How does Sharapova's career slam stack up against the Career slams before hers? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #16
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How does Sharapova's career slam stack up against the Career slams before hers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Serena and Graf are so great that they managed to be outstanding even in this elite group with Career Golden Slam and Calendar Golden Slam respectively
Yes tht's why I said Sharapova's Career slam could be considered less impressive than theirs.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 18th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #17
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How does Sharapova's career slam stack up against the Career slams before hers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ all the way View Post
Career slam is a great achievement, i think the OP is trying to diminish her accomplishment by opening this thread......

redirect your fustrations elsewhere
He is a lost cause, he needs jesus.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #18
country flag killerqueen

killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute killerqueen has a reputation beyond repute

As much as you enjoy trying to devalue it, Maria's career slam is equal to all the others. A career slam is nothing more than winning all four majors in ones career. Steffi did it, Martina did it, Serena did it, Maria did it. The fact that the other members all have vastly more illustrious careers has no bearing on Maria's career slam, and neither does the fact that she isn't as good a player as them. (Something which even her most deluded of stans will admit!)

You don't win all four majors by mistake. It takes a very good player to win even one slam, let alone all of them. When you look at that group, it's only the all-time greats that have managed to do it. Yeah, Maria isn't quite as good as them, but I think it says something about her personality and determination that she has managed to complete the set despite having less natural talent than the others. Anyway, since when was it a crime to not have a career that matches that of Serena Williams or Steffi Graf?

As much as you hate it, Maria Sharapova has won all four majors, something only nine other women were able to do. Maybe it says more about certain other great players, who were gifted with far more talent than her, but just couldnt do what she did.

Elena Baltacha. Never forgotten.
killerqueen is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #19
country flag Let.them.talk

Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all Let.them.talk is a name known to all

The only differences in the achievements for me is that they are achievements made for different people, nothing else. After all you're talking Career-Grand-Slam (not consecutive), not Grand Slam, the four GS in one year.
Let.them.talk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #20
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute
Is Sharapova's career slam less impressive than many of the other women who have acheived the feat? Maybe, but regardless of that she won all 4 slams and no one will ever be able to take that away from her. It's really more interesting to look at all the amazing players that havent won a career slam like Hingis, Venus, Henin, Davenport, Clijsters, even Mauresmo all could make a legitimate case as being better than Maria yet unable to win a Career Grand Slam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
VOTE POPCON 2014
iWill is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #21
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Shirley Fry Irvin
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #22
UDACHi

UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute

obviously a troll thread since the op is a psycho but i'll take the bait: maria obviously is less accomplished than most because she's still active and they're retired with full careers.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #23
country flag mauresmofan

mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute

It's obviously the weakest given she's only won 1 of each Slam however it's a testament to her commitment to the sport, work ethic and mental fortitude that she turned her worst surface over the years into argueably her best and most consistant. I'm not a Sharapova fan at all but hats off to what she's done and watching her slide on the clay and turn herself into a better athlete has made me respect her an awful lot more than I did in the past. It's an incredible achievement.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #24
country flag hingisGOAT

hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

A weak vulture player whose achievements pale in comparison to everyone else.

She lowered the bar greatly.

In the future, conversations about a Career Slam will start with the sentence "But even Maria freaking Sharapova has a career slam, it's not a big deal at all"

-- Legend, shortly before crushing Vulturepova
hingisGOAT is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #25
country flag JJ all the way

JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute

^ Haha but even Hingis, Venus, Henin, Clijsters and Davenport dont have one, so it must be a big deal!!!
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #26
country flag ziros

ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingisGOAT View Post
A weak vulture player whose achievements pale in comparison to everyone else.

She lowered the bar greatly.

In the future, conversations about a Career Slam will start with the sentence "But even Maria freaking Sharapova has a career slam, it's not a big deal at all"
To win even one grand slam is a big deal. When players start out,this will be their goal but less than 0.1% of professional players will achieve this goal
ziros is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #27
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziros View Post
I'm a huge fan of Maria but I'm not deluded,I realize most(if not all) of the women who also have career slams have much more natural talent than she does. I think this makes it all the more impressive though,it speaks volumes about her motivation and drive...
This. I think she is the least naturally talented member of the top 10, and I think she has worked harder for her achievements than everyone else in the top 10.
petra

maria
domi • sveta • sam • katia • lena • alla • petko
netphobia is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #28
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingisGOAT View Post
"Maria legendary Sharapova has a career slam"
We know that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenus Christ View Post
Wait Kerber's ankle I thought it was her shoulder..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomere View Post
I hope its both.
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #29
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Even though I don´t like her, this has to be praised, it´s extremelly dificult to achieve the career slam, as you can see much more talented players like:

Peak Pierce
Monica Seles
Hingis
Davenport
Justine
Venus

weren´t able to achieve this feat. But to have freaking useless Errani in a slam final and mental midget Ivanovic is everything you can ask for in a slam final And smartly she took advantage of that.

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Golden Flowers - Stosur - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #30
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

It's notable, but it not defining. Hingis is still a greater player in the history of the game, for example, or even ASV.

WHat's interesting about Sharapova, in this context, is that she went from incompetent on slow courts, but a fast court champ, to a slow court champ who fails on the biggest stages on fast courts. THAT is unusual.
Closed Thread