The Millennium top-10 - How are countries doing? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 11th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #1
country flag Serve2Win

Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute
The Millennium top-10 - How are countries doing?

How many countries are doing well placing players in the top-10 since 2000?
Some countries did OK but are now disappearing. Others are getting ready to take over. Let's take a look. I'll start with a couple of countries. Please add other countries.

USA:
current players in the top-10: 1 (Serena Williams)
Players that made the top-10 since 2000: 5 (Serena, Venus, Davenport, Capriati, Chanda Rubin)
IMHO, Players to reach top-10 in 2015: 0

Belgium:
current players in the top-10: 0
Players that made the top-10 since 2000: 2 (Henin, Clisjters)

China:
Players that made the top-10 since 2000: 1 (Li Na)

Please add other countries.

Last edited by Serve2Win : Dec 11th, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
Serve2Win is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 11th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #2
country flag larryd

larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of
Re: The Millennium top-10 - How are countries doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serve2Win View Post
USA:
current players in the top-10: 1 (Serena Williams)
Players that made the top-10 since 2000: 5 (Serena, Venus, Davenport, Capriati, Chanda Rubin)
Very disappointing decline for the US. In the 80s and 90s there were probably at least 20 different American players that reached the top ten.
larryd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #3
country flag eldanielfire

eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future
The Millennium top-10 - How are countries doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryd View Post
Very disappointing decline for the US. In the 80s and 90s there were probably at least 20 different American players that reached the top ten.

Has US Tennis declined? Or has Other countries risen in Tennis? It certainly seems the future, for both sexes, is European with a sprinkling of there's from around the globe, especially a lot of Eastern Europeans.

It's no coincidence the rise of European tennis occurred with the fall of communism and athletes bring able to make big money from beyond Germany.

Sent from Verticalsports.com App
eldanielfire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #4
country flag Serve2Win

Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute Serve2Win has a reputation beyond repute

Yes... Venus was #2 or #3 (can't remember), when she got diagnosed with that disease.
Since then, Serena is the only USA lady in the top-10. It's been, what, 3 years?
Since Davenport retired, there have not been 3 USA players in the top-10. Pretty sad.
Venus probably has more chances to join back the top-10 in 2015. But with her condition, one can't bet on it... She could be out for 3, 4 months easily.
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #5
Milan.

Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute

Serbia

Current players in the top-10: 1 (Ana Ivanovic)
Players that made the top-10 since 2000: 3 (Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Jelena Dokic)

W. Faulkner
Milan. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #6
country flag SlovakTennisFan

SlovakTennisFan is a name known to all SlovakTennisFan is a name known to all SlovakTennisFan is a name known to all SlovakTennisFan is a name known to all SlovakTennisFan is a name known to all SlovakTennisFan is a name known to all SlovakTennisFan is a name known to all SlovakTennisFan is a name known to all SlovakTennisFan is a name known to all SlovakTennisFan is a name known to all SlovakTennisFan is a name known to all

Slovakia

Current players in the top-10: 1 (Dominika Cibulková)
Players that made the top-10 since 2000: 2 (Daniela Hantuchová, Dominika Cibulková)

Czech Republic

Current players in the top-10: 1 (Petra Kvitová)
Players that made the top-10 since 2000: 2 (Nicole Vaidišová, Petra Kvitová)
SlovakTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #7
country flag Serve2Win

So far, no much hope for countries sending new top-10 players in the mix in 2015.
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #8
country flag LionCZ

LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light

Russia

Current players in the top-10: 1 (Sharapova)
Players that made the top-10 since 2000: 10 (Kournikova, Dementeva, Myshkina, Kuznetsova, Petrova, Zvonareva, Sharapova, Safina, Chakvetadze, Kirilenko)
IMHO, Players to reach top-10 in 2015: 1 (Makarova)
LionCZ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #9
country flag LionCZ

LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light LionCZ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlovakTennisFan View Post
IMHO, Players to reach top-10 in 2015: 1 (Šafářová)

(For SlovakTennisFan - Šafážová)
LionCZ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #10
country flag Serve2Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCZ View Post
IMHO, Players to reach top-10 in 2015: 1 (Šafářová) :-)
Agree.
We are starting the top-10 game earlier; It's very popular here and hope Coolfish will open the Contest soon. But on my early draft, I have Safarova making the top-10 in 2015. I think she'll make it. She had a good run last year. I expect her to continue to rise. Here are 2014 and the new 2015 predictions:
http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/pd...our=WTA&y=2014
Feel free to enter your top-10.
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #11
country flag elba

elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of

Quote:
IMHO, Players to reach top-10 in 2015: 1 (Šafářová)

(For SlovakTennisFan - Šafážová)
Petra will also lose her citizenship. Slovakai +1
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #12
country flag Serve2Win

Quote:
Russia

Current players in the top-10: 1 (Sharapova)
Players that made the top-10 since 2000: 10 (Kournikova, Dementeva, Myshkina, Kuznetsova, Petrova, Zvonareva, Sharapova, Safina, Chakvetadze, Kirilenko)
IMHO, Players to reach top-10 in 2015: 1 (Makarova)
Russia has placed more players in the top-10. Impressive. I don't think another country has reached that high a number. Where's there a time where we had 5 or 6 Russians in the top-10?

Last edited by Serve2Win : Dec 11th, 2014 at 09:00 PM.
Serve2Win is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #13
country flag eldanielfire

eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future eldanielfire has a brilliant future

Quote:
Russia has placed more players in the top-10. Impressive. I don't think another country can that high a number. Where's there a time where we had 5 or 6 Russians in the top-10?
Yeah. Around that 2004-2009 period I'm sure Russia consistently had 5 or 6 players in the top 10/20 regularly.
eldanielfire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #14
country flag Soliloque
La nuit je mens

Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute

France :
Players that made the top-10 since 2000: 6 (Mauresmo, Bartoli, Tauziat, Halard-Decugis, Pierce, Testud) Dechy and Cornet at #11
IMHO, Players to reach top-10 in 2015: 4 (Cornet, Garcia, Dodin, De Bernardi). Or none.
TT Doubles Titles : Seoul 2014 (w/ Andreas) Osaka 2013 (w/ matthias) Nantes Challenger YEC 2013 - Charlottesville 50k 2013 - Saint Martin 10k 2013 - Orlando 10k 2013 - Sibenik 10k 2013 (all w/ charmedRic)
Tipping Titles : Australian Open 2014
Soliloque is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #15
country flag Soliloque
La nuit je mens

Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Russia has placed more players in the top-10. Impressive. I don't think another country has reached that high a number. Where's there a time where we had 5 or 6 Russians in the top-10?
Pretty sure France had 5 players in the top 11 or 10 somewhere in 2000 (Pierce, Tauziat, Halard, Mauresmo, Testud). That was also impressive coming from a smaller country.
TT Doubles Titles : Seoul 2014 (w/ Andreas) Osaka 2013 (w/ matthias) Nantes Challenger YEC 2013 - Charlottesville 50k 2013 - Saint Martin 10k 2013 - Orlando 10k 2013 - Sibenik 10k 2013 (all w/ charmedRic)
Tipping Titles : Australian Open 2014
Soliloque is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote