Would you prefer the ATP-Tournament Category System for the WTA? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 14th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #1
country flag A-Bond

A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute
Would you prefer the ATP-Tournament Category System for the WTA?

I think the WTA-System with Premier Mandatory, Premier 5, Premier 470 and International is very confusing.

I really prefer the ATP-System. Masters Series 1000-Events, 500-Events and 250-Events. Makes much more sense. I don't get why they can't throw the Mandatory and Premier 5 Events in the same bucket. I mean if you win Tokyo you get 900 Points, if you win Beijing 1000. Great. And Top-Players have to play all 4 Mandatory Events plus 4 out of 5 Premier 5s, that's the same with the men who have to play 8 out of 9 Master Series Events. I know that the WTA wants to be independant, but seriously, that is a mess Even the old Tier 1,2,3,4 System was better than this. I'd actually prefer if there was another separation for the Internationals. You just can't get the same amount of points by winning Bogota, Fes and Baku as you get when you win Auckland, Seoul, Linz, Luxembourg etc.
A-Bond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 14th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #2
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you prefer the ATP-Tournament Category System for the WTA?

I'd like a re-branding.

The whole Premier Mandatory, Premier 5 and Premier thing sounds ridiculous. I mean everything seems to be called a Premier except the Internationals and for casual fans how the fuck do they know what a Mandatory is compared to a 5. I'd love to know who was paid to come up with the awkward names for the different levels.

The way the Tier system was branded was much easier to follow. I, II, II etc.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #3
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

Go back to the tier system.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #4
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

I agree
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #5
country flag Chaosm21

Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of

Poll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomplayer89 View Post
She's been a top 10 player for 2 years now. We're way past the "beginning". She's never going to be inside the top 5. Getting to #5 was as close as she'll ever get.
Chaosm21 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #6
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gunner913 View Post
Go back to the tier system.
This.

Plus, the tier system is much easier to explain to non die hard tennis fans
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #7
country flag A-Bond

A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love if it was

WTA-1000-Series: Doha, Indian Wells, Miami, Madrid, Rome, Canada, Cincinnati, Tokyo, Beijing
WTA-750-Series: Sydney, Dubai, Stuttgart, Eastbourne, Stanford
WTA-500-Series: Brisbane, Paris (I), Charleston, Brussels, Carlsbad, New Haven, Moscow
WTA-350-Series: Auckland, Pattaya City, Acapulco, Strasbourg, Birmingham, -s'Hertogenbosch, Palermo, Seoul, Linz, Luxembourg
WTA-200-Series: All other Internationals

I mean okay it's a bit messier than the old Tier and the ATP-System. It's still better though than the current WTA-System plus it would reflect the rankings better, with player winning Stuttgart and -s'Hertogenbosch getting more points than Winners of New Haven and Bogota.

As for the Player commitments (guaranteed):

WTA-1000-Series: All Top 10 players except Serena when she's not in the mood
WTA-750-Series: 6/7 Top 10 players
WTA-500-Series: 3/4 Top 10 players
WTA-350-Series: 1 Top 10 player and 2 Top 20
WTA-200-Series: 1 Top 30 player
A-Bond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #8
babsi

babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future

As with most things before the 'roadmap' it needs to be changed back to how it was before. If it ain't broke and all that...

babsi is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #9
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

I never understand why people say the tier system is confusing, but whatever.

It is fine. We don't need yet another tier system name change.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #10
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

90% the same as always was, different name.

Premier-M/Premier-5 = Tier I = ATP Masters Series
Premier-700 = Tier II = ATP 500
International = Tier III-IV = ATP 250
C. Drone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #11
country flag lenusu

lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice lenusu is just really nice

I would go for WTA.
lenusu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #12
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

The Tier system was easier for casual fans to understand.
Jane Lane is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #13
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute

They just need to put it back into Tier system and require the amount of tournaments that must be played in each tier rather than some Premier, Mandatory, 5, or International shit. Pretty much, the only thing generated from this is Tournament of Champions.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #14
country flag Trigo

Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all

I think the worst thing it splitting the tournaments in FOUR categories!
I don't care about the names, but the "Mandatory" and "Premier 5" should be the same thing.

As the OP said, make the girls play at least 8 out of 9, and that's it!
Trigo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #15
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

Tier system was better.

This one is just like, "what? 5? Mandatory????????"
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote