The Margaret Osborne Dupont thread - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #16
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Margaret Osborne Dupont thread

Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #17
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #18
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #19
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #20
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #21
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #22
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #23
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Summary:

Singles

Won 2* of 5 events. *(1 of the two titles shared due to rain)
Match record: 22-3

-----------------------------------------------------

June 11-12 Wightman Cup, Wimbledon (Grass)
Venue: Court 1 at Wimbledon.

United States d. Great Britain 6-1.

June 11 (Day 1)
d. Jean Bostock 6-4 8-6

June 12 (Day 2)

d. Betty Hilton 6-3 6-4.
Louise Brough/Margaret DuPont (US) d. Betty Hilton/Kay Menzies 6-2 6-2.

British hopes are raised this year as they win a match (the first since 1939!) and Bostock pushes Brough on the second day. In fact Jean leads 5-4 in the third before running out of gas. 4,000 come out on day 1 and 5,000 on day 2.

-----

June 14-19 London Grass Court Chmpioships , London, England, UK (Grass)
Venue: Queen's Club

1R: d Betty Coutts 5-1 retired
2R: d Gem Hoahing 8-6 6-3
3R: d Barbara Scofield 7-5 6-2
QF: d Gloria Butler 6-1 6-1
SF: d. Pat Todd 2-6 6-2 6-0

FI: Divided title with Doris Hart due to rain.

Doubles with Louise Brough

SF: d Rita Anderson/Jean Quertier 6-0 6-3
FI: divided title due to rain with Shirley Fry/Mary Prentiss

-----

June 21-July 2 The Championships (Wimbledon), London, England, UK (Grass)
Venue: The All England Tennis Club at Wimbledon.

1R: bye
2R: d Valerie Cooper 6-3 6-0
3R: Trudy Blaise-Terwindt 6-2 6-2
4R: d Peggy Dawson-Scott 6-2 6-2
QF: d Jean Bostock [5] 7-5 6-3
SF: lost to Doris Hart [4] 4-6 6-2 3-6

Doubles with Louise Brough [#1 seeds]

2R: d Joyce Coles/Kay Tuckey 6-0 6-2
3R: d. Mary Muller/Sheila Summers 6-2 6-4
QF: d. Colette Boegner/Nelly Landry 6-0 6-1
SF: d. Helen Rihbany/Barbara Scofield 7-5 6-0
FI: d. Doris Hart/Pat Todd [2] 6-1 6-1

Mixed Doubles with Tom Brown [#! or #2 seeds]

1R: Bye
2R: d Kay Tuckey/David Mockridge 6-0 6-1
3R: d Mary Fitzgibbon/Guy Jackson 6-4 6-4
4R: d Helen Rihbany/Heraldo Weiss 6-2 6-3
QF: d. Jean Bostock/Tony Mottram 4-6 6-4 6-3
SF: lost to Doris Hart/Frank Sedgman 4-6 6-3 3-6

-----

August 2-8 Maidstone Invitational East Hampton, NY, US (Grass)
Venue: Maidstone Country Club

2R: d Nancy Chaffee 1-6 6-3 6-2
QF: d Kovacs 4-6 6-0 6-2
SF: d Virginia Magda Rurac 6-1 6-0
FI: lost to Louise Brough 5-7 6-3 3-6

QF: d Eleanor Cushingham/Louise Isaacs 6-3 6-0
SF: d Dottie Head/Magda Rurac 6-2 6-0
FI: d. Doris Hart/Pat Todd 6-2 6-4

Heavy rain through the week set the schedule back.

-----

August 7-14 Eastern Grass Court Chmpionships, Orange, NJ US.

Singles [#2 seed]

1R: bye ????
2R: d Helen Germaine 6-1 6-1
3R d Midge Buck 6-2 6-0
QF: d. Joy Gannon 6-2 6-4
SF: d. Pat Todd [4] 6-4 6-4
FI: lost to Louise Brough [1] 3-6 6-8

1R: d Eleanor Cushingham/Louise Isaacs 6-1 6-0
QF: d. Marta Barnett/Baba Lewis 6-1 6-4
SF: d. Virginia Johnson/Bunny Vosters 6-0 6-3
FI: d. Doris Hart/PatTodd 6-2 4-6 6-4

3,000 on hand for the finals.

-----

August 23-28 US National Doubles , Brookline, Massachuesetts (Grass)
Venue: Longwood Cricket Club

1R: d F Foorance/Mrs John Prizer 6-0 6-0
2R: d Dottie Head/Nancy Morrison 6-1 6-0
QF: d Dodo Cheney/Betty Rosenquest 9-7 6-0
SF: d. Shirley Fry/Sheila Summers 6-2 7-5
FI: d. Doris Hart/Pat Todd 6-4 8-10 6-1

The unstoppable Brough and du Pont "harpoon their 7th straight US doubles to the surprise of no one".
-----

ends September 20 United States National Championships, New York City, New York, US
Venue: West Side Tennis Club at Forest Hills

Singles [#3 seed]

1R: d. Nina Irwin 6-2 6-3
2R: d Midge Buck 6-1 6-2
3R: d Argyll Rice 6-2 6-0
QF: d Beverly Baker [6] 1-6 6-2 6-0
SF: d Gussie Moran [7] 10-8 6-4
FI: d Louise Brough [1] 4-6 6-4 15-13

Mixed Doubles with Bill Talbert

2R: P Stuhler/H van Renseelaer/ P Stuhler 6-1 6-2
3R: d. Lois Felix/T Backe 6-2 6-2
QF: D Betty Rosenquest/S Schwartz 6-0 0-6 6-3
SF: d Gussie Moran/bob Falkenburg 27-25 5-7 5-1
FI: lost to Louise Brough/Tom Brown 4-6 4-6

Margaret was beset by tragedy before her semifinal match when the referee informed her that her father had died in an auto accident in California. Margaret decided to play on, supported by her husband watching in the stands.

The final was marked by erratic play from start to finish, but was epic in it's length and closeness. The women started in the early afternoon only to have rain twice interrupt the match. The second downpour caught everyone by surprise, drenching the 11,000 fans. Most had come to see the men's final, and in the long third set they showed their impatience with the women.

For 26 games in the third set the women held service until Mrs. du Pont got the vital break. At 5-6 and match point down Margaret was saved when Louise put a serve into the net.

The entire match had only 3 breaks of serve. "Neither played at her best. although both rose to brilliant height at the net, particularly in their smashing, and the inablilty to return serve resulted in a steady stream of errors."

The end was greeted with a large round of applause. At 48 games it remains the longest 3 set women's final in US open history, second only to the 5 set final of 1898. After this match Brough led their head to head encounters by 16 to 14.

It was a great effort considering all the women had to put up with. Margaret had just lost her father, the rain had both on edge, and finally some of the officials and crowd were rude. After the second rain delay Brough had to wait while her wet dress was ironed dry. When the rain stopped Louise recalled that "we couldn't go on because I didn't have my dress. They blamed Margaret and me, and it wasn't Margaret's fault at all. It was a tense situation because I was waiting there for my dress and worrying they were going to default me. They were so mad."

To top it off a few in the crowd shouted "Bring on the men, Bring on the men!."

After the women's final they got what they waited for. The men's final was a dissapointing and short straight sets affair that ended as the sun set.

The semifinal of the mixed saw the longest set of Margaret's career-27-25.

-----

Septemer 25-October 3 Pacific Southwest Chmps, Los Angeles, California, US (Hard)

SF: d Dodo Cheney/Gracyn Kelleher 6-1 6-3
FI: d Nelly Landry/Sheila Summers 6-1 6-2

Margaret entered the doubles only.

-----

October 2-10 US National Hard Court Champs, San Francisco. (Hard)
*The Oakland Tribune has the event starting on Oct 5.

SF: d Margaret Warren/Wilma Smith 6-2 6-2
FI: d. Virginia Kovacs/Sheila Summers 6-3 6-3

Mixed Doubles with Tom Brown

SF:d Shirley Butterfield /Conway Catton 6-4 6-2
FI: divided title with Gussy Moran/Vic Seixas leading 9-7 when match abandoned.

Also the 59th Pacific Coast event, which was awarded the first US Hard Court title due to it's long history. Brough/Dupont in dubs only. They go undefeated as a pair this year-indeed they have only lost 4 matches together up to now!

Last edited by Rollo : Oct 31st, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #24
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #25
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #26
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #27
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #28
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #29
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #30
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP