** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3 - Page 98 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 21st, 2014, 05:11 AM   #1456
country flag midaso

midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Maria's humility and well-grounded personality and perspective are part of what makes her so easy and exciting to like and root for. A true role model for all young people.
Unfortunately,a significant % of the population have the opposite opinion of her. All they see though,is the tip of the iceberg...
midaso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 21st, 2014, 05:50 AM   #1457
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaso View Post
Unfortunately,a significant % of the population have the opposite opinion of her. All they see though,is the tip of the iceberg...
Their loss. Those people made up their minds long ago that they're going to hate Maria no matter what she does. But she doesn't need those kinds of narrow-minded individuals anyway.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 06:40 AM   #1458
country flag buian

buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light

Ten years on: How Maria conquered Wimbledon

Maria Sharapova won her sole SW19 title as an unheralded 17-year-old by not thinking about the enormity of her situation
A decade on from the Wimbledon triumph that changed her life, Maria Sharapova remembers the moment she set her heart on winning at the All England Club.

It was not during the course of the 2004 competition, which ended with the 17-year-old being crowned champion after a stunning victory over Serena Williams, or even the year before, when she reached the fourth round on her tournament debut. It was in 2002, after her loss to fellow Russian Vera Dushevina in the Wimbledon girls’ final.

“I think the junior final was on the Sunday, after the men had finished,” Sharapova recalled. “I was one of the last people leaving the site and it was quite late and nearly dark. It’s a bit eerie really to leave when there’s nobody there and the tournament has finished.

“As we were driving away I remember looking back and thinking how special it was. I was probably upset because I’d lost in the final. I was thinking about the match and all the what-ifs, but I looked back and thought how beautiful it was, how I couldn’t wait to come back and how I’d really like to win it one day.”

Two years later Sharapova did just that, completing her triumph with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Williams on one of the most remarkable days in Wimbledon history. There have been younger women’s champions – Lottie Dod at 15 years and 285 days in 1887 and Martina Hingis at 16 years and 278 days in 1997 – but Sharapova’s victory, 75 days after her 17th birthday, was extraordinary for several reasons.

Sharapova was the world No 15 at the time. Until her triumph no player ranked as low had won the title. The Russian had arrived in SW19 having won just three minor tournaments in her career (most recently at Edgbaston in the build-up to Wimbledon), while 22-year-old Williams was chasing her 25th title and her third in succession at the All England Club. The American had won five of the previous seven Grand Slam tournaments in which she had competed.

Sharapova sailed through her first four matches without dropping a set, but had to come from behind to beat Ai Sugiyama in the quarter-finals and Lindsay Davenport in the semi-finals. Williams, who had not dropped a set until she met Amélie Mauresmo in the semi-finals, was the red-hot favourite, but her resistance in the final lasted just 73 minutes.

Sharapova won five games in a row to take the first set and recovered from 4-2 down in the second. Her game was a mixture of the crunching groundstrokes which have become her trademark, some audacious lobs and one shot driven straight at Williams’ face as the champion closed in on the net.

Looking back, Sharapova believes a key factor was that she treated the final just like any other match. “I really had horse blinkers on,” she said. “I didn’t think about anything. I think that helped me get through the situation so much better. That’s why I was fearless. I treated it as if I was playing on Court No 20, although I was actually on Centre Court in front of thousands of people playing for the Wimbledon championship.”

She had spent the night before the final fretting about a sore throat, which she feared would mean she would be unable to do herself justice. She did not sleep well, although there were fewer distractions than there had been during most previous nights during the tournament.

“At the beginning it was a bit of a mess because our housing situation didn’t work out,” Sharapova explained. “We ended up staying with a family with three young kids. My father and I were on the top floor of a home in Wimbledon village, so that was very interesting.

“There were a lot of 6am wake-up calls from the kids. I still think back and wonder how I coped with that. Then the next morning, after the final, I was just holding my replica trophy with them in their garden like it was no big deal.

“I had faced so many things. I was in the Wimbledon final playing Serena Williams, who had won the tournament so many years. It was my first ever Grand Slam final. I don’t think I would have done well if I had thought of all those things – and I really didn’t.”

Sharapova went on to win all four Grand Slam titles and become world No 1, but it was the 2004 Wimbledon triumph that put her on the road to becoming the world’s most famous and most successful sportswoman. She has topped the Forbes list of the planet’s highest-earning sportswomen for the last nine years in a row, with her latest annual earnings estimated at $29m (about £17m).

Although she has a sharp business brain – her latest and boldest venture, her Sugarpova confectionery business, has been a big success – Sharapova’s off-court commitments have never distracted her from her tennis, despite some serious shoulder problems. She came back from her latest six-month lay-off to win her second French Open a fortnight ago.

“One of the reasons I have been able to keep that success and carry on with all the things I do is that I love going on the court,” she said. “I love competing and the fight and the drive, but I also have opportunities to do things that make me happy and which I really enjoy.

“If you don’t have that passion you are never going to be really successful. Things are always going to be a drag and weigh you down and pull you in so many directions when you are a 17-year-old who has won Wimbledon.”

Sharapova has never made a secret of the fact that Wimbledon remains her most treasured prize. Her replica trophy takes pride of place in her home in Florida. “It’s the smallest Grand Slam trophy, although the French Open is also pretty small,” she said.

Ten years later, perhaps the biggest surprise is that 2004 remains Sharapova’s only Wimbledon success. In nine subsequent appearances she has reached only one more final, losing to Petra Kvitova three years ago.

Who would have thought in 2004 that 10 years on Sharapova would have won more French Opens than Wimbledons or that Williams would have beaten her 15 times in a row between 2005 and the present day?

But then again, as her 2004 triumph told us, sport’s capacity to surprise is one of its most enduring attractions.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...n-9552987.html
buian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 11:54 AM   #1459
country flag Fan de Tennis

Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaso View Post
Actually I don't care about this %. They have a biased mind because of their hate and jealousy towards Maria. People who have a larger and objective view think differently and they are more numerous.
Fan de Tennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 11:57 AM   #1460

Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Maria's humility and well-grounded personality and perspective are part of what makes her so easy and exciting to like and root for. A true role model for all young people.
+1. And very articulate.
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 01:50 PM   #1461
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...rand-slam.html

A summer’s day at the All England Club. Serena Williams is the defending champion, a titan of the court, training her flesh-melting stare on any rival who dares to stand against her. Maria Sharapova, tennis’s golden girl, is the challenger, shrieking her defiance with every forehand.

This is the rivalry Wimbledon-watchers have been praying for over the past decade. It is also a rivalry that has never really developed. Williams’s superiority over Sharapova has taken the edge off their on-court duels, even if their personal interactions remain chillier than liquid nitrogen.

There was one day, though, when the two most famous names in the women’s game produced a classic Wimbledon moment. The day was July 3, 2004, and the match was a ladies’ singles final that looked a foregone conclusion, much like the moment in Jurassic Park where the T-Rex meets the tethered goat.

Williams, the champion in 2002 and 2003, wanted a ‘three-peat’. Max Eisenbud, Sharapova’s agent, was simply hoping that his young protégée would put up a fight. “Not for one second did I think she was going to win,” he recalls now. Yet Sharapova was powered by the invincibility of youth. She, and she alone, believed she could triumph.

“I had played Serena a few months before that for the very first time in my career,” Sharapova says. “I was quite overwhelmed by her power, by her physicality. She was everywhere on the court, and I remember feeling that type of ball and that pace was very different to any other opponent I’d played against.

“But I don’t remember going into that final being intimidated by what she had presented. I was a very fearless competitor.”

In her early years in Russia, and then during her time at Nick Bollettieri’s Academy in Florida, Sharapova had barely even seen a grass court. She knew they existed, from glimpses of Wimbledon on TV, but the first time she played on one was in a junior tournament at Roehampton, aged 15. She won it.

Sharapova was granted a wild card into the senior Wimbledon draw a year later, and more than justified the decision as she beat 11th-seed Jelena Dokic before falling in the fourth round. “It’s funny, because what with practising and playing my own tournaments, I wasn’t so involved in watching Wimbledon. But for some reason every time I did see it on the TV I felt, ‘Wow’, there is something so special about it. They’d show the lawn and Henman Hill and I wanted to be part of that one day.

“As for grass, I remember liking it from the first time I played on it. I think you either just like something or you don’t. And I think because it’s so rare, I love those unexpected moments, the bounce is low and you’ve got to be quick, and all those things.”

When Sharapova began her 2004 crusade, against Yuliya Beygelzimer on Court No 13, most of the attention was on the big players in the draw, who included Andy Murray’s new coach Amélie Mauresmo. But she romped through the first week without dropping a set, before coming up against Lindsay Davenport in a memorable semi-final. This one included an hour-long rain delay, which Sharapova passed by reading OK! magazine.

“I think she was leading by a set and a break when the rain came,” says Sharapova. “I was down and out. But I was a happy girl. I was in the semi-finals for the first time. A few weeks ago I’d been a quarter-finalist at Roland Garros, and I was happy to be booking a flight home late in the second week of Wimbledon.

“Then the rain stopped and I remember just before I went on court my dad looked me in the eyes and said, ‘You’re going to win this match.’ And I gave him a ‘Yeah, right’ kind of look. It was tough to face him afterwards because you never want to admit when your father’s right.” Sharapova’s 2-6, 7-6, 6-1 victory sent Eisenbud back to the travel agent to rebook flights for the third time that week.

“I don’t look back at the final very often but when I do I still sometimes feel like, ‘Oh, that moment actually happened!’. It was so inspiring and it was so unexpected in so many different ways, at that age and from anyone around me.”

On the rest day before that climactic match, she had woken up with a sore throat – usually a sign of a fever to come. The doctor was called, and she spent the day in an anxious tizzy, yet when play was called on a perfect summer’s Saturday, all her worries were forgotten. The first set lasted just 26 minutes as her ferocious groundstrokes made Williams look ponderous and uncertain.

“It was incredible to step out at that moment and play with no fear,” says Eisenbud, “like she knew she was going to win.” Williams pressed to regain the initiative in the second set, but Sharapova produced arguably the shot of the match – a backhand topspin lob, played at a dead run to her left – to help her hold serve for 4-4. Two games later, the job was done.

“I just remember being on the ground and looking at the box and shaking my head and saying, ‘Did this really happen?’.” She climbed up to her player’s box to embrace her father, Yuri, and then made a desperate attempt to contact her mother Elena, who was on a plane at the time. Savvy as ever, Eisenbud tossed a handset down onto the court for the mobile phone call, a stunt he later parlayed into an endorsement deal with Motorola.

“People were throwing all sorts of invitations at Maria after that final,” he says. “Some of them were offering to swing by and pick her up in a private jet. But her ability to say no is an amazing thing. To me, that’s why she has been so successful.

“At the French Open, these exciting young 20-year-olds like Garbiñe Muguruza and Eugenie Bouchard were being feted for reaching the semi-finals or whatever. But you’ve got to remember that Maria had won three grand slams by the time she turned 21.”

That glorious summer’s day was the start of an equally glorious sequence for Sharapova, which would only be interrupted by a shoulder reconstruction in 2008. “When I look back,” she says, “people must have been thinking, ‘It lasted two weeks, can she do it again?’ And then I did do it again, at the US Open and the Australian Open. I’m proud of all those moments, but the Wimbledon title was very special.

“It’s nice not to look back at it too often, because when you do look back, it’s still fresh.”
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 02:31 PM   #1462
country flag Shirapova

Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...don?CMP=twt_gu
Shirapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 02:42 PM   #1463
country flag buian

buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light

https://twitter.com/SW_SportWeek/sta...025409/photo/1
buian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 08:36 PM   #1464

A lot of great articles. Another one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...orth-150m.html
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 08:37 PM   #1465
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

So many articles about Maria as of late
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #1466

http://twitter.com/tumcarayol/status/480333628615163904
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 05:22 PM   #1467
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan de Tennis View Post
The fascination surrounding Sharapova winning a decade ago is something. There was little fuss for Federer 2013, Serena 2012 or Venus 2010.

Maria has won four more grand slams since, and has been consistently rated in Maxim and other sources as one of the most beautiful women on the face of the earth.

These people who gripe about her being overhyped are part of what keeps her overhyped.

God forbid she wins this year....I am not sure some of them would be emotionally equipped to deal with it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 06:25 PM   #1468
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon17th View Post
2 per cent of his talent? Martha your tenacity alone belongs to the top 0.02% of the whole tennisverse, but well stay #humble

and I bet he wants 2% of her career...
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 08:50 PM   #1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondan View Post

Maria has won four more grand slams since, and has been consistently rated in Maxim and other sources as one of the most beautiful women on the face of the earth.

These people who gripe about her being overhyped are part of what keeps her overhyped.

God forbid she wins this year....I am not sure some of them would be emotionally equipped to deal with it.
Good one.
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 10:28 PM   #1470
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I’ve been in different relationships that are in the public eye and social media
What on Earth is she talking about here? None of her relationships has ever been much in the public eye and social media.. at least not more than it is now... paparazzi pics, daily mail articles, tweets, subtle messages on camera, social channel videos... so...

as for winning Wimby - for her one of the most difficult tasks! Ever! Just like playing well at the USO. Should concentrate on that imo...

About the "fuss" - I disagree... all those wins were well-celebrated... Why is Maria's Wimby special? Becauase she was a) young, b) defeated the overwhelming favourite, c) was relatively fresh on the tour and a foreigner (not American or British or Westerner) with a lot of sacfrifice made from people around her (read parents) in order to succeed - just like the stories of all the Serbian players are so special and sometimes repeated ad nauseum, even for us, fans (the empty swimming pool), d) had a special attitude (was distant and a tad bit arrogant and was not afraid of showing confidence), e) had a great manager, f) did a great move - spontaneously turned herself into a phone marketing star..., g) was her FIRST Slam victory, h) her career was launched into the stratosphere after that and she knew well how to work it / use it (did not let all the attention eat her, like some others did, *cough* *cough* the other girl in my avi)...

Last edited by MM_1257 : Jun 22nd, 2014 at 10:38 PM.
MM_1257 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote