Where does Azarenka go from here? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #46
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where does Azarenka go from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
there will be still some 2 or 3 players better than she is on grass. It's still hard to win Wimbledon without special grass game as Serena/Venus/Amelie/preinjury Masha/Petra have..... Wimbledon is tournament where great hardcourt players can reach SF or Finals , but still not win it...... like Clijsters, Henin

As for me Lisicki has more chances to win Wimbledon than Vika
Aga is a player who certainly does not possess a game special for grass yet she was one set away from winning Wimbledon this year. So I don't see why Vika shouldn't be able to win it someday.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #47
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
when she was figuring out how to beat Rena she lost the plot how to play vs Masha
She just couldn't be bothered to play against Masha
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #48
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbristol View Post
Did anyone noticed how hard it was for Serena to win WIMBLEDON 2012???
She had to contend with a extremely high caliber competition, espeically Jie Zheng in the Third and Yedova in the fourth. I encourage everyone to rewatch those matches on youtube. It's like all those players rise to the occasion against williams. It's a wonder she is still winning slams in an era where most female players go all out for the win and play very well and hit the ball hard and accurately and play cleverly too. There is no way either graf or I dont know who else could have the winning percentage or head to head stat williams has against the tour. The level is just too high right now. All credit to williams for being de facto number 1 at any even she enters, an incredible achievement she managed this year too against very hard competition.
still Shvedova/Zheng/Radwanska are no match to Serena's roads to the title in 2002 or 2003 when WTA wasn't a competition of just three women

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #49
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Aga is a player who certainly does not possess a game special for grass yet she was one set away from winning Wimbledon this year. So I don't see why Vika shouldn't be able to win it someday.
actually she hadn't any chances to win that match, it was from the beginning to the end on Serena's racket, moreover she was extremely lucky to get in that Final(who watched Makiri -AGa will understand).... But it's not like Zvonareva wasn't in Final or Nathalie Tauziat ....

But this step from RU to Winner is extremely long at Wimbledon, even Henin couldn't win the Title

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #50
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Aa far as I remember Petra was similarly overhyped last year, supposed to dominate in 2012 and win several Wimbledons in a row.
That is not my memory.

I recall a total 'wait-and-see', after Kvitova won Wimbledon. Followed by a less-than-stellar next fifteen months FOR Kvitova. Similarly, Azaenka's slam win has been followed by 'back it up'. Only she HAS.

Azarenka has, in boxing terms, established herself as the #1 contender, something Kvitova never did.
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #51
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
actually she hadn't any chances to win that match, it was from the beginning to the end on Serena's racket, moreover she was extremely lucky to get in that Final(who watched Makiri -AGa will understand).... But it's not like Zvonareva wasn't in Final or Nathalie Tauziat ....

But this step from RU to Winner is extremely long at Wimbledon, even Henin couldn't win the Title
Matches in Wimbledon/on grass will most likely always be on Serena's racket because if she's playing at her best there's currently no player who has a chance to win two sets against her. However, even in these match-ups upsets are possible, mostly when the favorite isn't playing at her best. Who knows how close this year's Wimbledon final would have been if Serena had faced Vika instead of Aga and she would have had the same loss of concentration in the middle of the match? Or what if Shvedova or Zheng would have pulled the upset early in the tournament? Vika would have had much better chances of reaching the final - facing Aga there. Just speculation, I know, but I think it shows that it's really not highly unlikely that Vika will have her chances of winning Wimbledon in the future.
Natural Joe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #52
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
That is not my memory.

I recall a total 'wait-and-see', after Kvitova won Wimbledon. Followed by a less-than-stellar next fifteen months FOR Kvitova. Similarly, Azaenka's slam win has been followed by 'back it up'. Only she HAS.

Azarenka has, in boxing terms, established herself as the #1 contender, something Kvitova never did.
What are you talking about? in supposedly 2011 GOAT year by Petra she has reached in slams other than Wimby QF at AO, 4r RG, 1r USO and in this 'bad' year she reached SF at AO, SF at RG, QF at OG, 4r USO and even win two premier titles on NA HC and reached SF in another snatching USO series where she never was good just because Rena's great run, Sharpies CGS and Vika's 1st slam win overshadows her overall improvement you can't said this was bad year just because she didn't win a slam in back to back years

Last edited by ShiftyFella : Oct 7th, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #53
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

She will have a better career than Miss Kvitova I hope so
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenus Christ View Post
Wait Kerber's ankle I thought it was her shoulder..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomere View Post
I hope its both.
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #54
country flag resilience

resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light

Azarenka's toughest opponents to her Wimbledon semis were Paszek and Hantuchova the only reason she got a set off Kvitova last year was because Petra went into one of her walkabout-moments for half an hour. Anyone who watched the match knows that; Azarenka had like 8 winners that day you just can't win Wimbledon with that kind of play.

I think she'll be very tough to beat at the Australian Open and some of those sluggish hardcourt tournaments but she REALLY needs to find a serve. Sharapova is making her look a lot better than she actually is. Serena did that too in her 2nd set shitfest at the USO final.

Nevertheless, unless Kvitova steps it up, Azarenka will be the dominant force in the next couple of years. I mean, who else will challenge her? Li? Stosur? Kerber? Sharapova would've been a worthy rival but she just gets way too anxious against her nowadays. Serena will continue owning her until the day she retires.

I agree with the poster who said Azarenka is a transitional, Hingis-like figure.
resilience is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #55
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

She ain't no Ivanovic.
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #56
country flag resilience

resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light resilience is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Joe View Post
Well that Wimbledon final was really similar to the USO final in that Serena destroyed her opponent in the 1st set, fell asleep in the 2nd and eventually won the thing, NID-fashion. Only difference is Azarenka converted a breakpoint with a Williams UE and served for the match, yet still wasn't able to close her out

Serena is prone to getting nervous on slam finals nowadays, but it says a lot that someone like Stosur (who CAN outplay Serena) pulled it out and Azarenka didn't.
resilience is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #57
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
What are you talking about? in supposedly 2011 GOAT year by Petra she has reached in slams other than Wimby QF at AO, 4r RG, 1r USO and in this 'bad' year she reached SF at AO, SF at RG, QF at OG, 4r USO and even win two premier titles on NA HC and reached SF in another snatching USO series where she never was good just because Rena's great run, Sharpies CGS and Vika's 1st slam win overshadows her overall improvement you can't said this was bad year just because she didn't win a slam in back to back years
I understand your reaction, but 'less-than-stellar' doesn't mean bad. She's #5 in the world, she obviously hasn't sucked. But she showed no sign in any of the slams this year of winning. She showed no threat of becoming the top player on the tour, or even close to it. Even the Radwanska haters (and they are legion) don;t argue Kvitova should be ranked ahead of her.

This was a disappointing year from Kvitova.

But I will offer you this. I can think of a similarly disappointing year following a first slam win. Serena Williams 2000. How'd that work out?

Last edited by Volcana : Oct 10th, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #58
Volcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by resilience View Post
it says a lot that someone like Stosur (who CAN outplay Serena) pulled it out and Azarenka didn't.
Two completely different situations though. Azarenka can break Serena's serve, but she can't hold her own. Stosur's server can be VERY hard to break.

Serena serves so well people forget se's one of the best returners in the game. When her serve isn't working, she just falls back on breaking her opponent. That doesn't work against Stosur. And while Stosur isn't the most fleet-of-foot, she's fit, so you can't run her into the ground.

And let's face it, Serena's getting old. in another couple years, she isn't going to be better than everybody else. Winning won't come so easily then.

Last edited by Volcana : Oct 10th, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #59
country flag Mynarco
Thank You For The Music

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfalsetto View Post
She will have a better career than Miss Kvitova I hope so
Outdoor HC yes...not sure about the rest
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #60
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Austria.
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote