How does Sharapova's career slam stack up against the Career slams before hers? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #31
country flag Serenapower

Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How does Sharapova's career slam stack up against the Career slams before hers?

It seems Maria fans exagerrate what the career slam means for her and what her place in history will be considered. Andre Agassi has achieved the Career Slam which is much harder in the mens game than the womens, and he is an 8 slam winner, and yet he is still rated by almost all experts and fans below Lendl and Connors who also have 8 slams, and even McEnroe who only has 7. Given the numerous other holes in her career- no year as the generally regarded best player in the World, no year as the year end #1, no defense of a slam title, no 2 slams in the same year, no years winning a large number of tournaments for the year, and not even back to back years winning a slam, she would need 9 slams to even be rated by people on par with Venus or Henin even with her Career Slam.
Serenapower is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 18th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #32
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How does Sharapova's career slam stack up against the Career slams before hers?

Maria is an excellent 4x1 slam wonder .
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #33
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenapower View Post
It seems Maria fans exagerrate what the career slam means for her and what her place in history will be considered. Andre Agassi has achieved the Career Slam which is much harder in the mens game than the womens, and he is an 8 slam winner, and yet he is still rated by almost all experts and fans below Lendl and Connors who also have 8 slams, and even McEnroe who only has 7. Given the numerous other holes in her career- no year as the generally regarded best player in the World, no year as the year end #1, no defense of a slam title, no 2 slams in the same year, no years winning a large number of tournaments for the year, and not even back to back years winning a slam, she would need 9 slams to even be rated by people on par with Venus or Henin even with her Career Slam.
oh hi Sgt. Timmy! please tell us where this empirical stat came from and why a person with more slams and the career grand slam would only be equal with two non-career grand slam 7x champions who were highly surface dependent?
effedcamel is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #34
country flag Serenapower

Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light Serenapower is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by effedcamel View Post
oh hi Sgt. Timmy! please tell us where this empirical stat came from and why a person with more slams and the career grand slam would only be equal with two non-career grand slam 7x champions who were highly surface dependent?
Venus outside of being one of the top 3 best grass courters in history, has won back to back U.S Opens, Olympic Gold on hard courts, the prestigious Miami event 3 times, and lost to the eventual winner in another 5 U.S Opens, 2 of those finals. In the summers of 2000 and 2001 she played some of the best hard court tennis ever by a women, losing only 1 match in the two summers combined. Except for Australian hard courts she shats all over Maria on any other hard court, and hard courts is Maria's best surface just like grass is Venus's. She also made 4 slam finals in a row at one point, losing all to GOATRena who whatever you consider best version of Maria would have failed to get more than 5 games against in any of those 4 finals most likely.

Henin won her 2 U.S Opens with some of the most impressive hard court tennis every by a women, winning an all time great match in the 2003 semis, and crushing both Williams sisters en route to the 2007 title. She has also won an Australian Open, 2 WTA year end Championships, and Olympic Gold on hard courts, meaning her hard court resume destroys Maria Sharapova's in every sense at this moment.

Outside of Venus on clay and Australian only hard courts and Henin on grass, Maria does not compare to either women on any surface at this point. As for being surface dependent I would rather have a surface I am considered an all time great and 2nd or 3rd best all time like Venus on grass and Henin on clay than not even be top 20 all time on any surface with wins sprinkled far apart in different places like a large hay field like Maria. I would also rather be considered the best player in the World like Henin was in 2003, 2004, 2006, and 2007 and Venus was in 2000 and 2001 then never be the best player in the World like Maria.

I dont like any of the 3 players and probably dislike Henin the cheater the most of the three so it definitely isnt bias on my part. Obvious is obvious, and I would like anyone who tries to overvalue the Career Slam and its meaning to address my Andre Agassi example, and why would it be any different for Maria, especialy when it is a more rare and difficult feat in the mens game.

Last edited by Serenapower : Oct 18th, 2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #35
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Might be the worse of all career slam, but who cares. She can still improve her record. let's wait and judge once she retires.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #36
*Nefertiti*

*Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of

She has the career-slam, multiple tours, and a successful life. But Graff, Navratilova, Serena, Evert, etc are better than her. mmmm a life tragedy out there. I don't know how she can live with herself?

Seriously guys.

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~
*Nefertiti* is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #37
country flag Serenapower

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Nefertiti* View Post
She has the career-slam, multiple tours, and a successful life. But Graff, Navratilova, Serena, Evert, etc are better than her. mmmm a life tragedy out there. I don't know how she can live with herself?

Seriously guys.
Of the people with the career slam she ranks dead last below even Shirley Fry, another 4 slam only winner. Even Fry won 3 slams in a row. That is what you call dominance. When did Maria ever have a run close to that.

There are some posters in this thread who seem to think being a career slam winner elevates her above all non career slam winners which is laughable. Forget Henin and Venus, lets even rank her above Monica Seles who never won Wimbledon. Lets rank her above Suzanne Lenglen who never won the Australian or U.S Open. Now comprehend how ridiculous to overvalue the career slam is.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #38
country flag oh yeah i guess

oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of

Why is Timmykinz allowed to post threads?

Even better, why is he even allowed to post at all?

It's not even funny, just creepy.
oh yeah i guess is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #39
*Nefertiti*

*Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenapower View Post
Of the people with the career slam she ranks dead last below even Shirley Fry, another 4 slam only winner. Even Fry won 3 slams in a row. That is what you call dominance. When did Maria ever have a run close to that.

There are some posters in this thread who seem to think being a career slam winner elevates her above all non career slam winners which is laughable. Forget Henin and Venus, lets even rank her above Monica Seles who never won Wimbledon. Lets rank her above Suzanne Lenglen who never won the Australian or U.S Open. Now comprehend how ridiculous to overvalue the career slam is.
I get your point, she cant be considered a better player than Henin for example. I just meant that its not an important issue.

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~
*Nefertiti* is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #40
country flag thegreendestiny

thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute

Mariah sang it. Maria listened. End of story.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #41
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of

just shows how easy it is to win the career-slam compared to the men. especially in this era thanks to lack of competition. just imagine henin or hingis had opponents like errani in their gs-finals both would've completed the career-slam easily.
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #42
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

This board would be NOTHING without Sharapova and her fans.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #43
country flag Serenapower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbert View Post
just shows how easy it is to win the career-slam compared to the men. especially in this era thanks to lack of competition. just imagine henin or hingis had opponents like errani in their gs-finals both would've completed the career-slam easily.
Exactly. Is Maria's French Open title supposed to prove she is a better clay courter than say Henin is a grass courter. Henin lost to Venus, Serena, Venus, Mauresmo in 4 of her 5 times to the Wimbledon finals or semis. Maria only had to beat no talent losers like Na and Errani to win 2 French Opens and still managed only 1 of those. Henin only having to beat Na and Errani to win Wimbledon in 2002 and 2003 would have won both. Venus lost her only Australian and French Open finals to Serena. Would Maria have won any slam after 2005 if she had to beat Serena in the final like Venus did.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #44
country flag Sgt.Timmykinz

Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingisGOAT View Post
A weak vulture player whose achievements pale in comparison to everyone else.

She lowered the bar greatly.

In the future, conversations about a Career Slam will start with the sentence "But even Maria freaking Sharapova has a career slam, it's not a big deal at all"
Excellent insightful point, in the same way if Kournikova had managed to win a title that tournament would have become a joke on the tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondtieva View Post
Maria is an excellent 4x1 slam wonder .
Yes, I agree she's a four times one slam wonder. Its amazing that she was never able to win one slam twice, screams volumes about her career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh yeah i guess View Post
Why is Timmykinz allowed to post threads?

Even better, why is he even allowed to post at all?

It's not even funny, just creepy.
Sgt.Timmykinz is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #45
country flag thegreendestiny

thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute

Maria's career slam was achieved because of how her dedication to the sport challenged her to improve her game on the worst of her surface. 5 years ago, no one would even seriously consider her a contender for RG. That was further challenged by her injury. But what did she really do? She improved her clay weakness.

If Venus did not face Serena in RG 2002, I doubt she can win the finals against Capriati on clay. Hingis had a chance but totally wasted it against Majoli. Same with Monica when she wasted her chance because of grunting criticism. Career slam is about seizing the opportunity, not boasting who you beat.