*Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4. - Page 286 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #4276
country flag Exordes

Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Ir has been quite messy season. Let's not forget that Vika won in Australian Open, Doha and Cincinnati, and she was a finalist in US Open, Rome and Carlsbad, and a semifinalist in Roland Garros. Unfortenately injuries forced her to skip Dubai, most of Indian Wells, Miami and Monterrey. Then Madrid and later Carlsbad after the injury in Wimbledon were sort of comeback tournaments for her. The end of the season after US Open has been very hard times for Vika. Basically she lost 5 of 6 last matches for various reasons.

Hopefully she will fully recover mentally and physically for the 2014 season, and find her trademark consistency again. Comparing to some of her rivals, Maria Sharapova is a big questionmark with her injury problems, and Agnieszka Radwanska surely waited the end of season as much as Vika did. Serena Williams seems to be a league of her own at the moment, but Vika is still world #2.
Exordes is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #4277
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
It's not very often I am critical of Vika, but I am going to be of critical of this.

There is nothing brave, smart, good about playing on. Nobody gains anything. The only reason she's done this is for PR reasons, and it's obvious to see (this is her PR company):

B1PR ‏@b1pr 7m
If she retires she is critiqued and if she stays playing injured she is too. What's the best thing according to you? I admire her effort!

But sorry there is nothing good about this. I have responded to the above tweet criticising them. You don't gain any good PR for finishing the match, you don't gain anything, in 3 months this just reads in the record books as 6-2, 6-1 loss.

And this is why I am so critical of people always just calling for players to play on or play saying the fans want to see matches. Exactly the fans want to see matches, this isn't a match, this is just a waste of everybody's time. As a fan I would rather Kvitova vs Kerber began about 30 minutes ago.

Stop listening to the media Vika, and listen to yourself!
Agree with this. I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #4278
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
I honestly doubt she ever lost motivation. That was just a lie for the opposition/public. Imho she has had a lingering injury problem ever since that Wimbledon fall. There might have been no visible damage like on an MRI, but maybe some heavy bone bruising or something.
I'm starting to fear this too. An injury would explain all of this, from the poor play over the summer to the weird excuses in the fall.

It just makes no sense though. If there's one player that's always prioritized getting healthy over playing in the short term it's Vika. Withdrawing from Wimbledon when she had a great chance to win is an example of that. The signs do point to an injury, and this whole phase seems rather similar to Ma$ha's behavior with her shoulder, but I just don't understand why she would do this, so I'm kind of refusing to believe it .
iGOAT is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #4279
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think continuing at Wimbledon was even a theoretical option tbh, the injury looked too severe.

My Tennis Photo Database
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #4280
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Douglas Robson ‏@dougrobson
Azarenka's coach Sam Sumyk says he's "satisfied" with Azarenka finishing despite injury but says it was no-win situation. #WTAChamps
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #4281
country flag garwe

garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of

What was the injury about? Not sure i feel like watching the match now. (Was at work).
garwe is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #4282
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by garwe View Post
What was the injury about? Not sure i feel like watching the match now. (Was at work).
At the end of a rally she kinda touched her lower back and looked like she was a little bit hurt and then immediately after she hit the next serve she looked in real pain and wasn't able to continue play so she got a MTO during her service game. She then seemed to be in pain throughout the rest of the match getting lots of treatments for her lower left back. She basically couldn't bend over, serve, run or sit without feeling pain.
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #4283
country flag garwe

garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Joe View Post
At the end of a rally she kinda touched her lower back and looked like she was a little bit hurt and then immediately after she hit the next serve she looked in real pain and wasn't able to continue play so she got a MTO during her service game. She then seemed to be in pain throughout the rest of the match getting lots of treatments for her lower left back. She basically couldn't bend over, serve, run or sit without feeling pain.
Thanks.

Oh sounds bad . I think she is irretated that she got all these retirements in the past, and she tries to soldier on. But no good will come out of matches like this (or playing ill against Venus).

Well, now just hope it is something that dissapears soon, because after some rest i think some smart off season training is what can help her to avoid injuries next year.
garwe is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #4284
country flag Natural Joe

Neil Harman ‏@NeilHarmanTimes
Takes an age for Azarenka to climb stairs to press conference seat and rise from it again. "I wanted to try my best for the fans," she said

Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg
Azarenka said decided not to retire because of fans, for Li Na, and to prevent "discussion." Clearly sensitive topic for her. #WTAChamps

Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters
Among reasons as 2 why kept playing, Azarenka says cause there would be a "discussion" about why she retired. 'Could be criticized or not'

Beyond The Baseline ‏@SI_BTBaseline
Azarenka initially said the discussion of her retirement history played into decision to continue. Then backtracked, said she doesn't care.

Azarenka also said she never thought of retiring, out of respect for fans and opponent.

Azareranka's direct quote on no retire from match: 'Because there is no win situation here retiring and [the retirement] being discussed'

Then I asked Vika if thought would be criticism if she retired:'There could be, could not be.Don't know. Not like it never happened before'

Last edited by Natural Joe : Oct 25th, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #4285
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

I also don't understand the whole "respect for the opponent" aspect of retiring. Okay, Christine in the AO final was outright disrespectful, but for example in this situation I don't think NaNa would've complained in the slightest about getting an extra set in a half of rest today before the semifinals.
iGOAT is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #4286
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

^ I guess some players feel they wanna finish the match injury or not to give their opponent the respect kinda like how Caro did at Brisbane against Aga in 2012 when she got an wrist injury plus she will give the fans a match since they paid too see them & I guess she feel since it the end of the year why not finish the match off sine there no other events after this one but still playin on an injury can be bad some that is worrisome

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #4287
country flag Natural Joe

Russell Fuller ‏@russellcfuller
Azarenka hinted she was worried about the "discussion" which might follow another withdrawal. Good news is she reports 'no structural damage

Good news indeed, although I'm surprised how quickly they found that out.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #4288
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Joe View Post
Neil Harman ‏@NeilHarmanTimes
Takes an age for Azarenka to climb stairs to press conference seat and rise from it again. "I wanted to try my best for the fans," she said

Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg
Azarenka said decided not to retire because of fans, for Li Na, and to prevent "discussion." Clearly sensitive topic for her. #WTAChamps

Among reasons as 2 why kept playing, Azarenka says cause there would be a "discussion" about why she retired. 'Could be criticized or not'

Azarenka initially said the discussion of her retirement history played into decision to continue. Then backtracked, said she doesn't care.

Azarenka also said she never thought of retiring, out of respect for fans and opponent.

Azareranka's direct quote on no retire from match: 'Because there is no win situation here retiring and [the retirement] being discussed'

Then I asked Vika if thought would be criticism if she retired:'There could be, could not be.Don't know. Not like it never happened before'
What now Cronin is trying to play nicey nice? Fuck that asshole. I know he´ll read, so let me put it in Fuck that asshole.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #4289
country flag Natural Joe

Quote:
ISTANBUL, Turkey—Victoria Azarenka admits that one of the reasons she continued to play her final round-robin match against Li Na at the WTA Championships even though her backed locked up in the first set is because she was concerned about the reaction to a retirement. Azarenka lost the match 6-2, 6-1 and was knocked out of the WTA Championships.

Since 2007, Azarenka has retired or withdrawn from singles matches on 27 different occasions.

“There are a few reasons why,” said the world No. 2, who sustained a back injury when she came down hard on a serve in the sixth game of the match. "Because there is no‑win situation here retiring, and it being all discussed, and the other thing is just try to do the best. I don't have a tournament next week. The physio told me, ‘You're really locked. There is no really structure damage, but you can't fix it that quickly.’ The most important, I just wanted to try to do my best for the fans who came and, you know, watched our match, for respect for my opponent. It was just about trying to do the most you can out there.”

Azarenka added that she wasn't sure if she would be criticized if she retired.

“There could be; there could not be. I don't know. It's not like it never happened before.”

The 24-year-old, who has only won one match since falling to Serena Williams in the U.S. Open final, described what was going through her head while on court after the injury.

“I was thinking, how can I stay here, and what can I do to just not feel pain for one more second?” she said. “You know, sometimes when I had to get off the chair, it was really challenging. So I was thinking about position, how can I better get up with less pain. Then you try to see the ball, and you try to still have a little bit of game plan, so it's a big mess of emotions that just your mind goes through.”
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.Umqy15WgfSg
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4290
country flag Natural Joe

Victoria Azarenka receives the Diamond ACES award for the second straight year. #wtachamps

Closed Thread