Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1 - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #166
spartanfan

spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1

Let's be honest here, since they started winning slams Venus and Serena have made a mockery of the #1 ranking. Over the arc of both their careers they both have rarely played more than 15 tournaments a year, yet still managed the top ranked players and win major titles and grand slams without the so called benefit of the #1 title. If you look back over the different periods where Serena held the #1 spot, she at most may have played 13 or 14 tournaments during that time frame. With their lucrative endorsement deals they've never really had to chase after prize money. I think Serena when she is healthy has the mind of a warrior and champion and deeply believes that she is the best player in the world regardless of the ranking beside her name. I don't think Serena has ever been intimidated by her opponents ranking, and she's got plenty of trophys to prove it. Azarenka may be the number 1 player based on points, but I think 99% of the players would rather face her in a slam final (or any final) than have to face Serena in a final. It has nothing to do with the number of tournaments a player plays, one of the reasons why Safina's career is OVER is because she overplayed in too many tournaments, its the same thing that's happening to Jankovic right now. Over playing just wears down a players body over time. Simple as that.
The bottom line is that there are a lot of players and a lot of haters who are jealous, yes I said JEALOUS, that Serena can simply play 13 tournaments in a year, win two Grand Slams, and the Olympic gold metal, while trashing the #1 and #2 players along the way, and still be within striking distance of being #1. Do you think that by calling Serena a "part-time" player that she gives a rats ass? LMFAO. She's been doing this for most of her professional career. Don't be mad that your favorite or the #1 player in the world can't beat a "part-time" player. LOL. But it does make the full time players who bitch about it look even worse.

Last edited by spartanfan : Oct 5th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
spartanfan is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #167
spartanfan

spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakarovaFan View Post
Serena has played a full schedule this year?? She has played
12 events( counting YEC13 events) the ENTiRE year!!!
I'm sorry but in what world is that a full schedule?? Being a lot for
Serena does NOT mean a lot for the year,but then again what can I
expect from her stans
You also forget that Serena played Fed Cup and was sidelined with an ankle injury early in the season, but continue being pressed. Serena has proved over the arc of her career that she doesn't need to play 18+ tournaments in a year to get to #1. Why over play if she doesn't have to?
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #168
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The No. 1 is not the tennis player who selectively plays major tournaments, even winning them, but the one who is stable over the full season. Ranking is a set of performances at all tournaments.
Of course! The only thing strange about the statement is that there are people who don't get that.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #169
country flag freefallball

freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Of course! The only thing strange about the statement is that there are people who don't get that.
People get that. But Serena haters (and some Kim haters) don't. For them, it kills them when the YE#1 cannot be the best player because there is somebody out there who snatched their slams and humiliated them along the way. Afterall, these 2 "part timers" snatched 9 of the 16 grand slams from 2009-2012. Of course they are pissed. Imagine how much more their Maria, Caro, Aga, Vika could win without these 2 "part timers". They want their favourites to be YE#1 and the undisputed best player. It doesn't help when Serena went on to pick up 2 Grand Slam doubles on top of the 2 Slams + 1 Olympics Gold.

It is not about the #1. People have pretty much accept that you don't win the #1 by winning the most slams.
freefallball is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #170
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Vika served for her chance to be the legitimate year-end #1 and blew it. On the other hand, she's the closest thing we've had to a legitimate #1 since the rankings imploded back in '08.

The knock on Serena is always going to be her failure to be a dominant #1 in the manner of Navritalova, Graf, etc. That may be a reflection of the competitive era she played in, or it may be the start of a new pattern (I think there is some truth to the theory that the new schedule does wear players done faster than the tour did in the '80s) but we won't know for sure for awhile. But it's important to remember that knock only applies vs. the other all-time greats, and not against Serena's contemporaries as she has had quite a few weeks at #1 during her era.

I'm old-fashioned enough I would like to see the #1 ranking mean something again, but frankly that's on Vika now. She has to step up and beat Serena at a major--or maybe it will be somebody else.

Deja Kitchner?
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #171
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakarovaFan View Post
Serena has played a full schedule this year?? She has played
12 events( counting YEC13 events) the ENTiRE year!!!
I'm sorry but in what world is that a full schedule?? Being a lot for
Serena does NOT mean a lot for the year,but then again what can I
expect from her stans
Yet still, in those 12 events she has played the same amount of matches as those who played more tournaments. She has won 1/2 of the tournaments she has played. What more do you want.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #172
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta View Post
Really? No please say you are not this crazy? Naw, I'm not going to believe it....
Ahem puh-lease tell me you are kidding, losing in the firts round of a major to an absolute nobody is one gazillion times worse than losing in the final of the olympics to Servena. It's not even close to being close.. If you don't see that, (or won't admit that), you are truly hopeless.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #173
SerenaSlam

SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future SerenaSlam has a brilliant future

Should we be counting matches played or tournaments played? Because when you look at it the first way what argument exists?

Let The Word....Do the Work...

Speak over YOURSELF...

Follow Me! @CedricEarl
SerenaSlam is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #174
country flag romismak

romismak is just really nice romismak is just really nice romismak is just really nice romismak is just really nice romismak is just really nice romismak is just really nice romismak is just really nice romismak is just really nice romismak is just really nice romismak is just really nice romismak is just really nice

Fact is Serena can be best player in the world, but it doesn´t mean automatically No.1, we have seen this before with other players. Serena may end up year with most big titless, and can be considered as best player of 2012, but Vika´s season had been so far amazing, under different circumstances Serena may be even No.1 but Vika´s season was great and so was Maria´s. Serena has play less tournament than other top players and that´s most likely the difference. If Vika will end up No.1 she deserved if, because she was playing whole season at high level reacihing F, SF practically at all important tournaments.
romismak is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #175
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaSlam View Post
Should we be counting matches played or tournaments played? Because when you look at it the first way what argument exists?
Well whether you consider she played a full schedule or not, she is still not number 1 so you are right there is no genuine argument
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #176
country flag LoveFifteen
Gone with the Wind fabulous!

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Queen Serena does not have time for these peasants. But she is a gracious queen and will spare their lives.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #177
country flag Shivank17

Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute

She is right Serena missed like 2 of the 4 Premier Mandatory tourney for starters, so you can't expect her to become No.1 just like that considering Vika and Maria have been so consistent this year.

Career Grand Slam + Silver Medalist.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
Twitter: @Shivank17
Shivank17 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #178
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Ahem puh-lease tell me you are kidding, losing in the firts round of a major to an absolute nobody is one gazillion times worse than losing in the final of the olympics to Servena. It's not even close to being close.. If you don't see that, (or won't admit that), you are truly hopeless.
I see you haven't learned much during your ban.

Anyways, what's with this lost 1r blah blah?! Yeah..Serena lost 1r for the first time in her career...but look how she responded: wimbledon, olympic gold, u.s. open.

So even in this year, she still left Masha and pretty much everybody in the dust...that's why she'll be player of the year.

For the no.1 rank?! Nah, Vika has been greatly consistent and Serena's had some subpar results at the major, soo...
bandabou is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #179
country flag Miss Atomic Bomb

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Well, in his defence, he wasn't banned for being incredibly stupid but for being a racist. Maybe he has learned something in that department during his ban?

But evidence shows that ignorant racists never really change their views or behavior, so maybe you are right.

Last edited by Miss Atomic Bomb : Oct 5th, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #180
country flag Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post

Anyways, what's with this lost 1r blah blah?! Yeah..Serena lost 1r for the first time in her career...but look how she responded: wimbledon, olympic gold, u.s. open.

So even in this year, she still left Masha and pretty much everybody in the dust...that's why she'll be player of the year.

For the no.1 rank?! Nah, Vika has been greatly consistent and Serena's had some subpar results at the major, soo...
And what was I supposed to learn exactly in relation to that? That losing in a final is worse than losing in a first round? ok. Whether I was banned or not, Serena is still a bitch, I'm not gonna start denying that lol

As usual your entire post has nothing to do with/is not replying to what I said. So Servena has played great in some tournaments this year? Great, I can't deny that. Does this mean her first round loss to a nobody is somehow less embarrassing than Maria's loss in the finals at the olympics? No, and that was all I was saying.
Closed Thread