"Serena will be a better tennis player than Venus" - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 21st, 2012, 09:32 PM   #1
country flag Sweety Darling

Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of
Question "Serena will be a better tennis player than Venus"

"Serena will be a better tennis player than Venus"....those were Richards words all those years ago - I wonder if this actually turned out to be true because Serena's self-confidence was boosted over her sisters by his comments and thoughts. I'm not saying that he was deliberately favouring one child over another - but it's interesting the paths their careers took when looking back at what Richard was saying back then. Also, it was interesting how Serena said 'I want to be most like me' when asked which tennis player she would most like to be like, whilst Venus didn't answer. Do you think that Richards attitude negatively influenced Venus' career?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9gUo2o0494

ps. did anyone else think Richard looked quite hot in those shorts?
Sweety Darling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 21st, 2012, 09:36 PM   #2
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Serena will be a better tennis player than Venus"

the way the commentator pronounces 'ghetto'
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 09:47 PM   #3
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweety Darling View Post
"Serena will be a better tennis player than Venus"....those were Richards words all those years ago - I wonder if this actually turned out to be true because Serena's self-confidence was boosted over her sisters by his comments and thoughts. I'm not saying that he was deliberately favouring one child over another - but it's interesting the paths their careers took when looking back at what Richard was saying back then. Also, it was interesting how Serena said 'I want to be most like me' when asked which tennis player she would most like to be like, whilst Venus didn't answer. Do you think that Richards attitude negatively influenced Venus' career?

Thanks for this.....I rememberRichard saying Serena would be the better player because she has better angles than Venus, but everyone always said it was because she was meaner.....
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM   #4
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

I remember Sue Barker (I think) telling a story about Venus (fresh off of some impressive success herself) introducing Serena as her 'little sister who's going to be even better than I am'.
KeysisGOAT is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 09:54 PM   #5
country flag Sweety Darling

Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhousesupporter View Post
Thanks for this.....I rememberRichard saying Serena would be the better player because she has better angles than Venus, but everyone always said it was because she was meaner.....
This is true, and I tend to agree. But my thinking is this might have been confused with higher self-esteem, when compared to Venus anyway. They are both great champions, I'm just interested in the psychology of early parental comments and actions on the development of players, and I think this shows quite well how it can impact in a both good and not so good way.
Sweety Darling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 10:28 PM   #6
country flag Destiny

Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute

did richard bring the crip memebers into the players box then?

TWITTER NAME : https://twitter.com/Mozzawalks
Destiny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 11:04 PM   #7
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

He raised he knew them the best.

That being said at some point Venus had 4 slams, Serena 1, and Serena a consistent choker and Venus a big match player in 2001- early 2002 when Venus climb to the top of the rankings.

If you ask me when i saw Serena Australian Open 1998, beating Irina Spirlea in R1, i always thought Serena was the better shotmaker, hence a better player, tecnically than Venus.
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 11:33 PM   #8
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

How could she not be? She had the best tutor in her father and the ultimate incentive to be the best with her sister being such a champion. These are powerful motivational factors.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 11:47 PM   #9
country flag atennisfanid

atennisfanid is a name known to all atennisfanid is a name known to all atennisfanid is a name known to all atennisfanid is a name known to all atennisfanid is a name known to all atennisfanid is a name known to all atennisfanid is a name known to all atennisfanid is a name known to all atennisfanid is a name known to all atennisfanid is a name known to all atennisfanid is a name known to all

Quote:
"Serena will be a better tennis player than Venus"....those were Richards words all those years ago - :
I remember this very vividly.
Well, Richard is the parent, so obviously he knew what he was talking about.
Although when he said that, Venus had a much better career, that's what surprised people.
atennisfanid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 11:50 PM   #10
country flag Potato

Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute

serena is technically drastically better than venus
Potato is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 12:42 AM   #11
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

I remember he said it was because Serena's technique was more compact (partly because she's less lanky). Which I interpreted as him saying that less could go wrong in her strokes.

He also said that at her best, Venus is the best.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 12:42 AM   #12
country flag lloyders76

lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato View Post
yeah, i tend to agree. i think he saw that serena was technically better and was just as, if not more, determined.

also, at that stage, venus was clearly fulfilling her potential to be an elite player, so it made sense to garner attention for serena by making this kind of comment,

but i don't think it was self-fulfilling
lloyders76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 12:52 AM   #13
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ranfurly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 01:12 AM   #14
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yup. Serena's technique was sometimes suspect (especially from 2004-2006) but nowadays it's not even close. Her strokes and serve now are as as crisp and fluid as they've ever been.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 01:35 AM   #15
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

This topic reminds me that, according to Virginia Wade, she apparently went to play with the Williams sisters for an afternoon when they were about aged 8-10, and she thought Serena was going to be a finesse player because she was mainly hitting lobs and slices and touch shots at that time
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote