Matches where players retired to prevent beatdowns? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #61
country flag hingisGOAT

hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Matches where players retired to prevent beatdowns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyders76 View Post
i'm pretty sure serena was up 6-0 3-0 when she injured herself, lost 9 games in a row and retired, not quite the spin you put on it
Incorrect. Serena won the first set 6-0 but never had a lead in the second set by more than 1 game. Hingis completely turned the match around by extending the rallies and running Serena round. Brilliant match from her. Serena's "injury" never materialized into anything; she was moving better than ever and looked perfectly healthy the rest of the USO season.
In tennis history, no top player has suffered more beat-downs in big matches than Vulturepova T1 R16 2-6 1-6 AM | T1 SF0-6 0-6 LD | T1 F 3-6 1-6 MH | AO F 1-6 2-6 SW | T1 R16 1-6 1-6 SW | RG SF 1-6 1-6 AI | Wimbledon SF 2-6 2-6 VW | T1 QF 2-6 2-6 VW | T1 F 4-6 1-6 VA | T1 QF 1-6 3-6 SW | T1 F 1-6 4-6 VA | T1 SF 1-6 2-6 Woz | AO F 3-6 0-6 VA | T1 F 2-6 3-6 VA | T1 QF 1-6 3-6 SW | Olympics F 0-6 1-6 SW | T1 F 3-6 1-6 VA
hingisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #62
MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkutsaar View Post
The consensus in this thread seems to be that it is ignoble to quit when suffering a beating. There is obviously a mental element in this sport and such factor varies in every player as we are all unique. If one believes one cannot win then ergo one will not win. The most startlingly example of this hypothesis has to be the 1988 FO finals. Prior to the match in an interview Natalia Zvereva averred she had no chance against Steffi Graf. And lo and behold not only was it 6-0, 6-0 for Steffi, but this match lasted only 32 minutes- I repeat 32 minutes less time than an average competitive set minus even a tie breaker. Natalia won only 14 points in toto.

So I suggest it is fairer to the spectators that a player does retire when she is not mentally there and the withdrawal is as legitimate as say a broken ankle. I recall in a men’s 2nd round match in either the ’11 or ’10 AO (I forget which) where Tipsarevic did not convert several MPS during the 4th set, and his opponent (a Spaniard I think Verdasco) forced a tie-breaker. From then on Tipsarevic obviously mentally beaten, offered no competition. He did not attempt to return any of Verdasco’s serves nor did he attempt to win any points on his own serve as he lost the 4th set tie breaker 7-0 and the fifth set 6-0. BTW that set was not a golden set as Verdasco inexplicitly double faulted some serves- maybe purposely to antagonize his opponent further.

The bottom line is that I think Kerber’s withdrawal of a match she was not going to win is a more admirable decision than continuing to play and offer only token competition.
I am so sorry but for a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE you simply don't quit......if everyone in life threw in the towel when thing's aren't going their way or they are mentally not in it, then the world would probably be over. It's part of their job to COMPETE, once they make the choice to step on the court then it's game on. Though i see the point in theory, I find it utterly ridiculous that the idea is even mentioned in this context. The mental aspect as well as physical aspect are part of what makes a strong top player, so if you lack that then it is you who lose out.
New Breed: Maria,Anastasia Myskina,Nicole,Ana,Tatiana Golovin,Jelena J,Iveta Benesova,Olga Poutchkova,Camille Pin,Maria Kirilenko,Alonya Bondarenko,Meilen Tu,Sania Mirza,Rezai,Ashley H,Tataina Poutchek,Sandra Kloesel,Klara Z,Mirjana Lucic,Dominka Cibulkova,Emauelle Gagliardi,Jelena Kostanic,Iroda,Martina Sucha,Raluca Olaru,Kveta,Marta D,Bethanie,Bychkova

Lilia Osterloh,Viktoriya Kutuzova,Yurika Sema,Anastasia Pivavrova(?),Stanislava Hrozenska,Marie-Eve,Zsofia,Angelika Roesch,Sunitha Rao,Anne Keothavang,Olivia Sanchez,Angela Haynes,Alex S,Jelena Dokic,Rosana De Los Rios,Kristina Brandi,Eva Fislova,Lindsay Lee

Elena Makarova,Anna K, Capriati,Lindsay,Henrieta Nagyova,Anca Barna,Petra Mandula,Jana Kandarr,
MakarovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #63
MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Hmm . . an interesting viewpoint. Well explained too. I see your point but . . .I dunno . .I guess I expect any top player to keep believing that they can at least get on the board. Unless they started the match feeling less than healthy but thinking that they'd play through it.
So because you don't think you can win it's okay to run away and quit???
New Breed: Maria,Anastasia Myskina,Nicole,Ana,Tatiana Golovin,Jelena J,Iveta Benesova,Olga Poutchkova,Camille Pin,Maria Kirilenko,Alonya Bondarenko,Meilen Tu,Sania Mirza,Rezai,Ashley H,Tataina Poutchek,Sandra Kloesel,Klara Z,Mirjana Lucic,Dominka Cibulkova,Emauelle Gagliardi,Jelena Kostanic,Iroda,Martina Sucha,Raluca Olaru,Kveta,Marta D,Bethanie,Bychkova

Lilia Osterloh,Viktoriya Kutuzova,Yurika Sema,Anastasia Pivavrova(?),Stanislava Hrozenska,Marie-Eve,Zsofia,Angelika Roesch,Sunitha Rao,Anne Keothavang,Olivia Sanchez,Angela Haynes,Alex S,Jelena Dokic,Rosana De Los Rios,Kristina Brandi,Eva Fislova,Lindsay Lee

Elena Makarova,Anna K, Capriati,Lindsay,Henrieta Nagyova,Anca Barna,Petra Mandula,Jana Kandarr,
MakarovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote