6÷2(2+1)=? - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: ?

1. 40 26.85%
9. 99 66.44%
Others.(Please specify.) 2 1.34%
Hard to say. 8 5.37%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #166
country flag Hurley
Enemy of Art

Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshazza View Post
Division comes before Multiplication
Sigh. Read the thread.

You got lucky this time because the division sign comes first left-to-right. You would have been dead wrong had those signs been reversed.
Advertisement

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #167
LeRoy.

LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
Apropos of nothing, if you don't know the difference between "its" and "it's," I hope it's because you're functionally retarded and no one likes you.

Oooh a racist grammar police? Go to Becca's board and bitch about me with your other 5 personalities.
LeRoy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #168
country flag ServeCaspian

ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
Sigh. Read the thread.

You got lucky this time because the division sign comes first left-to-right. You would have been dead wrong had those signs been reversed.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #169
country flag Hurley
Enemy of Art

Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshazza View Post
Ain't nobody got time for that.
Ah, touché.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #170
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by égalité View Post
Of course there is. Mathematicians don't establish rules like these unless they're essential. Here's why it matters for the problem in this thread:

Multiplication of real numbers is associative: (ab)c=a(bc).

Take four nonzero integers a,b,c,d and multiply: a times b/c times d.

By associativity, (ab/c)d=a(b/cd).

But interpreting these expressions in the same manner that is used to achieve an answer of 1, we get (ab/c)d=(abd)/c, and a(b/cd)=ab/(cd). These are not equal. If we mess around with order of operations, multiplication becomes non-associative.
I'm not sure if I'm understand where you're getting at. Help me if you have time.

You supplied semantics for the expression and then by associativity you showed that (ab/c)d=a(b/cd). Then you gave an interpretation to these two (equal by associativity) expressions. And since (abd)/c is not equal to ab/(cd), this shows that multiplication becomes non-associative.

But why would we expect (abd)/c and ab/(cd) to be equal? You showed that they were equal by associativity based on the first interpretation that you provided. Then you applied another interpretation ("interpreting...in the same manner that is used to achieve an answer of 1"). Is the identity relation still true if the semantics change? Shouldn't (ab/c)d interpreted as ((ab)/c)d if we interpret in the same manner that is used to achieve an answer of 1?

You're probably right; It's not at all obvious that it's arbitrary in the way that I meant it.

Last edited by Novichok : Oct 12th, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Novichok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #171
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novichok View Post
I'm not sure if I'm understand where you're getting at. Help me if you have time.

You supplied semantics for the expression and then you by associativity you showed that (ab/c)d=a(b/cd). Then you gave an interpretation to these two (equal by associativity) expressions. And since (abd)/c is not equal to ab/(cd), this shows that multiplication becomes non-associative.

But why would we expect (abd)/c and ab/(cd) to be equal? You showed that they were equal by associativity based on the first interpretation that you provided. Then you applied another interpretation ("interpreting...in the same manner that is used to achieve an answer of 1"). Is the identity relation still true if the semantics change? Shouldn't (ab/c)d interpreted as ((ab)/c)d if we interpret in the same manner that is used to achieve an answer of 1?

You're probably right; It's not at all obvious that it's arbitrary in the way that I meant it.
I didn't show they were equal. I said that they SHOULD be equal based on the fact that multiplication of real numbers is associative. But if you rearrange the terms on the left hand side, you get (ab/c)d=d(ab/c)=(dab)/c=(abd)/c (justified by the fact that multiplication is also commutative). If you rearrange the terms on the right hand side, according to the flawed order of operations being used in this thread, you get a(b/cd)=a(b/(cd))=(ab)/(cd). So the two things that were supposed to be equal are not equal. You can certainly find numbers that make (abd)/c=(ab)/(cd) true, like if they're all equal to 1, for example, but this is ALWAYS supposed to be true, not just sometimes.

It's a proof by contradiction. Assume that order of operations works in the "6/2(2+1)=1" way, derive a mathematical absurdity, conclude that your assumption was wrong.
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #172
country flag FerrerFan123
ShinSekai Yori

FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's 9, then there should be parentheses around the 6/2.

In this case it is 6/(2(2+1)), which is obviously 1.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #173
country flag Pvt. Kovalenko

Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of

It's 9

6/2 * (2+1) = 3 * (3) = 9

or

6/2 * (2+1) = 3 * (2+1) = (distributing the 3) = (3*2 + 3*1) = (6+3) = 9

Now, IF you're a calculator, then, probably this equation will end up in 1

Svetlana Kuznetsova / Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova / Maria Kirilenko / Valeria Savinykh

Sorana Cirstea / Petra Kvitova

Anastasia Myskina / Maria Sharapova / Elena Dementieva
Pvt. Kovalenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #174
ShinSekai Yori

FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt. Kovalenko View Post
It's 9

6/2 * (2+1) = 3 * (3) = 9

or

6/2 * (2+1) = 3 * (2+1) = (distributing the 3) = (3*2 + 3*1) = (6+3) = 9

Now, IF you're a calculator, then, probably this equation will end up in 1
But you're using the wrong equation.

6/2(2+1) not 6/2 * (2+1)

This is all about division, not order of operations.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #175
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlichno View Post
But you're using the wrong equation.

6/2(2+1) not 6/2 * (2+1)

This is all about division, not order of operations.
These are the same. I actually provided a proof of this on the previous page.
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #176
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't show they were equal. I said that they SHOULD be equal based on the fact that multiplication of real numbers is associative. But if you rearrange the terms on the left hand side, you get (ab/c)d=d(ab/c)=(dab)/c=(abd)/c (justified by the fact that multiplication is also commutative). If you rearrange the terms on the right hand side, according to the flawed order of operations being used in this thread, you get a(b/cd)=a(b/(cd))=(ab)/(cd). So the two things that were supposed to be equal are not equal. You can certainly find numbers that make (abd)/c=(ab)/(cd) true, like if they're all equal to 1, for example, but this is ALWAYS supposed to be true, not just sometimes.

It's a proof by contradiction. Assume that order of operations works in the "6/2(2+1)=1" way, derive a mathematical absurdity, conclude that your assumption was wrong.
Ok. I'm just confused.

Isn't the identity relation (ab/c)d=d(ab/c)=(dab)/c=(abd)/c dependent on the semantics?

If we change the semantics, why should we expect the identity relation to be true?
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:29 AM   #177
country flag égalité

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novichok View Post
Ok. I'm just confused.

Isn't the identity relation (ab/c)d=d(ab/c)=(dab)/c=(abd)/c dependent on the semantics?

If we change the semantics, why should we expect the identity relation to be true?
No, all the steps there are true in both versions of order of operations in question.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "dependent on the semantics!"

Management!
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #178
ShinSekai Yori

Quote:
These are the same. I actually provided a proof of this on the previous page.
Oh, okay.

Thanks for that.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #179
country flag PhilePhile

PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future

Quote:
Of course there is. Mathematicians don't establish rules like these unless they're essential. Here's why it matters for the problem in this thread:

Multiplication of real numbers is associative: (ab)c=a(bc).

Take four nonzero integers a,b,c,d and multiply: a times b/c times d. A x (B/C) x D

By associativity, (ab/c)d=a(b/cd).

But interpreting these expressions in the same manner that is used to achieve an answer of 1, we get (ab/c)d=(abd)/c, and a(b/cd)=ab/(cd). These are not equal. If we mess around with order of operations, multiplication becomes non-associative.

Fixed.
PhilePhile is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #180
country flag égalité

Yeah, that's what I said.

Management!