What would you rather Maria acheive; 2016 Olympic gold medal or 7 slams? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What would you rather Maria achieve?

Olympic gold medal 5 27.78%
7 slams 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 16th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #1
country flag Strawberried4t55

Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice
What would you rather Maria acheive; 2016 Olympic gold medal or 7 slams?

If, just for a example, you had two choose between Maria never winning a slam again but winning the Olympic gold medal in 2016 to give her a career golden slam which only Serena and Steffi Graf have done, or 2 more slams to tie her with Henin and Venus?
I would go for 7 slams, career golden slam would be amazing but slam count is what defines your greatness.
Roland Garros 2012 CHAMPION
Roland Garros 2014 CHAMPION
Strawberried4t55 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 16th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #2
country flag Shirapova

Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold
Re: What would you rather Maria acheive; 2016 Olympic gold medal or 7 slams?

7 slams definetely. As you said tennis players are measured by their Slam-wins. If they never win a gold medal - no one cares. If they win a gold medal but never a slam - no one cares about the medal. Same with the no1 rank, but no1 is better than gold. No one cares about No1s without slams. The first thing everyone asks about a (former) tennis player is how many and what slams did they win? Greatness is judged by that number. The gold medal is a nice addition and makes her even greater, but is nothing without the slams. Anyway I'm sure she can achieve both.

"Nur wer sich selbst das letzte an Leistung abverlangt, wird über den Durchschnitt hinauskommen."
Shirapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #3
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP had asked 1 more slam vs the Olympic gold I would have chosen the Olympic gold. Two slams for one Olympic gold is a bit too much of a difference though. In that case I go for the two slams.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #4
country flag aknox

aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future

Gooold. Once you've got a few slams under your belt, especially a full house, Olympic gold becomes more important
Originally Posted by ivanxie View Post
Moonball her to death!

Pojd! Ajde! Allez up your...! Vamos?!.......
aknox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #5
country flag wehan6

wehan6 is a glorious beacon of light wehan6 is a glorious beacon of light wehan6 is a glorious beacon of light wehan6 is a glorious beacon of light wehan6 is a glorious beacon of light wehan6 is a glorious beacon of light wehan6 is a glorious beacon of light wehan6 is a glorious beacon of light wehan6 is a glorious beacon of light wehan6 is a glorious beacon of light wehan6 is a glorious beacon of light

7 Slams.Gold would be amazing,but she already has silver so...
2014 French Open
2004 Wimbledon
2006 US Open

Joan Rivers 1933-2014 R.I.P
wehan6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #6
country flag aknox

aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future aknox has a brilliant future

Many players have 7 or more slam. A career golden slam is more unique. And better to be grouped w/ Steffi and Serena than Henin and Venus
Originally Posted by ivanxie View Post
Moonball her to death!

Pojd! Ajde! Allez up your...! Vamos?!.......
aknox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #7
country flag jacobruiz
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknox View Post
Many players have 7 or more slam. A career golden slam is more unique. And better to be grouped w/ Steffi and Serena than Henin and Venus

If Maria had 7 slams, she would be better than Justine or Venus, imo. Neither one has a career Grand Slam, which is better than a gold medal.

AT LONG LAST!!!! The DEMOCRATS BACK IN POWER!!!
OH, SAY DOES THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER YET WAVE........ YES!!! YES!!!! YEESSSS!!!!! Don't waver, Mr. President - the people voted for you AND your agenda!!
Missouri State Fair - yet another reason to ban rodeos
jacobruiz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #8
country flag josejaviergud

josejaviergud has much to be proud of josejaviergud has much to be proud of josejaviergud has much to be proud of josejaviergud has much to be proud of josejaviergud has much to be proud of josejaviergud has much to be proud of josejaviergud has much to be proud of josejaviergud has much to be proud of josejaviergud has much to be proud of josejaviergud has much to be proud of josejaviergud has much to be proud of

gold medal

https://twitter.com/josejaviergud
josejaviergud is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #9
country flag Fan de Tennis

Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold

It's not a fair question
I want Maria to win more Slams but I so want her to have this Gold medal around her neck too.
What to choose ? Both
Fan de Tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #10
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, I would be extremely happy with either.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #11
country flag NadalSharapova

NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all

7 slams

2 slams > 1 gold
NadalSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #12
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute
Everyone knows Olympic gold is the best.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #13
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

im ok with 1 more french open and the gold. i'll die peacefully then.

i still believe she can win the gold and get to 7+ SLAMS. she is still just 27 years old after all.
malarkist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #14
Rogue.

Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold

2 slams for sure. The gold would be lovely and everything, but it just doesn't hold the same weight (to me) as a slam. Plus 7 would tie her with Venus and Henin and that would be just awesome.

MS.VW.PK.GM.NV.
Rogue. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote