Tennis Players Grips - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #1
country flag GOATdin0931

GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute
Tennis Players Grips

Just out of curiosity

Such as players using eastern, semi-western, western forehand grips and also backhand grips plus one handed or two.

Could be interesting to find out
GOATdin0931 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #2
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tennis Players Grips:

I know Kimiko is one of the few Eastern grippers. Arguably continental. Everybody on the tour is seemingly western/semi-western now

instargram
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who has no clue about this stuff? I've tried to understand it several times but I still cant.
Petkorazzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony. View Post
I know Kimiko is one of the few Eastern grippers. Arguably continental. Everybody on the tour is seemingly western/semi-western now
Kvitova's is pretty eastern isn't it? I'm clueless when it comes to lefty's

I know a lot of players these days use hybrid grips. Like Sharapova is between western and semi-western.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #5
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post
Kvitova's is pretty eastern isn't it? I'm clueless when it comes to lefty's

I know a lot of players these days use hybrid grips. Like Sharapova is between western and semi-western.
I wouldn't say it's that extreme

I always wish I was taught a semi-western rather than an Eastern. It's so hard to shake it now

instargram
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #6
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petkorazzi View Post
Am I the only one who has no clue about this stuff? I've tried to understand it several times but I still cant.
No, you are not!
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #7
country flag JJ all the way

JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tennis Players Grips

^ is there a way to learn it from online or does any poster have a good explanation?
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #8
country flag Temporary0369

Temporary0369 has much to be proud of Temporary0369 has much to be proud of Temporary0369 has much to be proud of Temporary0369 has much to be proud of Temporary0369 has much to be proud of Temporary0369 has much to be proud of Temporary0369 has much to be proud of Temporary0369 has much to be proud of Temporary0369 has much to be proud of Temporary0369 has much to be proud of Temporary0369 has much to be proud of

I feel like TF has started to recycle threads a lot over the past few months (and I've been reading for several years). We've had this thread like four times before. Someone is going to say Ivanovic has an eastern grip and then someone will say that she doesn't then someone will say Jankovic doesn't switch her grip between her forehand and backhand.

Also, you can check wikipedia for an explanation of grips. It's pretty easy to figure out if that's what you're wondering (grip refers to what bevel on the racquet you rest your palm on and can affect things like spin), though kind of difficult to see what grip a player uses unless you can get a close up.
Temporary0369 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #9
country flag Mynarco
Bra Vibrationer

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petkorazzi View Post
IKR
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #10
country flag Adi1987

Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future

Well for those who don't understand grips, I will try to explain it in the easiest way possible.

An eastern grip is when you hold the racquet handle like a stick.

A continental grip is when you hold the racquet handle like a hammer.

A western grip is when you hold the racquet handle like a frying pan handle.

As for the pros, Venus started her career with a full western grip, then she developed wrist problems during early 2000 and from then on switched to a semi western grip leaning more towards eastern.

Serena's grip is a full western now however during her Serena Slam days certain photo's taken from the sideways frame show her hitting a more extreme eastern grip.

Henin's grip was extreme eastern.

Hingis had a western grip.

Graf had an eastern grip.
Adi1987 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #11
country flag CatTs

CatTs has much to be proud of CatTs has much to be proud of CatTs has much to be proud of CatTs has much to be proud of CatTs has much to be proud of CatTs has much to be proud of CatTs has much to be proud of CatTs has much to be proud of CatTs has much to be proud of CatTs has much to be proud of CatTs has much to be proud of

Here you go, mates

IMHO
always, naturally
CatTs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #12
country flag smarties

smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary0369 View Post
I feel like TF has started to recycle threads a lot over the past few months (and I've been reading for several years). We've had this thread like four times before. Someone is going to say Ivanovic has an eastern grip and then someone will say that she doesn't then someone will say Jankovic doesn't switch her grip between her forehand and backhand.

Also, you can check wikipedia for an explanation of grips. It's pretty easy to figure out if that's what you're wondering (grip refers to what bevel on the racquet you rest your palm on and can affect things like spin), though kind of difficult to see what grip a player uses unless you can get a close up.
I'll start: Adi1987 said Serena has a full western forehand grip It's clearly semi western.

One trick (it's not bullet proof but it helps) is to look at the follow through. Players with continental, eastern and semi western grips will often follow through above the shoulder. Players with full western grip will very seldom do; they'll finish across their body, almost to waist level.

You might as well smile, you might as well smile cause tomorrow, you just don't know...
- Beth Orton
smarties is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote