** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3 - Page 101 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 29th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #1501
country flag buian

buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3

Maria Sharapova beats Alison Riske to keep alive her Wimbledon dream
author Simon Cambers

If someone had told Maria Sharapova when she won the title here in 2004 that 10 years on she would be chasing a French Open-Wimbledon double, she probably would have laughed in their faces. But after marching into the fourth round on Saturday with another authoritative performance, the Russian looks like a woman on a mission.

Her 6-3, 6-0 win over the American Alison Riske sent her into the last 16 for the loss of just seven games, her best start to Wimbledon in 12 attempts. The shock defeat of Serena Williams means she is the new favourite for the title but Sharapova is doing what she does best, focusing on herself and getting the job done, far too experienced to get ahead of herself.

“I’m just happy to be in the second week,” she said, having slipped out of the tournament in the second round last year. “After last year’s result, I wasn’t satisfied and I was looking forward to coming back. So I am very excited to be through.”

You have to go back to 2002 to find the last time a woman completed the French Open-Wimbledon double, when Serena Williams followed up her first Roland Garros crown with her first victoryat Wimbledon. But the manner of her three wins so far suggests that Sharapova believes she can match the American’s achievement and extend her grand slam tally to six.

Things didn’t look that great when she dropped her serve in the first game on Saturday, in a match played entirely indoors after the roof was closed following morning rain which continued well into the afternoon. Riske, the world No 44, is a player who loves to take the ball early and her flat hitting caught Sharapova on the back foot as she extended her lead to 3-1.

At one stage last year, Riske had the bizarre record of all 11 of her career wins coming in the same tournament, on the grass in Birmingham, while she was winless in 13 matches elsewhere. She has climbed the rankings in the past 12 months, though, and is something of a grass-court expert, serving smartly, moving well and denying Sharapova time to crack her ground strokes.

But from 1-3, Sharapova cut out her mistakes and after breaking back in a long sixth game to level, she broke again two games later and served out the set. Riske had missed her chance and with her tail up, the Russian, seeded fifth this year, reeled off another six games to make it 11 in a row and claim a convincing victory, all in front of a royal box full of sports stars including David Beckham.

“I felt better as the match went on,” Sharapova said. “Alison’s a great grass-court player. She’s had some of her best results on this surface so I knew it was going to be a tough challenge. I had a bit of a slow start but I am happy I am through.”

Switching from clay to grass is the first challenge in moving from Paris to London but Sharapova said there was also a mental effort required, not least in getting back down to earth after the high of a grand slam triumph.

“ On a grand slam stage, when you’re playing seven matches within those two weeks, you’re always kind of rolling with each round,” she said.

“You’re going to the next one. Once you get to another [grand slam], one of the toughest things is you start from scratch, you start from the first match. Mentally that’s always a bit more difficult because you achieve some great success, then you get on the train, come here, and right away the mentality switches, you’ve got to start from the first round on. You don’t get any free points or any byes.

“You know the physical aspects of the surface, they’re much tougher than they were many years ago. That transition has always been quite tough for me. Every year I try to maybe find a better formula towards my body and what will get me enough rest and enough practice and matches and all that.”

Sharapova’s first week has been almost perfect; now she takes on Germany’s Angelique Kerber, who beat Kirsten Flipkens of Belgium, a semi-finalist here last year. “I’m quite happy with the way I’ve gone about things so far. You never know what to expect. Each match poses different challenges.

“ But I’m happy I’ve gone further than last year, erasing those memories and trying to form new ones.”

Should Sharapova go on to win the title, and she will fancy her chances after saving her energy in week one, she might be tempted to vault into the stands and celebrate with friends and family, a la Pat Cash, Goran Ivanisevic and, last year, Andy Murray. A gate has been installed to aid access to the players’ box, which some feel has ruined a great tradition of clambering over the heads of fans. Sharapova, typically, does not care.

“I heard you can open the gate,” she said, to laughter. “I’ll worry about it if it happens. That will be a great problem to have.”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...iske-wimbledon
Advertisement

Old Jun 29th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #1502
country flag buian

buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light

Quotes
"I didn't want to get broken in the first game, but besides that break point I lost on my serve I didn't face another one throughout the match, so I was quite pleased about that," Sharapova commented.

"Overall she can be a dangerous player on grass. She has proved that before. Even though we played a long time ago, it was a three set match, and going into this one I knew that I had to be there.

"I thought I did a good job of maintaining my focus until the end."

Among those in the Royal Box for the match was David Beckham - Sharapova was asked about that.

"I've actually met him a couple times at different events in LA and in London," Sharapova said. "He's a great guy. Besides being an incredible football player, he has so much that he's done in his career, having a family, maintaining so many things off the court. He's a really nice person to chat to."

Sharapova also talked about the special respect she has for other athletes like Beckham.

"I respect so many athletes in different sports," Sharapova added. "I think we can all really relate to each other's profession, even though all the sports are quite different in terms of the training. But at the end of the day the commitments and sacrifices in terms of being an athlete are pretty similar.

"I always feel like I really understand and actually get star struck more when I'm around athletes that have done incredible things in their career, rather than maybe musicians or other professions."
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl...iske-on-centre
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #1503
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

TENNIS WIMBLEDON 2014 – 28th of June. M. Sharapova d. A . Riske 6-3, 6-0. An interview with Maria Sharapova

Q. Kind of a slight shock at the start, then cruised through the gears, nice relaxing couple of days off. What’s your assessment?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it’s just one day off, not a couple. But, yeah, I didn’t want to get broken in the first game. But she started very solid, served very well. Besides that breakpoint that I lost on my serve, I didn’t face another one throughout the match, so I was quite pleased about that.
Yeah, overall I think she can be a dangerous player on grass, this surface, and has proved that before. Even though we played a long time ago, it was a three-set match. Going into this one I knew that I had to be there.
I thought I did a good job of maintaining my focus until the end.

Q. Were you aware that David Beckham was the only person in the Royal Box who saw virtually all of your match? Are you inspired by stars from other sports or whether you learn from them?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I respect so many athletes in different sports. I think we can all really relate to each other’s profession, even though all the sports are quite different in terms of the training. But at the end of the day the commitments and sacrifices in terms of being an athlete are similar.
I always feel like I really understand and actually get star struck more when I’m around athletes that have done incredible things in their career rather than maybe musicians or other professions.

Q. Would he be someone you’d be star struck by?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I’ve actually met him a couple times at different events in L.A. and in London. I’ve met him before.

Q. What is it like to chat with him like that?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, he’s a great guy. I mean, besides being an incredible football player, he has so much that he’s done in his career, having a family, maintaining so many things off the court. Really nice person to chat to.
We’re not best buddies or anything, but it’s nice to be able to say hello and congratulate each other on achievements we’ve had in our careers and so on.

Q. How difficult is trying to do the French Open/Wimbledon double?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, this is only my second time trying to do that. Of course, the transition, it’s no secret, it’s very difficult. But I’m quite happy with the way I’ve gone about things so far.
You never know what to expect. Each match poses its different challenges. I’m happy I’ve gone further than last year, erasing those memories and trying to form new ones.

Q. You spoke a moment ago about observing other athletes. One of the common dominators of course is rituals and superstitions. What are some of yours, if you had to pick the ones you’ve had during your career, that stand out the most in your routine?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I think it’s more of a routine rather than superstitions. I mean, I’ve been on the tour for so long. I’m experienced enough to know what works for me in terms of preparation and the way I go about things minutes before the match, hours before, nights before, whether it’s spending time with your team or having a chitchat right before with your coach as you go on.
I wouldn’t say they’re superstitions but more of rituals and routines that I’ve carried out, yeah, throughout many years.

Q. Are there other ones we could list that we see on the court and what they mean to you?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think I always take a few seconds in between the points and go back and kind of fiddle around with my strings. I think it’s always nice when you’re in front of thousands of people, whether you’re in a good moment or bad moment, to kind of gather your thoughts. That’s sort of something I’ve done for a really long time. I keep doing it, yeah.

Q. Is there one ultimate sports star you have met who made you star struck or one that you would like to meet?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I randomly met Michael Jordan at a private airport. I don’t even know why. I didn’t grow up watching so much basketball. I was like, Wow, that’s cool.
I don’t really know the reason, but I think of all his success on and off the court, it’s great to meet someone like that. He recognized me, which is pretty cool I thought back in the day.

Q. Were you jittery meeting him, palms sweating?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I do get quite shy. So, yeah, I might have been.
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#29
PAW Rank:#29 Titles New Haven 2014
FITD Rank:#81.
Three Hands Titles Montreal, Tokyo 2014
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #1504
country flag Fan de Tennis

Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crux Squall View Post
TENNIS WIMBLEDON 2014 – 28th of June. M. Sharapova d. A . Riske 6-3, 6-0. An interview with Maria Sharapova

Q. Would he be someone you’d be star struck by?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I’ve actually met him a couple times at different events in L.A. and in London. I’ve met him before.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, he’s a great guy. I mean, besides being an incredible football player, he has so much that he’s done in his career, having a family, maintaining so many things off the court. Really nice person to chat to.
We’re not best buddies or anything, but it’s nice to be able to say hello and congratulate each other on achievements we’ve had in our careers and so on.
It's not because you met someone once or a couple times that makes you her/his friend. Miss Bouchard

Last edited by Fan de Tennis : Jun 29th, 2014 at 01:05 PM.
Fan de Tennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #1505
country flag Fan de Tennis

Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crux Squall View Post

Q. Were you aware that David Beckham was the only person in the Royal Box who saw virtually all of your match? Are you inspired by stars from other sports or whether you learn from them?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I respect so many athletes in different sports. I think we can all really relate to each other’s profession, even though all the sports are quite different in terms of the training. But at the end of the day the commitments and sacrifices in terms of being an athlete are similar.
I always feel like I really understand and actually get star struck more when I’m around athletes that have done incredible things in their career rather than maybe musicians or other professions.
Me too.
Fan de Tennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #1506
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

Just like I feel star-struck when I see accomplished people in my profession. It goes with maturing imo.
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #1507
country flag stegall

stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all

http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/a-s...aria-Sharapova

What is your fitness regime on the road?
My routine varies with my playing schedule but I continue to mix up cardio with core strengthening. Working on small muscular strengthening and small footwork training is important. Keeping the routine new and fresh is also key.

Is there a particular snack food that you like to take on long flights?
Water. I live on Evian water by the case. A small bag of nuts or fresh fruit are also good for long flights.

What is your number one wellness tip for staying healthy on the road?
Sleep. Balance your lifestyle with a healthy diet and get tons of rest. Sleep is essential.

What are your beach essentials?
Sunglasses! Protecting your eyes from the sun is very important. A big beach hat and waterproof Supergoop Sunscreen are a must have in my bag as well.

What spa treatment do you most enjoy?
After time on the road, a massage is always welcome. The environment is important – someplace very quiet surrounded by water, which is tranquil for the soul and peaceful for the mind.

What is your preferred workout activity when in the Riviera Maya?
Because of the gorgeous crystal blue ocean, water activities are my favorite. A day of paddle just flies by.

Is there a day trip that you recommend?
The Mayan ruins are breathtaking. Spending the day touring the grounds and ducking through all of the small doorways is always a fun adventure.

What is your biggest indulgence on vacation?
Relaxing with friends and family. When I’m on the road for work, my schedule doesn’t allow me to sit and spend time with my friends. On holiday, it’s a joy to hang out with friends all day without a care in the world.

Do you have a favorite shopping experience?
The markets are quite unique and such a treasure chest of culture. The silver jewelry is exquisite and the vibrant colors of Mexico are represented beautifully in the dolls and painted pottery.

What’s your favorite Riviera Maya adventure?
Swimming with the dolphins is a favorite adventure. Not only can you swim with them but they’ll also do a couple of tricks!

Describe your favorite cultural experience.
Going into Playa del Carmen to the local market is one of my favorite cultural experiences. I love the vibrant colors of rich reds, brilliant blues, and stunning yellows in all of the pottery. I always pick up a few goodies for my friends when I’m there– the silver jewelry there is such a find.

What’s a Riviera Maya hidden treasure?
The beach! The sand is as soft as powdered sugar and the water is crystal blue – clear as a blue sky. It’s breathtaking.

What is your favorite local dining experience?
Rosewood Mayakoba offers a couple of lovely dining options. My favorite is the Agave Azul Sushi & Tequila restaurant. When you walk up to the restaurant, the wall of tequila is mesmerizing to see as there are bottles in all shapes and sizes. It’s like a wall of art.

What is your favorite early morning activity?
Watching the sun come up over the tranquil water with a lovely hot cup of coffee in hand. I like to watch the beach and ocean come alive with the sun.
stegall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #1508
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

If Maria makes it to the finals....what days will she have played on.....they said a couple days rest, but she said one day of rest....does that mean she will play a match on Monday?
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #1509
country flag stegall

stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all

She's playing Monday.
stegall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1510
country flag buian

More complete version:

LONDON, ENGLAND

M. SHARAPOVA/A. Riske
6/3, 6/0

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Kind of a slight shock at the start, then cruised through the gears, nice relaxing couple of days off. What's your assessment?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it's just one day off, not a couple. But, yeah, I didn't want to get broken in the first game. But she started very solid, served very well. Besides that breakpoint that I lost on my serve, I didn't face another one throughout the match, so I was quite pleased about that.
Yeah, overall I think she can be a dangerous player on grass, this surface, and has proved that before. Even though we played a long time ago, it was a three‑set match. Going into this one I knew that I had to be there.
I thought I did a good job of maintaining my focus until the end.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I respect so many athletes in different sports. I think we can all really relate to each other's profession, even though all the sports are quite different in terms of the training. But at the end of the day the commitments and sacrifices in terms of being an athlete are similar.
I always feel like I really understand and actually get star struck more when I'm around athletes that have done incredible things in their career rather than maybe musicians or other professions.

Q. Would he be someone you'd be star struck by?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I've actually met him a couple times at different events in L.A. and in London. I've met him before.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, he's a great guy. I mean, besides being an incredible football player, he has so much that he's done in his career, having a family, maintaining so many things off the court. Really nice person to chat to.
We're not best buddies or anything, but it's nice to be able to say hello and congratulate each other on achievements we've had in our careers and so on.

Q. Sachin Tendulkar was the other person who came in at the same time as David. Do you know who Sachin is?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't.

Q. How difficult is trying to do the French Open/Wimbledon double?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, this is only my second time trying to do that. Of course, the transition, it's no secret, it's very difficult. But I'm quite happy with the way I've gone about things so far.
You never know what to expect. Each match poses its different challenges. I'm happy I've gone further than last year, erasing those memories and trying to form new ones.

Q. They've installed a gate on Centre Court so that the players can't climb up onto the box when they celebrate. What do you think of that? Do you think that will ruin a Wimbledon tradition?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I heard you can open the gate. Gates usually open also.

Q. So you're not worried?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'll worry about it if it happens. That will be a great problem to have.

Q. You spoke a moment ago about observing other athletes. One of the common dominators of course is rituals and superstitions. What are some of yours, if you had to pick the ones you've had during your career, that stand out the most in your routine?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I think it's more of a routine rather than superstitions. I mean, I've been on the tour for so long. I'm experienced enough to know what works for me in terms of preparation and the way I go about things minutes before the match, hours before, nights before, whether it's spending time with your team or having a chitchat right before with your coach as you go on.
I wouldn't say they're superstitions but more of rituals and routines that I've carried out, yeah, throughout many years.

Q. Are there other ones we could list that we see on the court and what they mean to you?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think I always take a few seconds in between the points and go back and kind of fiddle around with my strings. I think it's always nice when you're in front of thousands of people, whether you're in a good moment or bad moment, to kind of gather your thoughts. That's sort of something I've done for a really long time. I keep doing it, yeah.

Q. When you reel off the number of games today, it looks like you're able to flip on a switch. Mentally is it a case of you saying, Okay, I'm really going to turn it on at this point?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, you kind of have to. On grass things happen much quicker than maybe on other surfaces. You find yourself down a break. She served extremely well in the beginning. Didn't read her serve.
As I started getting more balls back, getting myself back in position, I felt like she had to go for a little bit more on her first serve and had a little more pressure, whereas in the beginning of the set she got a lot of free points. That automatically gives her a lot of confidence when she steps on the line.
Those are the types of things you try to impose on your opponent if you're not feeling that energy, or maybe a step too slow to the ball. It's a few little things that make the big difference in the end.

Q. Did you speak to David Beckham today?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, I have not.

Q. Is there one ultimate sports star you have met who made you star struck or one that you would like to meet?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I randomly met Michael Jordan at a private airport. I don't even know why. I didn't grow up watching so much basketball. I was like, Wow, that's cool.
I don't really know the reason, but I think of all his success on and off the court, it's great to meet someone like that. He recognized me, which is pretty cool I thought back in the day.

Q. Were you jittery meeting him, palms sweating?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I do get quite shy. So, yeah, I might have been.

Q. Do you feel like a jock in the American sense of that?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Very American sense (laughter).
I don't think so. Define 'jock.'

Q. Someone really into their sport, walks around with an aura of that, being someone who dominates others on the playing field, carries that into the rest of life?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm not that type of person, no. I hope not. It sounds awful (laughter).

Q. When you say the little things you have that help you prepare for matches, is there anything specific to Wimbledon that you do when you come here?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, not really. I don't like to categorize each tournament. I like to go about my business as it's any other day.
Just because I'm in London or Paris, playing the French or Wimbledon, I like to keep those routines the same. I think that helps you mentally because it doesn't matter if you're playing a smaller tournament or a Grand Slam, you know what works for you and you try to carry that through.

Q. You've had your shop and the businesses. Do those things help, having extra things to do outside of tennis?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I like working on different projects. I like being involved in things that I'm passionate about. Something that I started a couple years ago to see my own little candy shop in the Village for a few days, it makes me happy, makes me smile. I enjoy seeing my fans for a little bit of time there, see who pops in, how it's doing.
Yeah, it's been great. I've worked on it for the last couple of months and during the French. That was something I was doing once I got back in the hotel room, working on the designs, the layout.
Once I got here, went into an old hairdresser's salon and kind of turned from seeing something that didn't have much inside to forming a little shop is always really fun and creative.

Q. Back to the French Open/Wimbledon double. What are the challenges? It's been quite a while since someone on the women's side has accomplished that feat.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: A Grand Slam stage, when you're playing for two weeks, seven matches within those two weeks, you're always kind of rolling with each round. You're going to the next one.
Once you get to another one, one of the toughest things is you start from scratch, you start from the first match. Mentally that's always, you know, a bit more difficult because you achieve some great success, then you get on the train, come here, and right away the mentality switches that I've got to start from the first round on. You don't get any free points or any byes.
That's always a quick switch that you need to make mentally. Physically you know the physical aspects of the surface, they're much tougher than they were many years ago. That transition has always been quite tough for me.
Every year I try to maybe find a better formula towards my body and what will get me enough rest and enough practice and matches and all that.

Q. Have you changed anything up this year?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No. Actually I usually played maybe an XO match. But this year it was just too much. It was such a quick turnaround, I didn't really have time. I actually came in and played a couple practice matches with some girls. Other than that, not really.

Q. The shop, has it gone as well as you hoped? Am I right in thinking it's kind of a pop‑up thing?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It is.

Q. It's going to vanish?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't like the word 'vanish.' Sounds like something from Harry Potter. I love Harry Potter. It's definitely a pop‑up shop. It's running through Wimbledon. Maybe it will be back next year. Depends on the location that we can get.

Q. Do you credit your top performance lately to being happy in your personal life?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I think it's always nice to have a great balance. What you do on the court and off the court, they're very different. But it's great to have the right balance because ultimately a career only lasts for so many years, especially for a woman. It's definitely nice to feel like you're mentally happy out there when you're on the court.

Q. At the end of week one here, what are the things you're most pleased with in your game as you move into week two?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I'm pleased I'm not out of the tournament like I was last year. I'm pleased that I've gone three good matches in. I feel like I improved with every match.
I started the first one off a little nervous, which was expected. Once I got through that, I feel like I've elevated my game.
I feel like I'm serving better, especially today. I didn't face a breakpoint after the first game. Like I said, it's really the footwork, little things, imposing yourself out there. It can change very quickly on the grass. If you're aware of it, it's much easier.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #1511
country flag Shirapova

Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of

Don't know how many of you know german but if you want me too, I'll translate it.

http://www.bild.de/sport/mehr-sport/...8286.bild.html
Shirapova is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #1512
country flag MaSharp

MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Don't know how many of you know german but if you want me too, I'll translate it.

Would be appreciated. If you have time ofc.

2004 2006 2008 2012 2014

Giorgi | Konjuh
MaSharp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #1513
country flag midaso

midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all

Quote:

LOL Eisenbud is only 42? He looks at least 10 years older...
midaso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #1514
country flag Shirapova

Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of

Quote:
Translated.

The richest sportswoman in the world

Sharapova – A Cinderella story

(1st picture): Little Maria briefly before her 11th birthday at the Nick Bollettieri tennis academy in Florida

She was 17. Like Boris (Becker) back then. And nobody counted on her.

But on that 3rd of July in 2004, a story should’ve started in Wimbledon which was never seen before in the world of tennis. It’s a rags to riches story, a Cinderella story. Of that girl who’s origins are in Gomel near Chernobyl and who’s now the richest sportswoman in the world.

On that 3rd of July, Maria Sharapova wins the most important tennis tournament in the world against the favorite Serena Williams (USA) 6:1 6:4. Her father Juri is crying in the player’s box. He knows: the hard training regime, all the sacrifices, all the money which he invested into his daughter – everything paid off.

(2nd picture: Tennis sensation – Sharapova wins Wimbledon as a 17 year old. She beats US-Star Serena Williams in the final).

This is 10 years ago. But in the memory like it was yesterday. “That final was unreal. I was blinkered. I didn’t let distract me. I was fearless. That win was so inspiring and so unexpected. I almost can’t believe that this was me back then. And that now everything is already ten summers ago”, says Sharapova today.

She went from the young girl with the long blond hair to a worldwide superstar. 5 grand slam tournaments has Sharapova won by now, the last one at the French Open in the beginning of June. She was Number 1 in the world. She won about 30 Mio. $ in prize money. But she’s getting the big cash at the outside of the tennis world. Experts estimate the wealth of the 27 year old at 150 Mio. $.

(3rd picture: 3rd of July in 2004: Maria Sharapova is proudly lifting the Wimbledon trophy. The start of an unbelievable career).

“The Wimbledon triumph in 2004 changed Maria’s and my life”, says Max Eisenbud (42). The American is a guy who’s been tolerated by Sharapova for 15 years. Her manager and midas. “Suddenly”, remembers Eisenbud, “I went from the jerk to the smartest advisor in the world.”

Eisenbud organized students parties in the past und was the manager of an unsuccessful rockband before he came to IMG, the mightiest sportsmarketer in the world.
At the facility of tennis-guru Nick Bollettieri in Floria, he saw a girl who was hitting the ball harder than all the others and who was being harder to herself than all the others. Eisenbud: “She practiced one and a half hours and didn’t drink a sip of water.”

The IMG-Manager recognized the potential of the Russian who came to Florida at the age of 7 with her father Juri.
In the meantime, Max and Maria are the most successful manager-pro-couple in the world. In 2010, Eisenbud signed an eight-year-deal with Nike about 70 Mio. $. Only one of many mega-deals. Sharapova is leading the Forbes-list of the richest sportswoman for ten years now. Her annual earnings are estimated at 27,3 Mio. $.

Sharapova: “Max is half agent, half family”. They are writing each other up to 75 mails per day. “He always knows where I am, knows my schedule. We are very open and honest to each other”, says the tennis beauty.

Eisenbud also had the idea of “Sugarpova”. The sugar-sweet fruit gummies are the first own business of the tennis-millionaire and they are selling like crazy. Sharapova even wanted to change her name into Sugarpova. An advertising stunt of course.

Is there a secret of success? Eisenbud: “Her ability to say “no” is unbelievable”. They rejected a lot of offers after her Wimbledon triumph. They were waiting for the big fishes. And they hooked. “We didn’t want Maria ending up like Anna Kournikova.” Kournikova – synonym of glint, glamor and athletic failure.

(4th picture: Beautiful and mysterious: Sharapova earns 27,3 Mio $ a year – mostly via advertising.)

Who thinks there’s an army of experts behind Sharapova, is wrong. There are only a few people who are sitting in her player’s box. Most of her friends aren’t anywhere near tennis. Her boyfriend is. The Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov (23) is seen as one of the rising stars on the mens tour.

Sharapova will not be able to affiliate to the icons Graf, Navratiolva, Evert or Williams in her career. But in the money-ranking-list, she will be on top for years to come. Even when her jack-hammer-loud grunt already will be gone.

Eisenbud: “Sugarpova will be a big business for her after her career. She also keeps herself busy with cosmetics, parfume and fashion – all that is still the beginning for her.”

Business keeps thriving for the Russian.
Shirapova is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #1515
country flag MaSharp

MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Translated.
Thank you very much.

2004 2006 2008 2012 2014

Giorgi | Konjuh
MaSharp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote