BT Vision to gain WTA Rights In UK - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WTA New Contract

Are you Happy with Eurosport 29 93.55%
Are you happy with the new 'proposed' deal with BT Vision 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 10th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #46
country flag lenas warriors

lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BT Vision to gain WTA Rights In UK

Grr. Looks really shit.

Do BT Vision even have a sports channel? They seem to show Sky Sports 1 and 2 (with extra subscription fees) and ESPN. Theres Vision Sports that appears to be on demand stuff (says its classics). Will they just dump the tennis on the on demand bit??
Amaze-arenka, Kvitty-GOAT and Halep
Hantuchova, Petrova, Zvonareva, Goerges, Koukalova, The Other Czechs, Halep, Keys, Townsend, Paszek
Li, Sharapova, Pavlyuchenkova, Makarova, The Other Russians, Kerber, Kanepi, Shvedova, Martic, Watson, Robson, Kimiko, Barthel, Erakovic
lenas warriors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 10th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #47
country flag lenas warriors

lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenas warriors View Post
Grr. Looks really shit.

Do BT Vision even have a sports channel? They seem to show Sky Sports 1 and 2 (with extra subscription fees) and ESPN. Theres Vision Sports that appears to be on demand stuff (says its classics). Will they just dump the tennis on the on demand bit??
the rest of their stuff seems really poor too. You only get about a dozen films (without paying for more on the box office), all of which look toss.
Amaze-arenka, Kvitty-GOAT and Halep
Hantuchova, Petrova, Zvonareva, Goerges, Koukalova, The Other Czechs, Halep, Keys, Townsend, Paszek
Li, Sharapova, Pavlyuchenkova, Makarova, The Other Russians, Kerber, Kanepi, Shvedova, Martic, Watson, Robson, Kimiko, Barthel, Erakovic
lenas warriors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #48
country flag leftyness

leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of

Well, ESPN is carried on the Sky platform, so it's possible any new BT Vision sports channel will be too. All speculation though, they haven't even launched a channel yet, but with their English Premier League (EPL) rights starting from the 2013/14 season, they'll probably be doing so soon. If that EPL deal is any indicator, they've got lots of cash to throw at sports bodies. Plus, a channel dedicated to sport is going to need a lot more than just 38 EPL matches (and Premiership Rugby)to fill all those hours of airtime. Tennis would be a good fit. But would the tennis get shoved aside for thrillers like Reading vs Wigan?

However, the lack of any stated source so far means I'm keeping my fingers off the panic-button. It's going to be a long autumn of rumors for UK (& Irish) tennis fans.
leftyness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #49
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not panicking yet either, if they are to show this live, they'll have to set up a sports channel. That will result in Sky making the hard bargain and getting it, or else Sky Sports is scrapped from BT Vision. So we should still be getting it on Sky.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #50
country flag leftyness

leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshazza View Post
I'm not panicking yet either, if they are to show this live, they'll have to set up a sports channel. That will result in Sky making the hard bargain and getting it, or else Sky Sports is scrapped from BT Vision. So we should still be getting it on Sky.
Hmmm, looks like that's not certain....

Marc Watson, head of BT Vision,
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...tson-interview

Quote:
BT intends to launch a Premier League channel that it will offer to rivals, although some observers believe that the company should turn the tables on Rupert Murdoch and keep it off Sky. Then, because it already has Sky's sports channels, BT Vision would be able to market itself as being the only place to watch all live Premier League matches.

However, Watson says he is keeping an open mind. "That is an option [not offering the channel to Sky], but it is early days, we are considering all options," he says. "Having games like these gives you options. We have had a lot of calls in the last few weeks. My instinctive view is to look to make it widely available, but we will see."
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #51
country flag Spice

Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold

I just hope we do not have to pay more money for subscription! Eurosport is already included in the Sports package for Sky!
Spice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #52
country flag Spice

Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold Spice is a splendid one to behold

On the BT Vision website, it states that you have pay 50p to watch a vision sport programme
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #53
country flag leftyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice View Post
I just hope we do not have to pay more money for subscription! Eurosport is already included in the Sports package for Sky!
Eurosport is part of the Sky entertainment extra bundle. You do not need to subscribe to Sky Sports to watch ES.

http://www.sky.com/products/tv-packs...index-roi.html
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #54
country flag Spice

Oops!
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #55
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyness View Post

That theory doesn't sound very logical. Surely if they do that, as someone said Sky can just pull the plug on them. And then you will get BT only able to advertise 38 live games, and Sky propaganda machine able to ramp up they have like 5x that amount. Not sure it would be a very smart business decision to go to war with Sky early on, because you can only see 1 winner in the long term.
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #56
country flag leftyness

Quote:

Quote:
Eurosport is part of the Sky entertainment extra bundle. You do not need to subscribe to Sky Sports to watch ES.

http://www.sky.com/products/tv-packs...index-roi.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
That theory doesn't sound very logical. Surely if they do that, as someone said Sky can just pull the plug on them. And then you will get BT only able to advertise 38 live games, and Sky propaganda machine able to ramp up they have like 5x that amount. Not sure it would be a very smart business decision to go to war with Sky early on, because you can only see 1 winner in the long term.
BT Vision mean to take Sky on for the millions of subscribers they have, so I don't doubt they'll play tough. Plus, they aren't satellite-based, so they can deliver their content independent of the Sky platform (a lil visit to the BT site enlightened me a bit).

Thinking about this makes my head hurt, damn you WTA!!
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #57
country flag Spice

Vote on the poll people!
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #58
country flag veryborednow
Team WTAworld

veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future

Depends entirely on the set up. If I can get their sports channel on Sky, I'm irritated that I have to pay more than £1 a month than I do for ES, but I'll do it (and probably drop ESPN).

If I need to get a new box / BT internet blah blah blah, I won't and I'm really pissed off cos they don't do speedy broadband where I live so I can't stream.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #59
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

I read an article, I'll try to find the link now. Basically though, BT already have a contract securing Sky Sports for the next couple of years. So they could launch a sports channel with their premier league matches and market themselves as the only place to watch ALL matches. However, it seemed as if they weren't going to take that road and are trying to leave as many options as possible.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #60
country flag Joe.

Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute

I can't find any source stating that BT have rights to WTA in 2013?