*Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4. - Page 184 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #2746
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_Biscan View Post
Yes, I'd say it's been a good season, very similar level overall to last. In terms of her game, I think she's successfully playing more aggressively, particularly after australia, while her defence isn't as good. She still has the problems with the second serve that developed through last year.

Looking forward to wimbledon now, she was very very good last year, second only to Serena. I hope it rains so we can see some more flawless tennis under the roof
Speaking of second serve problems, she's currently the worst top ten player when it comes to 2nd serve points won. http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....7&postcount=15

Although I have the impression that her second serve isn't all that bad when she's playing against the top players but it would save her (and us ) some nerves if she had a proper second serve against lower ranked players as well.
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 17th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #2747
country flag Igor_Biscan

Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future
Yeah you're right she doesnt df much against top players. Only Madrid final last year from memory,

I was surprised by that stat. Worse than kerber, radwanska or errani whose second serves are so slow theyre almost going backwards. I guess it includes double faults as points lost on second serve and is a bit skewed by vika playing a higher proportion of matches on clay due to her injury. Still it shows up the second serve as the major thing to work on (the first serve is holding up okay).
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #2748
country flag Exordes

Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchplay View Post
the grass at eastbourne plays so differently from the one at wimbledon though. plus there's the wind factor too. the only similarities in the surface are the low bounce, cause wimbledon is quite slow nowadays. watch the 2007 final between henin, justine and mauresmo, amelie
Surely the Eastbourne tournament gives some indications about the current form of certain players. Who are hot and who are not. For instance Ana Ivanovic lost her first round match to Elena Vesnina today. Let's say if players like Petra Kvitova, Tamira Paszek or Laura Robson play a good and consistent tournament in Eastbourne, they might make some progress in Wimbledon too.
Exordes is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #2749
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exordes View Post
Surely the Eastbourne tournament gives some indications about the current form of certain players. Who are hot and who are not. For instance Ana Ivanovic lost her first round match to Elena Vesnina today. Let's say if players like Petra Kvitova, Tamira Paszek or Laura Robson play a good and consistent tournament in Eastbourne, they might make some progress in Wimbledon too.
It doesn't give you much of an indication when the top 3 favourites aren't even playing though. Paszek and Robson are pretty much complete non-factors. I don't think anyone has won Eastbourne and then won Wimbledon since the days of Navratilova.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #2750
country flag Exordes

Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
It doesn't give you much of an indication when the top 3 favourites aren't even playing though. Paszek and Robson are pretty much complete non-factors. I don't think anyone has won Eastbourne and then won Wimbledon since the days of Navratilova.
For Tamira Paszek and many other players a quarterfinal in Wimbledon would be a very good achievement, I don't expect her to win the Grand Slam title.
Exordes is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #2751
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Joe View Post
Speaking of second serve problems, she's currently the worst top ten player when it comes to 2nd serve points won. http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....7&postcount=15

Although I have the impression that her second serve isn't all that bad when she's playing against the top players but it would save her (and us ) some nerves if she had a proper second serve against lower ranked players as well.
That is pretty bad lol, half those players above her have a poor 2nd serve as well, tells you all you need to know about Vika's 2nd serve. The stats are slightly skewed though, because they reflect on the level of opposition you've been playing. Vika's level of opposition will be among the highest on tour because she's only played top events.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #2752
country flag Igor_Biscan

Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future
Vika's the only one who doesn't have to face her own returns though

I'm interested to see how Petra goes at eastbourne. Whether she shows signs of life on the grass.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #2753
country flag ozza

Quote:
Vika's the only one who doesn't have to face her own returns though

I'm interested to see how Petra goes at eastbourne. Whether she shows signs of life on the grass.
I should open a thread with the return stats .

Return Games Won
Victoria Azarenka 57.1%
Serena Williams 52.8%
Sara Errani 51.4%
Na Li 48.8%
Maria Sharapova 48.7%
Agnieszka Radwanska 45.8%
Caroline Wozniacki 43.7%
Angelique Kerber 41.6%
Maria Kirilenko 38.7%
Petra Kvitova 38.5%
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #2754
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I should open a thread with the return stats .

Return Games Won
Victoria Azarenka 57.1%
Serena Williams 52.8%
Sara Errani 51.4%
Na Li 48.8%
Maria Sharapova 48.7%
Agnieszka Radwanska 45.8%
Caroline Wozniacki 43.7%
Angelique Kerber 41.6%
Maria Kirilenko 38.7%
Petra Kvitova 38.5%
And let's not forget:

2nd Serve Return Points Won
Victoria Azarenka 66,6%
Sara Errani 62,5%
Serena Williams 61,4%
Maria Sharapova 59,6%
Agnieszka Radwanska 58,4%
Na Li 58,1%
Caroline Wozniacki 58,1%
Petra Kvitova 57,8%
Angelique Kerber 57,6%
Maria Kirilenko 56,8%

(Also she's the second best top 10 player behind Serena and third best overall in 1st serve return points won)
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #2755
country flag Igor_Biscan

I'm curious who the non top 10 player is in 2nd. Jankovic?
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #2756
country flag ozza

Quote:
You want the best player outside top 10 on 2nd serve or 2nd serve return?

2nd serve points won. Donna Vekic is 54.7% which incidentally is the best of anyone on tour.

2nd serve return points won. Annika Beck is 60.2% which is 4th best of anyone on tour.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #2757
country flag Natural Joe

Quote:
Do you mean 1st serve return points won? That would be Niculescu.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #2758
country flag Igor_Biscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Joe View Post
Do you mean 1st serve return points won? That would be Niculescu.
Yes that's what I meant.

Funny stat about Vekic though, I guess skewed by small sample size.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2759
country flag ozza

Sorry I misunderstood. If you want to see the top 10 in every category on tour go here: http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-A...stats_2013.pdf.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2760
country flag Igor_Biscan

Thanks. Vika has a pretty sizeable gap to second place on 2nd serve returning and return games won.

Also notable that she's played more than 10 matches less than her rivals. We should expect a strong 2nd half of the season.