6÷2(2+1)=? - Page 21 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: ?

1. 40 26.85%
9. 99 66.44%
Others.(Please specify.) 2 1.34%
Hard to say. 8 5.37%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 6th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #301
country flag Igorche

Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

The basic rule for multiplication and division are:

-Multiplication and division have the same priority
- Addition and subtraction have the same priority
- Multiplication and division have higher priority than the addition and subtraction
- Operations of the same priority are implemented from left to right if there is no brackets to change the priority

and that's the only rule I accept.

By these rules we have:

6:2·(2+1)= 6:2·3=3·3=9

Problem appeared because the obelus ÷. The obelus, the name for the symbol denoting “÷”, is argued by some to represent the division of all terms preceding it by all terms after it. The obelus supposedly separates the two components of the fraction, with the top dot representing the numerator and the bottom dot representing the denominator.

So they count like this:

(6)/(2·(2+1))=6/6=1

But ISO states that the obelus should not be used.

So the answer is 9.
Bojana Jovanovski/Jelena Janković/Ana Ivanović/Vesna Dolonc/Aleksandra Krunić/Jovana Jakšić/Ivana Jorović/Doroteja Erić/Katarina Jokić/Nina Stojanović/Dejana Radanović/Nikolina Jović/Natalija Kostić/Tamara Čurović/Jelena Dokić/Kristina Mladenović/Andrea Petković
Igorche is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 6th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #302
country flag Pvt. Kovalenko

Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorche View Post
The basic rule for multiplication and division are:

-Multiplication and division have the same priority
- Addition and subtraction have the same priority
- Multiplication and division have higher priority than the addition and subtraction
- Operations of the same priority are implemented from left to right if there is no brackets to change the priority

and that's the only rule I accept.

By these rules we have:

6:2·(2+1)= 6:2·3=3·3=9

Problem appeared because the obelus ÷. The obelus, the name for the symbol denoting “÷”, is argued by some to represent the division of all terms preceding it by all terms after it. The obelus supposedly separates the two components of the fraction, with the top dot representing the numerator and the bottom dot representing the denominator.

So they count like this:

(6)/(2·(2+1))=6/6=1

But ISO states that the obelus should not be used.

So the answer is 9.
Case closed..

Moderators, send this thread to oblivion, please??

Svetlana Kuznetsova / Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova / Maria Kirilenko / Valeria Savinykh

Sorana Cirstea / Petra Kvitova

Anastasia Myskina / Maria Sharapova / Elena Dementieva
Pvt. Kovalenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #303
country flag Ksenia.
The fire still burns.

Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute

Source: I'm a math major.
Ksenia. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #304
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

How many times does this need to be explained. We all know it's 9. Some people are explaining it in such a convoluted way, talking about the "intent" of the author/questioner - seriously? :

It's pretty rudimentary in the UK to be able to solve equations like this while at school. If you wrote 1 as your answer you would get the question wrong and lose the mark.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #305
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

i have a doubt.....i mean seriously......which is greater quantity 2 or -2? everyone will say 2.....

now when we divide a number(say 100) with the greater number(2), the resulting number should be less than that of what we get when we divide the same number(100) with the lesser number(-2), no?

then why do we get 50 in the first case when diving by the greater quantity(2) and -50 in the second case when dividing by lesser quantity -2?

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #306
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Super Dave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #307
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
i have a doubt.....i mean seriously......which is greater quantity 2 or -2? everyone will say 2.....

now when we divide a number(say 100) with the greater number(2), the resulting number should be less than that of what we get when we divide the same number(100) with the lesser number(-2), no?

then why do we get 50 in the first case when diving by the greater quantity(2) and -50 in the second case when dividing by lesser quantity -2?
Novichok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #308
country flag Igorche

Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute

Because the function y=1/x have break in 0.

And here is the graphic function 1/x

Bojana Jovanovski/Jelena Janković/Ana Ivanović/Vesna Dolonc/Aleksandra Krunić/Jovana Jakšić/Ivana Jorović/Doroteja Erić/Katarina Jokić/Nina Stojanović/Dejana Radanović/Nikolina Jović/Natalija Kostić/Tamara Čurović/Jelena Dokić/Kristina Mladenović/Andrea Petković
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #309
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorche View Post
Because the function y=1/x have break in 0.

And here is the graphic function 1/x

then don't treat -2 smaller than +2......-2 is messing with +100 and devaluing it far better than +2......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #310
country flag Igorche

What?
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #311
country flag Adrian.
Let's have a kiki!

Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute

I have 9 as well and then I realizied this thread has already 21 pages

whhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???

Adrian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #312
country flag esquímaux
Team WTAworld

esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute

Please excuse my dear aunt Sally??
"恐れてはいけない. 私は最初であり, 最後である"
esquímaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #313
country flag Veesus

Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute

Source: Im the smartest bitch on this Forum.
Veesus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #314
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salve View Post

Source: Im the smartest bitch on this Forum.

Super Dave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #315
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

it's nine but I don't understand what's the point of this thread nor why there'd be 21 pages of this ...and with my post I'm increasing it
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote