YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title. - Page 74 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #1096
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

*ignores Acetoace*

Sigh. Can't say I'm not disappointed, but I'm proud of Maria that she finally actually fought in a match against Serena. I don't care what anyone says, this is the second-best Serena's played against Maria only behind the AO07 final

Even though Maria was serving at her best and fought like a trojan, there were things she could've done better. Didn't move anywhere near as well as yesterday, didn't return that great (esp on 2nd serves), was a bit too tentative off the ground. For me, the most encouraging part is that Maria looked so disappointed at the end - she KNOWS she could've done better. Hopefully, this defeat has the same effect as the YEC07 defeat to Justine (yes, obviously this match wasn't nearly as compettive, but it's similar in the respect that Maria probably exceeded her expectations - depressing though that is), and this produces a combined effect of giving her the confidence she can hang with Serena as well as motivating her to improve over the offseason to be even better next time she plays.

Anyway, genuinely so proud of her for what she's done this year -- I mean really WHO could've anticipated her results in 2012 would be this good this time last year? Hopefully she does some more rehab on her shoulder and improves her game even more over the offseason; if she does, she's definitely among the top contenders for RG and the AO.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #1097
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future
Re: YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

Good year Maria. Congratulation
I'm 100% sure this time last year no one think you can do like this year.
Looking forward to 2013 season
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#42
PAW Rank:#107
FITD Rank:#188.
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1098
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

The only thing that Maria needs is a lower FS percentage from Serena! It was sky high in this match and much lower in the others. Frankly, if Vika played Serena today, she would've managed to win 4 games at best.

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #1099
country flag Ksenia.
The fire still burns.

Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute Ksenia. has a reputation beyond repute

Such a great season. Fantastic clay season, FO title, AO final, silver medal (and she was a flag bearer too!), regained #1 spot, etc etc etc. There were some lows and some disappointing losses, but I was here in 2008/2009, when we were not even sure if she will ever play again, and look how far she's come. I am proud of our gurl
Ksenia. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #1100
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Congratulations Maria for this AMAZING year I'm so proud of her and the way she played this tournament obviously it would have been better if she had won it but Serena was playing really great and anyways after yesterday's win I didn't really care about today to be honest.I'm new here but I got to tell all of you Masha stans you are amazing and I'm really happy to be part of SS it's probably the best fanbase out there Hope for an even better 2013 and let's enjoy the off season!!!
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1101
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

The only thing that Maria needs to improve is the placement of her second serve, which is rather predictable! If she learns to consistently mix up her second serve, it's going to be tough to break her!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1102
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah main goal is continuing to improve her serve, moreover the variety on it. I've said it a million times but it's been an exceptional season despite Maria not playing good tennis for the vast majority. The prospects for 2013 look very good.

Hoping she can master the slide into the FH side on clay. If she does that, I can't see anyone touching her on clay.

Congratulations Maria on this wonderful season. Rest up and get ready to BRING next season.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #1103
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly really don't think it's about Maria's serve. Imo, it's gotten about as good as it's going to get this year. Serena is always going to hit a few outstanding return which Maria won't be able to do anything about, but even today she wasn't able to do it on anything close to every point, and if Maria had been at her best off the ground she would've been able to win enough rallies (when Serena hadn't smoked returns) to compensate for that.

I honestly think she should focus less on her serve this offseason than I presume she has done for the past few, and focus on the rest of her game.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1104
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jechijo View Post
The only thing that Maria needs to improve is the placement of her second serve, which is rather predictable! If she learns to consistently mix up her second serve, it's going to be tough to break her!
It's predictable, but it has more pace than the second serve of the vast majority of players. Against most players the fact that in terms of pace she practically hits two first serves makes up for the DF which already are far less frequent than they used to be. I'd say that her serve including her second serve is a weapon against 98% of the players out there except for girls like a Serena and someone like Azarenka who's returns are awesome as well.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #1105
country flag JoPova

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
I honestly really don't think it's about Maria's serve. Imo, it's gotten about as good as it's going to get this year. Serena is always going to hit a few outstanding return which Maria won't be able to do anything about, but even today she wasn't able to do it on anything close to every point, and if Maria had been at her best off the ground she would've been able to win enough rallies to compensate for that.
Her second serve on the AD side is the most predictable thing ever though..

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #1106
country flag Jack89

Jack89 is a glorious beacon of light Jack89 is a glorious beacon of light Jack89 is a glorious beacon of light Jack89 is a glorious beacon of light Jack89 is a glorious beacon of light Jack89 is a glorious beacon of light Jack89 is a glorious beacon of light Jack89 is a glorious beacon of light Jack89 is a glorious beacon of light Jack89 is a glorious beacon of light Jack89 is a glorious beacon of light

Really proud of Maria! Just glad that for the first time in a while, she actually showed up against Serena and really fought hard and stayed competitive. Hope it gives her the confidence to know that she can compete with Serena in their future matches.

Also, really happy that for the first time in quite a few years, she going into the off-season on a positive note and not on the back of some horrible loss/injury.

Anyway, like others had said, 2012 has just been an amazing year for Maria. Yeah, there a few finals I wish could have gone differently but we can't really complain about a year where she dominated on clay and completed the career grand slam.
Jack89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1107
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more than okay with this result.
The YEC has turned out to be very good. Finally beaten Azarenka on HC again, and made it somewhat competitive against Serena for the first time in four matches.

It was a fantastic season. Sure, she lost to many Finals, but she won a Slam and has beaten everyone except Serena.
The beauty of it is, Maria can still improve on so much.

She should be really proud of her year, I know I am.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #1108
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Now that the season is over I remembered how disappointed and negative we all were after the Beijing final even this thread's title was Re: WTA Championships 2012 iStanbul Mission: Win the title by not facing Rena/Vika we sure can be hard on her sometimes I'm so glad she proved us all wrong in the end...well almost but still
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #1109
country flag JoPova

Another question I have in mind.. Is it possible to consistently return Serena's FS for a woman? Can the other top girls do something about it? I mean, Azarenka is the best returner of the game and Serena still aces her so many times!

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #1110
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

For the first time in years, I believe Maria needs to work on her return game more than her serve. 0 break chances today and this was the first match of the YEC that Serena wasn't broken. I know we're talking about Serena here, but Maria's return problems went beyond great servers. Look at the match against Agi in Miami and the first set against her in the RR. And in most matches against Vika. Just two examples of weaker servers that Maria struggled against. And if you can't consistently get traction against those kinds of serves, how do you ever hope to make a dent against Serena. To beat Serena, you have to break her occasionally and get her frustrated.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote