Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1 - Page 29 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #421
country flag Si_Hi

Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of Si_Hi has much to be proud of
Wait and see who's the no.1 after Roland Garros next year

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free
Advertisement

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #422
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Good post.
Nice to see that apparently there are still some reasonable posters in GM left.
It's really nice to see you admire another poster being reasonable since that's a quality you don't possess. Maybe swimlife's post will inspire you Matt? I'm excited for you!!

harloo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #423
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesGOAT View Post
Well then thats just too bad. When someone wins Wimbledon, U.S Open, Olympic Gold in the same year and nobody else has won more than 1 title of that magnitude for the year, and that same player is 6-0 vs the top 2 ranked players that year, that person will be considered the best player in the World and rightfully so, whether they deserve the #1 ranking or not. If Safina thinks that shouldnt be then she is living in a fantasy World that she needs to get out of, the same one she was leaving in when she said something like "to be #1 is to be remembered forever, slam winners come and go". Azarenka I am sure knows Serena is considered the best and will be until she starts winning as many recent major titles and beating Serena when they play, it probably bothers Safina way more than does it does Azarenka. Atleast people arent saying she is an unworthy #1 ranked player like Safina, I am sure she takes satisfaction in that, even if people know she isnt the best player, they atleast consider her worthy of being ranked #1, which they didnt for Safina and Wozniacki, and she can smile over the major title they didnt win. Best player is obviously the next step, and one she hasnt taken yet.
Quoted for truth.

It's been literally years since Safina was #1 and she's still responding to this question like Azarenka's current situation is parallel to her experience when that's not the case at all. The media and fans criticized Safina because she was a slamless #1 who folded like a cheap lawn chair in the latter stages of a Grand Slam.

Regardless how sympathetic some fans were to Safina she needed to put her big girl panties on and step up. All of the greats had to deal with getting the Grand Slam monkey off their backs. Lindsay even talked about how a top player had to get their first Grand Slam win to solidify their position and while stressful it was just a requirement to be considered amongst the best.

Azarenka won the AO, did well at the French, got deep at Wimbledon, and almost won the USO. She has proven her worth and consistency as the current #1 player which is the reason nobody questions her ranking. Safina never stepped up to the plate when it mattered and for that alone her brief stint at #1 will be forgotten.

Last edited by harloo : Oct 6th, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
harloo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #424
country flag Aaron.
She's coming for your faves wigs

Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim4life227 View Post
First off, the 1R loss which everyone claims is why she's not #1, isn't the sole reason why she isn't #1. Serena could have had a *respectable run* of anything from a QF to a WIN, and still not be #1, according to Boiled Egg's updated rankings (though anything but a slam win these days is mocked by the haters. Tards like Dsanders mock her RU result at the USO last year even though it was just mere months after a pulmonary embolism, whereas it took his fave years to get back to a slam final )

As far as why she ISN'T #1, I think we all know the answer. Serena doesn't have any Fall points, her injury in Australia prevented her from going deep, and Vika/Maria have done well in all the tournaments Serena hasn't played and minimized the point differential earned in the ones they played together. No, Serena did not play a completely full schedule but she did more than she usually does.

I'm not going to bash her scheduling decisions just because she's not supporting the tour at a couple additional low-rent events a year in the fall (which is very irrelevant in the grand scheme of things). Her schedule management is a BIG reason why she's still in the game and in winning form. Y'all will be so lucky for your fave to have this kind of longevity. I hope for your sakes it does cuz I have grown up watching Serena from a pre-teen all the way into my 20's, and it's been a pleasure. It's just not realistic to play the tour at full schedule, full speed, for year after year and expect to last long at a high level. Before Serena earned her dues as a GOAT, she was out there playing a full schedule like Vika has this year and winning (and I'm not bashing Vika doing that, she's young and fresh, so she should make the most of it).

Serena has been the best player this year from her achievements (most titles, most slams, best winning percentage, etc.) as will be reflected by a likely POY award. However, I will agree that Vika has been the most consistent player across 12 months, and got over the Slam-virgin hump after years of being stopped and proceeded to have a historic start to the year. There also is really no gaps in results this year. She is the most consistent player of the year and that is what the #1 ranking is.
Im saying though! and dsanders keeps bringing up that Makarova match like Serena was 100% in that match. She had a sprained ankle for crying out loud. We all know what happened at the US open this year against Makarova when Serena was healthy
Aaron. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #425
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaP View Post
I mean, I dont know what to say. Whether I should respond or just insult you

At this point, I'll just sit back and enjoy your posts before you get banned
How about you don't say anything, cuz people are developing permanent wrinkles in their foreheads from reading your posts.

JN is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #426
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Hot ass mess of a thread.
Ikr? Thanks for contributing as usual.

JN is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #427
country flag SelesGOAT

SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all

Quote:
First off, the 1R loss which everyone claims is why she's not #1, isn't the sole reason why she isn't #1. Serena could have had a *respectable run* of anything from a QF to a WIN, and still not be #1, according to Boiled Egg's updated rankings (though anything but a slam win these days is mocked by the haters. Tards like Dsanders mock her RU result at the USO last year even though it was just mere months after a pulmonary embolism, whereas it took his fave years to get back to a slam final )

As far as why she ISN'T #1, I think we all know the answer. Serena doesn't have any Fall points, her injury in Australia prevented her from going deep, and Vika/Maria have done well in all the tournaments Serena hasn't played and minimized the point differential earned in the ones they played together. No, Serena did not play a completely full schedule but she did more than she usually does.

I'm not going to bash her scheduling decisions just because she's not supporting the tour at a couple additional low-rent events a year in the fall (which is very irrelevant in the grand scheme of things). Her schedule management is a BIG reason why she's still in the game and in winning form. Y'all will be so lucky for your fave to have this kind of longevity. I hope for your sakes it does cuz I have grown up watching Serena from a pre-teen all the way into my 20's, and it's been a pleasure. It's just not realistic to play the tour at full schedule, full speed, for year after year and expect to last long at a high level. Before Serena earned her dues as a GOAT, she was out there playing a full schedule like Vika has this year and winning (and I'm not bashing Vika doing that, she's young and fresh, so she should make the most of it).

Serena has been the best player this year from her achievements (most titles, most slams, best winning percentage, etc.) as will be reflected by a likely POY award. However, I will agree that Vika has been the most consistent player across 12 months, and got over the Slam-virgin hump after years of being stopped and proceeded to have a historic start to the year. There also is really no gaps in results this year. She is the most consistent player of the year and that is what the #1 ranking is.
Great assessment of all.
SelesGOAT is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #428
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Wonderfully reasoned post.
I enjoy reading logical, unbiased, reality-based posts.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #429
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo View Post
Quoted for truth.

It's been literally years since Safina was #1 and she's still responding to this question like Azarenka's current situation is parallel to her experience when that's not the case at all. The media and fans criticized Safina because she was a slamless #1 who folded like a cheap lawn chair in the latter stages of a Grand Slam.

Regardless how sympathetic some fans were to Safina she needed to put her big girl panties on and step up. All of the greats had to deal with getting the Grand Slam monkey off their backs.
Lindsay even talked about how a top player had to get their first Grand Slam win to solidify their position and while stressful it was just a requirement to be considered amongst the best.

Azarenka won the AO, did well at the French, got deep at Wimbledon, and almost won the USO. She has proven her worth and consistency as the current #1 player which is the reason nobody questions her ranking. Safina never stepped up to the plate when it mattered and for that alone her brief stint at #1 will be forgotten.
I personally feel that this is the gist of it.

Safina seems a bit perturbed by the baited question and 'reacted' to its implications.
Her legacy and ranking record was being compared to Serena's and she unfortunately lashed out at Serena, unnecessarily, when she should have directed her scorn at the originator of the question. One would have thought that she'd learn how the media journalists operated by now.
Evidently, the wisdom and maturity level is still lacking.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #430
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
The difference is, unlike Serena fans, when Maria was getting bundled out of Slams by scrubs like Oudin or Kirilenko, we weren't claiming she was the best player in the world (or anywhere close)
Because she's not, not even in the running.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #431
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

30 pages and Sarin fans still don't get Safina was asked a question so gave an honest answer.

Last edited by Nicolás89 : Oct 6th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Nicolás89 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #432
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matías. View Post
30 pages and Sarin fans still don't get Safina was asked a question so gave an honest.
And you haven't learned that it was her response to the question that we'll challenging.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #433
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
And you haven't learned that it was her response to the question that we'll challenging.
That's not what has happenned, you all have been challenging her legitimate dicision to speak and say whatever she feels like saying.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #434
country flag RVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
I don't think it can be made any plainer and clearer than that.

But let's just wait and see if he gets it now.
Maybe it just takes 2 days and 445 posts, and 50 repeats before it sinks in.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #435
country flag SelesGOAT

SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matías. View Post
That's not what has happenned, you all have been challenging her legitimate dicision to speak and say whatever she feels like saying.
You can say what you want but if you say something that makes you look an ass you will be treated as such. She isnt in the public eye anymore, she isnt a professional athlete any longer, she certainly isnt some big celebrity, she does not have to answer any question she doesnt want to or doesnt have a suitable answer for.

Her talking as if Azarenka's #1 ranking is being dissed is a stupid statement on her part since this is not the case. Even Serena fans in this thread almost all agree Azarenka deseves to be ranked #1. Now people do say Serena is the best player, not Azarenka, but the #1 ranking even when deserved, does not always equate to being the best player, the two dont go hand in hand neccessarily. Everyone realizes this except apparently someone as dumb as Safina, who unlike Azarenka was never regarded as even a worthy #1, let alone being close to the best player except maybe in her deluded mind.
SelesGOAT is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread