Who are the most important players for the tour worldwide? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #16
country flag thegreendestiny

thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who are the most important players for the tour worldwide?

Serena an Li only have a few more years unfortunately. I am hoping for a Pavlyuchenkova-Azarenka-Kvitova trinity to be the future of WTA after Sharapova becomes irrelevant.

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #17
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Maria and Serena. Caro is pretty popular but she needs to get her results up. I think it's important to have Li at the top too but the WTA really need to begin to market Vika and Petra.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #18
country flag Miracle Worker

Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute

Serena - the best player in last decade (maybe not better than others in particular years (e.g. Justine in 2006, but still)
Maria - She's the WTA's face in showbiz.
Li - because of China
Victoria - she's #1 and she's indisputable #1
Kimiko Date Krumm, Tomas Berdych, Michail Youzhny, Daniel Brands
Elena Dementieva, Julia Cohen, Anna Chakvetadze
Miracle Worker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #19
country flag romismak

romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post
Williams and Sharapova are the world wide most famous athlets for this sport.

Ivanovic is pretty popular too, but IMO Caroline promoted tennis when she was world n°1 like none did before her (for once let out the hate for her game etc.) but she really spent a lot of time for the WTA making promotions and advertising. She's really well known out of the world of tennis too and despite all the critics she's done a lot for the wta.
Agree with you, BTW Serena and Maria are most popular female athletes in any sport, there is no other female sport that can compare with WTA, even when you look on most earning athletes - i think like 8,9 from top 10 were tennis players.

About Caroline - yes she did a great job promoting WTA, when she was No.1 she also signed a lot of deals and i think right now she is 4th best earning after Maria, Li, Serena - if she would have results - i mean at least top 5 i would say she is more important than Li - honestly she is not good looking she is not young, she isn´t even that good, won RG, played AO F but that´s it, just ordinary top 10 player also only for last 2 yeaers-her marketing power is purely on China.

I would say Caro is 4th most important after Maria,Serna, Li even with those mediocre resulst in 2012...
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #20
country flag romismak

romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshazza View Post
Maria and Serena. Caro is pretty popular but she needs to get her results up. I think it's important to have Li at the top too but the WTA really need to begin to market Vika and Petra.
Agree that Vika and Pera should be more promoted, but i think even if they will have better resulst in next years than CAro - she will be more popular than both of them

Caro alredy was No.1 pretty long and is pretty marketable - good looking, smiling, good english and so on

Vika - well she is Vika, has her own style, not most markatable person out there, she´s been No.1 basically since January and i am sure not so many people know here outside tennis world

Petra-she also didn´t backup her 2011 resulst this year, but her problems are even bigger at this poitn-bad english + she is pretty humble, shy girl

It is hard for WTA to do magic with such characters, not everybody is Sharapova that can go in front of paparazzis, make showbiz, sign deals, but WTA should definitely promote some younger top players.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #21
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui. View Post
You can't ever disregard Venus because she and Serena will always be seen as the Williams Sisters. That sold and that still sells
Agree. When people visit a tournament they want to see the Williams-sisters - weather it's Serena or Venus

And people on the street that are not tennis fans only know the Williams-sisters anyway
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #22
country flag Coconut91

Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendestiny View Post
Serena an Li only have a few more years unfortunately. I am hoping for a Pavlyuchenkova-Azarenka-Kvitova trinity to be the future of WTA after Sharapova becomes irrelevant.
Ohhh man, tell me about it. That'd be great.
Coconut91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #23
country flag PMBH

PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future

1. Serena
2. Caro
3. Sharapova
4. Li Na
5. ???????
PMBH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #24
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendestiny View Post
Hm.. we should get used to it that players play in their mid to late 30ies
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #25
country flag Jack.

Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute Jack. has a reputation beyond repute

Serena and Sharapova definitely. I mean just their names alone and people who don't regularly watch tennis know who they are. Li is bringing in the Chinese market without a doubt and Sam is doing a good job down under. (she'd do a better job if she could win a match in her home county though )
Jack. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #26
country flag Cp6uja

Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute

1. Sharapova, Serena
2. Li Na, Ivanovic, Venus
3. Wozniacki, Azarenka
4. Kvitova, Stosur, Radwanska
5. Kuznetsova, Jankovic, Kerber, Kirilenko, Hantuchova
6. Bartoli, Errani, Schiavone, Mirza, Zheng, Lisicki
etc

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)
Cp6uja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #27
country flag lee station

lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future lee station has a brilliant future

typically, the people from the street will say sharapova.

but to me, the williamses are more important
lee station is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #28
country flag JamieOwen3

JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute

Maria Serena and Li are the most right now, followed by Vee *who would be with the other 3 if she was able to play more* Ana and Vika who Vika will be right up there with the top 3 soon. Woz was on her way there before her little slump, if she can somehow win a slam I think she'll be there with Vika.
Maria Sharapova Venus & Serena Martina Hingis Anna Kournikova Monica Seles Ana Ivanovic Victoria Azarenka Jelena Dokic Laura Robson Eugenie Bouchard Heather Watson Elena Baltacha R.I.P Petra Kvitova Donna Vekic

Official Siberian Death Stare Of The Maria Mafia
Andy Murray 2013 Wimbledon Champion. @TheGrandSlams
JamieOwen3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #29
WowWow
mhmmm

WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute

How is Ivanovic important?
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #30
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

Sharapova, Serena and Li Na because of the Chinese market. The rest is pretty much irrelevant worldwide
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote