2014 Australian Summer - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:03 AM   #1
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute
2014 Australian Summer

Almost off-season and we are bound to be bored and looking for something to talk about, so might as well start the Wildcard speculations entry lists should start coming out in the next few weeks.

Going to be interesting next year. We will have only 1 direct entrant in to Melbourne so the fight will be more competitive than ever for wildcards. I think the MDWC will be

1. Barty 2. Dellacqua 3.Gajdosova 4.Dokic 5.Sanders I see that as pretty set in stone tbh, unless Dokic decides she wants to play qualies or something.... in that case.... the final one would be interesting.

As for qualies we will have Liv & Anastasia in direct, so that free's up some WC's. Arina might be a slight chance to make it also, which would be good.

Who knows if Sacha Jones will be healthy?

I think Birrell & Tjandramulia have put their hands up for QWC's - Perez, Bains & Hon will also be in the running for the youngsters.

I'm sure Azra & Vicky are a lock.

Will they throw Monique one? I know she is a bit "over the hill" in tennis years but she's still one of our best players imo and can win matches.

Jess & Sally probably should miss out this year but TA may cop out and just give them one, who knows.

I'm also interested to see who gets the Brisbane/Sydney/Hobart WC'S

I'll go with Barty & Dellacqua/Gajdosova for Bris.

Sydney.... I have no idea - probably just give one to Casey and then internationals for the rest, maybe Storm if she's fit.

Maria SHARAPOVA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
petey_pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:07 AM   #2
country flag Kəv.

Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Australian Summer

Priscilla should be a lock for QWC, she even won a round this year.

Imagine Dragons. Of Monsters and Men. Samantha Jade. Bastille <3

R.I.P Forever Elena Baltacha <3
Kəv. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:33 AM   #3
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of

Difficult with Sydney because everyone would rather play Hobart, even Stosur, considering Sydney is so strong and Hobart you have the chance to make a run.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:59 AM   #4
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel. View Post
Difficult with Sydney because everyone would rather play Hobart, even Stosur, considering Sydney is so strong and Hobart you have the chance to make a run.
Yeah we all saw what happened to Issy Holland I would say Casey is the only one who could hold their own in the MD, Liv did ok against Kirilenko this year... but has dropped off.

Maria SHARAPOVA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 03:09 AM   #5
country flag jack21

jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold

At this stage I'd say that Barty, Dellacqua and Gajdosova are all certainties for MDWC's. Dokic will get one if she shows half decent form at the playoff and warm ups but you just don't know what form/fitness she will bring to the table so it's too early to tell for her.

The last one will be interesting. Before the USO I would have said that Sanders was a lock but with her injury it could be interesting. If she doesn't find some form before the playoff I could see Rogowska or maybe Rodionova Jr swooping in and taking it from her. I can't see anyone else being considered unless we have a shock winner of the playoff (which is always possible).

For QWC's I'd go:

Rajicic
Hadzic
Patterson
Jones (if fit)
Hon
Bains
Birrell/Tjandramulia/Perez (whoever does best at 18's)

I think that the likes of Peers, Moore, Bai and Holland will miss out unless they do something special very soon.

Jarmila Groth, Anastasia Rodionova, Isabella Holland, Olivia Rogowska

Lucie Safarova, Daniela Hantuchova, Kim Clijsters, Sabine Lisicki
jack21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 03:29 AM   #6
country flag hessie

hessie is a splendid one to behold hessie is a splendid one to behold hessie is a splendid one to behold hessie is a splendid one to behold hessie is a splendid one to behold hessie is a splendid one to behold hessie is a splendid one to behold hessie is a splendid one to behold hessie is a splendid one to behold hessie is a splendid one to behold hessie is a splendid one to behold

I think it would be better for Jelena in the long run to get WC for Hobart Qualifying and AO Qualifying. I think she needs the match practice, and if shes good enough she will qualify!

TT D: 38 (High:18) 2014: (MD:21-17)(Q:0-3). Overall -(151-142)
Titles: 4. (2012: Versmold, Poitiers. 2013: Dothan, St. Petersburg)
Grand Slams: AUS: 3rd (R/UP), RG: 3rd (2nd), WIM: 1st (1st), US: - (1st)
hessie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 03:48 AM   #7
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessie View Post
I think it would be better for Jelena in the long run to get WC for Hobart Qualifying and AO Qualifying. I think she needs the match practice, and if shes good enough she will qualify!
With the sorts of crowds she pulls they will definitely give her a MD WC. It is probably already locked in considering she is travelling for this AO campaign.

Chuck her in Brisbane and Hobart qualies tho. Potentially even Auckland over Brisbane. So she hopefully has a handful of matches played going in. Although with the news she is alternate for Hopman Cup it is likely she'll miss that Brisbane week and just train in Perth not to get a match.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 04:10 AM   #8
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel. View Post
With the sorts of crowds she pulls they will definitely give her a MD WC. It is probably already locked in considering she is travelling for this AO campaign.

Chuck her in Brisbane and Hobart qualies tho. Potentially even Auckland over Brisbane. So she hopefully has a handful of matches played going in. Although with the news she is alternate for Hopman Cup it is likely she'll miss that Brisbane week and just train in Perth not to get a match.
Probably not a bad idea to hit up in Perth, Brisbane will be fierce competition even in Q.

I agree. She could be 100kg & one legged & she would get one as she will pull a way bigger crowd than any of the other girls.

Sent from Verticalsports.com App

Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9
country flag Zoran :)

Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice Zoran :) is just really nice

When is AO play-off? What Jelena Dokic play first?
Zoran :) is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #10
country flag Kəv.

Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute

From Jelena's forum

--

Jelena Dokic aims for a comeback, although she never really went away
November 19, 2013 12:00AM

LIKE any athlete returning from long-term injury, Jelena Dokic just wants to play again.

The hurdles ahead are many.

Now 30 and out of action for nearly 18 months after wrist surgery and glandular fever, Dokic is realistic about the amount of work she needs to do to return to the professional tour.

"A lot of people have said it's a comeback, which is interesting because she didn't quit, she didn't retire," said Tennis Australia's player manager, Todd Woodbridge.

"It's been surgery and illness so it's been a rough trot for her."

Two months ago Dokic contacted Woodbridge about making her way back to the WTA.

The multi-grand slam doubles winner encouraged her and boyfriend Tin Bikic to come to Melbourne so he could help train her.

"I'm not her coach but in my role with TA I'm trying to get her back because she wants to play - and for two or three more years if all goes well."

Woodbridge works one of the four sessions Dokic has daily and is seeing some early progress.

"She's been here for about six weeks and last week was a real breakthrough where her movement took a leap forward and with that her ball-striking came. She's starting to touch all the bases now.

"And that's what's remarkable about her. She is a really resilient character. Whatever happens with her career path this time around, the Australian public will really start to embrace her again - get an attachment to her."

She was given heroine status in 2009 when, on a wildcard, Dokic advanced to the Australian Open quarter-finals.

Dokic will play her first competitive matches in next month's Australian Open wildcard playoff. Then she will enter qualifying for the Brisbane and Sydney tournaments. She knows TA will not be handing out wildcards.

"What I love about her is that she walked in and did a session against the younger guys and her intensity was as good as theirs," Woodbridge said.

"She works very hard and she's very focused.

"It's an excellent example to the younger players."

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #11
country flag scottsue

scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of

I dont believe TA will not hand her any wild cards. With her crowd drawing potential and her story she is a certainty I think.
scottsue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #12
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

They will probably offer her wild cards but I think it would be a smart move on her behalf to play qualies and get that much needed match practice and match fitness playing qualies.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #13
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsue View Post
I dont believe TA will not hand her any wild cards. With her crowd drawing potential and her story she is a certainty I think.
I think they mean they won't hand them out just because she is Jelena Dokic.

It will all come down to her form and if she's ready. She's coming from a long way back and I wouldn't be surprised if she struggles even in the playoff. All the players in contention seem to be pretty match tough atm.
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 06:34 PM   #14
country flag Chilenaitor

Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future Chilenaitor has a brilliant future

cant wait for this!!
Chilenaitor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #15
country flag Kəv.

So in Hopman Cup we have Sam playing with Jelena being a backup? (although wasn't she supposed to have a Brissy QWC?)

In Brisbane this year there were 2 WCs (Jarka & Olivia), next year there should be 3? And nexy year we will have no DE into MD

There are 2 DE's into QD next year (Casey and Anastasia). My picks are Casey, Barty, Gajdosova (maybe Storm?) into MDWC. With Olivia, Viki, Priscilla and Birell into Qualies.