What is mass (physics)? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #1
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
What is mass (physics)?

I just started musing on how we still haven't really answered that question. Or to be more specific, we still haven't clearly explained the concept. And before you reply with one or more of the definitions - I know them all. And they all fall short of being much other than circular arguments.
Advertisement

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #2
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is mass (physics)?

I think we probably have to wait until the existence of the Higgs boson is confirmed to answer this question.
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

We don't even know what the force is.

R.I.P. Bally
Sammo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #4
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Just my mindset today - musing on how, when you get right down to it, our objective explanations of "reality" are - in reality (sorry . . heh)- not much more than guesstimates and conjecture. Sure we can see the obvious - gravity accelerates an object at x m/s/s but saying what gravity is . . .
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #5
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
I just started musing on how we still haven't really answered that question. Or to be more specific, we still haven't clearly explained the concept. And before you reply with one or more of the definitions - I know them all. And they all fall short of being much other than circular arguments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Yeah. Just my mindset today - musing on how, when you get right down to it, our objective explanations of "reality" are - in reality (sorry . . heh)- not much more than guesstimates and conjecture. Sure we can see the obvious - gravity accelerates an object at x m/s/s but saying what gravity is . . .
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #6
country flag pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
I hope you enjoy your nap. Oh and thanks for adding value to the discussion. Yeah . .hmm . ..that nap? Make it a long one.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #7
country flag Sally Struthers

Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute

we still don't really know how magnets work either.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Morning Morgan

Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute

Well the main aim of physics today is to unite all phenomenon under the same theoretical model, and the leading candidate for everything that excludes non-quantum effects is the Standard Model. The proposed origin of mass is due to the fields exerted by something called the Higgs boson. In essence, imagine the Higgs particle exerting a field throughout the universe very much like a swimming pool. If something interacts very weakly with the field, just like a streamlined body in a pool of water, it will have very little mass. If it interacts strongly, then it will have large mass. Some special particles, like photons of light, are proposed to have no.interactions at all, and they manifest themselves as massless particles.

This is also why the Higgs boson is such a big deal in the media recently, because the high energy collider at CERN can actually detect energy signatures that are specific to the Higgs boson, and hence providing first proof of the completeness of the Standard Model. But the physics is definitely continually being explored, but this is the best candidate we have so far for the origin of mass.

"No, I'm not. But with you, I don't even care."

Last edited by Morning Morgan : Oct 13th, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Morning Morgan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote