Boy's arm bitten off by tiger in Indian zoo A two year old boy's arm was bitten off by a tiger in an Indian zoo as he tried to feed the predator a bar of chocolate.
Zoo officials blamed the boy's relatives for their failure to look after him Photo: ALAMY
A boy named Nikhil, had been visiting Bellary Zoo in Karnataka, close to Bangalore, with his grandmother when she left him alone to look for a playground.
While she was away, he pushed his arm through the cage bars in the unguarded enclosure to offer his chocolate and was immediately attacked by a male tiger known as Bhima.
Zoo officials blamed the boy's relatives for their failure to look after him.
"A two-and-a-half year old boy had come to the zoo with his grandparents. His grandmother was attending a phone call, while the boy put his arm into the tiger closure through the grill. The tiger pounced on boy, injuring him badly. Unfortunately, he lost his forearm in the attack," Deputy Conservator of Forests S Manikantan told The Daily Telegraph.
"We take precautions but the visitors have to be extra careful," he said.