peace Centre in Oslo yesterday which was quite interesting. In particular their 'Sheroes' exhibition, and the whole floor dedicated to Gandhi.

I think the most impressed I've been with a museum recently is Anne Frank's house, just because it gives you such a close up sense of what it might have been like and everything is kept pretty much as it was. At the same time, it gives you lots of information without feeling like a museum.
I suppose Auschwitz is the same but I don't class that as a museum.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #37
country flag kwilliams

Oh, that reminds me, the Nobel Museum in Stockholm is really quite limited!

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #38
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone mentioned the Benidorm wax museum yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowWow View Post
I grew up really close to there. They have amazing stuff.
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #39
country flag Soliloque
La nuit je mens

Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute

Louvre, Orsay and Pompidou-Metz.
Soliloque is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #40
country flag matthias
PEASANT

matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute

Egyptian museum Cairo
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #41
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

I love this painting by Lethière in Hermitage.

It's opposite the famous portrait of Joséphine de Beauharnais.

I really want to visit Prado.