Worst blown opportunity at RG for Hingis? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WHICH ONE

1997 27 34.18%
1998 4 5.06%
1999 45 56.96%
2000 3 3.80%
2001 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #31
country flag Povin
postcyber

Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future Povin has a brilliant future
Re: Worst blown opportunity at RG for Hingis?

If only Martina won RG in 1997.. At least she got a 1998 Grand Slam in doubles. Still legend!
Povin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #32
country flag mauresmofan

mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes she was close in 99 but in her rise to the top Hingis didn't have to conquer Graf in order to win her Slams or be number 1 as Graf was badly injured and out of the game so therefore when Steffi did return to the game and get her game back together she was the type of player Hingis had enormous trouble with. Mentally she was incredibly strong and not afraid of Hingis (this is huge), she had virtually no weakness in her game and if she did she covered it up with her movement - again another aspect that Hingis wasn't used to - someone who could blaze across the court and turn defense in offense very very quickly plus that forehand which had consistency, power and accuracy (hands down for me the greatest single shot the womens game has ever seen).

Hingis was quite lazy in terms of her work ethic whereas Graf was an absolute trojan workhorse on the practice court and this has got to have occurred to both Graf and Gunthard in 99 - that if the match went a long distance that Graf would have a massive advantage and so it came to pass as Hingis wilted so badly from around 5-5 in the second set. All you have to do is look at that 5-4 game where Hingis served for the match. Graf gave her nothing, she worked every point especially that point at 15-15 and that game for me summed up Steffi and what she was made of.

I feel that really 97 was the biggest blown opportunity for Hingis as she was a better player than Majoli had all the momentum going into the match and I still don't understand how she came out and was so flat.

Last edited by mauresmofan : Oct 8th, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
mauresmofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #33
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povin View Post
If only Martina won RG in 1997.. At least she got a 1998 Grand Slam in doubles. Still legend!
her legendary status is seriously in trouble after what happened this summer.

The Fact that she's never won RG, despite all these chances should be very painful for her fans, it makes her achievements look less great than they actually are

Worst blown opportutinity - match vs Majoli, because it's like Dementieva losing to Myskina.

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #34
country flag Pops Maellard
Hot Messes Need Love

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

'97 and '99 but I voted '97.

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #35
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

1999, she was injured in the 1997 final.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #36
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post

The Fact that she's never won RG, despite all these chances should be very painful for her fans, it makes her achievements look less great than they actually are

Worst blown opportutinity - match vs Majoli, because it's like Dementieva losing to Myskina.
Please, Sharapova is local compared to Hingis.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #37
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

Ifs, buts, coulda, shoulda, woulda. The worst type of thoughts anyone can have.
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #38
barmaid

barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future

Worst was 1999 of course, changed her whole career, we all know that, the world knows that now finally put it to bed!

Barmaid
barmaid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #39
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

SharaBBBova's achievements have absolutely no impact on Legend's perpetual relevance. Also, Peak Myskina >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Peak Dementieva so whatever.
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #40
country flag Linguae^

Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future

Imagine Hingis having the Career Slam, it does sound weird. Sharapova should be eternally happy for achieving that at 25, with 'only' 4 Slams. Hingis was so close, but had she deserved it, she would have done it, right? Or no?
Linguae^ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #41
country flag DefyingGravity

DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by égalité View Post
SharaBBBova's achievements have absolutely no impact on Legend's perpetual relevance. Also, Peak Myskina >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Peak Dementieva so whatever.
Please tell me that you're joking. Elena's career is seriously so much better than Myskina's.
The Upstarts: Muguruza, Garcia
The Legends: Seles (9), Clijsters (4), Davenport (3), Testud
DefyingGravity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #42
country flag Sammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity View Post
Please tell me that you're joking. Elena's career is seriously so much better than Myskina's.
If it's better than Myskina's then it's also better than Ivanovic's

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #43
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Please, Sharapova is local compared to Hingis.

With her talent, H2H vs top players and number of different titles she must have competed with Venus or Henin in Slam count, but she just managed to be slightly better than Clijsters or ASV.

Sharapova is definitely already slightly ahead of Hingis, just because Carrer GS is more than 1 Slam if we speak about achievements . It's much tougher to complete CGS than win 1 extra Slam. (Nadal and Federer will confirm it)

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #44
country flag Sammo

Quote:

With her talent, H2H vs top players and number of different titles she must have competed with Venus or Henin in Slam count, but she just managed to be slightly better than Clijsters or ASV.

Sharapova is definitely already slightly ahead of Hingis, just because Carrer GS is more than 1 Slam if we speak about achievements . It's much tougher to complete CGS than win 1 extra Slam. (Nadal and Federer will confirm it)
Maybe, but Hingis' 20 extra titles, 210 weeks at number one, more Tier I's, better H2H vs the other greats, excellent doubles career compared to a non-existing one, the fact that most tennis analysts would agree that Hingis was a better player than Sharapova, and not winning a Slam final against Errani still put her ahead in terms of greatness, or that's what most people think here

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #45
country flag Martian Jeza
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect

Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute

1999 for sure : was in the match 'till the incident with the umpire : where the ball was IN and not OUT as pointed the umpire : then Martina completely lost the plot. Her defeat against Majoli, I still wonder how she could lose against such a player in her prime in straight sets Very bad day, I guess

Loads will accept being deceived and being whores of the system : a few others with ethics and values decided to be Free Human beings

BNP Paribas, JP Morgan, Lagardere are criminals : WAKE UP !
Martian Jeza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote