Beijing F: Azarenka def. Sharapova 6-3, 6-1 - Page 43 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #631
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beijing F: Azarenka def. Sharapova 6-3, 6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
It's 6 straight losses and some pretty bad on HC's already. So the arrogance is totally misplaced. If it's so simple for Masha to hit Vika off the court, then why hasn't she been doing it?!

masha isn't THAT good for you guys to walk around talking like every match is in her hands, not when the results clearly show otherwise.
The gameplan on HC needs to be changed a lil bit just for that matchup.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #632
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's 6 straight losses and some pretty bad on HC's already. So the arrogance is totally misplaced. If it's so simple for Masha to hit Vika off the court, then why hasn't she been doing it?!

masha isn't THAT good for you guys to walk around talking like every match is in her hands, not when the results clearly show otherwise.
It isn't simple. It's a low percentage, high-risk gameplan that's very difficult to execute. That doesn't mean it's impossible. Unfortunately, I don't think at the moment there is any alternative to that gameplan on hardcourts against Azarenka.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #633
country flag SilverSlam
I-G-G-Y

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This just adds to my point. She doesn't play more than one way. She either wins by hitting winners, or loses by hitting UEs. Look at the stats of every HC matchup between then. I can GUARANTEE you, Maria will have, more winners, but more than double the errors. It's the way A) Maria tries to play against her, and B) really how their game styles in general matchup.

So Maria will win some, and lose some. If Maria was as good at actually hitting every blitzing groundstroke she tries to hit in this matchup in, then there'd be no competition. The fact is, she can beat Vika, easily too, but most the time, she doesn't even make the court on simple shots because she feels pressured into overhitting because Vika is a great mover and defender, and she's said this in her presser.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #634
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

The only difference between Sharapova playing on clay and hardcourt is the sliding into the backhand. That´s it. The rest is simply the surface. She makes less errors, because she has more time to set up her own shots. 5 of her last 6 titles have been on clay. It´s really not rocket science.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #635
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
The only difference between Sharapova playing on clay and hardcourt is the sliding into the backhand. That´s it. The rest is simply the surface. She makes less errors, because she has more time to set up her own shots. 5 of her last 6 titles have been on clay. It´s really not rocket science.
Yes and no. Having watched her closely over the past years (obviously) it is clearly evident that she has added FAR more topspin to her forehand particularly this year. I think that she and Thomas sat down at the start of the year - she said she wanted the French - and they worked on developing the safety and reliability of that shot. There has been way more margin for error on her forehand side than ever before. BUT - on hardcourts, that 'reliable' shot isn't troubling Azarenka at all, so she inevitably tries to revert to the lasso ballbash action...hence the errors etc..
Lachy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #636
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipsterPova View Post
This just adds to my point. She doesn't play more than one way. She either wins by hitting winners, or loses by hitting UEs. Look at the stats of every HC matchup between then. I can GUARANTEE you, Maria will have, more winners, but more than double the errors. It's the way A) Maria tries to play against her, and B) really how their game styles in general matchup.

So Maria will win some, and lose some. If Maria was as good at actually hitting every blitzing groundstroke she tries to hit in this matchup in, then there'd be no competition. The fact is, she can beat Vika, easily too, but most the time, she doesn't even make the court on simple shots because she feels pressured into overhitting because Vika is a great mover and defender, and she's said this in her presser.
Listen to your fellow Mashafans. Maria hitting more winners, don't mean squat..if she's making 5 errors for every winner. Plus basically these winners aren't even translating into GAMES, because 3 and 1 scoreline when Maria had what, 30+ winners?! Means that her game isn't effective..so the match ISN'T in her hands.

If she was losing 5 and 6 or something, then you can say: a point here, a point there.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #637
country flag Tennisation

Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachy View Post
It isn't simple. It's a low percentage, high-risk gameplan that's very difficult to execute. That doesn't mean it's impossible. Unfortunately, I don't think at the moment there is any alternative to that gameplan on hardcourts against Azarenka.
That's like saying a ball basher like Mirza could have one of those good days and blast winners everywhere.
Tennisation is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #638
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Kvitova fans wanting to take part of Vika's success.

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #639
country flag Rest Maria!

Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
Well their match on blue clay in NYC was closer than on other blue surfaces, so I think that is indeed true. Still, Azarenka won that one.
Rest Maria! is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #640
spartanfan

spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Serious Question: Is Azarenka vs. Sharapova the best COMPETITIVE rivalry currently in the top 10? I say COMPETITIVE because their h2h isn't completely lop-sided in favor of one player. And by rivalry I mean where two players are actually in contention for winning big titles. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #641
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselto View Post
Well their match on blue clay in NYC was closer than on other blue surfaces, so I think that is indeed true. Still, Azarenka won that one.
Definitely, Maria has more chances to defeat Vika in NYC than anywhere else on HC IMO. The others surfaces, Vika just bring the worst out of her while on this particular HC(quite slow) Maria can take the ball where she likes most of the time the rebound is pretty high it really became blue clay over the years but I'm not complaining.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #642
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

imagine if that chick had actually WON.

I will never foret you SGT. TIMMYKINZ! You are one of a kind. When you come back pretend that you're a fan of "it" and the mods will look the other way.
HRHoliviasmith is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #643
country flag J4m3ka

J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future

Maria is taking these beat downs on HC against Vika because she is simply playing brainless. Her shot selection seems to go down the drain and she tries to hit the winner at a stupid point in the rally. Not only that, but the way she missed that floater on SP would never happen against anyone not called Serena or Victoria.

I think it has more to do with the psychological aspect rather than the tennis match up (Azarenka is a slightly difficult match up for her on HC, but definitely no more difficult than Clijsters who she'd go toe to toe with years ago). Maria's ground strokes are technically sound and she should be able to stay in rallies much better than she currently is against Azarenka. Maria realised that all she needed to do was rally deep to the Azarenka FH late in the first set and opened up an opportunity for herself - before flopping on that SP and the rest of the match.

TL;DR: Maria needs a psychologist for 2013.
"But every sport improves dramatically every three-to-five years, and I think we've see that in the sport of tennis. These guys just keep getting better and better. There's no comparison between what guys are doing now to 10 years ago"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Agassi
"Listen, I could sit here and tell you that I'm the best of the best, but unfortunately, the best get better. That's just how it is. Speed, athleticism, change in technology, and why people don't come to the net anymore because of the angles that are created. It's a whole different set of circumstances out there"
J4m3ka is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #644
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanfan View Post
Serious Question: Is Azarenka vs. Sharapova the best COMPETITIVE rivalry currently in the top 10? I say COMPETITIVE because their h2h isn't completely lop-sided in favor of one player. And by rivalry I mean where two players are actually in contention for winning big titles. Any thoughts?
I'm not sure it is, really. The overall head-to-head is pretty even, but the recent h2h is all Vika, and it's really lopsided in finals.

It could be, if Masha gets it together.

Petra is having a bit of a sophomore slump, but she's proven she can get into this equation if she starts to play again.

IMHO, the best thing would be if Vika could kick it up a notch and give Serena a run for her money. I think she can. She doesn't have the athleticism of the Blonde Virgin of Moscow or St. Kim, the last two players who could run with the Big Girl (I speak in terms of physical presence, not a crack about size) but she is mentally tougher and far meaner than either of those two. I think she can repeat their pattern of being the whipping girl early own, then achieving short-term parity or near-parity later in her career. (Although unlike Lena or Kim, Vika might be able to be the Serena of her era).
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #645
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanfan View Post
It's not competitive at all...since most of the meetings are gonna be on HC AND in finals, well it's receipt for disaster for Maria.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread