Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1 - Page 30 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #436
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
I don't think it can be made any plainer and clearer than that.

But let's just wait and see if he gets it now.
Maybe it just takes 2 days and 445 posts, and 50 repeats before it sinks in.
That's simply not remotely the case, you have been attacking the legitimacy of her speech as if that is relevant, when you do that you're not arguing the content of her response but the person's right to make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas View Post
What else do a tennis player wish for! That's every players dream. Anything possible it's just a game' not like she wants to be president !
Yes, momma! Teach these basic girls the meaning of context!
Nicolás89 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #437
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

The problem for Jankovic, Safina and to an extent Wozniacki, is that they expected the number 1 position to validate them. For every other champion it is the opposite. You have to validate the number 1 positon by winning big tournments like Majors.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #438
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matías. View Post
That's not what has happenned, you all have been challenging her legitimate dicision to speak and say whatever she feels like saying.
And you're challenging our legitimate decision to speak and challenge whatever she feels like saying.

JN is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #439
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
And you're challenging our legitimate decision to speak and challenge whatever she feels like saying.
Quote or it didn't happen.

Quote:
What else do a tennis player wish for! That's every players dream. Anything possible it's just a game' not like she wants to be president !
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #440
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote or it didn't happen.
I didn't see any quotes from you before you said what "we" are doing. All you're in here doing is bitching and moaning about people whom you disagree with exercising their rights as members of this forum.

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #441
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesGOAT View Post
You can say what you want but if you say something that makes you look an ass you will be treated as such. She isnt in the public eye anymore, she isnt a professional athlete any longer, she certainly isnt some big celebrity, she does not have to answer any question she doesnt want to or doesnt have a suitable answer for.

Her talking as if Azarenka's #1 ranking is being dissed is a stupid statement on her part since this is not the case. Even Serena fans in this thread almost all agree Azarenka deseves to be ranked #1. Now people do say Serena is the best player, not Azarenka, but the #1 ranking even when deserved, does not always equate to being the best player, the two dont go hand in hand neccessarily. Everyone realizes this except apparently someone as dumb as Safina, who unlike Azarenka was never regarded as even a worthy #1, let alone being close to the best player except maybe in her deluded mind.
Another good post that embraces the essential reasoning behind the criticisms.
Quote:
That's simply not remotely the case, you have been attacking the legitimacy of her speech as if that is relevant, when you do that you're not arguing the content of her response but the person's right to make one.
She is only partially correct in her analysis. So of course I will question the legitimacy of her answer.
She is 3 years too late in her arguments, in comparing her #1 status to Azarenka's (when nothing about them is even remotely similar), and then she caps it all off with an unnecessary challenge to Serena.
Her answer was simply illogical, given that Serena's current situation, and scheduling, were driven by her health issues. Why in the world can you not see these facts?

Now you can scoff all you want about whether Serena played enough this year or not, but the majority of reasonable and logical fans understand that Serena's year has been miraculous. The girl nearly died, and people are saying that she hasn't played enough.
Now, seriously...
How much sense that that make?
You can also pretend that Safina has a valid point to make as well. But she clearly comes off bitter over her slamless #1 status than anything else. And was equally clearly reacting to the question 'angrily', rather than reasonably, factually, and logically.
That is where my criticism of her statements originate.
SERENA: "I hate losing more than I love winning" | RVD: Knowledge(able)…?- In issues researched that interests me and affect my life directly. | Understand(ing)…?- Many subjects & topics in general; with an unquenchable thirst and open mind to learn more. | Experienced…?- In courses of study, and adversities faced. | Racism…?- Living it everyday; experiencing it’s pain in every way; knowing it’ll never go away; and fully understand the futility of arguing it’s ‘evils’ with 'the ignorant' more than I could possibly say.
RVD is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #442
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Safina's right. Serena DOESN'T deserve the number one ranking. It doesn't just go to the best player.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #443
country flag Nicolás89

Quote:
I didn't see any quotes from you before you said what "we" are doing. All you're in here doing is bitching and moaning about people whom you disagree with exercising their rights as members of this forum.
Whatever you say but I'm not in any case banning you so to speak from posting whatever the heck you think you are rightfully defending, so I would like you to not put untruthful posts about me and things I have not said / done.

Quote:
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #444
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
Safina's right. Serena DOESN'T deserve the number one ranking. It doesn't just go to the best player.
Who told Safina Serena deserved the #1?

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #445
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Whatever you say but I'm not in any case banning you so to speak from posting whatever the heck you think you are rightfully defending, so I would like you to not put untruthful posts about me and things I have not said / done.
However, JN has a valid point.

Rather than criticize everyone who you don't agree with, simply post a well-opinionated comment and leave it at that?
Why all of the unnecessary challenges, a la Safina-style, when you can just as easily make your argument known and move on?
SERENA: "I hate losing more than I love winning" | RVD: Knowledge(able)…?- In issues researched that interests me and affect my life directly. | Understand(ing)…?- Many subjects & topics in general; with an unquenchable thirst and open mind to learn more. | Experienced…?- In courses of study, and adversities faced. | Racism…?- Living it everyday; experiencing it’s pain in every way; knowing it’ll never go away; and fully understand the futility of arguing it’s ‘evils’ with 'the ignorant' more than I could possibly say.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #446
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
And the same goes for "we" and what Safina said. Serena nor any one else has claimed she should have the #1 ranking. Period.

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #447
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Safina's partly right, Vika's played very well this year and certainly has the kind of results to back up this position. Then again it's doubtful if Safina's the right person to make comments like this. Time she Jankovic and Wozniacki were no 1, oh well.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #448
country flag RVD

Quote:
And the same goes for "we" and what Safina said. Serena nor any one else has claimed she should have the #1 ranking. Period.
It's strange that so many of the usually intelligent posters are also missing this crucial point.

No one in the Serena camp is saying that Serena deserves the #1 ranking.
Personally, I'll only give a shit, IF & WHEN she gets there. Otherwise, as long as she keeps collecting slam titles, it's all good.
Hell, if she only plays the slams and wins them all, I'm still fine with that.
That fact that she is still out there competing at an unbelievable level at her age is compelling and fascinating for an athlete, regardless of the sport.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #449
country flag Nicolás89

Quote:
She is only partially correct in her analysis. So of course I will question the legitimacy of her answer.
She is 3 years too late in her arguments, in comparing her #1 status to Azarenka's (when nothing about them is even remotely similar), and then she caps it all off with an unnecessary challenge to Serena.
Her answer was simply illogical, given that Serena's current situation, and scheduling, were driven by her health issues. Why in the world can you not see these facts?

Now you can scoff all you want about whether Serena played enough this year or not, but the majority of reasonable and logical fans understand that Serena's year has been miraculous. The girl nearly died, and people are saying that she hasn't played enough.
Now, seriously...
How much sense that that make?
You can also pretend that Safina has a valid point to make as well. But she clearly comes off bitter over her slamless #1 status than anything else. And was equally clearly reacting to the question 'angrily', rather than reasonably, factually, and logically.
That is where my criticism of her statements originate.
On a matter that has been proven so many times to be so subjective like the number 1 player / best player in the world, how can you say that anyone is right or wrong!? Even more, if you start from the basis that you think the person in question said something illogical how can you consider her response to be partially correct at the same time!? Also if I would take part in your sentiments and admit that Safina made those comments out of resentment I would automatically think her whole speech is wrong and since we can all agree that the discussion about the number 1 player is subjective there is no right or wrong, hence the contradiction I have been trying to expose.

Quote:
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #450
country flag Nicolás89

Quote:
Please don't act all offended because I'm generalizing, you obviously can see the context of me talking about the fans posting in this thread / responding to my posts. About the second point I have never said the opposite.

Quote:
It's strange that so many of the usually intelligent posters are also missing this crucial point.

No one in the Serena camp is saying that Serena deserves the #1 ranking.
Personally, I'll only give a shit, IF & WHEN she gets there. Otherwise, as long as she keeps collecting slam titles, it's all good.
Hell, if she only plays the slams and wins them all, I'm still fine with that.
That fact that she is still out there competing at an unbelievable level at her age is compelling and fascinating for an athlete, regardless of the sport.
I have never said you think she deserves the number 1 ranking which I find it odd for once, considering all the indicators proving she is the best player.

Quote:
Closed Thread