Curse of Indian Wells - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #16
country flag lenas warriors

lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Curse of Indian Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriy View Post
Your attempt seems contrived (on one hand - for some players - you're focusing on short term temporary issues - on the other hand for other players you're randomly focusing on their entire career after winning IW).

Two can play that game on almost any tournament.

For example Miami:

-2002-2004, 2007-2008 winner Serena = loses a sister in a random shootout, mysteriously steps on a broken glass and gets injured
-2005 winner Kim = is the same as that year's IW winner so she was already cursed according to you
-2006 winner Kuzzy = her career is in the toilet (much worse than Dani's)
-2009 winner Vika = didnt' win any thing else (just like 2012)
-2010 winner Kim = lost to the world no. 258 at the start of the clay season (the rest of the clay season is dumped after that)
-2011 winner Vika = starts fainting multiples of times that year
-2012 winner Aga = loses Tokyo/Beijing and is injured
Again i wasnt the originator of this. Something that fellow tennis geeks i know, who dont do TF, talk about (as if it was a given).

I see the logic behind it but i didnt come up with the notion. Have just shared as wasnt sure if others here had heard of it or if it was a more local idea.
Amaze-arenka, Shit-ova and Halep
Hantuchova, Petrova, Zvonareva, Goerges, Koukalova, The Other Czechs, Halep, Keys, Townsend, Paszek
Li, Sharapova, Pavlyuchenkova, Makarova, The Other Russians, Kerber, Kanepi, Shvedova, Martic, Watson, Robson, Kimiko, Barthel, Erakovic
lenas warriors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #17
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't include Vika in the curse. She had that dominate streak at the beginning of the year and since then she lost to Martha in Stuttgart Finals, Serena in Madrid Finals and Serena again, in the US Open finals. No shame in any of those final losses. It's not like she won't win another title very soon.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #18
country flag nemurenai

nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute nemurenai has a reputation beyond repute

This "curse" manifested the year after the Serena/Venus incident.
Jehova is a vengeful and powerful God.
nemurenai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #19
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

You do realize it's not really an issue if you have to say "okay she did this but...." for every single year

tweetweet
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #20
spartanfan

spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemurenai View Post
This "curse" manifested the year after the Serena/Venus incident.
Jehova is a vengeful and powerful God.
*THIS* Serena stops playing IW and goes on to win 14 more Grand Slam Titles. You do the math....
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #21
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, it's just that IW was relegated to B-level tournament and then you got B-level winners.

Serena made it her mission to not only win Miami almost yearly BUT also made sure that the Miami winner was always the one dominating at the majors.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #22
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
I call bullshit on this one.

Some of the reasons in there are cop-outs (future injury problems etc.) and listing Vika is a joke as well. She has since then recaptured the #1 ranking, won a gold & bronze medal, a slam SF & F and has a comfortable lead in the ranking.

Caro was cursed by something else but it sure as hell isn't IW.
Congrats to Vika fans like you
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #23
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanfan View Post
*THIS* Serena stops playing IW and goes on to win 14 more Grand Slam Titles. You do the math....
This...IW '01 was the best thing that could've happened to Serena.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #24
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

This curse is probably another thing from the Miami PR machine, first its the 5th slam now its only 2 week rival is cursed.

Damn Miami PR companies are good
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #25
country flag dany.p

dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Nah, it's just that IW was relegated to B-level tournament and then you got B-level winners.

Serena made it her mission to not only win Miami almost yearly BUT also made sure that the Miami winner was always the one dominating at the majors.
So your saying Azarenka, Henin, Clijsters, Sharapova are B-level winners.

Uhhm, Interesting.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #26
country flag DefyingGravity

DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dany.p View Post
So your saying Azarenka, Henin, Clijsters, Sharapova are B-level winners.

Uhhm, Interesting.
I think he's trying to reference Hantuchova more than anything.
Sabine Lisicki, Zheng Jie, Garbine Muguruza, Vera Zvonareva, Caroline Garcia
Monica Seles (9), Lindsay Davenport (3), Kim Clijsters (4), Sandrine Testud
DefyingGravity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #27
country flag kris719

kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute

2005- kim wins u.s. open
2006- maria wins u.s. open
2012- vika should have won u.s. open

just off the top of my head

Quebec City 2012
kris719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #28
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendof View Post
-- at least Serena won't have to worry about this spooky curse. And who says racism is never a good thing?
I say that and everyone in my family says that too!
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #29
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
This...IW '01 was the best thing that could've happened to Serena.
I'm going to have to disagree with that... although some wounds make you stronger they usually also scar you for life. I tend to believe Serena was strong enough, talented enough to be at the top of the WTA without the hurt caused by IW, but that's just my opinion.
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #30
country flag Serenus Christ

Serenus Christ has a reputation beyond repute Serenus Christ has a reputation beyond repute Serenus Christ has a reputation beyond repute Serenus Christ has a reputation beyond repute Serenus Christ has a reputation beyond repute Serenus Christ has a reputation beyond repute Serenus Christ has a reputation beyond repute Serenus Christ has a reputation beyond repute Serenus Christ has a reputation beyond repute Serenus Christ has a reputation beyond repute Serenus Christ has a reputation beyond repute

Isha, Queen of Voodoo