Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1 - Page 16 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #226
country flag TheLegendof

TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future
Re: Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long and Hard View Post
So you're saying that it is more embarrassing losing to SERENA WILLIAMS no matter in what stage of a tournament than losing to VIRGINIE RAZZANO? Is that what you're saying?
Really, just shut up. PM each other or something
TheLegendof is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #227
spartanfan

spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
The quality of moderation in GM went up 100% when miffedmax became a mod

As for the schedule, one last comment from me:
Obviously Serena played all 4 Slams this year but let's look at the biggest tournmaents outside of the Slams:

Doha: DNP
IW: DNP
Miami: Serena played.
Madrid: Serena played.
Rome: Serena played.
Canada: DNP.
Cincy: Serena played.
Tokyo: DNP
Bejing: DNP

So basically Serena did not play 5 of the 9 biggest tournaments outside of the Slams, that doesn't look like a full schedule to me.
And yet and still she's ranked #4 in the world. Look at all the players who played all the largest tournaments and who are still ranked lower than Serena and who don't have the results that Serena has. Even playing part time Serena's still the best player on the tour.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #228
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendof View Post
Really, just shut up. PM each other or something
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #229
country flag Nabalonge

Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long and Hard View Post
So you're saying that it is more embarrassing losing to SERENA WILLIAMS no matter in what stage of a tournament than losing to VIRGINIE RAZZANO? Is that what you're saying?
Serena losing first round at the French was embarrassing. It doesn't matter who the opponent was. Serena and her fans haven't had the luxury of experiencing a first round slam loss like Maria has so yes, it's embarrassing for the precedent it set. Serena used that loss to motivate her further to accomplish all that she did that summer. I give her props for that. Maria being destroyed at the Olympics was a bad loss for her, but if Maria fans are happy with it only because she went home with a medal, well good for you guys. Especially since you're used to Maria losing to SERENA WILLIAMS. We have different expectations for our favorite players and we all agree Serena is simply better than Maria so anything short of excellence is embarrassing. Not so much for Maria. Cool beans.

Serena won't end the year as #1, but she doesn't have to end that way for me to view her as the best player. With her results this year, I'm very happy so it's good Victoria has had great results as well and she will end ranked as #1, as she should be - no problem at all.

Nabalonge is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #230
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Would those arguing about Serena's ranking please answer my question?
I'll repost it again...

Who is making the argument that Serena should be ranked #1 or that Azarenka does not deserve her #1 ranking?

And...
How about a bonus question...?

Why is Safina stuck in 2009?

D
on't suddenly go into hiding, people. There were statements made by several posters that demand clarification. So please provide evidence that anyone is arguing against Azarenka's current ranking, or that Serena is claiming that she should be ranked #1...please.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #231
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
I agree as well. 1st Rd loss is worse than a loss in the final.

BUT(!!!!) Serena's loss is definitely not as embarrassing as Sharapova's loss in the Olympic Final. That's so fucking obvious, bro.
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #232
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanfan View Post
Even playing part time Serena's still the best player on the tour.

Rankings say otherwise.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #233
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguehi View Post
Serena losing first round at the French was embarrassing. It doesn't matter who the opponent was. Serena and her fans haven't had the luxury of experiencing a first round slam loss like Maria has so yes, it's embarrassing for the precedent it set. Serena used that loss to motivate her further to accomplish all that she did that summer. I give her props for that. Maria being destroyed at the Olympics was a bad loss for her, but if Maria fans are happy with it only because she went home with a medal, well good for you guys. Especially since you're used to Maria losing to SERENA WILLIAMS. We have different expectations for our favorite players and we all agree Serena is simply better than Maria so anything short of excellence is embarrassing. Not so much for Maria. Cool beans.

Serena won't end the year as #1, but she doesn't have to end that way for me to view her as the best player. With her results this year, I'm very happy so it's good Victoria has had great results as well and she will end ranked as #1, as she should be - no problem at all.
what happened happened After her 1st round loss Serena had Wimbledon and the Olympics and she won them both and after Maria's final loss she made the semifinals at the USO not bad don't you think?

The poster whom I early quotes said that it is more embarrassing losing in the finals of the Olympics in the way that Maria did than losing to Razzano in the first round of a slam which everyone expected you to win. We're on the same page for one thing though, me and you, we both agree that Serena's loss was more embarrassing.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #234
spartanfan

spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rankings say otherwise.
If Azarenka is the best player in the world then how come Serena has beaten her FOUR times this year?
Not to mention the fact that Azarenka's record against Serena is 1-10. Does she have a more lop-sided h2h against any other player? It's kinda hard to say you're the best player in the world when you haven't beaten Serena this year.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #235
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfan View Post
Remove my quote from your profile or I will ask a moderator to do it.
What, this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfan View Post
Maria is not some violent black trash from the ghetto with giant arms and a huge ass. She is a cultured, beautiful and someone that people aspire to be.
Why should he, you posted it, didn't you? One would think you'd stand behind your own words.

JN is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #236
country flag tè.

tè. is just really nice tè. is just really nice tè. is just really nice tè. is just really nice tè. is just really nice tè. is just really nice tè. is just really nice tè. is just really nice tè. is just really nice tè. is just really nice tè. is just really nice

wouldn't have ever thought safina would say anything wise
also wouldn't hurt the tour having a separate rating for part time players, cause ever her top 5 spot is kinda insulty for real professional tennis player
tè. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #237
country flag MrSerenaWilliams
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rankings say otherwise.
Just like Hingis was the best player of the year for most of 2001 even though she hadn't won a title in almost a year, or Davenport ending 2001 as #1 without even reaching a major final, right?

#1 =/= best.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #238
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Not to be so obsessed with everything Serena.

nice try, junior. But you talking about 1r losses?! It's just one 1r loss, so what's the thing?!
And before you blah blah about nobodies, go watch the losses Maria's had in her career...then comeback.
I also recall Dokic having an epidemic of those not too long ago. So many that Dominic was forced to change his name.

Last edited by JN : Oct 5th, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
JN is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #239
country flag Kairi

Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
I also recall Dokic having an epidemic of those not too long ago. So many that Dominic was forced to change his name.
Kairi is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #240
country flag Smitten

Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSerenaWilliams View Post
Just like Hingis was the best player of the year for most of 2001
Well, she was until Sarin won Canada and YEC that year.