Hard Courts American Style: Sam's happy hunting ground - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 16th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #1
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Hard Courts American Style: Sam's happy hunting ground

Last time a thread was created for the US hard court season great things happened, so I figured it was a good time to start a fresh thread again. I have a good feeling about this season

Things are already looking up: Sharapova has pulled out of Stanford (sorry Huntress, but it's apparently nothing serious, otherwise I would try to appear not quite so happy). The field looks pretty weak, and barring at least 2 higher ranked WCs Sam should have a top 4 seeding. A great opportunity to get things off to a good start.

Go Sammy!
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 16th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #2
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold
Re: Hard Courts American Style: Sam's happy hunting ground

Pls pls pls Sam bring back 2011 vintage hard court form and get this ranking mess sorted out! I can feel a good few weeks ahead. I am so in need of some good tennis viewing at the moment.
Ado. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #3

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

At this point the seeding in Stanford will be as follows:

1. Agnieszka Radwanska
2. Marion Bartoli
3. Samantha Stosur
4. Dominika Cibulkova
5. Jamie Hampton
6. Sorana Cirstea
7. Varvara Lepchenko
8. Urszula Radwanska

Unseeded players:

Hantuchova
McHale
Paszek
Goerges
Wickmayer
Schiavone
Rybarikova
Niculescu
Morita
Voegele
Keys
Bertens

As top 4 seed, Sam will get a R1 bye. Not always a good thing, but she'd be unlucky to draw a R2 opponent who she can't handle. And I'm assuming she's had her portion of bad luck for this year. Once she gets a match under her belt I would give her a very good chance against anyone in the draw. Aga and Marion would obviously be tough, but she doesn't have to worry about them before the SF.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Let's all now watch as:
a) Sam draws Goerges in R2
b) After months of headcasery and bad results, Julia mysteriously returns to GOAT form, which ...
c) mysteriously disappears the next day, when she loses to Morita

Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #5
country flag sunsets21

sunsets21 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
Let's all now watch as:
a) Sam draws Goerges in R2
b) After months of headcasery and bad results, Julia mysteriously returns to GOAT form, which ...
c) mysteriously disappears the next day, when she loses to Morita

That sounds about right
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #6

Guys, I'm trying to get away from being so pessimistic about Sam's chances

Old Jul 16th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #7
country flag sunsets21

I'll be optimistic and say that Sam could just draw Schiavone in the 2nd round...FO2010 final Schiavone, of course

(The more pessimistic we are here, the likelier it is that it's going to be a good draw, right? That's how reverse jinxes work, right? Right?!)
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #8
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsets21 View Post
I'll be optimistic and say that Sam could just draw Schiavone in the 2nd round...FO2010 final Schiavone, of course

(The more pessimistic we are here, the likelier it is that it's going to be a good draw, right? That's how reverse jinxes work, right? Right?!)

Yes that is how reverse jinxes work; except the bracketed section of your post will have alerted the tennis deities of our wicked plan, thereby counter-jinxing our reverse jinx
SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsets21 View Post

This is what I have been doing wrong all along. I've lost count of the number of times I have said "Sam will be fine as long as she doesn't draw X", and of course, she draws X every single time

So here goes: Sam will draw FO'10 Fran, followed by AO'12 Sori, followed by Wimbledon Marion, followed by Serena, who is so excited about her first MM win that she charters a private jet to take her directly from Bastad to Stanford, where she reaches the final without bothering to wash the clay out of her socks.

(And I really mean that) (also that last bracketed bit) (and that bit as well) (well, you get the picture)

Last edited by stromatolite : Jul 17th, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #10
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

You know with all this reverse jinx/super jinx reversal (I have no idea how to word it really) we will be laughing/crying when some GOAT playing scrub outside the top 100 knocks her off with Sam having a positive W/UE. I don't know what I will do if that happens
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adomoose View Post
You know with all this reverse jinx/super jinx reversal (I have no idea how to word it really) we will be laughing/crying when some GOAT playing scrub outside the top 100 knocks her off with Sam having a positive W/UE. I don't know what I will do if that happens
This has been such a miserable year for Sam that we've hardly noticed that she has more or less stopped getting beaten by such lower ranked players. If you discount her retirement against Bouchard in Charleston, Sam's worst losses of the year rankingswise were the three in Australia, against players ranked 41, 42 and 40. Since then she hasn't lost to anyone outside the top 30. At the same stage last year she had chalked up losses against players ranked 54, 59, 105, 63, 262 and 72.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #12
country flag Ado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
This has been such a miserable year for Sam that we've hardly noticed that she has more or less stopped getting beaten by such lower ranked players. If you discount her retirement against Bouchard in Charleston, Sam's worst losses of the year rankingswise were the three in Australia, against players ranked 41, 42 and 40. Since then she hasn't lost to anyone outside the top 30. At the same stage last year she had chalked up losses against players ranked 54, 59, 105, 63, 262 and 72.
Did you just jinx her now?
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #13
country flag sunsets21

Oh dear. Adomoose, your prediction may actually come true now
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #14

Sorry guys, I just can't do this whole reverse jinx thing, just don' t have the discipline for it. Tbh, I'm not even 100% sure it even works. I am at least prepared to accept the possibility that there may be other factors affecting Sam's results other than our neurotic ramblings
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #15
country flag Ado.

Ok I am going to put it out there now without a jinx. Sam will win a tourney by year end and reach another final!