BT Vision to gain WTA Rights In UK - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WTA New Contract

Are you Happy with Eurosport 29 93.55%
Are you happy with the new 'proposed' deal with BT Vision 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #91
country flag leftyness

leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of
Re: BT Vision to gain WTA Rights In UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
It seems EU countries with no coverage can watch the tennistv.com coverage. (Atleast now there are also Premier events shown as highlights, where it before was ''covered'')
Yes, the WTA prems are finally showing up as being available here too. No price increase, so I'm tempted try them out for a month/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony. View Post
Since I don't know what BT Vision, a quick wikipedia says it announced a deal with Eurosport on November 8th. Maybe they'll get the rights and decide when and how to air content, and have a sharing deal with ES?
http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/S...6-B8A365D890A2

Quote:
BT VISION SIGNS BRITISH EUROSPORT DEAL
BT Vision has signed a contract with British Eurosport to add British Eurosport and British Eurosport 2 to its line-up of linear TV channels.

The new long term deal will bring British Eurosport and British Eurosport 2 live channels to BT Vision, offering sports fans the chance to watch major European and international sporting events including the French Open, Australian Open and US......
Folks, as many of the rest of you have probably been doing, every day or two I pop on here to see if there's news, and then google a bit in the hopes that solid news is afoot. This evening, on a whim, I checked forward on Digiguide. Suprisingly, they have ES listings up to December 31st...

leftyness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #92
country flag Philip

Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future Philip has a brilliant future
So... Is BT vision going to exclusively show wta on their platform or is es still going to show wta, with BT vision now having access to their channels?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using VerticalSports.Com App
Always in our hearts.... Arantxa Sanchez Vicario!.... 110 titles.... no1 in singles and doubles.... a true legend!
Philip is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #93
country flag DanBrusca

DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light DanBrusca is a glorious beacon of light

I'm literally giving up on trying to understand what's going on.
DanBrusca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #94
country flag fnc

fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
So... Is BT vision going to exclusively show wta on their platform or is es still going to show wta, with BT vision now having access to their channels?
No announcement has been made for the UK regarding who will show the WTA next year. The press release about ES/BT only deals with the ES channels now being made available to BT Vision customers. ES has lost the rights to show the majority of the tournaments. They can still buy the rights for the the smaller international tournaments. If the schedule shown above remains unchanged it looks like they acquired the rights for the Brisbane tournament.

It's good to see that the premier tournaments are now also available in the Netherlands on tennistv.com.
fnc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #95
country flag leftyness

leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of

It is encouraging to see that Perform are willing to deal with ES.

I emailed Perform to ask why their FAQ section still states that

Quote:
WTA Premier Tournaments
- WTA Premier live streams are NOT available in all European territories
and got this reply

Quote:
Thank you for your email.

We remain committed to ensuring fans of WTA tennis around the world can follow all the action and are in the middle of discussions regarding the TV distribution of WTA tennis in The Republic of Ireland.

We will make an announcement in the coming months once these discussions have been finalised.

Best regards

Customer Services
So it looks like ES have saved us...for now.

Last edited by leftyness : Nov 20th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #96
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnc View Post
No announcement has been made for the UK regarding who will show the WTA next year. The press release about ES/BT only deals with the ES channels now being made available to BT Vision customers. ES has lost the rights to show the majority of the tournaments. They can still buy the rights for the the smaller international tournaments. If the schedule shown above remains unchanged it looks like they acquired the rights for the Brisbane tournament.

It's good to see that the premier tournaments are now also available in the Netherlands on tennistv.com.
I'm guessing that this is a slight oversimplification. I'm guessing that previously WTA sold their rights in Europe as a block to Eurosport (i.e. ES had rights to air the WTA tournaments in every country in Europe). WTA decided that they could make more money by seling rights to air matches separately in all of the countries formerly served by the ES deal (i.e. someone watching Brisbane in Italy would be watching it on a channel provided by a different broadcaster to someone watching in Sweden, rather than both watching Eurosport).

However, there's nothing to stop British Eurosport from buying the rights to show WTA events in the UK. With Laura and Heather in the positions that they're in, that would be a fairly sound move in terms of getting ratings for WTA events.

TL;DR, just because ES doesn't have the rights for the whole of Europe doesn't mean they won't have the rights for individual countries.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #97
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshazza View Post
Wait people still haven't posted sources. Have BT Vision got the rights or not and if so what is the package outline?
Well this person allegedly had "very good" sources but bumped this BT Vision thread, which he started, asking for updates on the situation, as if those of us not privy to his sources would have a clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice View Post
My source is very good indeed and very sad about the way this matter has been handled!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice View Post
Does anyone have any updates, I can't wait any more
Suffice to say we don't seem to know yet.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #98
country flag fnc

fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotre View Post
I'm guessing that this is a slight oversimplification. I'm guessing that previously WTA sold their rights in Europe as a block to Eurosport (i.e. ES had rights to air the WTA tournaments in every country in Europe). WTA decided that they could make more money by seling rights to air matches separately in all of the countries formerly served by the ES deal (i.e. someone watching Brisbane in Italy would be watching it on a channel provided by a different broadcaster to someone watching in Sweden, rather than both watching Eurosport).

However, there's nothing to stop British Eurosport from buying the rights to show WTA events in the UK. With Laura and Heather in the positions that they're in, that would be a fairly sound move in terms of getting ratings for WTA events.

TL;DR, just because ES doesn't have the rights for the whole of Europe doesn't mean they won't have the rights for individual countries.
Admittedly it's somewhat of an oversimplification. The only tournaments ES can acquire the rights for in 2013 and beyond are the international ones. The WTA has made a deal with Perform to sell the rights to the Premier tournaments on a country by country basis. So far only a handful of country specific deals have been announced. Hopefully that's more due to the off season then to a lack of deals.

It is indeed possible that the country specific versions of ES get hold of the rights. But on the other hand in the end of season speech by Stacey Allaster she said goodbye to ES and thanked them for their effort. If the Brisbane listing on British ES is a sign of things to come for the UK, only time will tell. ES schedules have the tendency to change a lot.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #99
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Coming months? I'd like to have more than a day before the AO to weigh up my options. This has been a mess. If they wanted to leave ES they should have kept it on the channel another season and secured footage in all the countires, with deals set in stone for the following year.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #100
country flag leftyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnc View Post
It is indeed possible that the country specific versions of ES get hold of the rights. But on the other hand in the end of season speech by Stacey Allaster she said goodbye to ES and thanked them for their effort. If the Brisbane listing on British ES is a sign of things to come for the UK, only time will tell. ES schedules have the tendency to change a lot.
Stacey Allaster's comments in Istanbul struck me as rash at the time. WTA decided not to renew the deal with ES that gave ES exclusive rights to show WTA prems both via TV and online (ES player). This was probably down to one reason; money. When she made that address, most of Europe had no TV deal in place. Thumbing her nose at someone who might still be an option was a bit childish. Then again, Stacey may not know/care that there's country-specific ES versions.

Luckily, the folks at Perform realise that getting some money from ES is better than getting nothing. Time will indeed tell, but I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about the situation now.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #101
country flag fnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshazza View Post
Coming months? I'd like to have more than a day before the AO to weigh up my options. This has been a mess. If they wanted to leave ES they should have kept it on the channel another season and secured footage in all the countires, with deals set in stone for the following year.
Actually they had a year to arrange contracts on a country by country basis. The deal with Perform was announced at the end of 2011. You could argue that the WTA should've acted when they saw only a few of those deals were being made. ES does still have the rights for the AO (and Roland Garros + US Open).
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #102
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Any news?

I'm thinking of getting BT Vision so I can watch all the WTA matches.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #103
country flag Material World

Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of Material World has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
So I'm fucked.

Fuck you very much WTA. they may have got more money but will this really improve the popularity of the Tour if many people can't watch the fucking sport?
It's not like cricket didn't go down exactly the same route

Petkovic ~ Parmentier ~ Rezai ~ Errani ~ Vekic ~ Pavlyuchenkova ~ Halep ~ Konta ~ Riske
Material World is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #104
country flag GS2
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

GS2 is just really nice GS2 is just really nice GS2 is just really nice GS2 is just really nice GS2 is just really nice GS2 is just really nice GS2 is just really nice GS2 is just really nice GS2 is just really nice GS2 is just really nice GS2 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLaura View Post
Any news?

I'm thinking of getting BT Vision so I can watch all the WTA matches.
Recent reports have suggested their sports channels won't launch until Summer so I'd hold off for the time being if I were you.
GS2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #105
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

This thread keeps going but sources remain absent.