China Open SF: Sharapova defeats Li 6-4 6-0 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #46
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: China Open SF: Sharapova defeats Li 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy-Na View Post
vs Kvitova as well.
I think it's different against Kvitova because Maria often plays down the middle against her because she HAS to, because she's on the defensive quite a bit in their matches - but when she gets an opportunity to pounce on a short ball against Kvitova, Maria usually buries it into the corner for a winner. Whereas against Li, even when she gets an opportunity to hit a short ball into the corners, she often chooses to hit it down the middle anyway, probably because she was burnt by Li's crosscourt angles so many times in their 2009-11 matches.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #47
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly a great match but Im super happy Maria got the win. The telling factor was Maria's willingness to fight for everything and the real lack of fight from Li.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #48
country flag Si_Hi

Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
there are 4 Majors,Olympics , JEC, 9 Tier 1 in WTA, Masha has already won 4 diff Majors, JEC, Olympic medal, 7 different Tier 1

If Masha wins Beijing she will be just one step to winning everything in women's tennis
She hasn't won Miami, Olympics, Madrid/Berlin. Still very impressive, but prolly because she's still around when her main rivals in the earlier time are nearly all gone. She's 10-24 against Serena, Justine, Kim and Amelie.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #49
beecharmer

beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
I think it's different against Kvitova because Maria often plays down the middle against her because she HAS to, because she's on the defensive quite a bit in their matches - but when she gets an opportunity to pounce on a short ball against Kvitova, Maria usually buries it into the corner for a winner. Whereas against Li, even when she gets an opportunity to hit a short ball into the corners, she often chooses to hit it down the middle anyway, probably because she was burnt by Li's crosscourt angles so many times in their 2009-11 matches.
I sort of disagree here, I think it's the other way around. I think Maria is more fearful of Kvitova's shots if she gives her the angles. With Li, Li's heavier weight of shot and multiple 'deep to the centre' groundies really hampers Maria and Li then hits a shorter angle to the space for a winner. Each match I see between the two I expect Li to win in straights, but I guess Maria is much better at hanging tough and waiting for Li to go off the boil.
beecharmer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #50
country flag DragonFlame
Team WTAworld

DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute

Na is so up and down it's getting rediculous. She's really got to get used to the changes in her game, you can see that. I just expected a bit more from her at this tournie. Now on to YEC and then a very good off-season. She needs to work all the kinks, adjust to her new game/coach and dominate in australia.

Elena, thank you for all the joy you gave me, you will always remain in my mind.
Intelligence Officer of the SS Dementieva
DragonFlame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #51
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

I'm so happy with this result

Maria didn't play her best, but Li always brings out the worst in her

But I can't believe she's facing Vika again Inevitable loss, but still a good tourney
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #52
country flag BH both wings

BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of

Strangely, Li was a little bit better in the first set than Sharapova, who was basically saved by her serve. As soon as Li was getting frustrated by her own inability to win big points, all Sharapova had to do was pushing the ball back. Kind of sad, I remember a time when Li was hungry and able to up her game incredibly on big points ...
BH both wings is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #53
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She hasn't won Miami, Olympics, Madrid/Berlin. Still very impressive, but prolly because she's still around when her main rivals in the earlier time are nearly all gone. She's 10-24 against Serena, Justine, Kim and Amelie
Still won YEC and Wimbledon playing vs Serena, USO playing vs Justin and Amelie, AO vs Justine. San Diego vs Clijsters, Olympic medal after beating Clijsters

She has enough titles won beating best players, players with positive H2H vs Masha.

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #54
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't expecting Maria to push her way to victory against Na but I suppose scrambling is the safest tactic she can employ against her. Playing like this she will obviously get liquidated by Azarenka though.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #55
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break My Rapture View Post
I wasn't expecting Maria to push her way to victory against Na but I suppose scrambling is the safest tactic she can employ against her. Playing like this she will obviously get liquidated by Azarenka though.
When was the last time Maria ever pushed against Vika anyway? Li is obviously hitting hard enough to force Maria to play a safe tennis, this is not Vika's weight of shot that Maria had to deal with earlier.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #56
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
When was the last time Maria ever pushed against Vika anyway? Li is obviously hitting hard enough to force Maria to play a safe tennis, this is not Vika's weight of shot that Maria had to deal with earlier.
it's Li capacity to hit increadible winners after Masha's potential winners that makes Masha play a bit passive, it's tactics

Masha-Vika is abolutely another match-up, in which Masha should go for her winners

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #57
country flag Si_Hi

Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by beecharmer View Post
I sort of disagree here, I think it's the other way around. I think Maria is more fearful of Kvitova's shots if she gives her the angles. With Li, Li's heavier weight of shot and multiple 'deep to the centre' groundies really hampers Maria and Li then hits a shorter angle to the space for a winner. Each match I see between the two I expect Li to win in straights, but I guess Maria is much better at hanging tough and waiting for Li to go off the boil.
I think Sharapova plays slightly more conservatively against Li. Her game is rather offensive than defensive when she plays kvitova since kvitova can barely move if sharapova gets a chance to hit back a big shot, while against Li her game plan is more aiming at keeping the rallies longer and waiting for Li to make errors herself.

Last edited by Si_Hi : Oct 6th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Si_Hi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #58
FORZA SARITA

FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute

well deserved for Na and chinese who fixed the draw for let her qualify for YEC
FORZA SARITA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #59
country flag Si_Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Still won YEC and Wimbledon playing vs Serena, USO playing vs Justin and Amelie, AO vs Justine. San Diego vs Clijsters, Olympic medal after beating Clijsters

She has enough titles won beating best players, players with positive H2H vs Masha.
Well, no one denies that maria's an outstanding player. If she couldn't pull out a win against them, what's the difference between her and Ivanovic. It's just that she lost way more times in bigger tournaments to those players than she won.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #60
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

very disappointed by na.

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote